Stack fault with: JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE3.Only.Install.DVD.iso

21 posts in this topic

I just recently downloaded the new JaS.10.4.8.Intel.SSE3.Only.Install.DVD.iso

and attempted to follow the instructions at: OSX86

but each time, after I've booted up and pressed enter to begin the installation process, VMWare halts with this error message

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

I've tried setting the Guest OS as FreeBSD, Other and WinNT as the guide suggests, but it doesn't work.

I have a Dell E510 with a DualCore Intel Pentium D 820 processor. It does support SSE3.

VMWare version 5.5.2 build 29772

The rest of my hardware shouldn't matter since it's a virtual machine anyway right?

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

This stack overflow is not necessarily caused by the original corrupt release..

I have the newest iso -- the reseed -- and I'm also getting the same error.

I have tried using FreeBSD 64bit as well with no luck.

Any ideas?

I had the same issue so i opened up the iso with transmac and replaced mach_kernel with semthex's latest build.

Now it starts loading kext then stops with "Still waiting for root device".

I have tried mounting the ISO in DT, swapping around the HHD locations etc

Still no joy.

I have a AMD 4200 x2 on a DFI board

Even the new jas reseed dvd still uses an "old" semthex kernel. From that one it is known to have this bug in vmware. Dropping the new kernel in indeed solves the stack error, but I too don't know how to get further.

(old in the sense that it has the vmware bug)

I think I remember that Maxxuss did something to the early releases to allow Vmware to work. So if Jas has done an all new release it might have got missed off. Or it's something to do with the sse2 and amd.

I'm going to install an older version and update.

But it looks like there is nothing us mortals can do.

Thanks to all the work of others something might happen on this front, when they get around to it.

But I don't like to use any disposable media if I can help it.

Free30

Well guys, did a lot of research about this problem... since I'm having the same problems.

Replacing the kernel in the ISO in fact fixes the stack error (reboot thing), but we all get the "Still waiting for root device" error !!!

It seems after talking with semthex and othe people in IRC that the error is located in the SMBIOS kext file. At the moment the only fix is installing and older osX version and the upgrade and patch it, but it's very painfull to do this.

I found in the DVD the mkext file that stores the DVD Boot system files and replaced there the SMBIOS with a modified one... but still no luck at the moment. Will keep you informed guys...

Oh, by the way I have a P4 SS3 capable so it's not an AMD problem.

A.

I have no experience with this, but after glancing some FAQ's and the forums I found this. Taken from:

http://semthex.freeflux.net/nebukadnezar-faq/

Q: In VMWare it stalls with "still waiting for root device"

A: Use 10.4.7 IOATAFamily.kext or older.

Provided that this works, I would assume the patch that was done to IOATAFamily.kext might have to be done again, or a new patch might have to be applied to the 10.4.8 version.

I also could be completely wrong :)

At first I was using VMserver which doesn't give the stack error, it just restarts. Now i'm using VMworkstation and i'm getting the stack fault. Something else strange mine does is if I set it to winnt it complains that the guest OS is 64-bit and i'm setting it to 32-bit. So I can't set my guestos to winnt, i have to set it to other-64 or freebsd-64, and I encounter the stack fault error. I started another post earlier about this because I didnt know it was the stack fault error, so please disregard my other post, i'll start putting my findings in here.

Guys read what he says. The stack fault is purely caused by the kernel, since replacing the kernel with a newer one fixes it. No reason to keep adding "I get the stack error too".

reseed or no reseed 10.4.8 it doesn't make a difference. Untill you drop in the new kernel, you will get a stack fault.

Well guys, did a lot of research about this problem... since I'm having the same problems.

Replacing the kernel in the ISO in fact fixes the stack error (reboot thing), but we all get the "Still waiting for root device" error !!!

It seems after talking with semthex and othe people in IRC that the error is located in the SMBIOS kext file. At the moment the only fix is installing and older osX version and the upgrade and patch it, but it's very painfull to do this.

I found in the DVD the mkext file that stores the DVD Boot system files and replaced there the SMBIOS with a modified one... but still no luck at the moment. Will keep you informed guys...

Oh, by the way I have a P4 SS3 capable so it's not an AMD problem.

A.

• 5 months later...

is their any solution to get the iso working? i dont want to have to redownload an iso all over again.. what files to replace in the iso and where to get them? my email is modman860@yahoo.com if anyone is kind enough to email them to me. thanks!