Very high memory usage

naquaada

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I have a problem which is not uncommon in Mavericks, but there is not really a solution.

When I start the system fresh, I have already more than 5 GiB memory allocated. I had Mail, Firefox, Path Finder and Terminal open and sent the computer to sleep, no hibernate mode. After waking up, more than 12 GiB were used. After the terminal command sudo purge it went to about 7.72 GiB, without any new programs it is now 9.37 GiB. The screenshot below shows my memory usage list, after xpcd all tasks have below 10 MiByte.

Various users are reporting that problem, it seems to be a new memory management in Mavericks that uses the main memory before using Swap. But in Leopard I had always more than 2 GiB free RAM, with only 4 GiB real RAM. I had to start lots and lots of programs to fill it. Here the system slows extremely down if real memory gets end, Firefox and other programs were really stuck for longer time, I had this problem often. It took a long time until I checked the memory usage - Firefox needed about 15 GiB RAM and more than 30 GiB virtual memory. That's not normal. In more than 8 years of Leopard never these extreme lagging in normal Firefox use, and also no memory overflow.

New memory managment whatever, are there some methods to control it?

Greets, naquaada

post-30028-0-84426100-1478623722_thumb.png