Dell PowerEdge T20 with Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU

e60

49 posts in this topic

Hello again.

I got my T20 but haven't got too far in setting it up as I've bashing my head against the wall trying to get the GPU to work. Everything I have read indicates that the GT640 should work OOTB but I can only boot with nv_disable=1. Without it, I do get a login screen at the correct resolution for a few seconds, then the screen starts flickering on and (mostly) off. It isn't switching on and off at a constant rate, it is random and sometimes some artifacts appear. It hasn't crashed though, I can login or shutdown if I am quick. I tried an El Capitan installer USB stick and when it gets to the first install screen it does much the same thing (expect it is on more than off but it a similar effect), so I don't think it is a Sierra issue. I am starting to wonder if the card is incompatible with the T20 although on paper there shouldn't be a problem - so far I only have a single SSD installed so there shouldn't be much power draw. 

Anyway, I tried reverting back to the internal GPU and it is pretty much flicker free - although it does not appear to be providing hardware acceleration as some screen refreshes are slow. Compared to my Elitebook 2560p (HD3000) it is a lot slower. Is this expected or is it working natively for you e60? I tried out your config.plist and DSDT but I may not have gone through all the correct steps, I am fairly new to the whole SSDT/DSDT customisation process. I have been reading up on it but haven't got my hands dirty in the way you folks have. I tried out your config.plist (I updated the SMIBIOS with a new serial) and added your DSDT - is that correct, can I use the DSDT as it is?

Have you got HD4600 hardware acceleration working or did you recommend the GT 710 for this reason? On paper they both benchmark about the same, so I'd rather not purchase it unless I have to. 

Thanks again!

EDIT: Forgot to add, system information shows that the HD4600 has 7Mb RAM...

Hi timefortea. Because of your configuration problems you should open a new thread over here. This one is only DSDT related. But, just one side note. How did you connect your Monitor to the GT640? Or in other words, which port you're using (VGA / DVI / HDMI)? 

The internal GPU should work without any issues using RehabMans FakePCIID.kext, but lets clarify this in your "new Thread.

Hi there e60,

I must apologise for hijacking your thread - and it seems that I need to go away and learn a lot more before posting. I hadn't installed FakePCIID and after doing so now have the internal GPU working properly. 

BTW, I was using HDMI with the Nvidia card - it also has two DVIs but they don't work at all, which I sort of expected.

Thanks for getting back to me - I'll be sure to start a new thread when required :)

You don't have to apologize! :) Hijacking a thread is something totally different in my opinion. :) I've only suggested a new thread because of better clarity. :)

But back to topic. Here are two updated DSDT versions. I've edited out some unused devices and corrected an accidentally renamed Device.  :poster_oops:  MaLd0n took a look at this version and "gave his ok". ;)

There are two versions because of the wake behavior. Using Version 1 you can wake your Computer from sleep using Mouse or Keyboard. Using Version 2 you have to use the Power Button to wake your machine. It enables an deeper sleep.

Finally the most important thing! Many, many thanks to MaLd0n for his amazing work! Without his help there wouldn't be this great result. :)

*Update*

Newest Version can be found here

No problem, I will go back to trying the Nvidia card when i get more time, for now I am happy with things the way they are.

I tried version 1 of your DSDT and it works well. Can I ask, what are the SSDTs for that you previously included? I haven't used them and wonder if I should? The only thing I spotted (so far) that isn't right is that my memory is being incorrectly reported as 1777MHz in about my mac (it is 1600MHz and is listed as that in the BIOS info). It doesn't really matter if it isn't causing any issues but I was wondering if any of your other corrections address things like this. 

Thanks to both of you for working on this!

You need SSDT 5-7 because I've renamed some Devices to be more Mac like and without using them you would get several ACPI namespace lookup failures. The SSDT without numbers is CPU / Power Management related and was created using Pike's ssdtPRGen.sh script. So if your T20 is also equipped with the Xeon processor you can use it too.

*Edit*

Which brand is the graphics card you've used? You should use a model with NVIDIA reference design. Many people recommend EVGA cards but I had massive problems with a EVGA brandet GT740. My MSI card is working without any issues oob.

The graphics card is an Asus - this one. I used it because I had it spare but the way the screen behaves (going black and flashing back on briefly every so often) it feels as though it is a compatibility issue. I haven't tried it again since I got the internal GPU configured properly. 

Thanks.

Post here if you need help to get your T20 up and running. :)

hello e60 i don't have that system but i have a z230 workstation from HP

I have the same chipset and the same cpu/gpu...

I have more than a week triying to make it work and nothing... 

please if you can share some steps ill appreciate  it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated my DSDT / SSDTs once again, because the previous versions caused a kernel panic on boot when only using the iGPU. Here you can find the final version with all improvements like working USB 3.0, native Power Management, the ability to use two Monitors with the integrated GPU etc.

There are two different versions. With V1 you're able to wake your computer using your keyboard or mouse. V2 enables a deep sleep and you have to use the power button to wake your machine. 

Once again many thanks to MaLd0n for his help!

*Files were updated once again*

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes another update. MaLd0n made some improvements and added some new patches, so all credits deserve him :) 

Furthermore I made a new DSDT / new SSDTs for people who flashed their T20 with Dell's T1700 Bios. You can find these files in the T1720 attachment. The new files also include MaLd0n's improvements / patches.

Dell T20 Release.zip

Dell T1720 Release.zip

• Like 2

Hi there,

I haven't had any issues recently apart from a few kernel crashes due to the IntelMausiEthernet driver (I have the latest v2.2 installed) but I installed your latest DSDT (v1) and SSDTs anyway - all looking good so far. I haven't had any crashes related to the iGPU, well as far as I know I haven't anyway. Let me know if there is anything I should look out for or if you want me to test anything.

Thanks again to both of you.

• 5 months later...

Just got my hands on a Dell Poweredge T430 with a Xeon e5. Seems it's same chipset as the T20. I tried with an nVidia Quadro400 first... with PCIRootUID=1 Sierra installer gets quite far but reboots when the video is switched to full res and the installer is supposed to load. So I figured that video card is not suitable. Ordered a brand new nvidia 1050Ti card, but with it in place, i don't even get video for Clover to come up... screen is just blank... regardless which port i use...

The built in video is not running any further than Clover... 

This issue is somewhat new to me... while having about 5 different machines with all kinds of chipsets and video cards running for years, I'm sort of stumped about what's going on here...

Any ideas....?

From what this thread says and how far you got on T20s, it should be possible to get this rig running... or not!?

@A.CANO

please excuse the delay. you can use my installations guide over here. Just scroll to post #234. here you will find all the necessary files in post #359. Last but not least, if you want to cross flash your T20 to the T1700 bios, just follow the steps over here in post #3557

@svenology

Sorry, no idea. Please post in graphics section.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 4:04 AM, e60 said:

Hey Guys,

it took some time but I've managed to get everything up and running. Suggestions for improvements are very welcome!

*Update*

Newest Version can be found here

Thank you! I was looking for it for 2 days! I'm glad to find it now!

• 6 months later...

Hello folks. 

Just spent a day upgrading my T20 from Sierra to Mojave - well by upgrade I mean I swapped in a new SSD and did a fresh install, I wanted to be able to stick the old SSD back in if I couldn't get it working! Seems to have all gone ok using DSDT/SSDTs from  @e60 / @MaLd0n that were previously linked to in this thread, I didn't have to do anything special (I used the v2 DSDT for the deeper sleep). I did have one freeze of the desktop during use yesterday but haven't encountered it again, will post here if it comes back.

18 minutes ago, timefortea said:

Hello folks. 

Just spent a day upgrading my T20 from Sierra to Mojave - well by upgrade I mean I swapped in a new SSD and did a fresh install, I wanted to be able to stick the old SSD back in if I couldn't get it working! Seems to have all gone ok using DSDT/SSDTs from  @e60 / @MaLd0n that were previously linked to in this thread, I didn't have to do anything special (I used the v2 DSDT for the deeper sleep). I did have one freeze of the desktop during use yesterday but haven't encountered it again, will post here if it comes back.

post files with original tables, use f4 in clover boot screen and run it

RunMe.app

3 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

post files with original tables, use f4 in clover boot screen and run it

RunMe.app

I'm just reporting that it's all still working well with Mojave on the T20, in case anyone else is thinking about it, that's all. I'm not requesting help :)

18 minutes ago, timefortea said:

I'm just reporting that it's all still working well with Mojave on the T20, in case anyone else is thinking about it, that's all. I'm not requesting help :)

the edits is very old, have some news

enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...