[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12.x on Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5

SavageAUS

97 posts in this topic

Thanks @cyberdevs sometimes my answers aren't the most explanatory as I use my phone to reply on occasions and I have the wife factor as well lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For anyone interested this is my rig. Since this pic I have added an m.2 drive and removed 1 spinner and added WiFi though. And tidied cables more.

31cb71a4704b30f9dd16bb4c8e91a7a9.jpg

just reinstalled Sierra, just for curiosity, if i can manage to install it again and get the nvidia working. same problems.

ended up using the AGDPfix http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/424-agdpfix/

and this works.

Still have this issue(also before reinstalling) when i shutdown, it looks the pc shutsdown but it boots up again. ACPI: FixShutdown is checked.

i've adde dmy config plist

config_plist.txt

Hi!

i can´t inject nvidia driver.

i have on system parameters NvidiaWeb enable

but nvidia driver is never injected.

I have a Ga-z170z gaming 3 with F20 bios

i5

gtx 960

Help Please

If a install with ##### what should i do???

Attach config.plist.

• Like 1

Hi I think I have send you a config.plist from my 10.11 instalation this is is okay. Later today I will send you the config.plist from the macos sierra

I'm to tiered now for continuing. See you later and thanks for the help

Enviado do meu SM-G935F através de Tapatalk

Ok thanks. The app for downloading the Web drivers is really necessary or I can install the driver i downloaded before. I'm asking that because in your guide there is a moment that you said if your version of macos isn't supported by the" web version" to click on the button NVDASTARTUPWEB. Kext.

Before bios F20 upgrade and the problems that cause,  I was able to inject nvidia drivers, a version one I have downloaded previously.
THANKS again

Ok thanks. The app for downloading the Web drivers is really necessary or I can install the driver i downloaded before. I'm asking that because in your guide there is a moment that you said if your version of macos isn't supported by the" web version" to click on the button NVDASTARTUPWEB. Kext.

Before bios F20 upgrade and the problems that cause,  I was able to inject Nvidia drivers, a version one I have downloaded previously.

THANKS again

It´s working now.

What differences are in the new config.plist to the file i send you in the beginning .

I can't remember of the top of my head I would have to compare them tomorrow but I believe I disabled nv_disable=1 and added in system parameters the nvidiaweb.

You will always need to most up to date drivers for your version of osx.

Thanks for sharing the guide. It's awesome that fakecpuid is no longer needed. Was that a change in Sierra or El Cap?

My system is slightly different hardware, but still Broadwell-E. I still need fakecpuid in 10.12.1 or else the boot stalls at the row of plusses.

I use a 6950x on a X99 Designare board.

Can I follow this guide for a Gigabyte z170n-gaming 5 motherboard?

I just put all the hardware together, don't need to install windows first right?

Without knowing full specs it's hard to say but in general yes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for guide, it solved my problems which I had with this board. I have N version of board and guide is ok for it.

I had some minor problems during install, but it was mainly because I wasn't careful enough to follow guide. Before I install it, I did reset CMOS, load defaults and then followed guide.

After instal Nvidia did not work. I had correct drivers and I did checked twice that I deleted all what I had to in plist. So I had to boot few times with nd_disable=1 and finaly agdpfix did solve it for me.

Didn't check audio and iMessage yet.

Working:

Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5, bios F20
ethernet
Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti

Not working:
wifi+bluetooth - I am waiting for new card

shutdown - it just restarts

Thank you for guide, it solved my problems which I had with this board. I have N version of board and guide is ok for it.

I had some minor problems during install, but it was mainly because I wasn't careful enough to follow guide. Before I install it, I did reset CMOS, load defaults and then followed guide.

After instal Nvidia did not work. I had correct drivers and I did checked twice that I deleted all what I had to in plist. So I had to boot few times with nd_disable=1 and finaly agdpfix did solve it for me.

Didn't check audio and iMessage yet.

Working:

Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5, bios F20

ethernet

Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti

Not working:

wifi+bluetooth - I am waiting for new card

shutdown - it just restarts

Have you tried ticking the fix shutdown box in clover configurator?

• 1 month later...

Just updated to 10.12.3

After update I lost NVIDIA driver, but also NVIDIA asked me if I want to install updated driver, so I said yes and it installed automatically. Just before pressing restart button in installer I run once again agdpfix (not sure if its necesary) to make sure it will work after restart. Then press restart and when it booted back driver was working. All together it took about 15min.

• 1 month later...

Thanks @SavageAUS for this guide. It help me make new EFI folder for Gaming 3. Maybe you should REMOVE all reference to VoodooHDA in your guide. Because I installed Voodoo first, didnt work, screwed up the auido for toldea script. Then I had to fresh install MacOS from scratch again. Anyhow all the rest is pretty good explanations. Many thanks. I continue to work on improving my Gaming 3 EFI folder.

[EDITED] Update:

My USB 3 ports all works fine.

Remaining issues:

* HD530 Multiple monitors (can only do by hot-plugging method).

* Sleep does not work.

* Can't set DVMT in BIOS higher than 64MB (but maybe it doesnt matter).

* Toleda’s HDMI audio script, it didnt work for me ( https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverHDMI/ ).

Overall, most is working quite well now.

Here is link to my clover config, revision 2, this is for the Gaming 3:

https://www.anonfiles.cc/file/d0f8e4449655baa2568ebcbb6b153828

version

=============
* d4.1703-r2
* Gigabyte ga-z170x gaming-3
* MacOS Sierra 10.12.3, build 16D32
* Clover_v2.4k_r4012