Help Test Quicksilver B43 (Universal)!

Swad

6 posts in this topic

We've been asked by the good folks over at Quicksilver to help test their newest universal binary, B43.

You can find the beta version for download here. Universal plug-ins should be coming shortly - if there are any that you absolutely have to have before the rest, let us know in this thread.

Alcor asked that we use this thread for bug reports and any comments that you might have! Thanks and happy testing!

I, for one, have been running the installer for about 2 1/2 hours or so, and the setup hangs at the "Catalog Scan" stage forever - it went slow on a few, but it seems to be officially hung on the "Performing Initial Scan: Scanning Quicksilver Catalog Entries" step.

I'm running 10.4.1.

weird - i've been running Quicksilver (Universal) for ages now. I originally installed the PPC version and then configured it to grab bleeding-edge versions, so it duly updated itself to a Universal Binary. runs 100% no problems at all on my 10.4.1 system.

have you tried maxxuss' 10.4.2 exec patch? i havent yet, but if the latest version has been built with the 10.4.2 devkit, it might help...?

weird - i've been running Quicksilver (Universal) for ages now. I originally installed the PPC version and then configured it to grab bleeding-edge versions, so it duly updated itself to a Universal Binary. runs 100% no problems at all on my 10.4.1 system.

have you tried maxxuss' 10.4.2 exec patch? i havent yet, but if the latest version has been built with the 10.4.2 devkit, it might help...?

Therefore, the installer is broken. The x86 version runs fine, it's just the installer that won't work. Sorry, Mashugly! :)

Yeah, it would appear that the reason it works is that you updated from the PPC version, so the necessary installable parts were already there.

If I go ahead and finish the setup (as in, click on "Finish") everything seeminly works fine - I just didn't click ahead since it said it was still working on the catalog.

But I'd love to have others' experiences, though. We really should try to push the limits of the program so that we can figure out any bugs that may exist. I suppose that's what beta testing is all about...

So, keep telling us of your experiences!

I tried it out on my Inspiron 1100 (celeron 2.4Ghz - SSE2) 256MB.

I skipped cataloging.

Changed the interface to primer. The visual effects are very fast.

Messed a bit with the configuration.

Finding items is fast. I tried a lot of actions and they worked as expected.

I didn't manage to get Safari bookmarks and history to get cataloged. Disabled them in the catalog, re-enabled 'em, restarted Quicksilver, forced to rescan, but still nothing from Safari.

Since I tried (and failed) to install some Safari plugins, my install isn't clean so somebody else should try to confirm if the problem comes from QS.