[GUIDE] [10.12] Sierra on Tab!

midi-sama

87 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, erfoz said:

Well, i've just updated to High Sierra (latest Public beta and possible GM). Updated Clover to the last version (r4200) and the kexts in the Other folder (AppleAlc, etc so you have sound after the update). Of course no Wacom drivers yet, but everything else is working fine, APFS included. Noticeable faster for me, too.

Hey erfoz, Have you updated to 10.13.3 yet? How is APFS still working for you? I trying to decide if I should update to High Sierra. My ativ triple boots and runs great on Sierra thanks to midi-sama awesome guide. You mine uploading your clover folder to look at. Thanks, Cam

3 minutes ago, Cameleer said:

Hey erfoz, Have you updated to 10.13.3 yet? How is APFS still working for you? I trying to decide if I should update to High Sierra. My ativ triple boots and runs great on Sierra thanks to midi-sama awesome guide. You mine uploading your clover folder to look at. Thanks, Cam

On my experience with HS on HD4000 systems similar to ATIV, I think it's ok to upgrade, you will still need to fix brightness after the upgrade. I recommend you TO NOT USE APFS. Skip the conversion, as it creates many issues (I dont have the tablet with me, but I do have many SSDs at home, some work fine with APFS, others dont, as they show slowness and corrupt data), so the safest way is to upgrade without converting (you can google for rehabman's guide on how to do it). Also, make a full TM backup before upgrading, because HS has introduced many graphical issues and instabilities.

As of now, I'm using a Thinkpad P50, and even with that powerful iGPU (with Xeon CPU), HS managed to mess up and I went back to Sierra. Same goes with the VAIO. If you're ok with installing the HS then restoring it if anything happened, let us about the result.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cameleer said:

I'm now on a Lenovo Yoga 700, wife is using the tab so i installed Windows 10 again for her. But i must say that it started to act weird after a couple of days when installed High Sierra and had to restore my backup of Sierra. I don't know if it was apfs related or not, but i would listen to @midi-sama advice. Backup your system with Clonezilla, try it and then tell us :)

Anyway, i'm having troubles with HS even on the Yoga. I'm running Sierra flawlessly, power management, trackpad gestures, etc, working great. But i cannot fresh install or even update to 10.13.3, installer/updater always reboots when it starts copying files, apfs or hfs+.

TL;DR update and try, keep a backup at hand.

Edited by erfoz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, angrynewb said:

im having a problem with making right config.plist, clover not booting...maybe someone can upload working config.plist or efi folder for xe700t1c-ao1us?

Same thing. Following the guide step by step but clover doesn't boot.

I've also noticed that midi mentions TRIM SSD when making a config.plist. However there is no TRIM SSD part in the original config.plist... am I missing something?

Sorry guys for not updating the guide, I guess by now a lot of things changed (and it did change) and my tablet died. I just got a new HP Elite X2 G2 that I'm trying to hackintosh. If I ever find a free time I'll probably update the 2nd post as it will have some minor updates that will all be theoretical, so no real experimenting will be done. Sorry again. 

36 minutes ago, midi-sama said:

Sorry guys for not updating the guide, I guess by now a lot of things changed (and it did change) and my tablet died. I just got a new HP Elite X2 G2 that I'm trying to hackintosh. If I ever find a free time I'll probably update the 2nd post as it will have some minor updates that will all be theoretical, so no real experimenting will be done. Sorry again. 

Thanks for still checking this thread out, sorry for your tablet!

Would really appreciate your help because I've read that no-one complained on installing the macOS here so I feel like I'm the chosen one to fail lol

Right now if I follow the guide and boot the macOS installation for the very first time I receive this (used -v to see):

Error allocating 0x4c05 pages at 0x0000000000c7b000 alloc type 2

Error loading kernel cache (0x9)

Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds before exiting...

It's the latest Sierra, Clover and FakeSMC.kext. I'm wondering, maybe I should use some older versions from around 2015-2016?

I've also tried the El Capitan from the How-To that you've been inspired with but got this error (in the attachment). Ito make it short it says: "Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI".

Maybe you could give a direction I should look into? Feeling pissed because none of the guides work for me. 

IMG_8118.JPG

On 8/3/2018 at 9:09 AM, xealstorm said:

So I've managed to get a workable (hopefully stable) install of High Sierra. It was an exciting research! I'll return tonight to write down the steps that I've made.

I'm running Mojave on a Yoga 700, I don't have the EFI for the Tab anymore at hand. But I guess you don't need it anymore :)  Congrats on your successful hack!

• 9 months later...
On 11/25/2016 at 2:32 AM, MrHomebrew said:

It seems as if the internal display is not detected by Os X. In os x setting I do not see the internal display itself as an option. Constantly forcing the Hdmi port to be the display for os x/external display.

Like I said the tablet display does stay black and acts as a trackpad for the Hdmi external display.

Overall I know there is a solution

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

can you tell me the solution on how to fully enable the internal display/make sure it is recognized by os x itself.

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2017 at 12:15 AM, Psicopompo said:

What is your method?

On 2/27/2017 at 12:44 AM, midi-sama said:

I use the driver with the gestures app, and yes i get full gestures, but I reinstall each 24 hours. What's the issue here? If your method is better, you are welcomed to help, we need a better method for that!

On 10/26/2016 at 8:14 PM, midi-sama said:

So for people who need 10.12 I made this guide after collection various information, also a new method to run UPDD Gestures: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317221-guide-1012-sierra-on-tab/(thanks @duduclx to give me the permission)

Hi everyone, 5 years already since then. UPDD V5 now deprecated under Big Sur and useless for I2C hardware (although it still works yesterday for my Yoga 500-15IBD running Catalina).

To not affect any commercial benefit of TouchBase, for this newly deprecated driver.

I am release my method to bypass license checking of the UPDD Driver, then combine with bypass trial period of the Gesture app. In accordance with my remembrance. This way, you will have USB touchscreen work 5 fingers, forever with macOS up to Catalina.

1. You need to active license base UPDD Driver.

The license key format is 00000000. The key is inside the /Library/Preferences/tbupdd.ini file.

But when you edit the file, remember to change the HASH at the end of the file accordingly. You will need a hash tool to do this.

2. Make the .ini file read only. Change the date of the file 20 years to the future.

3. Change system time to 20 years to the future. The install the gesture app.

DONE.

This is my LICENSED tbupdd.ini I have been using since 2016 up to yesterday.

Depend on your controller id, your tbupdd.ini file may differ but you can take mine as a sample.

tbupdd.ini

Edited by virgosun
typo