[GUIDE] [10.12] Sierra on Tab!

midi-sama

87 posts in this topic

Ok here is a testing config, please try it and give me a feedback.

attachicon.gifconfig.plist.zip

WARNING GUYS: NO ONE USES THIS FILE, it's unique to leonidas87

No luck so far still black screen on the tablet display itself.

Os x itself seems more stable with this config file.

Would say we are not headed in the wrong direction. I'm still researching on this issue also.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Currently Tri-booting on the tablet internal hard drive.

Only two big issues still remain to be the display and Wifi.

Display fix is needed and mandatory for the internal tablet display.

@midi thanks for your help this far

Currently Tri-booting on the tablet internal hard drive.

Only two big issues still remain to be the display and Wifi.

Display fix is needed and mandatory for the internal tablet display.

@midi thanks for your help this far

No problem, just tell me, what connector your tablet is using? (google that to get it using linux) That way, we may know what to do.

• Like 1

No the internal screen connector, as in 700t1c got eDP and usually laptops have LVDS, you need to know yours as it's not a 700t1c but 700t1a tablet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok will do my research and see what I can find. I still have the vback cover open so maybe I'll take another look inside the tablet. I took it apart the other day lol ssd was WAY to small

My tablet model specific is the XE700T1A-A06US.

New video coming soon showing Tri boot process. Once we get display sorted out I will do a tutorial to help others.

Thanks again @midi I'm looking for the connector info really soon.

Found this so far

Touchscreen: Atmel maXTouch Digitizer (10 points)

No the internal screen connector, as in 700t1c got eDP and usually laptops have LVDS, you need to know yours as it's not a 700t1c but 700t1a tablet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Check out these two pages when you get a chance might help. Has some detailed info on some helpful info we may need.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samsung_Series_7_Slate_XE700T1A

And this page.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samsung_Series_7_Slate_XE700T1A

Lastly this.

Kernel command-line options

Sometimes, ACPI does not work well due to different motherboard implementations and ACPI quirks. This includes some laptops with dual graphics (e.g. Nvidia/Radeon dedicated GPU with Intel/AMD integrated GPU). On Nvidia Optimus laptops, the kernel parameter nomodeset can interfere with the ability to adjust the backlight. Additionally, ACPI sometimes needs to register its own acpi_video0backlight even if one already exists (such as intel_backlight), which can be done by adding one of the following kernel parameters in your bootloader:

acpi_backlight=video acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_backlight=native

If you find that changing the acpi_video0 backlight does not actually change the brightness, you may need to use acpi_backlight=none.

Tip:On an Asus notebooks you might also need to modprobe asus-nb-wmi as root.Disabling legacy boot on Dell XPS13 breaks backlight support.

The second link should be most helpful in my last comment. Lots of information about kernel, acpi, etc.

ok to make it quick, download Ubuntu or Linux Mint (you may try any OS with graphics right of the install media), put their internal files in a fat32 usb, boot it up in UEFI mode (disable CSM) and go to terminal and type xrandr -q and paste the output here

• Like 1

ok to make it quick, download Ubuntu or Linux Mint (you may try any OS with graphics right of the install media), put their internal files in a fat32 usb, boot it up in UEFI mode (disable CSM) and go to terminal and type xrandr -q and paste the output here

Sounds good had and unexpected turn of events so I could not get to that today. Will get on it as soon as I can tomorrow do not want to keep you waiting too long.

I will also be purchasing another windows tablet to dual boot windows 10 and Os x, just need to figure out which tablet has best dual boot compatibility with os x and the internal hardware of said device.

After achieving this I feel like expanding to more then one device. @midi appreciate your help once again my knowledge with os x will only get better. In time I will return the favour. Who knows @midi I may even have a VR Headset or free steam game key for you if we get this screen issue sorted out ?

Hey Guys,

Thank you Midi for this great guide. I cant seem to boot from clover using my edited config.plist I made. I double checked several times but I must be missing something. I can boot from clover using a different config. Using my edited config from the guide I cant get full boot up, boots about 3/4 up then just reboots over and over. Any ideas? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

first of all - big thanx to Midi for this clear and comprehensive guide, and also thanx to all others involved and taking part in this awesome project.

following this guide (with some small modifications), I succeed to get working Yosemite on my Samsung Ativ XE700T1C-03SA - my version came with i3 proc (1.8 GHz), 64 GB mSATA, no 3G - all other specs are the same as yours, I believe. I exchanged combo wi-fi/BT card with combo compatible card Atheros AR5B195. Now, almost all things are working (sound, mic, brightness, wi-fi, battery), but next things are still not in function:

- installed Wacom driver, but in Sys Preferences is a message that not found Wacom compatible device.Tried with 2 different version of Wacom driver (Bamboo tablet of course), no success. I can remember before few months I succeed in that way with another guide (from www.reddit.com), I mean I could use s-pen and make a drawings in a SketchBook application. maybe some kexts are problem or so?

- Bluetooth - anybody had success with it? or maybe I am wrong in some step in procedure? or something additional has to be done? any link? also, few months before I had so-so success with BT following same guide as I mentioned above. seems that this card has a problematic BT chip, or issue is with not adequate kexts.

- sleep is not working as I expected, but I can not claim definitely, still testing.

Another thing to mention - started GeekBench 4, and got next results (to remind - i3 proc-3217U):

- single core - 1819

- multi core - 3114

are these results o.k. or it can be better?

any opinion/feedbac/advice?

Thanx.

Hi guys,

first of all - big thanx to Midi for this clear and comprehensive guide, and also thanx to all others involved and taking part in this awesome project.

following this guide (with some small modifications), I succeed to get working Yosemite on my Samsung Ativ XE700T1C-03SA - my version came with i3 proc (1.8 GHz), 64 GB mSATA, no 3G - all other specs are the same as yours, I believe. I exchanged combo wi-fi/BT card with combo compatible card Atheros AR5B195. Now, almost all things are working (sound, mic, brightness, wi-fi, battery), but next things are still not in function:

- installed Wacom driver, but in Sys Preferences is a message that not found Wacom compatible device.Tried with 2 different version of Wacom driver (Bamboo tablet of course), no success. I can remember before few months I succeed in that way with another guide (from www.reddit.com), I mean I could use s-pen and make a drawings in a SketchBook application. maybe some kexts are problem or so?

- Bluetooth - anybody had success with it? or maybe I am wrong in some step in procedure? or something additional has to be done? any link? also, few months before I had so-so success with BT following same guide as I mentioned above. seems that this card has a problematic BT chip, or issue is with not adequate kexts.

- sleep is not working as I expected, but I can not claim definitely, still testing.

Another thing to mention - started GeekBench 4, and got next results (to remind - i3 proc-3217U):

- single core - 1819

- multi core - 3114

are these results o.k. or it can be better?

any opinion/feedbac/advice?

Thanx.

Thanks dude, everyone appreciate it!

First of all : YOU HAVE ONE WEIRD TABLET! I mean seriously, you're the first i3 on Tab i've ever read about! (who cares if it works)

- Wacom: Check first on windows if it is indeed Wacom, if yes, Install the Surface Pro's UPDD, then install Wacom's drivers. The Samsung Slate 7 Drivers take ownership of the Wacom device and thus this "No compatible Wacom device". Tip: Uninstall the current UPDD, check the Applications > Utilities folder

- BT: since your have the same BT as mine so it's easy, also I ignored the BT part as I dont use it and mostly people here use the BCM card which I dont know how it works but meh! I'll add it on the ADDINS post. Go to https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-atheros-3k-firmware/downloads and downlaod the latest kext, copy it to L/E (Library > Extensions), open terminal and type this:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions

Reboot. Now it should work and appear in SysPref

- Sleep : Fix your DSDT, and since you have a different CPU, you may probably have different patches and fixes, however they are all common. Also, an SSDT would totally help.

For those score, I dont know, I've never ran a test, if you really wanna know, compare it with a MBA5,2 as it has the same i5 CPU as in our (not yours) Tabs, also I dont really care about how it performs, as I use macOS for fun and web browsing and a stable OS for some light work, and I still have windows on the side for workload and many other features.

I forget to ask for one thing -  system startup takes 17-20 sec, but restart or shutdown is too long. o.k. SSD inside is SanDisk U100, it is not speed champion…

what is situation with your Samsung?

it's fast, like 10 secs boot up and 10 secs shutdown (if I close all the apps beforehand ofc).

Yours is most probably a DSDT/SSDT and (in some extreme cases) kext patches (that clover will take care of). Make sure you have AppleRTC enabled under KernelAndKextPatches.

Thanx midi for your prompt answers and advices. I was playing and trying some things, with next results:

- reading some other posts, I supposed problem with Wacom was in GenericUSBXHCI.kext or something related to USB. problem was maybe in version of this kext (proven version is 1.2.8d9), or in config.plist settings - see Clover Configurator -> Boot -> check 'gux_defer_usb2' - or both of them. Anyhow, after installing above mentioned version of Generic… and set 'gux_defer…', everything became o.k. pen is working OOB, only need Wacom pentablet driver for calibrating. maybe this can be useful for someone with same issue.

- BT - still nothing. tried your instructions, and also tried to install this kext in S/L/E (with KextWizzard), and also tried to put it in EFI partition in kext/others folders - no luck. System does not load it, and there is no Bluetooth in System Prefs. In System Information, I can see under USB device tree 'Bluetooth HCI' and Product ID: 0x3002, Vendor ID: 0x04ca - Lite-On Technology Corp. Any idea?

and, just to say - it's not weird tablet, with your help and some work it is becoming pretty nice functional and useful tablet/laptop whatsoever. one clarification - under name of this model XE700T1C, there are versions also with Atom processor. mine is XE700T1C-A03SA, and this version is with i3 proc and no 3G and 64 GB mSATA - for middle east market (saudi arabia, emirates…), where I already bought it.

Today I bought the Jot Pro for my Yoga 500, which is capacitive only

What is the recommended apps for sketching and note-taking non Wacom?

I'm not an art user of the tablet, nor using it for not taking, but I can recommand Krita for sketches and professional drawing, as there are also MANY other programs. Also, this is a ATIV thread, you get what you did there, right? :)

Thanx midi for your prompt answers and advices. I was playing and trying some things, with next results:

- reading some other posts, I supposed problem with Wacom was in GenericUSBXHCI.kext or something related to USB. problem was maybe in version of this kext (proven version is 1.2.8d9), or in config.plist settings - see Clover Configurator -> Boot -> check 'gux_defer_usb2' - or both of them. Anyhow, after installing above mentioned version of Generic… and set 'gux_defer…', everything became o.k. pen is working OOB, only need Wacom pentablet driver for calibrating. maybe this can be useful for someone with same issue.

- BT - still nothing. tried your instructions, and also tried to install this kext in S/L/E (with KextWizzard), and also tried to put it in EFI partition in kext/others folders - no luck. System does not load it, and there is no Bluetooth in System Prefs. In System Information, I can see under USB device tree 'Bluetooth HCI' and Product ID: 0x3002, Vendor ID: 0x04ca - Lite-On Technology Corp. Any idea?

and, just to say - it's not weird tablet, with your help and some work it is becoming pretty nice functional and useful tablet/laptop whatsoever. one clarification - under name of this model XE700T1C, there are versions also with Atom processor. mine is XE700T1C-A03SA, and this version is with i3 proc and no 3G and 64 GB mSATA - for middle east market (saudi arabia, emirates…), where I already bought it.

Got it, as I don't have the device, it will all be on you! Also, I'm sorry, I dont have my other hack that have the BT part (as on my tablet I got the AR5B95, which is the same as AR5B195 but with no BT). Sorry

• Like 1

I'm not an art user of the tablet, nor using it for not taking, but I can recommand Krita for sketches and professional drawing, as there are also MANY other programs. Also, this is a ATIV thread, you get what you did there, right? :)

Thank you. That is what I want. My device is just passive capacitive, so not all strokes and shapes are recognized  by this stylus. Its precision is about 85%. If you use it for entertainment then it is just ok. Good for sketching and calligraphy. I really want to get the sharing from people using touchscreen on macOS as you know they are very rare. I try google, and ask the stylus seller but they all said, they havent seem any Mac machine with touch. 

Thank you. That is what I want. My device is just passive capacitive, so not all strokes and shapes are recognized  by this stylus. Its precision is about 85%. If you use it for entertainment then it is just ok. Good for sketching and calligraphy. I really want to get the sharing from people using touchscreen on macOS as you know they are very rare. I try google, and ask the stylus seller but they all said, they havent seem any Mac machine with touch. 

Yes, but for what you want (sketching and calligraphy) I recommend an active pen digitizer like Wacom, Huion... (either integrated or external) for that kind of activity. The touch screen is used only for User<->OS interaction most of the time, not for content creation.

• Like 1

:)  I install SketchBook Pro on both Windows and macOS. macOS with its touch gesture is bit productive than in Windows. I still get used to digital sketch. I found it not quite easy as it look like. I watch some video on youtube and found people really struggle do shading, even when using pressure sensitive pen. I found this passive pen quite helpful for a beginners. If I am more kin on digital sketching and I am still interested in this, I might try an external digital drawing pad as your recommendation. Sometimes I do web and software development, so an active digitizer would be very helpful but it is also splur. I don't really need scripting too.  Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Everything works OK, except the UPDD part. When I install it I get a message stating that the trial period has expired (immediately after installation).

hi midi. congrats for the excelent guide. the sound for me is not working i have inkect 6 in clover an the aplealc in the other kext folder but not working at all. thanks

Same problem. Solution: Delete AtivHDA.kext, them install VoodooHDA.kext, repairs permissions. Reboot.