[GUIDE] [10.12] Sierra on Tab!

midi-sama

87 posts in this topic

Sierra on Tab!

[DISCONTINUED]

MY TAB'S MOTHERBOARD FRIED!

7ssene.png?dl=1

First of all, I would like to thanks everyone on the Tablets > Samsung section for making OS X on XE700T1C possible, first from Yosemite up to El Capitan. This thread, however, is for Sierra installation, thanks to this thread (and the users there for the help), we gathered some information about our device capabilities and limitation on Sierra:

• What works:
    • Everything but:
  • What's not working/issues:
    • PS/2 buttons (volume/rotation/Home buttons) - driver problem, needs kext edits
    • For some: WiFi disconnections
    • Wacom Driver (as for now, drivers for Sierra not released yet) They have been released.
    • Intel Wifi/BT (no need to ask why, check the old threads for this device)
    • Battery level may (most of the time) be wrong, please check HWMonitor for the real values, somehow macOS reads it wrong, and at some point it may even show "Replace Soon" (LOL).
    • Battery may be stuck at "Charging" icon if woken up from sleep while being charged and then unplugged, to fix that, replug and unplug the charger.

Before starting, neither me nor insanelymac.com is held responsible if anything goes wrong to your computer, or your cat died because you didn't feed it or a nuclear war. We are here to show you how to do stuff, you do it and take full responsibility of it.

Part 1:

Prepare your Computer:

• Before doing anything stupid, BACKUP YOUR FREAKING DATA! Don't come crying at me because you've lost your work files, notes or the secret recipe of Krusty Krab, I'll point my finger at you and laugh to my heart's content (yes, but I warned you, and as they say in arabic: 9ad a3thara man anthar قد أعذر من أنذر) YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
  • For that, you can use Samsung's tool (if you still have it), Microsoft Windows' tool (under windows 8/10 > File History, or under windows 10 using one of these) or using 3rd party tools like CCC or CloneZilla (open-source and totally free, recommended, backup partitions instead of disk, will help to restore single partitions instead of erasing the whole ssd), and if you're under OS X already, use Time Machine to backup, Linux users know what to do (CloneZilla, Aptik...).
  • UPDATE your UEFI Firmware to the latest version, using Samsung Update, don't do anything stupid, let the updater do its thing and fulfill its requirements (full battery, no running program ..). May break your device if you do anything stupid here, don't be stupid then (I just solved world stupidity, praise me!).
  • Prepare your tools:
    • a OS X/macOS computer/VM (deal with it)
    • one 8GB USB (or two, second may be small for clover only, recommended, external HDDs will work too)
    • your ATIV (duh!)
    • your brain, you can buy one if needed (mostly black markets, watch out: illegal)
    • optionally, external USB mouse, as the internal one doesnt have scroll feature, blame ELAN for making the USB drivers not close to PS/2 ones
  • Other than that, prepare yourself mentally, this will be tremendously long you'll pop your eyes out, so do this on a lit room and better in the morning when you're wide-awake, thank me later for that. Make some snakes while you're at it, you'll need them.

Part 2:

Prepare your install - Install!

• On your OS X/macOS computer
    • Download (or build) Clover from here (or build from here)
    • Download FakeSMC.kext (choose Binaries) toledaARPT.kext (only for AR9280/5 or compatible, optional) for BCM users, refer please to the older thread, must be the same for you, thought I've read that Sierra has some problems with some BCM cards, good luck then :3 Internet is NEEDED later, and AppleALC.kext and lastly HFSPlus.efi
    • Download PlistEditor (google)
    • Download macOS Sierra from the AppStore (by now the final release should be already published)
    • Open Disk Utility and plug your USB stick.
      • Select Erase > Name it whatever you want > Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) > Scheme : GUID Partition Table (GPT) > ERASE!!!
      • You better have already saved what was there lol
      • Select then Partition > hit + > Make a Clover partition of 500MB MS-DOS (FAT) partition and the rest Installer partition with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
      • Apply
        • Note 1: for smartasses saying "Why GPT, why not MBR?", A: for some reason El Capitan/Sierra Disk Utility wouldn't let me partition it later on, I don't know what's going on, but only GPT partitioning was permitted, somebody please confirm/fix this. Thanks.
        • Note 2: for smartasses saying "Why did you make a Clover partition instead of using the existing EFI partition from the GPT formatting", A: having a partition to automount is better than mounting a hidden one each time! 
      • Thou art done with Disk Utility, Thou shalt close it!
    • Install Clover on the CLOVER (well fat partitions are renamed with capital letters) partition
    • LEAVE only these folders/files from CLOVER folder:
      • ACPI
      • drivers64UEFI
      • kexts >
        • Other
      • misc
      • ROM
      • themes
      • tools
      • CLOVERX64.EFI
    • Copy the kexts from 2. in Other folder under kexts.
    • Copy HFSPlus.efi under driver64uefi and remove VBoxHFS.efi
    • Download this config.plist (credits @rehabman, also, right click on the link > Save Link As ... > and make sure it ends with .plist NOT .txt, if it doesn't, change the Format under it to All Files, and remove .txt)
    • Open it with PlistEditor (haha, aint spoilin')

• ACPI >
        • Rename DropTables to ##DropTables
        • Rename #DropTables to DropTables
        • DSDT >
          • Fixes > Add child:
            • AddPNLF_1000000
            • Boolean
            • YES
          • Patches > Add child under EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02
            • Disabled
            • Boolean
            • YES
      • Add child named "CPU" under "Root"
        • Add child under "CPU"
          • TurboDisable
          • Boolean
          • YES
            • This will disable TurboBoost on battery (dont add this, this is just an explanation)
      • Devices >
        • Audio >
          • Inject : 6
      • Graphics >
        • EITHER:
          • Remove ig-platform-id
            OR
          • Change 0x01660004 to 0x01660009
      • KernelAndKextPatches >
        • KextsToPatch >
          • Under "Enable TRIM for SSD"
            • Change Disabled boolean to NO
          • add child as "Dictionary", dont name it
            • add child "Comment"
              • Class: String
              • Value: Boot graphics glitch, 10.12.dp1 (credit denskop)
            • add child "Find":
              • Class: Data
              • Value: 0100007525
            • add child "Replace":
              • Value: 010000EB25
            • add child "Name":
              • Value: IOGraphicsFamily
          • add child as "Dictionary", dont name it
            • add child "Comment":
              • Value: Capri-Port _0x5-DP2HDMI
            • add child "Find":
              • Value: 02050000 00040000 07010000
            • add child "Replace":
              • Value: 02050000 00080000 06000000
            • add child "Name":
              • Value: AppleIntelFramebufferCapri
          • Note about Capri-Port patch: Please check if HDMI Audio is working. Feedback is welcomed.
      • SMBIOS >
        • Change MacBookPro9,2 to MacBookAir5,2
    • Save and rename it to config.plist then replace CLOVER > EFI > CLOVER > config.plist with this new one.
    • Open Terminal (I use iTerm, better):
      • run this 
        sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --volume /Volumes/Installer
      • Sip some tea, or watch whatever you like (huhuhuuhhuuh), it will take a while (unless you're one of those plebs with ULTRA FAST WHATEVER WHATEVER usb keys)
    • Once done, close terminal, you're ready to rock!
  • On your ATIV! (the exciting part)
    • Boot to your Firmware Setup (aka BIOS Setup, but the name before is the correct one), by using ONE of these methods:
      • Power off > Press and hold Windows button under the screen > Power On > Once you see the SAMSUNG logo, release the Windows Button > TADAA!
      • Power off > Press and hold Volume Down button > Power On > Choose "Enter Setup" > TADAA!
      • Power off > Press repeatedly F2 > Power On [keep pressing] > TADAA!
      • Power off > Press repeatedly F10 > Power On [keep pressing] > Choose "Enter Setup" > TADAA!
      • If you're on windows already:
        • Method 1
          • Plug a keyboard (dock or usb keyboard)
          • Click on the power off icon (in the charm bar in win 8.x, in Start in win 10)
          • Hover on Reboot
          • Hold Shift while clicking on reboot
          • You should see "Please Wait"
        • Method 2
          • Open Settings
          • Go to Updates and Recovery (win 8.x) or Update and Security (win 10)
          • Go to Recovery
          • Select Advanced Startup
          • It should start the Advanced menu while showing "Please Wait"
        • Once done, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings
        • TADAA!
      • If you have GRUB2 UEFI> Select System Setup > TADAA!
    • Once in, do these changes:
      • Advanced >
        • Fast BIOS Mode
          • OFF
        • USB S3 Wake-up
          • OFF (you can make it ON, but will drain battery as the dock will stay ON and may also be annoying and has an effect on sleep)
        • AHCI Mode Control
          • Auto
      • Boot >
        • BIOS Adaptive Brightness
          • ON/OFF depending on choice (ON to help your eyes at night)
        • Secure Boot
          • OFF
            • OS Mode Selection
              • UEFI OS
      • Plug your USB key, hit Save, and furiously keep pressing F10
    • Now you'll see your USB drive in the BOOT menu, select it, and Clover will start up
    • Start up macOS Installer (eat a sandwich meanwhile, unless you have those SUPER ULTRA FAST WHATEVER usb keys!)
    • Open Disk Utility
      • At this point you can still back up and start saving up your files! LAST WARNING!
    • Erase your WHOLE SSD (remember that I told you to save your stuff? Now you know why!)
      • To this point, YOU. ARE. DONE.
    • Close and Install macOS
      • Note 1: You'll see it stuck at "One second left" for more than one second (lol), wait until it reboots.
      • Note 2: If your tablet rebooted after the 1st phase but didnt start the USB key automatically, open the BOOT menu and run clover and start up the Installer, it will resume the Install as it should
      • Note 3: I forgot to mention this, but you should have common sense without me telling that to you, PLUG YER CHARGER!
    • Once done, we'll get to the next step.

Part 3:
Configure and Fix up your install

Congratulations, you've successfully installed macOS Sierra on your Tab, you can clap now! For now, it's all about your IQ level (hope you have 3 digits, and you should if you made it up to here). Now, finish up your install and first boot, and make sure you're connected to the internet (Internal Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB Dongles... I dont care, deal with it, or you may just do Copy-Pasta from another computer, but that wont help for DSDT, for people experienced in OSx86, you know what you can do if you dont have internet).

• Once on your desktop, test the audio:
    • Go to System Preferences
    • Go to Sound
    • Check if you see an Output device, if yes then proceed, if not, reboot again, if still not:
      • Check your config.plist > Devices > Audio > Inject : 6
    • Check the kext AppleALC is under kexts > Other and no other folder under kexts but Other.
    • Power off and boot the device up (cold boot)
    • Select "Play feedback when volume is changed
    • Change the volume using the keyboard keys, the buttons on the side wont work (lack of PS/2 drivers)

• Check TRIM:
    • Hold Alt and click on the Apple menu > System Information
    • Select SATA/SATA Express
    • Select your drive
    • Check TRIM Support : Yes in the description
    • IF NOT:
      • Open terminal
      • Type 
        sudo trimforce enable
      • Accept and confirm
      • Wait until the computer reboots (it will take a while, no worries)

• SIP and add "Anywhere" to open any app
    • Disabling SIP
      • Reboot to recovery
      • Open terminal
      • Type in: 
        csrutil disable
      • Reboot
    • Enable "Anywhere" under Security and Privacy to allow foreign/unsigned apps
      • Open terminal
      • Type in: 
        sudo spctl  --master-disable
      • Done
  • Clover
    • Open terminal and type: diskutil mount disk0s1
    • Copy the EFI folder in the USB to the EFI partition, so you'll get a EFI folder inside EFI partiton
      •  

1czx2b.jpg?dl=1

• Make a folder named BOOT under folder EFI (so EFI > EFI > BOOT), copy CLOVERX64.EFI from CLOVER folder to it, rename it then (in BOOT folder) to BOOTX64.EFI
      •  You'll be able to boot Clover from your SSD
  • UPDD Rewind
    • If you want to buy the UPDD software with the gestures and other stuff, head to http://touch-base.com/and order your software for $171.00 or 133.00 Euros (if you're a superrich pleb!). This software will then be updated and supervised by Touch-Base.
    • If you're broke and want a free (but annoying alternative) follow this:
      • If you want UPDD to control Wacom digitizer and you dont mind recalibrating it each time, download ONE of these:
        • Digitizer ignores pen proximity (no hover) LINK
        • Digitizer reacts to pen proximity (hover) LINK
          • Q: Why do I have to recalibrate the pen after each reinstall?
          • A: Because this driver was made initially for Samsung Slate 7 (the father of our Tab 7) and it had only HD screen (not like our FHD one) and so, when you move the pen over the screen it only reacts to the "HD" resolution portion of the screen. This is what I think, correct me if I'm wrong.
    • if you only want touch with UPDD and want to wait until Wacom releases its driver LINK (this is the driver used by Surface 1 and possibly 2 too) - RECOMMENDED!
    • Now either way, you have to use some of these tools (made by Automator, not some fancy coding or anything):
      • Download this file containing the tools: RE:UPDD (huhuhuhuh) (thanks to @thanh for UPDDrewind)
      • Extract them and throw them in Applications folder
    • Mount the UPDD dmg, throw the installer under /Library/
    • Run re-updd and let it do its thing (confirm and type your password when asked)
    • Notes:
      • Please go to Part 4 > 7, below before running UPDDrewind
      • After each reboot (under less than 24 hours from the time of the install) run UPDDrewind, you can add it to autorun at boot by adding it to the list in System Preferences > Users and groups > Your Username > Login items
      • After each 24 hours of usage, run re-updd, it will reinstall and ask to run the driver program
    • Reboot (now it should boot from your SSD)
  • DSDT TIME
    • On Clover menu, hit F4, then boot normally
    • Once on the desktop, open MaciASL
    • Copy patched folder from CLOVER > EFI > CLOVER > ACPI > patched to your Desktop
    • Copy DSDT.aml and SSDT-0.aml (check that SSDT-0 is SataTabl, how? open it with MaciASL and look for OEM Table ID, id it's not, look into all your SSDTs and get the correct one) to a new directory on your desktop name it patched
    • Open DSDT.aml
    • Go to MaciASL > Preferences >
      • Source > +
        • Name: RehabMan repo
        • URL: 
          http://raw.github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/master
        • Note: You may remove the others, you're free to choose.
      • iASL > ACPI Specifications : 5.1
    • Close the Preferences and go to the Patch menu, apply these:
      • [bat] Samsung Ativ Book 7
      • [igpu] Rename GFX0 to IGPU
      • [syn] Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error
      • [syn] Fix *pnp/pnp lower case Error
      • [usb] 7-series/8-series USB
      • [usb] USB3 _PWR 0x0D (instant wake)
      • For AR9285 only: [wifi] AR9285 WiFi RP02-PXSX : change RP02 in the 5th line to RP01
      • Download this patch file, click on Open in MaciASL's patch window, select Patch.txt and apply it.
    • Save your DSDT
    • Open terminal and copy this (everything): 
      curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/Beta/ssdtPRGen.sh && \
      chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh && \
      sh ~/ssdtPRGen.sh && \
      diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1 && \
      cp ~/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ && \
      cp ~/Desktop/patched/* /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ && \
      echo "All done."
    • Hit enter and reboot
  • Download these kexts (extract them if needed) and put them in Clover > kext > Other (mount your EFI volume using diskutil mount disk0s1):
  • Reboot.

Part 4:
Extras and level up your macOStouch experience:

Congrats again! Now you have a fully functional macOS tablet ... not yet! Why? Cuz it sux! like really! Just try it! Well then, to make it "suck less", we need to fix a number of things (HiDPI -cuz 1080p is ultra smoll-, LaunchPad size and UPDD Gestures fixes/enhancements, also wacom and 3G). ALL THESE ARE OPTIONAL, so:

• HiDPI Fix
    1. Open terminal and type:
      • sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

2. Install and go to Unknown Monitor > Custom Resolutions > + > Scaled Resolution (on top):
      • Here you can add any "Scaled" resolution.
      • I recommend 1366x768 HiDPI resolution, so I add a scaled resolution of 2732x1536 as in a retina display resolution (1366*2 and 768*2)
      • If you want a HiDPI resolution, get the width and heigh, multiply each by two, add it to SwitchResX.
    3. Click on Display (on top bar) and hit Write System settings, then File > Save Settings.
    4.  Reboot
  • LaunchPad 6x3 icons setting:
    1. Open terminal and type: 
      defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-rows -int 3; defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-columns -int 6; defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool TRUE;killall Dock
    2. Result:
      •  

988gEGK.jpg

• For UPDD Guestures:
    • Get my configuration here: UPDD Settings
    • You can still use yours, and open UPDD Gestures > Settings
    • Note: Do not put it on full screen, you'll need to force quit it to use it again (then run UPDDrewind)
  • Wacom:
    • Go to Wacom Drivers webpage
    • Select Bamboo under "All" and download its driver
    • Install
    • Reboot
  • For 3G I didn't test/try, you can always check the Yosemite/El Capitan thread in #1 or #20 for instructions and STARTING from #258 onward to get the new drivers and stuff.
    • WIP
  • Annoying Firewire Update
    • Open terminal and type: 
    • softwareupdate --ignore ThunderboltFirmwareUpdate1.2
  • Configure re-UPDD and UPDDrewind
    • re-UPDD: to run it without typing your password (may reveal your password explicitly to anyone knowing how to use Automator)
      • Open Automator > Open > re-updd.app (or drag-n-drop re-updd on Automator)
      • Go to "Run Applescript" part
      • add 

password *PUT_YER_PASSWORD_HERE* 
        after 
        administrator privileges
      • Hit the Hammer button above the box to check the syntax
      • Save
    • UPDDrewind:
      • Open it with Script Editor
      • Change INSERT_PASSWORD_HERE by your mac password (leave the quotes)
      • Go to File > Export >
        •  
        • File Format: Application
        • Check Run-only
      • Save
      • Now your password wont be explicitly shown for this application, because we made it to run only, no edition/viewing is permitted afterwards.
      • Delete the source UPDDrewind (if you save it somewhere else)
  • KeyUP: download and throw in Applications
  • Brightness:
    • Download: http://bergdesign.com/brightness/#download
    • Throw it in Applications
    • If you're using black theme in macOS, right click on the app > Show Contents > Contents > Resources
    • Rename:
      • display_icon.png > display_icon_black.png
      • display_icon_white.png > display_icon.png
    • Close and reopen the app.
  • CodecCommander: Check the posts under this one
  • You're done!! You can celebrate your intelligence now!

What's still needs to work on:

Though we did all that, there are still parts that wouldn't just work right:

• Make UPDDrewind run when it detects that UPDD Gestures is ran
  • An app to combine both re-updd and UPDDrewind, as they are just scripts and still needs refining (or just one AppleScript for password reasons)
  • 3G/SIM card driver (I just didnt test, still, I'm putting it here)
  • Fix the battery percentage, as I found that HWMonitor gives a precise percentage, like I have 98% in HWmonitor while the OS reports 100%, 96% in HWmonitor while OS reports 98% (they align at 50% and they diverge again)
  • 100click/24hours for UPDD Driver (meh! but it's annoying to reinstall each time)
  • VoodooPS2 driver configuration
  • Microphone may stop working in the middle of work. Workaround: use your headphone with microphone or do a sleep-wake cycle.

These are not in any given order, and they all matter to the smooth work on our devices. 

Credits:

I would like to give to everyone who has done some work to get this device work:
@Rehabman for drivers and DSDT patches
@Apple for the SW
@HWmonitor team for HWmonitor and FakeSMC and other drivers
@everyone in Tablets Forum for every piece of information and work, especially in these threads: Yos/ElC 10.12 report First thread for XE700T1C
@anyone I forgot to mention (PM me to add you here, you deserve it)

Thank you all :D

Guys, if anything is wrong, just report it, I'll fix it ASAP, thanks

Edited by midi-sama
  • Like 7

CodecCommander

Fix Audio after sleep

• For now it's all good, on beta version I had to do some changes. Just install it in /L/E and run Kext Utility to fix caches and permissions.

VoodooPS2Controller

Change button scans

WIP

UPDATES AND CHANGES:

If there is any update here, you IGNORE the one on the guide.

None for now

Goodies

Addins you can use to get a better macOS experience (not to stuff up the main guide)

TouchBar

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%2011.26.

This is an "emulated" (surely not, since it's in the OS itself) bar that can work exactly as the real TouchBar

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%2011.28.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%2012.11.

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%2011.28.

You need, however to change the triggering button to Ctrl/Alt/Windows to tootle it on and off

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-28%20at%2012.14.

You can use your iPad to that too!

Download/Build link

Github

Thanks to 10.12 on CC2 Guide

Have fun :D

• Like 2

Upgrade to 10.12

from 10.10 or 10.11

Upgrading means your files will be kept, good, but also bad, as it will still drag with it some problems (if any) or make others. But as we have a clean System (so no edits whatsoever) an upgrade is doable and with less problems hopefully.

• Before that, make a TM Backup! Dont blame me if anything went wrong! Check the first part of the main guide for tools.
  • Before upgrading, update all your kexts:
    • Remove all the 3rd party kexts from SLE or LE but CodecCommander (if you installed them to the system) and keep only these under Clover > kexts > other folder (no other folder should be under kexts folder in CLOVER but the folder "other", yeah, quite complicated but check Part 2 > 1 > 7 for the folder structure)
    • The only kexts you need in the kexts > Other folder are:
      • FakeSMC (and plugins if wanted, plugins are optional)
      • VoodooPS2Controller
      • ACPIBrightness
      • ACPIBatteryManager
      • AppleALC
    • Google each of them and update it.
    • Download macOS upgrade.
    • Install
    • Profit

Well that was freaking hard!

MultiBoot with macOS
EzPz

Well that's really easy! like super easy.

• First, you need to prepare your SSD for ${OS}:
    • Open terminal
    • Think about how much disk space you want to give to windows
    • Type:
      diskutil list
      • It should output the list of partitions, detect your macOS partition (usually has AppleHFS before it), and keep in mind its identifier (eg: disk0s2 or disk1s3 or whatever you got there, we'll name it diskXsY where X and Y are numbers)
  • Now we're going to shrink the volume by issuing this command:
    diskutil resizeVolume diskXsY size
    • Replace diskXsY with your partition's identifier
    • Replace size with either a size that the macOS partition will take ending it with G(igabytes) or M(egabytes) and so on, or a percentage of the the entire disk space (eg: 90G to resize it to 90GB, or 50% to resize it to the 50% point in the entire disk size)
    • Run diskutil resizeVolume for the extended help and explanations
  • With Windows:
    • I recommend you install windows 8.1 first then upgrade to 10. Why? If you need the GNSS driver, install it on windows 8.1 as the driver will only install on it, then upgrade to 10 to keep the GNSS working, ELSE, install windows 10 directly.
    • Anyway, prepare your pendrive:
      • whatever windows you're gonna install, you head to:
      • Download the Windows 8.1 or 10 (do not choose some weird KN/N/SL version, just the plain 8.1/10 version + your preferred language, dont worry, it will automatically choose the Pro version, if your tablet came with it, in the install screen)
      • Plug a 8GB usb drive that will be erased (SAVE DA FILZ)
      • Open Disk Utility, format it as FAT32
      • Mount the ISO, copy files from there to the USB
      • ALTERNATIVELY: Use Bootcamp for all the steps above (from the Plug ...), but for some reason it takes forever when copying.
      • Now that you're done, reboot, and install to the Free space in windows installer, install the updates and drivers (use Samsung Update for that) and Upgrade (if wanted/needed) to windows 10.
      • PS: midi, the Windows install was super easy, just like you said. Just a thing, in case you want to update the guide or something. After installing Windows i lose access to Clover. The quick fix is install EasyUEFI on Windows (free) and move up the Clover Uefi entry to the top. Power menu on the app, click Reboot, done!

Also, you can add Clover to the entry: Click on the + on the vertical bar in the middle > OS : Linux and Other > Select the EFI partition (~250Mo and on the first parts of the disk) > Browse > EFI > CLOVER > CLOVERX64.efi > Name it "Clover" > Save > Move it to the top > Done. (This can be done to any EFI entry, works for grub and such)

• With Linux
    • Download 64bit UEFI capable distribution (most, if not all, popular distros are UEFI capable), extract it to a FAT32 USB drive (alternatively, use Unetbootin)
    • Install it, partition the free space, I dont need to tell you, you know what you're doing if you're into Lx
      • Note: Some ISOs may contain EFI folder, but no EFI bootloader like on ubuntu/debian mini ISOs, you need to extract EFI.img from the iso and extract the EFI file, or download a grub2 uefi executable and make a bootable disk, install it as you like it.
      • Note2: Grub Entry will be added, use efibootmgr to add Clover (or use your USB Clover to fix that, you choose)
  • With Android-x86
    • Quite tricky! but Ez! Download first:
    • Download gparted (x86_64 zip, NOT i686), extract it on a FAT32 USB drive, do the same for your android iso in another FAT32 drive.
    • Boot up gparted, select the free space and format it as EXT4
    • Reboot and boot up now android usb, and select Install, once in the choice menu, select your EXT4 partition (WARNING! ANY WRONG MOVE WILL BE FATAL), choose as in these pictures:

VirtualBox_Ubuntu_28_10_2016_10_17_13.pn
      VirtualBox_Ubuntu_28_10_2016_10_17_29.pnVirtualBox_Ubuntu_28_10_2016_10_17_44.pn

• Once done, reboot to gparted
    • Once in, open terminal and type this:

• sudo -s
        mkdir /mnt/efi_part/
        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/efi_part # I assume the efi partition is sda1, please get the correct identifier if different
        cd /mnt/efi_part/EFI/BOOT/ #try with boot if the command issues "BOOT not found"
        mv BOOTx64.efi android_grub.efi
        cp ../CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi ./BOOTX64.efi
        reboot
    • Boot macOS
    • Once on macOS open config.plist and this:
      • GUI >
        • Create a child Dictionary named "Custom"
          • Create a child Array named "Entries"
            • Create a child Dictionary and dont name it
              • Add child "Hotkey"
                • String
                • A
              • Add child "Path"
                • String
                • \EFI\boot\android_grub.efi
              • Add child "Title"
                • String
                • Android
              • Add child "Type"
                • String
                • Linux
    • Save and reboot, test Android if it boots up correctly.
      • Note: if you're familiar with Grub more than Clover, you can add a boot entry to it.
    • Now power down and boot up Gparted again, we will fix brightness control:
      • Open terminal, type 
        sudo -s
        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/
        cd /mnt/boot/grub/
        nano grub.cfg

• Type after root=/dev/ram0 
        acpi_backlight=video
      • Now save by using CTRL + X then confirming the changes
      • Now type:
        cd /
        umount /mnt
        mount /dev/sda4 /mnt # I assumed android is in sda4, check gparted for the ext4 volume
        cd /mnt/and*/ # for andoid-x86
        OR
        cd /mnt/cm*/ # for cm13-x86
        cd system/
        nano build.prop
      • Then add these lines 
        #
        # Brightness Fix for Samsung XE700
        #
        backlight.brightness_file=/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
        backlight.max_brightness_file=/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness
        • Note: obviously you can skip the commented lines, but it's only for a clean build.prop if needed later
      • Save again, and unmount /mnt and reboot
      • Boot android and test brightness and other parts if they are working.
  • Enjoy!
Edited by midi ッ
  • Like 2

quote erfoz

Quick question, is your screen working ok without the UPDD drivers installed? ElCap was okay, but on Sierra i'm having this problem, whenever i touch the screen with the finger and release it, it doesn't release the click so when i touch after on another part of the screen its acts like you are dragging(i don't know if i have explained it well  :rolleyes: ) Wacom pen it's working ok btw.

Thanks dude :D
Yes, it keeps the click unreleased and when you touch something else it "drags" the click. The UPDD driver fixes it and the Gestures helps too!
Anyway, I'm making now 2 other mini guides for multibooting (OS X and Windows/Android/Linux) and an upgrade Guide frome 10.11/10.10.

quote kanton

Judging by the photo, is this the "SAMSUNG ATIV Tab 7 XE700T1C-K01US Intel Core i5 4 GB Memory 128GB SSD 11.6" Touchscreen Tablet Windows 8 64-Bit"?

It's out of stock now. Would it would on newer devices? Is it usable on a daily basis? Thanks.

--

1st of all: wow! To get the full model from a Photoshopped pic *claps*
Also it's available from ebay
Another thing is that ALL XE700T1C are the same, they differ in the availability of these optional points: 3G/4G-Win 8 Pro-Kyb dock for some. Other than that, they are all the same from the inside, same cpu, same gpu, same wacom/atmel digitizer, same everything.

And what do you mean by newer devices? Like ATIV Q (if you got your hands on one anyway)? Or Galaxy TabPro S (it may workz as it has intel M cpus like macbook)?

For daily use: I use it everyday, not a bad experience but also not as good as windows or android. If you're gonna use it with an external screen with a mouse and keyboard, then it's not any different than a desktop computer with less power, if you're gonna use it as a tablet, its quite ok, but you have to get used to UPDD's gestures. I would say yes *imo* as of now.

UPDATE FOLKS: 10.12.1 fixes the volume buttons issue! 10/10, will try to edit the voodoops2.
Also, I'll be posting some information about CodeCommander as it needs extra editing. (Sorry, I'm a bit busy lately)

Thanks midi. I've found some 2nd hand. I used google image search ;)  Then I noticed the other threads and felt like a fool :)

Well, the truth is I am a coder and sometimes I need to finish some projects on xcode while on vacations.

I was looking for Surface 4 but seems it's not osx86 friendly...yet. We only know a device is fully compatible years after first release :(

Thanks midi. I've found some 2nd hand. I used google image search ;) Then I noticed the other threads and felt like a fool :)

Well, the truth is I am a coder and sometimes I need to finish some projects on xcode while on vacations.

I was looking for Surface 4 but seems it's not osx86 friendly...yet. We only know a device is fully compatible years after first release :(

Well you just hit the jackpot! It's totally the device you may be looking for! Also be sure you hook up with you a mouse! The touch scrolling is annoying and tyring.

Good luck! Also make us some kexts lol!

Hello Midi, i do not find to patch trial reset UPDD Console. But i use sofware Deep Frezee to frezee my drive Mac os and when Mac os start, i don't need reinstall. But when i need install another sofware, i Unfrezee it, with data i save in another partition. Thank you

• Like 1

Hello Midi, i do not find to patch trial reset UPDD Console. But i use sofware Deep Frezee to frezee my drive Mac os and when Mac os start, i don't need reinstall. But when i need install another sofware, i Unfrezee it, with data i save in another partition. Thank you

an OK solution but not optimal, you know, freezing it means deleting freshly made files on each reboot, and also consumes space, not worth it! Until then, we'll find a way, also thanks for the UPDDrewind :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think i've managed to build a nice setup. First a macOS partition that i use with a external screen, keyb and mice, for my daily work (mostly PS and Logic Pro). And a 30G Windows 10 install for when i use it as a tablet, the occasional lay-in-bed browsing, sketching, comic reading... all documents, music, projects, etc, are saved on a 128G microSD formatted as exFat so it can be shared between the two OS. Plus an azurewave card for the wifi+bt.

Near perfect setup for my needs, so thanks a bunch :-)

PS: midi, the Windows install was super easy, just like you said. Just a thing, in case you want to update the guide or something. After installing Windows i lose access to Clover. The quick fix is install EasyUEFI on Windows (free) and move up the Clover Uefi entry to the top. Power menu on the app, click Reboot, done!

• Like 2

I think i've managed to build a nice setup. First a macOS partition that i use with a external screen, keyb and mice, for my daily work (mostly PS and Logic Pro). And a 30G Windows 10 install for when i use it as a tablet, the occasional lay-in-bed browsing, sketching, comic reading... all documents, music, projects, etc, are saved on a 128G microSD formatted as exFat so it can be shared between the two OS. Plus an azurewave card for the wifi+bt.

PS: midi, the Windows install was super easy, just like you said. Just a thing, in case you want to update the guide or something. After installing Windows i lose access to Clover. The quick fix is install EasyUEFI on Windows (free) and move up the Clover Uefi entry to the top. Power menu on the app, click Reboot, done!

Totally! Thanks, either that, or go (in Clover GUI) to Boot Entries (next to Options button) and select Add Entries For ... and it will add them in the Boot menu (F10).

I'll add this to my guide.

hi midi. congrats for the excelent guide. the sound for me is not working i have inkect 6 in clover an the aplealc in the other kext folder but not working at all. thanks

Make sure you have:

- Inject 6 (check that there is no space)

- InjectKexts Yes

- you're using the latest kext

- you're running the release version of macos

Other than that, it should work unless they've changed the codec's inject number.

hi midi. congrats for the excelent guide. the sound for me is not working i have inkect 6 in clover an the aplealc in the other kext folder but not working at all. thanks

Make sure you have:

- Inject 6 (check that there is no space)

- InjectKexts Yes

- you're using the latest kext

- you're running the release version of macos

Other than that, it should work unless they've changed the codec's inject number.

About that, I just browsed the source code of AppleALC and checked the IDs again, can you try 7 instead of 6, I think they moved them and thus the IDs moved too.

NOPE, EVERYTHING IS FINE :D

Hello I have windows, Android and Os Sierra on the Samsung Series 7 Tablet XE700T1A.

The only issue I would really like the resolve is that I can only see os Sierra after boot through my HDMI.

The display on the tablet itself stays black after Os Sierra fully boots. The tablet screen goes black and the Hdmi display works plugged in to the tablet itself.

I really want to see Os Sierra displayed on the tablet itself. How can I fix this issue?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Oh yeah and we'll my external monitor is connected I can see everything but the tablet stays black acting like a trackpad. Disconnecting the HDMI just leaves the tablet display black. Plugging Hdmi external monitor connects again. Must be a way to turn the this play on for the tablet itself with sierra fully booted.

What wifi/Bluetooth card are you using exactly?

Does you have an Ebay or Amazon link to purchase the card.

Or even just to know which cards work best/model would be amazing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hello I have windows, Android and Os Sierra on the Samsung Series 7 Tablet XE700T1A.

The only issue I would really like the resolve is that I can only see os Sierra after boot through my HDMI.

The display on the tablet itself stays black after Os Sierra fully boots. The tablet screen goes black and the Hdmi display works plugged in to the tablet itself.

I really want to see Os Sierra displayed on the tablet itself. How can I fix this issue?

Oh yeah and we'll my external monitor is connected I can see everything but the tablet stays black acting like a trackpad. Disconnecting the HDMI just leaves the tablet display black. Plugging Hdmi external monitor connects again. Must be a way to turn the this play on for the tablet itself with sierra fully booted.

please try to select "Mirror internal screen" instead of your external, just for info, ANY resolution less than 1080p or had 5:4 ratio will not work.

Also for everyone, try to add this under Devices:

• UseIntelHDMI | Boolean | YES

And see if Audio works through HDMI

please try to select "Mirror internal screen" instead of your external, just for info, ANY resolution less than 1080p or had 5:4 ratio will not work.

Where do I select mirror Internal display? In clover configurator itself.

More detail would help.

And to confirm my external display is 1080p at the moment.

My built in display does not show in sierra display settings.

Really do need a better explanation on how to fully enable the internal display/make sure it is recognized by os x itself.

It's just Wierd how I have display through Hdmi and not the tablet itself.

Where do I go to force mirror Internal screen?

How do I make sure os x has detected the internal display?

Sorry for all the questions I really do need help.

I do also appreciate all your time.

Just search Ebay for AW-CE123H. I could get it for 25€ here in Spain ---> http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=AW-CE123H&_sacat=0

I just tried it again, and it's working fine, make sure you have InjectKexts | String | Yes to force all kexts to be loaded at boot, also Inject = 6 and UseIntelHDMI and the HDMI patch

About that, I just browsed the source code of AppleALC and checked the IDs again, can you try 7 instead of 6, I think they moved them and thus the IDs moved too.

I correct myself: Nothing changed!

Link to a YouTube video Demonstrating the issue I am having and have been describing in the forum.

https://youtu.be/d9e9bZWac04

So according to your video, here is what I got:

- it's a Slate 7 device, not Tab 7 (XE700T1A vs XE700T1C which is the one represented in this guide)

- You have 768p display, the Slate 7 doesnt have 1080p (unless you've changed it yourself)

- You're using Clover either in CSM mode (and starts on UEFI) or in CSM mode with legacy boot (the distorted screen)

- Your start time is toooooooooooooooooooooooo long, for me, as soon as I see the Apple logo, it takes 2 secs to show the progress bar

- You have Intel HD3000 which is not covered here, and thus not that supported by me (or any Tab 7 user)

- DSDT-wise, you may need extra stuff

- I had some experiments with few HD3000 laptops, but they all worked OOB, no extra settings were needed, however in your case you may need special care

So myeah, needs extra care and settings, I can help you (but dont get your hopes high or something, I'll do my best), go to the chat section, message me and we'll get in touch.

I just tried it again, and it's working fine, make sure you have InjectKexts | String | Yes to force all kexts to be loaded at boot, also Inject = 6 and UseIntelHDMI and the HDMI patch

I correct myself: Nothing changed!

So according to your video, here is what I got:

- it's a Slate 7 device, not Tab 7 (XE700T1A vs XE700T1C which is the one represented in this guide)

- You have 768p display, the Slate 7 doesnt have 1080p (unless you've changed it yourself)

- You're using Clover either in CSM mode (and starts on UEFI) or in CSM mode with legacy boot (the distorted screen)

- Your start time is toooooooooooooooooooooooo long, for me, as soon as I see the Apple logo, it takes 2 secs to show the progress bar

- You have Intel HD3000 which is not covered here, and thus not that supported by me (or any Tab 7 user)

- DSDT-wise, you may need extra stuff

- I had some experiments with few HD3000 laptops, but they all worked OOB, no extra settings were needed, however in your case you may need special care

So myeah, needs extra care and settings, I can help you (but dont get your hopes high or something, I'll do my best), go to the chat section, message me and we'll get in touch.

It seems as if the internal display is not detected by Os X. In os x setting I do not see the internal display itself as an option. Constantly forcing the Hdmi port to be the display for os x/external display.

Like I said the tablet display does stay black and acts as a trackpad for the Hdmi external display.

Overall I know there is a solution

It seems as if the internal display is not detected by Os X. In os x setting I do not see the internal display itself as an option. Constantly forcing the Hdmi port to be the display for os x/external display.

Like I said the tablet display does stay black and acts as a trackpad for the Hdmi external display.

Overall I know there is a solution

We all know that, tho it's HD3000, so myeah. Send me your config.plist to check it

Khy8yXs.png

Here is the Chat section lol

• Like 1

We all know that, tho it's HD3000, so myeah. Send me your config.plist to check it

Khy8yXs.png

Here is the Chat section lol

Sounds great getting it now to send.

Thanks again for your help, Ethernet cuts out once in a wile is working, audio, camera, Bluetooth work.

Wifi not working at all as of yet but I think it may be possible to fix or maybe just buy a more compatible Wifi card still looking into it.

Display on the tablet and Wifi not working are top priority. Display first of course.

Config file on its way.

@midi

Here is a link to my config file

https://mega.nz/#!PU4ziYoR!Zgv77NOVHzWcYZDDHqrEYVxk6Bicx0aWi8-O380BM6Q

Sounds great getting it now to send.

Thanks again for your help, Ethernet cuts out once in a wile is working, audio, camera, Bluetooth work.

Wifi not working at all as of yet but I think it may be possible to fix or maybe just buy a more compatible Wifi card still looking into it.

Display on the tablet and Wifi not working are top priority. Display first of course.

Config file on its way.

@midi

Here is a link to my config file

Ok here is a testing config, please try it and give me a feedback.

config.plist.zip

WARNING GUYS: NO ONE USES THIS FILE, it's unique to leonidas87

> Tells nobody to use the file

> 12 Downloads

• Like 2