move from hackintosh to real mac without reinstall

15 posts in this topic

I just bought a MacMini and I'm wondering if I can just put the hack SSD in the mac without having to reinstall anything.

My guess is if I copy the EFI partition of the real mac into the hack SSD EFI and remove clover etc and also remove AdummyHDA from my kexts, then install the SSD in the Mac it should work.

Did anyone tried that?

This would only work (in theory) with a fully vanilla install . Still I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Will work with any install did it in 2011 when I bought MacPro. You just need to make sure that you have no stray .kext left in the Extensions tab in the About this Mac in the System Report will give a listing of all them. Moving then once confirming with a reboot, having rebuilt the cache, that any suspect .kext are not needed/Apple provided will do. A fairly simple process to do that should catch anything left over.

if you want try booting the hack drive as an external with a usb to sata adapter if you have one on hand if you feel Leary of trying it as an internal right now.

I have booted my hack drive as is with clover and all on my Mac book pro when I have needed to access it or repair it.

hold down the option key while booting your Mac it should show it might even boot to clover.

if you want it to repair your EFI like removing clover, resize your partition once your Mac is booted you don't have to resize it by much it should wipe efi and remake a fresh one. you can add the space back after.

remove your kexts I guess just to be safe but I think applehda will detect your onboard just fine.

if you still feel iffy about having the hack drive you can reinstall the os on top of the hack and you should not loose any of your personal data.

why so complicated, make a TM backup, then restore your User files only.
So if you want to:

• Replace MacMini's HDD to SSD:
    1. make TM backup to an external/network drive
    2. Clone macmini's HDD into the SSD
    3. Bootup from the SSD (after replacing the HDD with it)
    4. Restore your User files only
  • Just have your files there:
    1. Make sure your mini is still at the "first boot" stage (so you didnt use do anything to it yet, if you did, reinstall)
    2. At the first boot up, make sure both hack and mini are connected to the same network (wired network preferred)
    3. Once you're connected, a migration assistant will ask to migrate your files (with a smiling finder logo), choose From Mac to Mac
    4. It will find your hack (make sure file sharing is enabled under Prefpan > Sharing > File Sharing > Options > AFP)
    5. Select what you want to copy over (select your Account only, you may copy system configurations if you dont have some osx86-related prefpan/setting, kexts SHOULDNT be copied normally)
    6. Leave it and enjoy.

Both will take some time, good luck!

PS: You can also restore from a TM backup from that migration window, so myeah you can do anything.

resizing the partition should remove any leftover flags or hidden files and rebuild EFI as new. you don't have to shrink it by much just enough to change the size. 1 click.

Why resize efi? Can't you just remove and replace the content?

is it necessary. probably not. it was only a suggestion since you mentioned dehacking the volume.

my guess is one should also logout from services and what about hardware preferences ? For example network.

Network will just pickup the change and get its IP using the new card it finds, time machine if using it will see changed machine and ask if you want to replace/reuse the backup with it. Ah screen resolutions may need to be changed depending on what the old card supported. Don't think there was anything else when I did similar couple of weeks ago on the EC upgrade when it failed on my brothers Mac Mini and left the machine in unusable state so I had to clone my hack install to it to get it upgraded. All four of my hacks upgraded perfectly fine the only real Apple machine failed, go figure eh!

w

Network will just pickup the change and get its IP using the new card it finds, time machine if using it will see changed machine and ask if you want to replace/reuse the backup with it. Ah screen resolutions may need to be changed depending on what the old card supported. Don't think there was anything else when I did similar couple of weeks ago on the EC upgrade when it failed on my brothers Mac Mini and left the machine in unusable state so I had to clone my hack install to it to get it upgraded. All four of my hacks upgraded perfectly fine the only real Apple machine failed, go figure eh!

what did you do with the efi partition there?

what did you do with the efi partition there?

Not a thing it was only a cloning of a booted OS on external drive to the internal by CCC so it never touched it. All that needs to be done by you is mount mini EFI partition on spinning drive copy the folders there to safe location then mount SSD EFI partition delete anything in it and copy the directories/files that were saved to it and put drive in machine.

Edit: If you have external enclosure to put SSD into do that boot it on the mini by holding option key during startup to select it from the list presented. Once booted check around in settings/test out programs for any problems if none then you are good to go on install into machine.

• 2 weeks later...

here's what I did:

1) copied the EFI content from the original disk (there was the APPLE folder with firmware);

2) removed EFI content from the hack disk and replaced with the data previously copied from original HDD;

3) exited from all services in the hack (icloud, imessage, facetime, itunes etc..);

4) removed aDummyHDA kext;

5) replaced original disk with the hack disk in mac mini;

6) booted the macmini, logged back in services, no problems at all arised;

7) reinstalled latest sierra build over the inserted disk (no data or configuration was lost in the process)

8) resetted pram and smc.