[Guide] Acer Aspire R7 tricky parts & resource links for El Capitan installation

Dennis Lee

2 posts in this topic

Just got most of the stuff working on my R7, vanilla OS X installation. Meant as a note for myself in case of reinstallation, and also hope this can help others. Currently writing a lot of stuff from memory.

Specs:

Acer R7-572G 7450161Tass

i7 4500U

16G DDR3

GT 750M, 2GB VRAM

nTrig DuoSense touchscreen and digitizer

ELAN touchpad

BCM94360CD wireless card

ASIX ethernet adapter from AmazonBasics

1T Samsung 850 Pro for windows and ubuntu

1T Samsung 850 EVO mSATA for Mac

Hackintosh OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

1. Pre-install

Make installation drive as instructed in the tutorials. Write Clover bootloader to EFI partition of the drive. Load the needed kexts in Clover's kext directory.

Needed kexts:

1. AHCIPortInjector or equivalent function kext to fix the "prohibited sign"/no root device found problem

2. Use RehabMan's FakePCIID kexts and inject the appropriate device ID and ig-platform-id for graphics, or delete the intel graphics kexts as instructed in the tutorials. (you will be stuck at Missing Bluetooth transport if you don't do this)

3. FakeSMC

4. Appropriate touchpad driver to enable keyboard and touchpad. I have an ELAN touchpad so I used EMlyDinEsH's Smart Touchpad driver

Use USB2.0 port to install if USB3.0 isn't working.

2. Installation - proceed as instructed in the tutorials

3. Post installation

Working out of the box: Touchscreen and pen. Just that the pen pressure seems to overflow, and no multitouch support, no differentiation between pen and touch input.

Webcam also working out of the box.

I can play osu on this Hack after installing XQuartz, with stylus. 

Extract DSDT and SSDTs from either Windows software, or copy from linux /dev/ACPI/ directory. Fix all errors.

Download MaciASL, add RehabMan's laptop repository.

Disable SIP so third-party kexts can be loaded.

Install Clover for UEFI. Install all of the kexts mentioned in the pre-install step either in Clover or /S/L/E with a kext utility.

Seems like adding a slide=50 boot argument to Clover helps it boot more consistently.

3.1 Graphics acceleration   

Guide

Seems like ig-platform-id injection is no longer needed with the FakePCIID? I used to use the id from this post anyway.

My device is 0x04128086 under Devices>FakeID>IntelGFX, and ig-platform-id is 0x0a260006, under graphics section of Clover Configurator. 

Fix for boot screen garble

Also apply the patch to rename GFX0 to IGPU for DSDT. It is said it helps to get a better power management.

3.1.1 Brightness

If you want to patch to a SSDT, the appropriate SSDT is SSDT4. You need to rename GFX0 to IGPU if you did so in the DSDT.

For the brightness control buttons, use this patch:

into method label _Q11 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.KBC0, 0x20)\n
end;
into method label _Q12 replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
    Notify (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.KBC0, 0x10)\n
end;

How this works is it converts ACPI EC method calls into PS2 keyboard code, so Mac can get it.

3.1.2 Disable discrete graphics to save battery life

The appropriate SSDT for me is SSDT5. You have to rename the aml to SSDT-5.aml after done patching to get Clover to load it. You need to rename GFX0 to IGPU if you did so in the DSDT.

Somehow the discrete graphics came back. I might look at it again when interested. It doesn't bother me much for now.

3.2 USB EHCI 

Follow this guide

3.3 Audio

This took me the longest time to figure out. Turns out the main reason why AppleHDA is not working is because of IRQ conflict. After patching the DSDT for IRQ fix you should be able to use any AppleHDA mod or injector for ALC282 to get audio working. I used AppleALC and layout ID 28 (since layout 28 is for a Acer E1 model) for this.

3.4 Battery status

Seems like what I did to patch the DSDT is the same as the E1 patch in RehabMan's repo. So just apply the E1 patch and install ACPIBattery.kext to get it working. 

3.5 WiFi & Bluetooth

The normal adding device ID and vendor ID to the Bluetooth Info.plist trick works for Bluetooth. For WiFi, I heard you need to rebrand your card to make it work. Or maybe try FakePCIID. For me, I stuffed a BCM94360CD inside my laptop with PCIE riser cable and did some antenna mods. (but the signal is pretty bad) You can also tether an Android device with HorNDIS driver, or tether an Apple device for wireless access.

3.5.1 get ethernet built-in to 0x01 so App Store works

I tried resetting NetworkInterfaces.plist for many times without any success. In the end, I have to use inject the property with device-properties string. I forgot where I got it, but I used DarwinDumper to dump the current device-properties plist. Then, I added 

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x3)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>built-in</key>
<string>0x01</string>
</dict>

to the plist. (also forgot how I found the PCI address for the WiFi card, but anyway it's 00:1c.3 for me) After that, I used EFIStudio to convert the plist into a hex string, and put that under Clover configurator's Device -> Properties area and check Inject. I'm not sure how to use the Clover's Arbitrary injection. That may be better so you can change all the values on the fly.

3.6 Stuff still not working

Sleep. Pressing sleep seems to make the mac hibernate and restart, and come back with scrambled screen.

iCloud stuff. Keeps telling me I have to reenter password.

SD card reader

Also with the graphic driver loaded, the system hangs for about 20 seconds at the login screen (mouse movement stuttered) and no spinning wheel when shutting down or restarting. Dragging icon off stacks on dock (eg, documents, downloads) also gives glitchy (colorful) icon.

f.lux is not working. It flashes the screen badly. Update: turns out f.lux glitch is due to shades being installed and enabled. f.lux worked correctly after uninstalling shades. (I used that before I got screen beightness working, and somehow the screen brightness stuck at a low value at some point so I had to look for solution to enable screen brightness adjustment)

RehabMan's FAQ and pokenguyen's AIO guide are really useful, if you have any other problems.

I have changed and rebuilt MacIASL so that I can use newer versions of IASL binary without having to build the IASL binary in a specific way required by the MacIASL author. By default, MacIASL only parses output in stderr, but when you build IASL binary from source, all outputs are in stdout. As a result, the warning and errors list of MacIASL come up empty. I removed a conditional statement from MacIASL's source, so that output in stdout is parsed instead.

If anyone has any idea about those stuff not working, reply is appreciated

Thank you all in this forum.

Edited by Dennis Li

• 5 months later...

Recently installed XQuartz because osu! needs it. It causes graphical glitches in menu bar similar to that when I drag stuff off the stacks on dock. Thus I disabled the plist with launchctl disable gui/$UID/nameoftheservice. After re-login the glitch on the stacks icon seems to have been resolved! 

Or maybe that's because I've recently upgraded to 10.11.6

Just making a note here.

Edit: seems to be the framebuffer caused menu bar glitch by using ig-platform-id 0x0a260006

can be resolved by login logout login