Sleep mode on Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5

TallCoolOne

20 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I got my Sierra hackinotsh mostly working perfectly including audio, nvidia gfx, power management, etc.

Shutdown works fine but sleep mode does not. It goes to sleep but then wakes up within a few seconds on its own.

I have tried the SlpSmiAtWake option in Clover, that is what enabled it to get past being able to wake from sleep at all, but cant seem to figure out why it wont stay asleep.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Hey all,

I got my Sierra hackinotsh mostly working perfectly including audio, nvidia gfx, power management, etc.

Shutdown works fine but sleep mode does not. It goes to sleep but then wakes up within a few seconds on its own.

I have tried the SlpSmiAtWake option in Clover, that is what enabled it to get past being able to wake from sleep at all, but cant seem to figure out why it wont stay asleep.

Any ideas?

thanks!

hello, I have the same motherboard, you'd be so kind to explain how you got it?

are you using nullcpupowermanagement? i heard that breaks sleep on some board. have you tried the flag darkwake=0 

Nope not using nullcpu, and yes I have tried darkwake=0 since I think I read it as a possible solution on a thread. What exactly do those values mean? should I try a different one?

Thanks!

hello, I have the same motherboard, you'd be so kind to explain how you got it?

Where exactly are you getting stuck?

Are you using a water cooler? I have the same board and sleep wakes up for me straight away because I have the usb header plugged in for my water cooler and power supply.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nope not using nullcpu, and yes I have tried darkwake=0 since I think I read it as a possible solution on a thread. What exactly do those values mean? should I try a different one?

Thanks!

Where exactly are you getting stuck?

network and audio not work with sierra

Are you using a water cooler? I have the same board and sleep wakes up for me straight away because I have the usb header plugged in for my water cooler and power supply.

I am actually, the Corsair H100i v2, and I do have the USB connection on it. Perhaps that is it. What does the USB connection on that even do? I'm guessing there is software for monitoring it through Windows...is it required?

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

network and audio not work with sierra

For network I used IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0, and I am using the bottom ethernet port on the motherboard, I have not tested if the top one works.

For audio I used ALC1150 option, then ran toledo's script, the 120 version from here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/#post886744

Edit: Oh before running toledo's script I also added this to ACPI,  DSDT Patches section in Clover Configurator:

Comment: Rename HDAS to HDEF

Find: 48444153

Replace: 48444546

I am actually, the Corsair H100i v2, and I do have the USB connection on it. Perhaps that is it. What does the USB connection on that even do? I'm guessing there is software for monitoring it through Windows...is it required?

Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

For network I used IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0, and I am using the bottom ethernet port on the motherboard, I have not tested if the top one works.

For audio I used ALC1150 option, then ran toledo's script, the 120 version from here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.143757/#post886744

Edit: Oh before running toledo's script I also added this to ACPI, DSDT Patches section in Clover Configurator:

Comment: Rename HDAS to HDEF

Find: 48444153

Replace: 48444546

Yes in widows there is software for setting fan curves and monitoring. If you need your pc to sleep then you can unplug the usb from it.

There is actually a whole lot of information on this board in another thread on this forum.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?/topic/309352-El-Capitan-on-GA-Z170X-Gaming-5

I don't know the role of this port, but from your description, I understand the water cooler is connected to one of the internal USB2 ports (2 ports hub attached to HS08 or HS11 or HS12).

From my experience, a good sleep requires that this port is defined as internal (type 255) in the USB injection method you use.

Another solution would be enabling SuspendOverride in DSDT section of Clover's config.plist

I don't know the role of this port, but from your description, I understand the water cooler is connected to one of the internal USB2 ports (2 ports hub attached to HS08 or HS11 or HS12).

From my experience, a good sleep requires that this port is defined as internal (type 255) in the USB injection method you use.

Another solution would be enabling SuspendOverride in DSDT section of Clover's config.plist

Interesting, ok I will definitely try both of those, thanks for the suggestions.

On the topic of USB injection, I'm in the process of making my own SSDT for USB (currently just using the port limit expansion patch), I have most of the ports mapped out except the USB 3.1 port (not type-c). My USB3 device shows up on the Mac when I plug it in there, and I can find it in IORegistryExplorer under IOResources/AppleUSBHostResources, but not in the XHC section. According to IOResources it is on AppleUSBXHCI@00000000, whereas all my other ports show up under AppleUSBXHCI@14000000. So all my entries for the other ports are under PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC@14, shouldn't there also be an XHC@00 somewhere with this port?

On the topic of USB injection, I'm in the process of making my own SSDT for USB (currently just using the port limit expansion patch), I have most of the ports mapped out except the USB 3.1 port (not type-c). My USB3 device shows up on the Mac when I plug it in there, and I can find it in IORegistryExplorer under IOResources/AppleUSBHostResources, but not in the XHC section. According to IOResources it is on AppleUSBXHCI@00000000, whereas all my other ports show up under AppleUSBXHCI@14000000. So all my entries for the other ports are under PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/XHC@14, shouldn't there also be an XHC@00 somewhere with this port?

You may have a look at this injector : https://files.macg.co/macgupload/1473833650-16437614854540.zip. The archive contains pictures identifying the ports.

You will have to adapt the kext's info.plist to your particular needs :

- change the two references to "iMac17,1" to what fits your SMBIOS setting

- as said before, change port type to 255 where needed

- (optional but recommended) in order to limit yourself to what macOS natively supports (15 ports), remove references to unneeded ports (and remove the current patch to bypass the limit)

You are right, the USB3.1 ports aren't under XHC@14.

They seem to be handled independently (so they don't count in the 15 ports limit) and I did not have to explicitly inject them to have them appear in System Information (with a USB3.0 speed limit).

They don't seem to be very reliable with current versions of macOS though.

You may have a look at this injector : https://files.macg.co/macgupload/1473833650-16437614854540.zip. The archive contains pictures identifying the ports.

You will have to adapt the kext's info.plist to your particular needs :

- change the two references to "iMac17,1" to what fits your SMBIOS setting

- as said before, change port type to 255 where needed

- (optional but recommended) in order to limit yourself to what macOS natively supports (15 ports), remove references to unneeded ports (and remove the current patch to bypass the limit)

You are right, the USB3.1 ports aren't under XHC@14.

They seem to be handled independently (so they don't count in the 15 ports limit) and I did not have to explicitly inject them to have them appear in System Information (with a USB3.0 speed limit).

They don't seem to be very reliable with current versions of macOS though.

Ahhh I had just finished mapping all mine out manually...well at least it confirms I go them all right :)

Interesting this is in the form of a kext, I was making an aml file using MacAISL based on the steps I had found...this should be quicker though...

Finally, I've been using iMac14,2 because I had read it was more problem free, since 17,1 is an actual Skylake CPU would I gain anything by switching to it (or lose anything)?

I think I read somewhere I would have more CPU states for power management...I tried making making my own SSDT for that but I'm not sure it's working...perhaps because of the board id not matching? I just said continue in the ssdtPRGen script.

Thanks for all the help!

Ahhh I had just finished mapping all mine out manually...well at least it confirms I go them all right :)

Interesting this is in the form of a kext, I was making an aml file using MacAISL based on the steps I had found...this should be quicker though...

I'd be interested to see at least a sample of your aml file… Comparing different approaches is always interesting.

Finally, I've been using iMac14,2 because I had read it was more problem free, since 17,1 is an actual Skylake CPU would I gain anything by switching to it (or lose anything)?

I think I read somewhere I would have more CPU states for power management...I tried making making my own SSDT for that but I'm not sure it's working...perhaps because of the board id not matching? I just said continue in the ssdtPRGen script.

You can download my configuration and track my progresses on Github.

Initially, I tested iMac17,1 but chose to switch to 14,2, because I want my macOS install to remain as "vanilla" as possible, and solutions to the "dark screen" issue caused by the 17,1 SMBIOS would have required messing inside the System/Library/Extensions folder.

For the time being, I see no reason to prefer 17,1. It required exactly the same steps (1 and 2) to get native power management, and performance appears to be identical.

I am almost 100% satisfied with my current setup. Wakes from deep sleep will require more work, but I am sure I 've got a solution : I just want to be sure I have a clear comprehension of what is required and what is optional.

I'd be interested to see at least a sample of your aml file… Comparing different approaches is always interesting.

You can download my configuration and track my progresses on Github.

Initially, I tested iMac17,1 but chose to switch to 14,2, because I want my macOS install to remain as "vanilla" as possible, and solutions to the "dark screen" issue caused by the 17,1 SMBIOS would have required messing inside the System/Library/Extensions folder.

For the time being, I see no reason to prefer 17,1. It required exactly the same steps (1 and 2) to get native power management, and performance appears to be identical.

I am almost 100% satisfied with my current setup. Wakes from deep sleep will require more work, but I am sure I 've got a solution : I just want to be sure I have a clear comprehension of what is required and what is optional.

I couldn't get mine to work with the kext USB you sent me, I made the edits for 14,2 as well as the ports but I would only get USB 2.0 ports (HSxx). I got USB working with the aml approach though, and I tried the value of 255 for the port where the cooler is connected but it still wakes up right away after sleep.

Here is my USB dsl source file as well as the aml: https://d.pr/ETmC

I will take a look at your power management setup, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a similar problem where the system wakes up immediately after sleep. Later I found out, that the first sleep right after booting is always successfully. However, the second and subsequent sleeps will depend on how the system was waken last time.

If the system is waken by a key press or mouse/trackpad click, the next sleep would always fail with this problem.

If the system is waken by pressing the power button on the case, the next sleep is always successful.

I don't use DSDT/SSDT, and 17,1 SMBIOS is used. USBInjectorAll.kext is used with HS08 for BRCM20702 BT changed to 255.

Thought I would post an update here for anyone else looking into the same issues.

My sleep mode is working fine now, I just disabled HS08 (the port where the H100i is connected) in the boot options in clover. If I want to change the Corsair Link config now I can't use VMware anymore (since the port is disabled) but I can boot into Windows to do so. I never really need to change the settings anyway after setting them.

I connected the H100i pump directly to the CPU_FAN motherboard header and the fans (using a Y cable) to the CPU_OPT header. I then set the pump to Full Speed in the BIOS and CPU_OPT to Normal. I found the fans were firing up a lot though and can be quite loud, so I installed Macs Fan Control to set them to turn on only when the CPU goes above 40C. This keeps the machine nice and quiet most of the time.

My sound doesn't work after wake from sleep but I have found quite a bit of info on that and will look into the various options next.

• Like 1

Sounf after sleep dont working with AppleALC and Codec commander. 

A have same MB and sleep working like it should. 

I dont use USBInjectAll.kext, maybe problem in kext? 

I got my sound working after sleep, the only other issue I had was my USB drives being ejected on sleep, used SafeSleepUSB and that works now too.

I used Codec Commander for audio after sleep, it is working for me. I can PM you my kext for you to try when I get home later.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post an update here for anyone else looking into the same issues.

My sleep mode is working fine now, I just disabled HS08 (the port where the H100i is connected) in the boot options in clover. If I want to change the Corsair Link config now I can't use VMware anymore (since the port is disabled) but I can boot into Windows to do so. I never really need to change the settings anyway after setting them.

I connected the H100i pump directly to the CPU_FAN motherboard header and the fans (using a Y cable) to the CPU_OPT header. I then set the pump to Full Speed in the BIOS and CPU_OPT to Normal. I found the fans were firing up a lot though and can be quite loud, so I installed Macs Fan Control to set them to turn on only when the CPU goes above 40C. This keeps the machine nice and quiet most of the time.

My sound doesn't work after wake from sleep but I have found quite a bit of info on that and will look into the various options next.

I have almost the same hardware with you. Initially when I shutdown my machine, it will restart after a few seconds, and I fix this by checking "fix shutdown" in clover configrator. Everything else is working perfect except this sleep problem. 

You said that you fixed this problem by disable HS08, but I don't have a H100i connected, how can I fix this?

Would you please show me you bios configration and clover config file? Or any advice?