SOLVED black screen - Sierra - Fermi - 560ti - READ ON

sld87

1 post in this topic

What a momentous occasion!!! Finally got it up and running guys.

The Problem:
You've probably read it a million times for different cards. The dreaded black screen issue for Sierra. Like many, you probably had a working system in El Cap but now after updating you get the BSOD. (Black Screen of Death). What to do? Read on

The Basics:
You probably need Web Drivers. Otherwise, you wouldn't need to disable the Nvidia ones to log in (It would switch to them natively) and you'd get notice QE/CI support. I thought I was using OSX drivers in El Cap (According to the radio switch.. But i was on Web all along)/

Step One:
Boot and install Sierra using your preferred method. I haven't tried direct update, but I will try that tomorrow.

Step Two:

After initial boot, boot back into OSX and

- Run Clover installer for your build (Mine was legacy etc) customise to your liking.
- Set your SMBIOS to 14,1 (This is 100% supports)
- Should you need to switch SMBIOS, you can either
 a) switch it in AGPD kext by running Slim Jim's method 3 
This means replacing one of the other boards listed with your own, or by changing Config2 to none if necessary

B) changing it in Clover (Preferred). This means you can use any SMBIOS profile you want, you just need to change your boardID to that of iMac 14,2 (Or any other that is already supported in that kext). This is preferred, because it means you don't need to update the kext every update.. Clover will ensure you are always in the clear.

- Activate NvidiaWeb boot flag in Clover as per the new way of doing it in Sierra 

- Finally, install the Nvidia Web Drivers and reboot.

Now, for the kicker:

I tried all these methods before. Multiple times in fact. But I had missed one important variable. The cabling. People are reporting VGA issues (to be expected). But folks, my setup didn't work in DVI. It wasn't until i realised that under El Capitan my setup would only boot when DVI was in slot 1, not 2, that the eureka moment came. YOU HAVE TO USE HDMI CABLING. This is definitive. I tried it in DVI and it DID NOT BOOT.

Lastly, a huge, massive thanks to Slim.Jim for his continued efforts
SexyTaco and OLDSPORT 
Kota991 for his suggestion to try HDMI (Which proved to be right, but I didn't read it until after I had tried!).

I believe this is a true fix for the majority of unanswered black screen problems people are having.