VMware Fusion Thread

177 posts in this topic

ok i am running kalyway 10.5.2 and was running vista 64 in vmware fusion just fine as a bootcamp (vista on seperate hd)

now i have that hd that had vista set up as a dual boot with vista64 and xp and i can boot into each one from vistas bootloader fine, but now in osx when i run vmware i cant boot vista64 or xp in it. it doesnt detect either os now.. is there a way to manually set up a bootcamp and target a specific partition on a disk like how we do it in parellels?

• 1 month later...

This Thread is only for VMware-Installs on Mac or Windows too ?

Just want to install Mac as VM, have Vista 32bit. But thanks to the search function, i cant find the right Thread about how to install mac as virtual machine in/for/on windows Vista 32bit.

I hope u can help.

Thx.

when I try to install vmware I get this error

VM fusion unrecoverable error (VNX)

NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1220

A log file is available in "/Users/e1z/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I am using leopard 10.5.1 kalyway on a hackintish

• 2 weeks later...

Okay People i see many are having problems.. ill Address a few of them as simply as possible..

I have noticed that through overclocking your pc many have had issues with vmware.. myself included.. slow performance etc.. so .. i played around with my overclock and met a sweetspot.. everything seems a.ok

I reccomend switching to Fusion Beta 2 and it shored up alot of issues i had with fusion in the first place...

I have installed almost every largely known Os in the Beta 2 product without issue..major issue that is..

ok 3D acceleration the good and the bad.. there are for some reason issues with older ATI/NVidia Mac drivers causing really wierd issues which was cleared up by the latest drivers for your card..10.5.3 killed my vmware .. so back to 10.5.2 for now.

Boot issues with vmware USE Acronis OS selector it works! it will readress the issues with bootcamp...!!! im running fullsteam Vista x64 with service pack! although i find x64 likes the 2 processor config better.. maybe its just me.

as you can see in my pics Unity loves Media Center and works well YAY. also streaming to your ps3 and 360 works VERY WELL with shared folders!! sometiems a little bump now and then but tweak your router if you can and use traffic shaping to give the ps3 and 360 priority.. USE STATIC ROUTING! save yourself some hours of stress trust me. ps3 now allows Divx playback so when i want to watch a movie i just rum vmware and open media center and the setup went well!

DJRUMBU you should consider 10.5 and the newer Fusion release more stable..update alll your drivers etc...

DRUNKnBASS ACRONIS OS SELECTOR! install it on your pc make a thumb drive withthe os selector activator and if it stops working use the thumb drive to reactivate it.. even in vmware! SEE pics

thanks all and everyone for your help in these forums together we can make a difference.

PS WINODWS HOME SERVER_if you can get yourself a coopy and install it in vmware USE IT !!! great tool for streaming alll of your audio video and pics to every pc in the house including consoles!

i have the install under "home" in one of the pics wehn i get it fully stable i will post pics!

post-157287-1213256492_thumb.png

post-157287-1213256500_thumb.png

post-157287-1213256513_thumb.png

post-157287-1213256523_thumb.png

post-157287-1213256530_thumb.png

post-157287-1213256540_thumb.png

Guest ѕиоѡ

I'm using Vmware Fusion 2 beta and have no issues. I use it to convert my xvids and it works properly and speedy using 2 cores and 1GB RAM.

when I try to install vmware I get this error

VM fusion unrecoverable error (VNX)

NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1220

A log file is available in "/Users/e1z/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I am using leopard 10.5.1 kalyway on a hackintish

Pressure you NEED to sort out your video card driver so that your system has supported quartz see pic! usually the newest driver sorts that right out.. OR your VC may not support Quartz i would reccomend purchasing a newer card OR finding a cheaper card that supports Quartz...post-157287-1213257065_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
Pressure you NEED to sort out your video card driver so that your system has supported quartz see pic! usually the newest driver sorts that right out.. OR your VC may not support Quartz i would reccomend purchasing a newer card OR finding a cheaper card that supports Quartz...post-157287-1213257065_thumb.png

Sha_Doh I haven't had a chance to try this, but this goes out to everyone running VMWare Fusion Beta 2. Have you tried running Leopard OS X Server on your hackintoshes using Fusion Beta 2 since it support Leopard Server?

I will give it a shot over this weekend and let you guys know my results, but if someone has some before hand info. on what to do and not to do, it will be helpful. Thanks.

I just found this link browsing through various pages on the Internet.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-6670

It talks about how to install the server using Fusion Beta 2. Of course what it talks about is in relation to Apple hardware, but I don't see how this can be any different using a hackintosh PC. Only thing that comes to mind is driver issues when VMWare tools installs.

Sha_Doh I haven't had a chance to try this, but this goes out to everyone running VMWare Fusion Beta 2. Have you tried running Leopard OS X Server on your hackintoshes using Fusion Beta 2 since it support Leopard Server?

I will give it a shot over this weekend and let you guys know my results, but if someone has some before hand info. on what to do and not to do, it will be helpful. Thanks.

well guise, ain't nothing working for me.

back when i was on tiger (jas 10.4.8) Vmware fusion 1 worked and so did parallels.

now on Kalyway 10.5.2, not a single vm works. nothing, not even vmware 2 beta 2, not even parallels, and its freaking annoying..... ~~ not even virtual box ~~

i get the same error posted before : VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)

oh well Life

Has anyone had issues installing Fusion 2 on Kalyway? Every time I try to run the install it comes up with the message "VMware Fusion cannot be installed on this computer. Sorry, VMware Fusion can only be installed on Macs with Intel processors". Of course I *am* running in Intel processor... A core 2 quad q6600 to be exact. My mobo is an Asus P5K-e and everything else seems to run flawlessly. I even have Fusion 1.1 running on the same box, but 2.0 refuses to install. Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong!

Thanks..

I am running Fusion 2.0 beta on 10.5.4 iAtKos on a quad processor P35-DS3G board.

I must say it's VERY VERY VERY VERY unstable and buggy.

If you install Vmware tools; it's bad news -- it kills the host -- you literally have to power cycle.

( I have repeated this multiple times . .. 100% repeatable)

If you run 2 machines .. both vista .. chances of hard crash are about 50% in 2 hours .. increasing with use.

My machine ran fine for 2days without fusion, with it .. .3 hours.

Single machine emulation is still ok .. XP-PRO was bad .. video drivers provided by vmware is not supported in the standard sp2 disk .. no way to confiigure it.

So I played with vista only .. creating multiple vm's .. just to see how it would behave.

In one experiment the machine crashed while loading something from a physical cdrom drive .. this is a known problem on this hackint0sh .. and I haven't been able to fix it .. but VM that was using it became 100% unusable . .you couldn't start that VM again .. it would HOSE the host everytime I tried it under fusion.

In short .. I am rather disappointed -- networking (shared folders) are a mystery to me .. sometimes they just don't come up on the guest os side .. without vmware tools I am not sure what one can do .. and with them you can hose the freaking thing.

Mouse/KBd behavior is different between windows and linux guests . on linux guests you have to use control-command to get to host .. on windows it's seamless .. but if you kill windows (by virtue of vmware bugs) .. the keyboard/mouse control is lost to host .. power-cycle time .. this is AWFUL

I would love to enter these bugs on the VMware site .. but their system is so hosed and "protective" that you need gods direct permission to enter their site.

May be 1.x version was better .. this one is still an alpha .. they just call it a beta because no one would want to touch an alpha ..

• 2 weeks later...

I installed 1.1.3 and it works great :) I can't believe how well it works actually. When I install beta2 things are different :/ it loads the VM and then boots to Vista, then after a few minutes the application closes and I load it back up, it takes me back to where I was and then a few minutes later dies again.

Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

EVGA 8500GT

4GB Corsair XMS2 800

2x 320GB WDC WD3200AAJS

74GB WD Raptor WDC WD74 0GD-00FLA0

Windows Vista X86

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4

hey guys,

is it possible to network virtual machines together in fusion? for part of my course i'm looking at active directory so i've been trying to set up server 2008 as a domain controller and connecting an xp vm. i don't have enough computers to keep changing OS's all the time so thought vmware might be an easier way of playing round with domain networking.

thanks in advance,

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

I've installed Windows XP SP3 on VMware 2.0 and when i restarted my hackbook i got a kernel panic :S. And it seems it killed my bootloader too.

What should i do now ?

• 3 weeks later...

VMWare Fusion 2.0 was working fine on Kalyway 10.5.2, I then updated to 10.5.4 - I now get kernel panic whenever I try run a earlier created machine or create a new one, install doesn't even begin to start.

I've tried removing nvinject.kext's, but that didn't make any difference..

I have Kaly 10.5.2 >>10.5.5, and VMWare Fusion 2 works fine (XP Pro SP2). Just the Unity mode take a lot of ressource, but it runs. I even success to run FarCry on XP! and it runs, but quite slowly.. not enought fast to play correctly, but it is possible..

I am running VMware Fusion since almost a year on both a MacBook 10.5.5 (white) and a Hackintosh P5K-VM, NV-8500GT Kaly 10.5.2->10.5.4 without any problem.

However, things are getting very weird when I upgraded to Fusion 2.0 (legit). I am having random freeze on both MACs. Ok, I am not running any M$ OS, but darn me cause I am using VMware for running different Linux Distribution in both x86 and x86_64 for development purpose.

Anyone seeing a pattern ? So only choice is to swtich to Linux and running VMware Workstation ! I don't mind but I would prefer to develop from OSX

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Runs sweet on my macbook pro

very very sweet.

Only thing i don't grasp, is how to disable a usb device in OSX so that XP can detect it. Well, XP detects it BUT OSX won't release control of it. Any ideas how to disable a device in OSX???

macbook pro 2.4

OSX 10.5.5

2GB Ram

Vmware FUSION 2.01

XP SP2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As soon as I run fusion 2.01 on my atkos 5i, my machine crashes and shows the multilingual restart screen.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Parrallels 4 is installed and works ok. But i really want to use fusion instead.

Please help!

same here... but i'm running iDeneb 10.5.5...

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, when I try to install any Windows CD from PHYSICAL CD drive Mac crashes in a second from when I press the button to virtualize.

Running iATKOS 5i.

Ill try using the Vista 32 image and see how that goes.

I hope it doesnt require virtualization support from my Dualcore CPU which is E7200 and does not support that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am running Fusion 2.0 beta on 10.5.4 iAtKos on a quad processor P35-DS3G board.

I must say it's VERY VERY VERY VERY unstable and buggy.

If you install Vmware tools; it's bad news -- it kills the host -- you literally have to power cycle.

( I have repeated this multiple times . .. 100% repeatable)

If you run 2 machines .. both vista .. chances of hard crash are about 50% in 2 hours .. increasing with use.

My machine ran fine for 2days without fusion, with it .. .3 hours.

Single machine emulation is still ok .. XP-PRO was bad .. video drivers provided by vmware is not supported in the standard sp2 disk .. no way to confiigure it.

So I played with vista only .. creating multiple vm's .. just to see how it would behave.

In one experiment the machine crashed while loading something from a physical cdrom drive .. this is a known problem on this hackint0sh .. and I haven't been able to fix it .. but VM that was using it became 100% unusable . .you couldn't start that VM again .. it would HOSE the host everytime I tried it under fusion.

In short .. I am rather disappointed -- networking (shared folders) are a mystery to me .. sometimes they just don't come up on the guest os side .. without vmware tools I am not sure what one can do .. and with them you can hose the freaking thing.

Mouse/KBd behavior is different between windows and linux guests . on linux guests you have to use control-command to get to host .. on windows it's seamless .. but if you kill windows (by virtue of vmware bugs) .. the keyboard/mouse control is lost to host .. power-cycle time .. this is AWFUL

I would love to enter these bugs on the VMware site .. but their system is so hosed and "protective" that you need gods direct permission to enter their site.

May be 1.x version was better .. this one is still an alpha .. they just call it a beta because no one would want to touch an alpha ..

same here... but i'm running iDeneb 10.5.5...

• 4 months later...

Fusion 2.05 seems rock solid on SL (10.6) in 32bit mode. Its not able to run on SL in 64bit mode. I was able to build a Win7 vm on it from dvd, and run it all day in Unity mode or whatever. I can run a Dvico nano2 dtv tuner in the vm, but not reliably. The good news being that it may freeze the video, but not the win7 vm or osx.

No, I can't run Aero desktop. Clearly there's no Win7 tools support yet.

• 5 months later...

Just loaded Snow leopard on a Samsung N310 netbook and when I try to install VM fusion 3.02 (latest) it freezes on install and gives the dreaded multilanguage restart screen and it never goes away...had to reinstall everything. I've read through this thread, but I'm still not sure how to fix it??