Clover issue 10.12

mickeyd453

10 posts in this topic

I have this clover issue on Sierra but I don't think it's specific to the OS. I install onto a 1TB disk which is partitioned into a single partition when I boot off that disk once clover is installed I get the clover 'bios' type screen you see attached.

If I shrink the partition to say 500gb and then reinstall clover it will boot ok. Is there something I am missing or does clover have an issue with larger disks. I have it running fine on other machines with 4TB and 2TB drives so I know it works which makes me think I have forgotten something. I have tried various clover versions including the very latest.

Cheers

post-841024-0-91506800-1475178584_thumb.jpg

the firmware on your drive might need updating.

thanks but i am not sure as this drive WAS running El Cap without problem, ie a single 1TB partition. I currently removed all paritions from the drive and started from scratch to see what might be up. I have other WD drives of 2TB and 4TB running El Cap as single partition from clover without problem.

Config.plist syntax error

did you move your DSDT.aml to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

FackSMC in the right place

Exactly the same config.plist thats running on the USB drive and on 2 other drives I've used to test this out although they are 320GB and 500GB test drives.

I don't need a DSDT any more so don't use one and FakeSMC.kext is in the right place - I really don't understand it at all as I don't recall ever doing anything special to boot a 'larger' partition. I have changed SATA ports as a test but the same result.

Exactly the same config.plist thats running on the USB drive and on 2 other drives I've used to test this out although they are 320GB and 500GB test drives.

I don't need a DSDT any more so don't use one and FakeSMC.kext is in the right place - I really don't understand it at all as I don't recall ever doing anything special to boot a 'larger' partition. I have changed SATA ports as a test but the same result.

I put enoch on the disk just to see what would happen, although i dont have a good config any more, and the drive boots with it! Put clover back on and straight back to the 'bios' type screen. I really am stumped as i have not seen this before in the 3+ years since i migrated to clover.

OK - i am totally confused now. As a test i booted into my El Cap intsall on the SAME machine, which sits on a single 2TB partition, and mounted the problematic disk in a USB SATA enclosure and resized the partition to 500GB and did NOTHING else, so no additional clover install. Shutdown the machine and swapped disks back and booted the 1TB disk but this time its a 500GB partition and it booted up! So nothing changed apart from the size of the partition - Clover itself was left exactly the same.

Any thoughts on this one as i dont know what else to try, i have manually set active partitions and everything else i can think of but no joy.

OK - i am totally confused now. As a test i booted into my El Cap intsall on the SAME machine, which sits on a single 2TB partition, and mounted the problematic disk in a USB SATA enclosure and resized the partition to 500GB and did NOTHING else, so no additional clover install. Shutdown the machine and swapped disks back and booted the 1TB disk but this time its a 500GB partition and it booted up! So nothing changed apart from the size of the partition - Clover itself was left exactly the same.

Any thoughts on this one as i dont know what else to try, i have manually set active partitions and everything else i can think of but no joy.

further testing.... 750GB partition boots up ok but I can't go any larger as 775GB as an example results in a boot fail. I have managed to catch a still image of what flashes past in an instant before it returns to the clover 'bios' menu. I have attached that. I think I will have to ask on a clover dev forum as this is just very strange. I have completely destroyed the partitions on the HDD by dd'ing onto it just in case there was something left over but same behaviour and that is if I boot a 'large' partition, i.e. in my case > 750GB then clover fails. I have even resized up and down with diskutil and its completely reproducible  and this is with the very latest clover version also.

post-841024-0-33682400-1475426188_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

seems someone on another forum experienced a similar issue which as it turns out is/was the same in that the HDD was a WD Green 1TB drive - All my other drives are WD Reds but this green is the one giving me grief. Oddly it used to work but what is different between a WD Red and Green - i thought it was just the head park timing really. I wonder if i should take this up with clover devs ?

• 1 month later...

So I went out and bought a new WD 2TB Blue drive as I though this was a Green issue but I get _exactly_ the same behaviour with this drive and I can replicate it at will

Boot partition > 750GB and no boot, Clover just gets to the 'Bios' type screen. Do nothing else but boot a recovery stick and resize the partition to < 750GB and it boots without issue!! How strange is this and what am I missing ....

I would note that the only options I am using in Clover installer are... 'Bootloader - Install boot0af in MBR' and 'CloverEFI - CloverEFI 64-bits SATA' 

​These are the only options I think I have ever used and if I put in a WD Red 2TB drive that I have El Capitan on it boots without issue so I know its not an issue with the machine I am using.