Dual Boot

drp412

9 posts in this topic

I have partitioned my HDD with El Capitan (500 gb) and macOS (500gb). Both are working great.

Before macOs install, my El Capitan was working great with dual screen and etc.. but as soon as I installed macOs on my other partition my clover is also changed. When I install new clover for macOs, it changed my El Capitan clover too. When I installed new clover I choose to install only on my macOs partition. My config.plist is also getting messed up with this. I want to keep each setting separate. How do I keep separate clover for each OS in single hdd? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,

There is only one boot loader so there's only one config.plist file.

Within the EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext folder there are subfolders for each OS type. E.g. "10.10" for Yosemite, "10.11" for El Capitan, etc

You put the OS specific kext into those folders (though there should not really be any differences). For Sierra just use "Other"

Do you have an EFI partition ?

Also, when you boot El Capitan, did reinstall Clover with the Script & Preference Pane options ticked ?

If, not you should as you need to install the scripts on both OS's.

There is only one boot loader so there's only one config.plist file.

Within the EFI/EFI/Clover/Kext folder there are subfolders for each OS type. E.g. "10.10" for Yosemite, "10.11" for El Capitan, etc

You put the OS specific kext into those folders (though there should not really be any differences). For Sierra just use "Other"

Do you have an EFI partition ?

Also, when you boot El Capitan, did reinstall Clover with the Script & Preference Pane options ticked ?

If, not you should as you need to install the scripts on both OS's.

Sounds good.

When I boot my computer I get clover screen where I can select the OS. So If I want to open El Capitan, I click on that and screen shows me apple logo with progress bar. Other than that I can not see anything like script install etc.. So as per your views, It uses one config.plist for bot OS.  Right?  Whatever I make changes to config.plist it will affects both then.

No you misunderstood me.

The scripts I mentioned are the ones that get installed at Clover Installation time. That is, you have to instal clover onto the OS you want to boot.

Boot El Capitan, run Clover Installer, choose El Capitan boot volume to instal on, click Customise and in the options list, make sure you select "Install all RC scripts on target volume" and "Install Clover Preference Pane". That will ensure clover scripts are installed on the El Capitan volume. E.g.:

post-658617-0-52175300-1475086208_thumb.png

Also, what configuration do want to be different between the two OS's ?

Did you change SMBIOS system definition type in the config.plist for example ?

Ok. That's good. I haven't checked that option. oh... I will do it. Do I have to reinstall or I can do it now by using clover? I am using 14.2 on macOs. I think (not sure) it change my El Capitan as well. I know Iw as using different SMBIOS for El Capitan.

Also, if you could help me with other issue. I have USB wifi stick having RTL 8812 chipset (Premiertek PT-8812AU) and the driver I am trying to copy from El Capitan and installed but it wont let me do it. I downloaded again from this website but still no luck. Do you have any help on this?

Thanks for your reply.

No need to re-install El Capitan or macOS. Just install clover on El Capitan.

If your SMBIOS was different on El Capitan, then that might explain some of the issues you are having now.

If your CPU is i7-4790K then you are probably better using iMac15,1 definition in your SMBIOS.

Use Clover Configurator app to help you generate the correct SMBIOS section of your config.plist.

There are guides on this forum for this. Search and read.

Regarding your wifi stick, not sure what you are copying from where to where.

You cannot simply copy KEXT's.

If you have a specific KEXT for your stick, then you should copy it in /Library/Extensions folder.

Then change permissions of that kext and rebuild kernel cache.

E.g.:

sudo cp /your-path-to/your-wifi.kext /library/extensions
sudo chown -R 0:0 /library/extensions/your-wifi.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /library/extensions/your-wifi.kext
sudo touch /library/extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

replace "/your-path-to" with your actual folder name and replace "your-wifi.kext" with the name of your kext.

Then reboot.

Ok. Thanks. I Re installed clover on El Capitan and macOs. But now I get kernel panic of nano second.

I can able boot with El capitan or macoS USB stick. But without usb disk I can't.

btw: How do I add file or image? I tried to add image but dont know how.

you may be loading some kexts from the EFI kext folder that's not behaving.

Check what's on your USB stick and compare to what you have on the EFI partition.

I don't understand your your question "How do I add file or image? I tried to add image but dont know how"

Now Everything working great.  Thanks for your help.

I have also installed separate clover on El Capitan and macOS but still have same issue. I also changed config.plist to relfecet the changes in each OS but still no luck. It still uses the El capitan config.pliast.