Bootloader and PCI-e USB 3 module

alexander5230

3 posts in this topic

Hi people!

In these days I'm trying to install macOS Sierra on my PC with also Windows installed.

My hardware isn't exactly brand new: Intel Core 2 Quad q8600, 7GB ram and nVidia GTS450 1GB on an Asus P5Q SE, so no UEFI avaible.

I'd like to install macOS on a 64GB Lexar USB 3 inserted in my USB 3 PCI-e x1 module, but my mobo doesn't see the device (incompatible bios?), I can see that only in Windows.

My idea is to install a boot loader (Chameleon? Clover?) on a USB 2 stick connected directly to the motherboard and from that boot the MacOS on the Lexar USB 3 or Windows from my HDD. Is that possible? Clover or Chameleon could see my PCI-e module?

Now, I was out of hackintosh scene for a while, I know that many things changed in these years, so sorry if I asked something obvious.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• 10 months later...

Hi people!

In these days I'm trying to install macOS Sierra on my PC with also Windows installed.

My hardware isn't exactly brand new: Intel Core 2 Quad q8600, 7GB ram and nVidia GTS450 1GB on an Asus P5Q SE, so no UEFI avaible.

I'd like to install macOS on a 64GB Lexar USB 3 inserted in my USB 3 PCI-e x1 module, but my mobo doesn't see the device (incompatible bios?), I can see that only in Windows.

My idea is to install a boot loader (Chameleon? Clover?) on a USB 2 stick connected directly to the motherboard and from that boot the MacOS on the Lexar USB 3 or Windows from my HDD. Is that possible? Clover or Chameleon could see my PCI-e module?

Now, I was out of hackintosh scene for a while, I know that many things changed in these years, so sorry if I asked something obvious.

Thank you in advance for your help!

There are people on the Win-raid.com site trying to the same thing but load windows off of the usb 3.0 port. Not sure how successful they have been but the main problem is finding the right efi driver for Clover to see the port.

• 2 weeks later...

do you have a computer with 2HDs? My laptop does. I added the 2nd with just OSX and kept my other HD for Windows. I made clover be the default partition to boot to and from there Clover sees all windows and osx patitions. I choose what I want to boot too.