Please Help with Install El Capitan Asus K53E Laptop

makk

31 posts in this topic

New to OS X on laptops.

I was able to install El Capitan from USB stick.  

I am interested in getting my system to work right.

After reading many pages, it seems the way to go is to have a proper DSDT.  

Don't know what I am doing because I don't understand so far, the Mac way.

Since I am new I'm not sure how to gain access to post in the El Capitan pre and post install forums.

But man I need help.

My system is an Asus K53E  Laptop Notebook

Windows 10 Updated to latest.

VMware running EL Capitan 10.11.6

Created a bootable USB using Techsviewer El Pwn.dmg and installed El Capitan onto Samsung SSD EVO 750 via USB port so it is not installed in the laptop.  External.

Intel icore 3 2 cores, 4 processors 2.1Ghz model 2310 SandyBridge 2nd Generation.

Intel HD3000 GFx

Intel Display HDA ? not sure what purpose this is good for

Realtek ALC269 HDA

Hitachi slow SataII 320GB HDD

Multi DVD

Atheros AR8151 Ethernet GIGABIT

Intel Centrino N-1030 Wifi

HM65 Intel Chipset  series 6/200

PS2 Keyboard 

USB 2.0 and 3.0 ? not sure which port is the 3.0

BIOS says UEFI boot but I believe this is for Windows.  I tried to boot the USB Installer which has both ways (I think) to boot -- Clover and Chameleon.  

The El Capitan is Version 10.11.0?  Very first one.

Since this laptop is old I found only one post in this forum and it is an SJ model with Nvidia graphics and no posts relating to install. 

Thank you kindly sirs for doing this stuff, it is really cool! 

Stu

Best bet now you have el cap installed is to download the latest el cap or sierra and create a new usb with clover.

Update bios and enable and or disable the recommended items.

Double check for uefi.

Start with the basics eg: getting osx installed and booting of the hard drive. Then work on power management, wifi, graphics, sound, usb etc.

Basic kexts needed for install will be fakesmc and more than likely voodoops2.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you mean this one http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-focaltech-and-synaptics-smart-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/ then yes that would work. It works on mine as well but take longer to activate when loading desktop.

Your Intel wifi will also never work so if your wanting wifi you will need to replace the card.

that's not cool. No wifi.  I'm not having much luck with these boot loaders.  Enoch latest version, Clover latest version.

Enoch at first would not install.  Then after I removed the USB installer, it installed.  But, after I installed a kext to get the hardware to work, kernel went unrecoverable... had to reinstall.  

I was able to boot with Enoch without USB installer.  Haven't been able to get the same result again.  Having to use the USB installer with Enoch to boot overtime.

I installed Clover  and when the PC gets to the Apple Logo, The screen splits into 4 desktops, mini desktops.  

Had for mini desktops.

Don't know why.

Then since I had to install the patched ApplePS2Controller to get the keyboard to work on install, it included a second Kext. These I assume are "patched"?  Not sure was in crazed mode, don't know how many times I had to reinstall.  

I assume about 12 times so far, four times in one day.  Crazy!

I used someone who has an ASUS K43D but his config is iCore 5 or 7, two graphics cards, different wifi that works! audio not sure, and 

I tried the similar and no luck with boot loaders.

The problem is I have this SSD drive on USB stand.  My main drive is internal Windows 10.  

I'm using USB stick to install and I see that this is messing with Bootloaders.

Well I'm still learning how to select the right ones in the Bootloader and it is way over my head.

Thanks for your advice.  Much appreciated.

Another piece of advice is to stick with one bootloader and learn how to make it work.

Clover is the most popular.

I've never installed on an external drive so I'm unsure if that would cause any issues.

Yes, I think it was not good to install using USB with internal drive as Windows.  Caused a mess.

Now the SSD is internal and UP and running.  

Installed Clover latest, had a problem.  

Been working on trying to switch to Apple's power management.  sleep mode.  No luck so far.

Using some AppleIntelInfo.kext have to use kextload and unload because will KP if boot with it.

Then downloaded Intel Power Gadget.

Installed HW monitor to see if the CPU speed and power is moving.  It does.

AppleLPC ?  and the others are loading.

Using SMBios.plist Macbook Pro 8.1 injected

FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, AHCIPortInjector, IOAHCIStorageBlockInjector, ApplePS2Controller + AppleACPIPS2Nub, AtherosL1cEthernet, so far.

I originally downloaded El Pwn from the net to make a bootable USB from Windows. 

I installed El Capitan in VMware. 

But in this laptop no audio no wifi and a few others.

Thanks again

Q:  What would cause Clover upon booting into the Desktop cause my Display output to have 4 mini desktops?

Nullcpu is not needed for laptops.

You need a script for help with power management "ssdtprgen" and place the SSDT.aml in the efi/clover/acpi/patched folder.

Are you using a patched dsdt?

Audio may require SSDT patches and or "applelpc" or use "applehda patcher"

WiFi as said will need to be replaced plenty of topics about that but I use a azurewave aw-ce123h for wifi and Bluetooth.

I'm not sure what would cause the 4 mini displays can you post a picture of it?

Hi ,  I tried to boot without Null and KP.  So It is necessary.

I'm using Enoch 2839 no Clover here.

I can easily replace the wifi chip. what works best?

I tried DSDT from Rehab man, but, I'm confused.  Where's a good tutorial?  

Right now no DSDT patch.

SMBios.plist using MacBook Pro 8.1.

CPU is 2nd Gen.  Sandybridge @ 2.1GHz.  

This pup is 5yrs old and still running.  

applelpc and applehda patcher?  which one?

I use Clover so i cannot speak for enoch, as for wifi i use the azurewave aw-ce123h for wifi and Bluetooth which works great with very little work. If you google laptop dsdt patch im sure you will find some good guides. For laptops DSDT and SSDT patching is a must for hardware to work correctly. AppleALC is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-%E2%80%94-dynamic-applehda-patching/and applehda patcher is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/496-applehda-patcher/ pick which one works best for you and your system.

• 1 month later...

I use Clover so i cannot speak for enoch, as for wifi i use the azurewave aw-ce123h for wifi and Bluetooth which works great with very little work. If you google laptop dsdt patch im sure you will find some good guides. For laptops DSDT and SSDT patching is a must for hardware to work correctly. AppleALC is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-%E2%80%94-dynamic-applehda-patching/and applehda patcher is here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/496-applehda-patcher/ pick which one works best for you and your system.

Thanks SavageAsus,

I switched to Clover as you suggested and am using AppleHDA patcher 1.6 which works well.  Had to edit the DSDT to accommodate

HDEF 030000. HDMI 01xxxx03 and wella sound!

What are you using for Backlight and FN keys?

I tried AsusBackLightPanel and AsusNBFNkeys but no luck.

The backlight upon boot doesn't keep selected gain.

The FNkeys don't work.

I assume that because I'm using HD3000 boot up glitch theres' a problem

and because this is keyboard is PS2 is causing a problem.

I am currently using Elantouch pad v 2 from Dinesh? which works with USB installer.

At first  I was using and older combination PS2Controller with the accompanying other kext but that quit working on boot with installer.

I was wondering if any one has very recent PS2 controller that isn't glitchy. something to fix this mouse scroller which lags and the FN+ keys to work right.

Have you any ?

Mak

If you mean display back light? I use rehabman's intelbacklight.kext plus dsdt patch.

Fn keys I am using Asusnbfnkeys plus dsdt patch and for keyboard and track pad I use appleps2smarttouchoad from dinesh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you mean display back light? I use rehabman's intelbacklight.kext plus dsdt patch.

Fn keys I am using Asusnbfnkeys plus dsdt patch and for keyboard and track pad I use appleps2smarttouchoad from dinesh.

Yes, to both.

I switched to Rehabmans, AppleBacklight.kext using his script to patch it. this works well.

I tried to use that Asusnbfnkeys but still not sure how to implement it in dsdt (which patch to use, quite confusing w/selections).

Just updated Clover to latest 3899.

I read the instructions to install Clover to ESP using boot0ess (instead of booting from UEFI) which requires RC scripts to be installed. 

Which could mean all the difference to restart, sleep, and shutdown.

In the Solaris world and HP-UX rc.initd scrips are necessary to boot sleep and initialize the system. tells the OS what to do when choosing.

Without a script, the OS doesn't know what to do.  so without shutdown script to speak to the bios won't shut off power. Won't sleep, can't restart.

can't do xxxx.

So, without proper scripting can't manipulate.

The os can boot and can restart but hangs on restart.  on shutdown can't power off.  Doesn't know the direction to take.

So lets hope by installing the rc scripts this works better.....

can better manipulate the machine.  aml works better when os knows what to do.

It' been many years about 10 since I quit playing with Unix.  So, little by little my memory is triggered, but forgot the commands to use just remembered that init scrips are necessary.  kinda lost here. feel stupid.

Yes, as far as the FN keys, what did you do to make them all work?  Do they all work on your laptop?

When I installed the Fnkeys kext. I only got dimmer button working.  No brightness button.  no audio up and down just, up. 

Which patch did you use to make it work?  

Thank you! 

Mak

I believe the DSDT patch i used was FnKeys as Function Keys Patch.txt or Fn Brightness Keys Patch.txt

I am not 100% sure :-/ 

I've attached my DSDT in case you can see which one i used.

HI Savage, again thank you!

I could not open your DSDT file.  too small.  34kb

could your resend?

Do you have Fix or ADD PNLF in your config.plist? << this is important

I just put the AsusNBFNkeys.kext into EFI/Clover/Kexts

and got FN keys to work but no (Brightness yet.). just Dimmer Key works.

On the display I get the popup for Dimmer and Audio mute, up and down.  the display blanker, mirroring works as well.  have to test wifi and sleep.

have to figure out what to edit to get the brightness to work.  so no patch just the script to patch from Rehabmans AppleBacklight.  which is cool

and as an added bonus his script creates a second kext, AppleBacklightInjector.kext which he says is update proof.  pretty cool if this works.

Mak

What are you opening the DSDT with? it opens fine for me with maciasl.

It is best to install the AsusNBFNKeys.kext to S/L/E with a kext utility.

I use the latest driver from HERE for keyboard etc..

So what is working and what isnt?

I'm using MacIASL

are you using the AppleSmartTouchpad kext?

did you put all these in SLE?  ApplePS2SmartTouchPad, AsusNBFnkeys

did you use the keyboard layout file?

Mak

What are you opening the DSDT with? it opens fine for me with maciasl.

It is best to install the AsusNBFNKeys.kext to S/L/E with a kext utility.

I use the latest driver from HERE for keyboard etc..

So what is working and what isnt?

Hi Savage,

Got FNkeys working.  Had to use the FNkeys as Function patch. But I used the wrong one.  there are three or four that I can see.

I ended up using the Optional one. but works.

Got Bright up and down toggle to work and audio works along with mute and F7 key.  

I only have wifi no bluetooth I replaced the Intel Centrino Wifi + Bluetooth with Atheros AR9280 Wifi only chip. 

F2 doesn't work because no Bluetooth?  

Haven't tried F1 because once this sleeps it don't wake up.   Still working on this one sleep and shutdown with power off.

Thanks for your input. it is nice to have a functioning keyboard.

The caps lock, have to hit it twice to turn on and off.  Strange.  this started with 4.6 of Elantouchpad.  do you have the same problem?

Mak

Once you have your Bluetooth sorted post a list of what is working and what isn't.

Hi Savage,

Got AsusNBFNkeys working.  bit of trial and error.

Funny thing, I patched the wifi bt led, plus tried both of the toggles to turn on and off via F2 Fn that's in the AsusDSDT patch bundle.

No bluetooth onboard.  So that's causing problem.  When I toggle F2+FN the led comes on but the wifi shuts off, backwards. when the led is off the wifi is on.

I had to use the optional FN keys in the bundle.  that worked.  

still no shutdown with power off have't figured this out yet.

do you have in your config.plist in Kernel and Kext Patches, KernelPm enabled?

I read in the forum this needs to be enabled after patching DSDT SSDT and checking AppleRTC and AsusAICP.

when I manually patched AICP and used a patched AppleRTC powered off.  But could not get a repeat.

strange.

Mak

Have you implemented power management with ssdtPRGen?

Yes i have KernelPM enabled as mine is Haswell.

I have attached my config.plist.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-11-05 at 10.05.06 am.png

Yes, I have but I have conflicting instructions.  

I'm trying different settings.

Right after I wrote the last post last night, "shutdown with power off worked."

But, today when I tried it again, the system did not power off.  was on long .... cycle system halts to a point.

the power button doesn't respond.

I attached my config.plist. I'm trying different settings while using bdmesg on every boot.  boot messages such as ADP1 already named cannot patch.  Airport already named cannot rename no need to patch... So I uncheck them.

HPET, Shutdown, PIC, etc.,.

I attached my DSDT as of midnight.

I set Darkwake to 8 and used Intel Shutdown patch in DSDT.  Had enable Shutdown Fix, PIC, ADP1 Airport Fix - config.plist

tried many suggestions as per slice, Allan, and the rest.  

I basically had no success using Asus patches.  Even with AsusNBFNkeys prior to 10.12.1.

I think it is the OS itself. Because in theory these patches should be working.

Clover is updated to latest 3899 as of yesterday.

Mak

post-1813065-0-91748100-1478311432_thumb.png

post-1813065-0-14229400-1478311446_thumb.png

post-1813065-0-95677200-1478311455_thumb.png

config.plist.zip

DSDT.aml.zip