Sierra killed the ECC Mac Pro! ... Or does someone have a solution?

elkos

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I am running a graphics workstation with the specs in my signature. With the MacPro3,1 system definition, AppleTyMCEDriver.kext loads fine and my ECC RAM works (which is the main point of having a Mac Pro). Now comes Sierra and it only accepts the MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1 profiles, which I get a kernel panic with. 

So here I have a couple of specific questions:

1. What exactly is the cause of kernel panics when using the new profiles with ECC RAM? I read somewhere that AppleSMCPDRC.kext does not support (or just does not list) the Xeon E3 RamController (pci8086,108). Is that the problem? Could a hack be to simply add the controller string?

2. Apple's decision to waive support for older Mac Pros in future MacOSes brings us to the conclusion that someone has to find a way for running hacks with MacPro6,1 in a stable manner. I would like to investigate in this direction but need some initial help, because I don't understand the mechanism how exactly the chosen system definition kicks in and governs the loading of kexts or other stuff. So could someone post a clear workflow of what happens and in which order for each system profile, or better yet, which file this "roadmap" resides in?

Thanks in advance

Well, it is not that simple, the real iMac14,2 does not have ECC RAM, so the driver AppleTyMCEDriver.kext does not get loaded. It kinda "works" but without the ECC support, which I need. There might be only two possible solutions:

1) I find the cause of the kernel panic when using MacPro5,1 or MacPro6,1 and fix it (please help here:, have no idea how to trace it)

2) Someone finds a way to "convince" Sierra to run on MacPro3,1 :)

Anybody?