Is there real documentation for clover

haegar33

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

being the most important tool for a Hackintosh I am surprised how sparse and scattered the information is about Clover. You got to dig into a (not up to date) wikis, threads with 1400 entries, confusion about keywords and parameters which are introduced (or abandoned) but hardly nowhere documented etc...

I am using Clover now for 2 years and I am still not sure about the basic principles:

- when I do have several boot disks which clover config is actually used? Sometimes I have the impression I am selected HD 1 for boot but config.plist from HD 2 is used....??

- Specifying the default boot HD in (any) config.plist seems never to be obeyed. The default Boot HD seems to be randomly selected..?

- manual overwriting of parameter settings seems to work. Although again I wonder which config.plist is actually presented in the Clover menu to be modified? The one from the last boot? the one from a default boot...?

Finding the proper configuration is hard enough for a certain hardware and Clover is excellent for trying different boot configs. Please could someone point me to a good documentation site so I and all user can use this tool more efficiently?

Thanks, Haegar

Welcome!

The official full documentation for Clover can be found in the wiki: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org

It's currently offline but google cache has the pages you need in the meantime. Until it gets fixed (which it really needs to be; Sierra was just released), here's the solutions for your issues.

- when I do have several boot disks which clover config is actually used? Sometimes I have the impression I am selected HD 1 for boot but config.plist from HD 2 is used....??

The config.plist on that specific boot disk/Clover installation is used. For example if you have a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, both with Clover on it, and you boot from the SSD, the config.plist on the SSD is loaded.

- Specifying the default boot HD in (any) config.plist seems never to be obeyed. The default Boot HD seems to be randomly selected..?

Root -> Boot -> DefaultVolume parameter is used to manually set the default boot partition. It can be the volume name (e.g. Macintosh HD), the GUID of the volume, the device path shown in Clover (e.g. HD(1,GPT...) ), or LastBootedVolume.

- manual overwriting of parameter settings seems to work.

I'm not sure what you mean: entering config.plist configurations from Clover itself (available under Options) or manually selecting the boot option. When you do change configurations from Clover, it is temporary and will be erased on the next boot up.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, there's a lot of people here that'd be happy to help.

• Like 1

Thanks, that was already good information. I am aware of the Wiki, its a good starting point but it appears not be updated with each new Clover release. For example a parameter like rootless=0 is not explained.

For the multi boot disk question the confusion might arise from the parameters which control the kext patching (or not). I am sometimes not sure whether my kext was now patched properly or not. It should also be documented that you can always review the boot log with 'sudo /sbin/dmesg' so people don't need a screenshot from a "verbose" boot screen.

with manual overwrite I mean the "Options" menu in clover. It is clear that this is temporary. But again, with a multi boot disk setup (in my case 3 different EFI partitions all with Clover) there must be "default read" of one of these config.plist files just to present the Clover GUI.

I might do a simple test by choosing three different GUI themes in all the different config.plist files. Then I now exactly which one has been chosen to present me the GUI selection screen.. 

I have no touched the BIOS settings for a long time (always set to my "working" SSD with OS X 10.10). However since I fiddle with a test installation of 10.11 on HD2 this disk often, not always, becomes the default boot disks. And yes indeed, Clover seems to follow the BIOS boot order settings.

this appears to overrule all boot settings inside clover config.plist:

• specifying a disk name for DefaultVolume has never an effect
  • setting DefaultVolume to "LastBootedVolume" works sometimes, specially when the PVRAM value has been set (OS X PrefPane "Startup Volume")