macOS Sierra available to download.

Allan

57 posts in this topic

I am trying to install it on my Lenovo Thinkpad L420 , but I face the Still waiting for root device error. Mavericks works flawlessly so I really dont know why it happens. After the error appears, all letters go garbled and I get a prohibited sign. It complains about this before the error:

Method parse/execution failed [_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT1._STA] Node ffffff000006 

It is very strange... I have tried with 3rd party SATA, INtelAHCI, TotallyFixStillWaiting kexts and nothing has worked, I tried -f UseKernelCache=No, npci=0x2000 npci=0x3000, cpus=1 dart=0...

Practically everything together and separately.. IDk what to do anymore guys..

I am trying to install it on my Lenovo Thinkpad L420 , but I face the Still waiting for root device error.

Hi,

Is your laptop comes with HD 3000 graphics?

I am also looking into the possibility for installing Sierra on my modded Acer Aspire.

I flashed it with mod BIOS, swapped CPU from Celeron to core i5 (with HD 3000 graphics) and bumped RAM to 16GB.

I call it a "sleeper" Ultrabook  :P

I have not tried it myself yet, but this article might give you some hint:

https://techsviewer.com/install-intel-hd-graphics-3000-4400-4600-on-el-capitan-with-full-qeci/

Hi,

Is your laptop comes with HD3000 graphics?

I am also looking into the possibility for installing Sierr on my modded Acer Aspire.

I flashed it with mod BIOS, swapped CPU from Celeron to core i5 (with HD3000 graphics) and bumped RAM to 16GB.

I call it a "sleeper" Ultrabook  :P

I have not rried it myself yet, but this article might give you some hint:

https://techsviewer.com/install-intel-hd-graphics-3000-4400-4600-on-el-capitan-with-full-qeci/

As you can see in the updated signature it is intel HD 3000

Same happens with those kexts

Edited by kosakgroove

As you can see in the updated signature it is intel HD 3000

Same happens with those kexts

Thanks for trying it out :).

Currently I am running El Cap in VMware (Linux host) on this mod Acer.

Everything is working except for some graphical glitches. I just got a freeling that running a Hack with HD 3000 is not so easy.

Core 2 Duo has not sse4 instruction so Sierra cannot be installed on it.

My MacBook 6.1 2009 core2Duo has had it since Beta 2 the key difference between it and my 2009 mid-early is the ddr2 vs. ddr3 ram.    The model quoted has the ddr2 ram a no go.    I'm running the latest Sierra 12.1 -2.1 which is the second beta update since the public release of Sierra.    AMD graphics kexts are improving and stable acceleration of RX 480 cards is coming to the masses soon.

post-1753549-0-78969700-1475013838_thumb.png

I also have a Pentium G3258 Haswell build running RX 470 and a AMD 5450 as integrated  graphics function.   This allows BIOS settings to be Pcie as primary display.

post-1753549-0-65643500-1475016145_thumb.png

• Like 1

Core 2 Duo has not sse4 instruction so Sierra cannot be installed on it.

My MacBook 6.1 2009 core2Duo has had it since Beta 2 the key difference between it and my 2009 mid-early is the ddr2 vs. ddr3 ram.    The model quoted has the ddr2 ram a no go.    I'm running the latest Sierra 12.1 -2.1 which is the second beta update since the public release of Sierra.    AMD graphics kexts are improving and stable acceleration of RX 480 cards is coming to the masses soon.

attachicon.gifMACbook.png

Thanks for posting this.

I am supposed to update my mother-in-low's MacBook - excatly the same model you have.

It is nice to have a confirmation that it will work. I am sure granny will be thrilled to meet with Siri ;)

• Like 1

Now I have 2 RX cards going in a IGFX Crossfire arrangement.   look at these Luxmark scores, for rendering graphics this is great a doubling of capacity?

Slightly higher Uningine Benchmarks as well.

post-1753549-0-70213500-1475122003_thumb.pngpost-1753549-0-58405900-1475122043_thumb.png.  

This is great news for Graphics crunchers using OS Sierra.    This is a 2x increase over a respectable score to begin with.

This is on a Haswell pentium G3258 with 8gb 1600mhz ram in IGPU as primary display output.    

Now I have 2 RX cards going in a IGFX Crossfire arrangement.   look at these Luxmark scores, for rendering graphics this is great a doubling of capacity?

Slightly higher Uningine Benchmarks as well.

attachicon.gifRX 480 luxmark.pngattachicon.gifRX 2x 470, 480.png.  

This is great news for Graphics crunchers using OS Sierra.    This is a 2x increase over a respectable score to begin with.

This is on a Haswell pentium G3258 with 8gb 1600mhz ram in IGPU as primary display output.    

So I see there is no sense  upgrade to RX from 290x 

post-916820-0-39016500-1475145548_thumb.png

• Like 1

MacBook6,1 were fitted with Penryn C2D CPUs, i.e. the mobile C2D generation in which Intel introduced SSE4 instructions. For laptops, it's pre-Penryn families like Merom (e.g. T7xxx) that are a no-go for Sierra. FSB800/FSB1066 CPUs such as T6xxx, T8xxx, T9xxx or P7xxx, P8xxx, P9xxx and other cousins are all Ok.

Same principle for desktop models: all Ok from Wolfdale generation (e.g. C2D E7xxx/E8xxx with FSB1066/1333 or Pentium E5xxx/E6xxx with FSB800/1066).

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/macos-sierra-faq/macos-sierra-1012-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html

MacBook6,1 is compatible with Sierra.

It has a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (P7550) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#.22Penryn.22.2C_.22Penryn-3M.22_.28medium-voltage.2C_45_nm.29

"Penryn", "Penryn-3M" (medium-voltage, 45 nm) 

All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1

My understanding is that SSE4.1 is the prerequisite for Sierra.
  • Like 1

So I see there is no sense  upgrade to RX from 290x 

Power consumption?    Nice Benchmark BTW!

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/macos-sierra-faq/macos-sierra-1012-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html

MacBook6,1 is compatible with Sierra.

It has a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (P7550) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#.22Penryn.22.2C_.22Penryn-3M.22_.28medium-voltage.2C_45_nm.29

"Penryn", "Penryn-3M" (medium-voltage, 45 nm) 

All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1

My understanding is that SSE4.1 is the prerequisite for Sierra.

I was able to load El Capitan on the DDR2 model early 2009 C2Duo, but it would not download the Sierra Beta.app.    My DDR3 model mid/late 2009 was able to download Sierra.   It may be possible to trick sierra into the DDR2 model but I haven't tried or heard of it being done.   

I was able to load El Capitan on the DDR2 model early 2009 C2Duo, but it would not download the Sierra Beta.app.    My DDR3 model mid/late 2009 was able to download Sierra.   It may be possible to trick sierra into the DDR2 model but I haven't tried or heard of it being done.   

Mine is "Late" 2009 model.  

I think that is the cut-off lne.

Apparently it is possible to install Sierra on "some'" unsupported Mac.

You can use something called Sierra Patch tool.

It can be found in sites such as this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/install-macos-sierra-older-macs

or this:

http://lowendmac.com/2016/macos-sierra/

I have not tried it myself, as the only Mac I can access is Sierra supported one.

I am trying to install it on my Lenovo Thinkpad L420 , but I face the Still waiting for root device error. Mavericks works flawlessly so I really dont know why it happens. After the error appears, all letters go garbled and I get a prohibited sign. It complains about this before the error:

Method parse/execution failed [_SB.PCI0.SAT0.PRT1._STA] Node ffffff000006 

It is very strange... I have tried with 3rd party SATA, INtelAHCI, TotallyFixStillWaiting kexts and nothing has worked, I tried -f UseKernelCache=No, npci=0x2000 npci=0x3000, cpus=1 dart=0...

Practically everything together and separately.. IDk what to do anymore guys..

Are you using Clover and OSIOAptioFIX2?     I had similar problem and used OsioAptiofix(1) the original for 64efi drivers selection.    Be sure to remove version 2 if you add the first, they are not compatible together.

I managed to get it installed, the problem was in USB code in DSDT being non apple friendly and since el capitan it wouldn't boot from USB, so with upgrade from Mavericks to Sierra it worked beautiful :D

I also upgraded my ASUS X550LD with a BCM94352HMB to Sierra, but the bluetooth doesn't work anymore, not even with BRCMPatchRam2 and Firmware Repo..

But all in all it is ok :D I am liking the change from Mavericks to Sierra

post-1517295-0-48369000-1475186466_thumb.png

I just did a clean installation of Sierrra on unlocked VMWare Player.

It was very easy. In fact, the most time consuming part was creating iso format file from installer downloaded from the App Store ;).

I have not done extensive testing yet. But on the surface everythins seems to be working.

The curious thing is that the system disk is shown on the desktop as external disc with orange colour icon.

I wonder if anyone eles experienced this phenomenon.

post-1279750-0-08968500-1475234034_thumb.png

Sierra on VMware gives you a incredible number of memory slots  :hysterical:

Thsi is what it looks like after the fresh installation.

Your Mac contains 128 memory slots...

How much terabyte (or petabyte?) it can take?

Oh well, it is all "virtual" ;)

post-1279750-0-98022500-1475255084_thumb.png

• Like 1

I am currently using ApplePS2SmartTouchpad kext , and it doesnt work well upon boot.

I replaced the sierra trackpad prefpane with a patched one from sierra itself.

post-1517295-0-67716500-1475256397_thumb.png

Trackpad works more or less upon boot, but will work perfectly if I do:

1- Check and uncheck "Clicking" and "Dragging"

2- Check use two fingers to scroll and check Allow Horizontal scrolling.

Is there anybody that could write an AppleScript to do this upon login or something....

I am not skilled enough as a programmer.

Worked hard and learned enough to get the job done..

Now after putting my app on auto start, touchpad works perfect upon boot and upon login  :drool:

post-1517295-0-39282500-1475345807_thumb.png

I could not be happier

:drool:

If anyone is interested send me a message or help me submit the app to the download part of this forum hehehe

• Like 2

Worked hard and learned enough to get the job done..

Now after putting my app on auto start, touchpad works perfect upon boot and upon login  :drool:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-10-01 at 19.16.33.png

I could not be happier

:drool:

If anyone is interested send me a message or help me submit the app to the download part of this forum hehehe

I think there is a trackpad setting reset script in the Lenovo Y510P guide. That was what you are talking about ?

This is what I wrote so that the preferences stay the way I want and that make the trackpad work perfect:

tell application "System Preferences"
	reveal pane id "com.apple.preference.trackpad"
	tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
		tell group 1 of window "Trackpad"
			click checkbox "Clicking"
			click checkbox "Dragging"
		end tell
		tell group 2 of window "Trackpad"
			click checkbox "Use two fingers to scroll"
			click checkbox "Allow horizontal scrolling"
		end tell
	end tell
	quit
end tell 

It took me a while to understand AppleScript language, but now I got it :D

If anyone wants the compiled app:

TPHelper.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I wrote so that the preferences stay the way I want and that make the trackpad work perfect:

tell application "System Preferences"
	reveal pane id "com.apple.preference.trackpad"
	tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
		tell group 1 of window "Trackpad"
		end tell
		tell group 2 of window "Trackpad"
			click checkbox "Use two fingers to scroll"
			click checkbox "Allow horizontal scrolling"
		end tell
	end tell
	quit
end tell 

It took me a while to understand AppleScript language, but now I got it :D

If anyone wants the compiled app:

attachicon.gifTPHelper.zip

Thanks, but for some reason, it doesnt work, gives me System Events got an error: 

System Events got an error: Can’t get group 1 of window "Trackpad" of process "System Preferences". Invalid index.