Gigabyte X79-UP4 macOS Sierra (SUCCESS)

JD Apolo

97 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to get the USB3 ports to work on this setup?  I've managed to get everything else to work on 10.12.1...I've read that there are updated 7/8/9 usbdrivers?  Anyone have a link? I didn't see one on this post. 

Thanks Guys! Really happy with my update so far.  Did an inline upgrade from the app store from yosemite!  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Took me about a whole day to figure this out but I finally got macOS Sierra (latest GM release) working for my board. Here are the specs of my Hackintosh.

Mobo: Gigabye X79-UP4

Proc: i7-3930K

Mem: 4x8GB 1866Mhz Corsair

Video: NVIDIA GTX 680

SSD: Mac

Here's my EFI (change them to just EFI and put at your EFI partition):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29phqy7eu4onpqh/EFI%20%28for%20macOS%20Sierra%29.zip?dl=0

For Audio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq1ce8dhkecnvox/audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvk89cddwe58c3h/AAAqdic9IrzXSBGKbFUvuM_ba?dl=0

Instructions:

1. Burn macOS Sierra your usual way. Put this EFI folder to your EFI installer partition. Upon installation bootup, change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1 until installation completes etc.

2. When you first get to your desktop (still with nv_disable=1), run the AGDPFix program to get full resolution for your NVIDIA card. (If after booting, the screen is black, hard restart then make sure to change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1)

3. To enable audio, mount your EFI partition then drag the audio_clover file to Terminal. Reboot and everything should work now. Congratulations! :)

Everything works (USB3, SATA, Audio, Video, etc) (Sleep I'm not really sure as I seldom leave my Hack on when not in use)

I hope this could help some people to save you guys time and energy from figuring it out. Cheers! :)

Have you still got the files ???

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've just finished to install it and wowwwww! It works! At this moment the only thing that doesn't work is audio and Usb 3.0

I have to try to solve the audio first and later we will see....

My config:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)

MotherBoard:GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F7

Graphics: Ati Amd 7970 Dual-X (3GB)

Ram: Crucial Ballistix Elite 64 Gb

SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb

HD: Seagate 3 tb 7200 rpm

Power: Corsair HX 1000 Watt Modular

Apple wireless keyboard, Touchpad, IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 usb micro, TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter.

Clover: 3979

SMBIOS: MacPro6,1

Can you post your EFI please?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys..

need help on my Sierra 10.12.6 fresh installation.

I have almost the same setup as JD except for the processor and others

Mobo: Gigabye X79-UP4 F5

Proc: i7-4930K

Video: NVIDIA GTX 680

HDD: Seagate 500gb Barracuda 7200

I used JD's clover settings but the system halts somewhere in the beginning.

I uploaded an image of where it is halting. 

By the way I previously have a mavericks installed on this same setup.

Can anyone please help me fix my problem?

Update

I already got it to install. I didn't changed the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1. I thought i did because i ticked it in the clover configurator. but it should be changed in the options tab to work. so i tried it and.. wallah.. it worked..

Update 2

Sierra is already installed and running. But nothing is working except for the usb slot in the front panel. I did not copy the full efi folder from JD's download file. I only copied the configlist file and the kext folder from JD's clover folder. Might that be the reason why nothing is working?

Thank you for your advice #JD and #mald0n for the "use latest version of clover" tip.

You guys made my life easier. 

I hope everything works.

Cheers! 

post-2200187-0-89729400-1501364503_thumb.jpg

post-2200187-0-15602100-1501364528_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys..

I already installed sierra in my setup. Everything is up and running. 
The only problem is i am having the flickering or i think they call it display tearing. 
And i only have one display resolution to choose from on the display settings, which is 1024x768. 
But my monitor has 2560x1080 optimum resolution. What could be the reason for this.

I installed OSX Sierra 10.12.6 with the latest nvidia web driver plus the Cuda package.

What should i do to fix those display problems.
And also i can't boot without the USB installer drive. 
What should i do so i can remove the USB installer drive already..

Thanks in advance..

Update

Everything's working great now. The reason was i forgot to remove the nv_disable=1 and replace it with nvda_drv=1 in the clover config.plist.

Now everything is fine. This thread is really informative and it works.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

First of all, Thank you so much for posting and sharing all you guys really useful information here. 

But I have problem with USB 3.0, Can't get them working for somehow. I installed FakePCIID.kext, FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and USBinjectAll.kext, still no luck.

Can you guys please help and give me advises on this? Do I need to change BIOS setting or something? I enabled USB 3.0 controller and Ports from BIOS already. 

Here is the specs:

CPU: E5 2670

MOBO: X79-UD4 (Latest BIOS)

Graphics: R9 270X 2G

SSD: 1TB 2.5" 

Much appreciated if someone can help me with this.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Not much in OSX86 will kill your parts instantly but there are things here that will over time. Also please get Clover Configurator and use the GUI, it's much easier and I see all these people stumbling over editing their config.plist in text edit... painful.

FakePCIID.kextFakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and USBinjectAll.kext altogether with no DSDT edits will damage the devices you plug into your ports if they do large transfers because together they mangle the data sent. You need to create a DSDT patch listing the amount of devices on the buses and ports and get rid of USBInjectAll. This is not my recommendation, it's on the download page of the kexts. 

Everyone having issues with kernel panics caused by AppleIntelCPUPM need to read this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312859-sandy-bridge-e-ivy-bridge-e-power-management-1012-beta/ and create an SSDT for their CPU model and stock/turbo clocks. After that, you will need to enable DTGP patch and HPET patch, then AICPUPM patch in clover. 

And you DO need to do a lot of the things that seem optional here, because this is not an easy mode board. Take it from me who has run this since 10.7, RMA'd twice over damage and even bought another up4 two years ago. Using VoodooTSCSync/NullCPUPM without a working SSDT over time damages your processor and you will get a CPU self-check failure after a while stopping you from booting any OS because it's a hacky solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends, here I am after a long time.

Nowadays I have replaced my x79-up4, now I have an ASUS X79 Deluxe. Everything seems to work fine with Apolo's files but I have some doubts.

1. I have made some overclock to this old cpu, I have changed the multiplier (44) and the cpu voltaje 1.28 (more o less, I have to do some tests). So the cpu is working at 4.4 ghz. Here with the nullcpupowermanagement.kext on clover nothing happened, the same result test as 3.4 ghz. Geekbench score 20.006.

However, if we take the nullcpupowermanagement.kext off from clover the score is increased until 26.000 but "about my mac" is showing 3.4 ghz.

My cuestion is: how can i change the information in "about my mac" to show the real ghz (4,4 ghz)?? And other cuestion is: doing this (take the nullcpupower.... off clover), affect to the cpu?

2. The usb 3.0. It is a big problem for me not to get it work. How can we do it work?? Is a Bios problem, a kext, clover....?

3. Bluetooth and WIFI integrated on this motherboard. Will they work??

Thanks in advanced.

My config:

Intel i7 4930k 3.4 ghz running overclocked at 4.4 ghz

Asus X79 Deluxe

64 gb ram 2400 mhz

2 x MSI RX 580 X+

Samsung Pcie 960 PRO 1 Tb

Samsung 950 Pro SSD 1 TB

3 TB seagate 7200 rpm

Hello all,

I have still not been able to get Sierra running reliably on my Hackintosh.

I have the same setup as JD Apolo, except my video card is a GTX780, other than that, same CPU, same motherboard, etc.

I currently have Sierra installed, but when it is running, the system is slow (especially finder tasks like moving a folder etc may take minutes to complete) and there is a constant 100%-200% cpu usage by kernel_task.

I have tried all the clover folders that have been uploaded here, and each result in different things (Maldons breaks USB, but video works great)  but all still result in the same Slow finder and CPU kernel_task usage.

I have Yosemite installed and working very well, but I can no longer update several apps that I use and need to update.

I'm not very well versed in how to diagnose this problem - would anyone be willing to help me figure this out? I have the IOREG from both the working Yosemite and the Sierra installs but do not know what I'm looking at. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE

I Started over with a clean install, and it is now working better. My kernel_task problem had to be something is the OS install, because now it is gone, and at the moment Sierra seems to be running smoothly. 

I do not have USB 3 working, as I have noticed others in this thread have also had problems with, and while the on-board audio works, audio being sent to my USB interface (which is use much more frequently) is distorted and broken.

I would greatly appreciate any help getting USB 3 and my audio fixed.

UPDATE 2 -

Tried installing VoodooHDA to see if that would fix my USB audio interface problem. It did not. Audio plays fine through my USB interface for about 55 seconds, then begins to distort and deteriorate, eventually to nothing. Switching to a different output then back to my USB interface makes it work again, for another 55 seconds, then it starts crapping out again.

UPDATE 3

My runaway kernel_task is back in my clean install. I don't know what screwed it up, but after the VoodooHDA experiment, then trying to undo it I now have a completely unresponsive finder (moving an item to the trash takes longer than a minute) and a kernel_task that as I type this is at 149%. I felt like I was SOOO close, now I'm back to unusable again. Sigh.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

1. I have made some overclock to this old cpu, I have changed the multiplier (44) and the cpu voltaje 1.28 (more o less, I have to do some tests). So the cpu is working at 4.4 ghz. Here with the nullcpupowermanagement.kext on clover nothing happened, the same result test as 3.4 ghz. Geekbench score 20.006.

However, if we take the nullcpupowermanagement.kext off from clover the score is increased until 26.000 but "about my mac" is showing 3.4 ghz.

My cuestion is: how can i change the information in "about my mac" to show the real ghz (4,4 ghz)?? And other cuestion is: doing this (take the nullcpupower.... off clover), affect to the cpu?

2. The usb 3.0. It is a big problem for me not to get it work. How can we do it work?? Is a Bios problem, a kext, clover....?

3. Bluetooth and WIFI integrated on this motherboard. Will they work??

You've probably worked it out already but that really deserves it's own thread as it's based around a different system and may confuse people looking for solutions to the gigabyte board.

For the record.

1. Applies to all boards. You need a new SSDT with the new clocks applied. Use the SSDTPRGen script from Pike R Alpha. Your BIOS settings are basically ignored because Clover is acting as your BIOS like VMWare would be to a VM, and it reads your CPU data from the SSDT file as your BIOS would. It does not however apply overclocks on most machines. NullCPUPM literally stands for Nullify CPU Power Management, so I recommend you don't ever try overclocking whilst using it. Get Clover Configurator and you can set the CPU Clock there that will be shown in "About my Mac". Bear in mind OS X cannot run on any processor at over 4.7 Ghz... software limitation.

2. Google the chipset.

3. Almost certainly not. Google the device IDs. If they share the same one then 99.9% no as they are a combo chip and Apple don't use them or support the concept.

UPDATE

I Started over with a clean install, and it is now working better. My kernel_task problem had to be something is the OS install, because now it is gone, and at the moment Sierra seems to be running smoothly. 

I do not have USB 3 working, as I have noticed others in this thread have also had problems with, and while the on-board audio works, audio being sent to my USB interface (which is use much more frequently) is distorted and broken.

I would greatly appreciate any help getting USB 3 and my audio fixed.

UPDATE 2 -

Tried installing VoodooHDA to see if that would fix my USB audio interface problem. It did not. Audio plays fine through my USB interface for about 55 seconds, then begins to distort and deteriorate, eventually to nothing. Switching to a different output then back to my USB interface makes it work again, for another 55 seconds, then it starts crapping out again.

UPDATE 3

My runaway kernel_task is back in my clean install. I don't know what screwed it up, but after the VoodooHDA experiment, then trying to undo it I now have a completely unresponsive finder (moving an item to the trash takes longer than a minute) and a kernel_task that as I type this is at 149%. I felt like I was SOOO close, now I'm back to unusable again. Sigh.

Thanks

Do not install VoodooHDA, use AppleALC892 assuming you have a ga-up4. Do not use the machine until it's finished indexing after first install, and make sure you NEVER shutdown via the power button. You seem to be experiencing things that point to a dodgy hard drive so if you have the time do a secure erase on your next install and make sure there's no bad blocks fudging things up.

Usb 3.0 is going to be an eternal issue for X79 boards, very few people get it to work and the greater majority do not ever get USB 3 to work. At the time X79 came out I don't think Apple had any macbooks or anything with USB 3 ports in them. The BEST solution is to buy a PCI-e USB 3 Card with a chipset that is supported by macOS, install it load, the drivers and voila you will have USB 3. This has been the easiest solution for most people.

I can say the same thing for wiFi, just buy a USB  wifi dongle that  comes with macOS drivers, install and voila WIFI.

USB 3.0 works fine on this board, with the Fresco FL1009 USB 3.0 Device ID Patch:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311512-clover-efi-bootloader-understanding-kextstopatch-how-to-guide/

RampageDev also has a .kext that works, over on his site. 

Thanks timta2 I have tried so many things but not that one. Will try that solution and report if I get it working.

Hi!
1/ Does it work with HIGH Sierra?

2/ Dropboks's files for AUDIO was deleted. 

Does anyone have this?

3/ hmmmm... In the config I see the line

<key>Name</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

... but there is no DSDT.aml in the EFI folder. If DSDT is injected from the BIOS, then why are there no patches?

And if you use patched DSDT, then where is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally had some success!

I downloaded the latest Clover and re-installed it, and now I'm able to boot into Sierra without the runaway kernel task.

I have some other weirdness tho.

The worst is that my USB audio interface (Behringer X32) degrades rapidly after about 2 minutes. Starts out sounding fine, but then degrades to the point of just being staticy pops and clicks. After running the audio_RealtekALC patch my built in audio works, but the sound control panel is now in Spanish for some reason.

My USB 3 does not work. Neither the built in ports or the PCI USB3 /C card that I have. Both are just seen as USB2.

Siri cannot connect to the internet. 

And the last weird thing. that is happening, is that the finder thinks there is a blank DVD in the DVD burner, but there is No disk in the drive.

Most of this I can live with for now, but I really need to get my USB audio working, and USB3 working as well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Greetings, don't know if any1 has attempted the posted EFI with High Sierra, but I'm attempting to do a USB installation of 10.13.6 and I'm getting mach reboot immediately. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:27 PM, ssprod said:

Greetings, don't know if any1 has attempted the posted EFI with High Sierra, but I'm attempting to do a USB installation of 10.13.6 and I'm getting mach reboot immediately. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. 

Hey dude are your speaking about the X79 UP4 ?
Because i am searching also an EFI for 10.13.6 for X79 UP4, i have with it a 3930k and 1080ti