Gigabyte X79-UP4 macOS Sierra (SUCCESS)

JD Apolo

97 posts in this topic

I would be grateful if you can upload the EFI files!

Gonna try on i7 3820, same motherboard.

Here you go, let us know how it goes for you. This is the original EFI posted by JD Apolo in Post #1

Update: JD Apolo resposted his original download which got deleted here is the new link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgxsdi87ra975i4/X79-UP4%20Files.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

Thanks A lot! With this EFI file it was the only way I found to make my system boot, install and run!

The only problem I got is the USB ports. My Bluetooth IOGear dongle keeps disconnecting and my USB 3 never worked. Any Idea what might be wrong?

System:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)
MotherBoard:GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F5
Graphics: GeForce GTX 780 (3GB)
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport LP (8gb to start)
HD: SSD 840 EVO 256gb
Power: Corsair HX 750 Watt Modular

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R
Apple wireless keyboard, Magic mouse, IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 usb micro, TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter.

Clover: 3961

SMBIOS: MacPro6,1

Thank you all very much

• Like 1

Just a heads up for everyone, while this works perfectly for Sierra 10.12.1 installer, the latest 10.12.2 of Sierra installer breaks this completely.

Apple has made modifications to SIP in 10.12.2 and several attempts and cannot boot into 10.12.2 at all, it has to do with the kernel caches or something being unable to be rebuilt or something. I've given up on 10.12.2 for now and reverting to my 10.12.1 installer and will then see if the Combo Update works rather ???

If anyone has tried 10.12.2 and found a workaround let us know. The failure messages before it reaches MACH Reboot are

KerneCache ID: 0603D9DCCCFCDFE2C8891E8A358317F3
symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel","/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPreLinkedKernel 2795>
kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot
Kext loading now disabled
Kext unloading now disabled
Kext autounloading now disabled
Kernel requests now disabled
syncing disks .... Killing all processes.

This all happens just after it tries to load the ALF.kext driver

Hi just updated to 10.12.2 without problems just had to repatch the AGDPFix, but I need to have sound and the links provided for dropbox is no longer active can someone help here?

The audio script in post #1 is outdated anyway. Use the latest one from Toleda here worked fine for me but need to make sure sometimes that previous kexts are removed so it can install the new one's but I think his script automatically updates them anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on re-patching AGDPFix am about to test an update to 10.12.2 using the Combo update

• Like 1

Awesome :drool:  thanks for posting this, this really got my board up and running perfectly, especially the sound issue which now shows all output interfaces and they work.

Having your EFI to use and the audio script were the savior of the day as no other audio solutions were working. What's best about this is not even having to run ##### after the install, simply using Clover Boot ... it's like magic and probably as Vanilla as one can get !!!!

I have not tested all my USB 3.0 ports but did plug a USB stick into one of the back USB 3.0 ports this morning and it was recognized but then plugged it into the port right next to it and it was not recognized. Also USB 3.0 does not show in the System Profiler it only shows the USB2.0 bus even though the USB stick did mount and was accessible in Finder. Will test this a bit more. I'll leave it plugged it and see if it shows after a reboot.

Sound is crystal clear, processor identified as a Xeon but works perfectly except no SpeedStepping, that is still something I am trying to get working properly. It just stays running at 3300 Mhz and never fluctuates between it's base of 3300 MHz and it's Peak of 3900 MHz. Other than that the voltages of the CPU are fluctuating correctly when applications are run must just figure out why Speedstepping is not kicking in.

Any ideas on getting Speedstepping working ? I know it has something to do with the P-states and C-States.

My specs:

Asus Sabertooth X79 with Bios 4801

Intel Core i7-3960X (3300 > 3900 Mhz)

Corsair 1600 Mhz DDR3 4 Gb x 8 (32Gb)

MSI Twin Frozr II Nvidia GPU

OSX Sierra 10.12.1

Nvidia Web Driver (WebDriver-367.15.10.15f03)

Nvidia Cuda Driver (cudadriver-8.0.51-macos)

Thanks again for this truly simple solution to getting an X79 board working  :thanks_speechbubble:

Update:  I have tried many things this morning including going through step-by-step of this tutorial by Shiloh and still can not get Speedstep working for love or money. I think something has changed with OS X sierra and speedstepping. Have generated an SSDT.aml using his ssdtPRGen.sh but still nada and played with various settings in clover but it will just not generate P-States. I have however used the Asus OC Tuner and safely overclocked the cpu to 4.17 Ghz and the Geekbench score has improved drastically so I guess I will just run with this overclocked config for now and forget about speed stepping and all that until Sierra has aged a bit more and more people have played with it. I know I am probably missing something somewhere just do not know what to do anymore to get that working and my eyes and now so tired from reading forums all over the place  :rofl:

See latest Geekbench screenshots with

A) CPU set to stock of 3.3 Ghz and XMP Profile 1 (1600 MHz DDR-3) applied.

B) CPU OC'd to 4.17 Ghz and Memory profile as (1066 MHz DDR-3)

I tried setting the Memory speed to 1600 MHz after the OC tuner ran, OS X booted but then panicked and rebooted. Will play a few more times and see how much I can push out of this CPU ..... although ...... honestly I should be happy with a Geekbench result of 21741 shouldn't I ?? Maybe enough playing and fiddling now as this machine is running as smooth as ice  :hysterical:  haha ... says he .... I should know myself better, I will probably get this working 100% shortly.

Hi, its hard to say, but:

1. Y should not have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /kexts/10.12 of Clover

2. Y should generate y own SSDT table exactly for y overclocked processor and put it to ACPI/patched of Clover. 

3. Try change SMBIOS to iMac 12,2 - theoretically it can help y.

• Like 1

Hi, its hard to say, but:

1. Y should not have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /kexts/10.12 of Clover

2. Y should generate y own SSDT table exactly for y overclocked processor and put it to ACPI/patched of Clover. 

3. Try change SMBIOS to iMac 12,2 - theoretically it can help y.

Thanks Fairfox, will give that a try ... I think nullcpupowermanagement is the culprit because it's in the original EFI in post #1 will remove and see what happens.

System seems to run best with the MacPro 6,1 definition already set in the config.plist that comes with the EFI in post #1 and I spent nearly 12 days solid just 3 weeks ago changing system definitions and generating SSDT's ..... what a nightmare. I have working PM now with the EFI in post #1 just no turbo states so I am just going to OC to 4.2 Ghz again using bios as I know it can reach it's idle states perfectly as is so this will enable it then to go up to 4.2 Ghz.

Thanks Fairfox, will give that a try ... I think nullcpupowermanagement is the culprit because it's in the original EFI in post #1 will remove and see what happens.

System seems to run best with the MacPro 6,1 definition already set in the config.plist that comes with the EFI in post #1 and I spent nearly 12 days solid just 3 weeks ago changing system definitions and generating SSDT's ..... what a nightmare. I have working PM now with the EFI in post #1 just no turbo states so I am just going to OC to 4.2 Ghz again using bios as I know it can reach it's idle states perfectly as is so this will enable it then to go up to 4.2 Ghz.

Anyway, if y a going to OC y CPU, delete nullcpupowermanagement.kext, it should be & works perfectly only if there is default processor state.

I know that now its working with the MacPro 6,1, but y have Sandy Bridge CPU - only my guess to try). Actually, y system can be tuned to have all turbo states without using BIOS of y motherboard.

• Like 1

Anyway, if y a going to OC y CPU, delete nullcpupowermanagement.kext, it should be & works perfectly only if there is default processor state.

I know that now its working with the MacPro 6,1, but y have Sandy Bridge CPU - only my guess to try). Actually, y system can be tuned to have all turbo states without using BIOS of y motherboard.

Thanks Fairfox, I have my system running so damn smooth now I actually am very hesitant to fiddle anymore (aint broke don't fix it).

I did a manual OC using the OC Tuner of the Bios which clocked it up to 4.17 Ghz and it's running like a dream. I pressure tested it all night using Prime95 and it didn't battle with anything all night long.

See my attached screengrabs which I personally am extremely happy with. I will however do one last test and remove NullCpuPowerManagement from loading and see what that does to Power Management. I also did the Combo Update to 10.12.2 which went through without a single glitch so this machine really is performing exactly how I want and need it to. I primarily do hours of work on Photographs in Photoshop and that is blazingly faster now than my Macbook has or ever could be, take me 1/10th of the time to do the same task now on my Hack versus the Macbook.

But I promise I am going to do one last thing and stop NullCpuPowerManagement from loading and report back here. As you can see in the Intel Power Gadget screen shots, the power and temperature are changing just fine, just the frequency scaling does not show most likely due to the NullCPU kext.

Oh and of course I have to once again thank JD Apolo for originally posting the his EFI which is the key to making this board work like a dream on macOS Sierra. I have everything working except for USB 3 ports which I am not phased about as the Sabertooth X79 has a special high speed USB2.0 port at the back which is actually as fast as USB 3 so I just connect my USB 3 external drives to that port when I need to sync them and they really perform about as fast as USB 3. I think I am going to rather just look for a plugin a known compatible PCI USB 3 card in the new year and forget about fiddling anymore about getting the onboard one's working.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and hope you have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2017 ;)

post-407717-0-66737200-1482578843_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-43667300-1482578853_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-30240600-1482578860_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-11624300-1482578867_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-46818400-1482578874_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-52224800-1482578882_thumb.jpg

post-407717-0-42636300-1482578894_thumb.jpg

W00t, finally got everything to be running pretty well.

As with everything in life it's the order of election that mattered.

Here's the steps as I did them which worked for me.

1) format the drive from the bootable Sierra install usb 

2) install sierra

3) use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to set

a) UEFI boot mode

B) set usb drivers 7/8/9

c) set Mac as iMac 14.2

4) since [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] will cause the refi drive to show up in finder, it's a convenient time to drop the refi files provided in an earlier post into that folder overwriting the existing files

5) update Sierra to 10.12.2

6) put on the AGDPfix

7) install the Nvidia drivers

And presto everything seems to work.

A word of my particular config, I use an external usb sound card, it worked without any special configuration, so I don't know if the on board sound is messed or not.

I also have a little generic bluetooth dongle and it worked without special effort as well. I don't recall the brands on either of these things or I'd provide them. sorry.

• Like 1

W00t, finally got everything to be running pretty well.

As with everything in life it's the order of election that mattered.

Here's the steps as I did them which worked for me.

1) format the drive from the bootable Sierra install usb 

2) install sierra

3) use ##### to set

a) UEFI boot mode

B) set usb drivers 7/8/9

c) set Mac as iMac 14.2

4) since ##### will cause the refi drive to show up in finder, it's a convenient time to drop the refi files provided in an earlier post into that folder overwriting the existing files

5) update Sierra to 10.12.2

6) put on the AGDPfix

7) install the Nvidia drivers

And presto everything seems to work.

A word of my particular config, I use an external usb sound card, it worked without any special configuration, so I don't know if the on board sound is messed or not.

I also have a little generic bluetooth dongle and it worked without special effort as well. I don't recall the brands on either of these things or I'd provide them. sorry.

Well done, pretty much same steps as I did.

- I did not try the USB Drivers 7/8/9 kext yet (did that give you working USB 3 ???)

- I left my System Definition as MacPro6,1 and all seems perfect to me.

- my onboard sound is working 100% using Toleda's ALC script

Keep in mind though I am running the Asus Sabertooth X79 board but post #1's EFI works 100% for my board too.

usb3 ports are working.  But I haven't done any speed tests to make sure they are getting usb3 speeds.

Great thanks, will test with the 7/8/9 USB Drivers and see if I can get them working.

I've just finished to install it and wowwwww! It works! At this moment the only thing that doesn't work is audio and Usb 3.0

I have to try to solve the audio first and later we will see....

My config:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4930K (6 core)

MotherBoard:GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F7

Graphics: Ati Amd 7970 Dual-X (3GB)

Ram: Crucial Ballistix Elite 64 Gb

SSD 850 Pro 1 Tb

HD: Seagate 3 tb 7200 rpm

Power: Corsair HX 1000 Watt Modular

Apple wireless keyboard, Touchpad, IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 usb micro, TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter.

Clover: 3979

SMBIOS: MacPro6,1

• Like 1

Hi guys!

Sorry for not being able to visit this forum in a while. Anyway, the original files were deleted. I compressed another one for all of you asking. Cheers!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgxsdi87ra975i4/X79-UP4%20Files.zip?dl=0

Thanks for reposting it JD and once again thanks so much for this brilliant working solution for X79 mobo's and macOS Sierra. I will take my dropbox link down.

• Like 1

Hi guys, this is the first time I was able to read all the comments in my original post. So happy to be able to help you all. Special thanks to @mitchellkza for helping out the others and figuring things I forgot to include. I'll try checking this post every once in awhile to see if anybody needs any more help. Cheers!

How about wake after sleep, I get black screen and maybe KP, I must force shutdown and boot again, any info?

X79-up4 with 3930k, patch aicpm without null, smbios macpro6,1 with little mod your ssdt

Uefipatch F7 for msr 0xe2

• 4 weeks later...

I have this exact same set up and I am able to get through to the installer every time but it always locks up at this point. I have done disk repair and reformatted in the installer disk utility. I'm using the latest version of clover and I updated the efi files based on these posts. Has anyone ever seen this before?post-1226986-0-02000300-1486828853_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have this exact same set up and I am able to get through to the installer every time but it always locks up at this point. I have done disk repair and reformatted in the installer disk utility. I'm using the latest version of clover and I updated the efi files based on these posts. Has anyone ever seen this before?attachicon.gifIMG_1159.JPG

I have really never seen that kind of error before. What kind of HDD is it? Is it possible to try a different one just for testing?

It's a Sandisk extreme SSD. I've tried different SSD's all with the same result.

What formatting options are you using in Disk Util? (MacOSX Extended Journalled?)

Are you using Disk Util from inside the installer or another OSX machine?

Have you tried connecting your SSD to a different SATA port?

If you right click on the Install Macos Sierra.app what are the permissions on it?

Sorry for all the questions, have to try and narrow down what could be wrong here.