Gigabyte X79-UP4 macOS Sierra (SUCCESS)

JD Apolo

97 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Took me about a whole day to figure this out but I finally got macOS Sierra (latest GM release) working for my board. Here are the specs of my Hackintosh.

Mobo: Gigabye X79-UP4

Proc: i7-3930K

Mem: 4x8GB 1866Mhz Corsair

Video: NVIDIA GTX 680

SSD: Mac

Here's my EFI (change them to just EFI and put at your EFI partition):

X79-UP4 Files.zip

For Audio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq1ce8dhkecnvox/audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvk89cddwe58c3h/AAAqdic9IrzXSBGKbFUvuM_ba?dl=0

Instructions:

1. Burn macOS Sierra your usual way. Put this EFI folder to your EFI installer partition. Upon installation bootup, change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1 until installation completes etc.

2. When you first get to your desktop (still with nv_disable=1), run the AGDPFix program to get full resolution for your NVIDIA card. (If after booting, the screen is black, hard restart then make sure to change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1)

3. To enable audio, mount your EFI partition then drag the audio_clover file to Terminal. Reboot and everything should work now. Congratulations! :)

Everything works (USB3, SATA, Audio, Video, etc) (Sleep I'm not really sure as I seldom leave my Hack on when not in use)

I hope this could help some people to save you guys time and energy from figuring it out. Cheers! :)

• Like 9

Hey guys! Took me about a whole day to figure this out but I finally got macOS Sierra (latest GM release) working for my board. Here are the specs of my Hackintosh.

Mobo: Gigabye X79-UP4

Mem: 4x8GB 1866Mhz Corsair

Video: NVIDIA GTX 680

SSD: Mac

Here's my EFI (change them to just EFI and put at your EFI partition):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29phqy7eu4onpqh/EFI%20%28for%20macOS%20Sierra%29.zip?dl=0

For Audio:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq1ce8dhkecnvox/audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0b0.command?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvk89cddwe58c3h/AAAqdic9IrzXSBGKbFUvuM_ba?dl=0

Instructions:

1. Burn macOS Sierra your usual way. Put this EFI folder to your EFI installer partition. Upon installation bootup, change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1 until installation completes etc.

2. When you first get to your desktop (still with nv_disable=1), run the AGDPFix program to get full resolution for your NVIDIA card. (If after booting, the screen is black, hard restart then make sure to change the nv_drv=1 to nv_disable=1)

3. To enable audio, mount your EFI partition then drag the audio_clover file to Terminal. Reboot and everything should work now. Congratulations! :)

Everything works (USB3, SATA, Audio, Video, etc) (Sleep I'm not really sure as I seldom leave my Hack on when not in use)

I hope this could help some people to save you guys time and energy from figuring it out. Cheers! :)

does it work gigabyte x79 ud5 ?

• Like 1

I have a very similar set-up as you - same specs except for my video card is the GTX-780. Other than that, same motherboard, same CPU, not sure if I have the same vendor of RAM, but 4x8gb.

I replaced my clover config file with yours and copied your 10.12 Kext folder to my EFI partition.

I only get a black screen on boot up. I tried switching to nv-disable=1, but with no success.

Prior to doing this, I had a working Yosemite install (never updated to El Capitan) and had successfully installed Sierra, but the USB 3 was not working, and there was a kernel task that was constantly taking up 200% of the cpu and making everything sluggish.

Any ideas on why Im only getting a black screen?

I'm using the Gigabyte X79, I wonder if that is the problem. I tried every combination of the nv-disable and web driver flags, and do not jave the monitor connected by HDMI.

I appreciate the suggestion. Any other ideas?

After much trial and error, I was finally able to get the computer to boot so that I could restore my EFI files and boot back into Yosemite. Upgrading my mackintosh is always fraught with anxiety, as I don't have another computer and if it won't boot after making a change, it won't boot. How do the rest of you deal with that? Do you have other computers you can mount your EFI partitions on to make changes?

How do the rest of you deal with that?

Install Clover onto a USB you don't need. It can be a small one like 512mb. Once the install is finished, replace its EFI folder by one you know that works with your system. Test it by trying to boot from it. When you're sure it is working properly, you can make change to your system's main config (on your HDD/SSD) and if you screwed up, you can boot back from the usb key. Make sure to keep that usb key in a safe place as it's your backup plan for booting on your hackintosh.

Cheers!

Guys, I was wondering. I'm never sure whether I plugged my SSD on the right SATA port or not. I have a GA-X79-UD5.

@JD Apollo and others : On your GA-X79-UP4, where did you plug it? On the white, black or gray SATA port and why?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Install Clover onto a USB you don't need. It can be a small one like 512mb. Once the install is finished, replace its EFI folder by one you know that works with your system. Test it by trying to boot from it. When you're sure it is working properly, you can make change to your system's main config (on your HDD/SSD) and if you screwed up, you can boot back from the usb key. Make sure to keep that usb key in a safe place as it's your backup plan for booting on your hackintosh.

Cheers!

Thanks! I'll try that, or perhaps the opposite, try to get a file that will load Sierra successfully on a USB before changing the one on my HDD. I have kind of a noob question though. If i have an EFI partition on a HDD with clover, and a USB stick with Clover, how do I force it to load the USB version instead of the HDD? How do I know which will be loaded at startup?

You have a Gigabyte board? Upon bootup, when you see the Gigabyte logo, press F12. You'll then see a list of all your plugged in drives. Select the one you want to boot on and hit enter.

Also, one thing I like to do is setup different themes on each Clover install. That way, you know for a fact that you've booted on the right device.

• Like 1

Did you select "Install Clover in ESP" when installing Clover?

Also, read the description of  "Install Clover in ESP". You'll need to format the EFI "AKA ESP" partition using :

newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk#s#

Here's what I use 

post-507889-0-69028300-1475023595_thumb.png

I tried a different USB drive, and this time it worked, although I can't seem to make it boot from it. I put a theme on the USB, but unless it's not loading the theme, it doesn't look like I'm successfully booting from the USB.  In the Boot selection list in the BIOS I'm selecting generic USB as the disk (I have several HDDs in the tower), but I'm not sure that is the correct one, as there are several disks listed with gibberish looking names.

I tried a different USB drive, and this time it worked, although I can't seem to make it boot from it. I put a theme on the USB, but unless it's not loading the theme, it doesn't look like I'm successfully booting from the USB. In the Boot selection list in the BIOS I'm selecting generic USB as the disk (I have several HDDs in the tower), but I'm not sure that is the correct one, as there are several disks listed with gibberish looking names.

The best way to make sure you're booting from the right one is to unplug everything else. I know it can be a hassle but it clears every bit of ambiguity. If I were you I'd unplug everything, try to boot from the USB and try to understand how to boot from it with trial and error.

Do you use Clover Configurator to manage your clover config plist? It's way more user friendly than editing the plist file itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

Thanks so much for posting! Helped me a lot!

Everything in my System works now, expect for the USB 3 Ports.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for answering

Janis

-------

Edit: USB 3 works. I just have to plug in the device two time in a row.

---

My System

Intel Xeon E5 1650 @ 3.5 Ghz (6 Cores)

NZXT Kraken X61

Gigabyte X79 UP4

Asus GTX 980 Strix

Crucial 16Gb DDR3 RAM

NZXT H440

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My hack:

Mb: Gigabye X79-UP4

Mem: 4x8GB 2133Mhz Kingston

Video: NVIDIA GTX 960

SSD: Intel

I'm doing all the instructions, but the system after the installation the following error occurs during loading:

After that the system restarts

Can you help me?

sorry for my English

post-1875360-0-70765700-1478087369_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My hack:

Mb: Gigabye X79-UP4

Mem: 4x8GB 2133Mhz Kingston

Video: NVIDIA GTX 960

SSD: Intel

I'm doing all the instructions, but the system after the installation the following error occurs during loading:

After that the system restarts

Can you help me?

sorry for my English

What boot args did you use?

Awesome :drool:  thanks for posting this, this really got my board up and running perfectly, especially the sound issue which now shows all output interfaces and they work.

Having your EFI to use and the audio script were the savior of the day as no other audio solutions were working. What's best about this is not even having to run ##### after the install, simply using Clover Boot ... it's like magic and probably as Vanilla as one can get !!!!

I have not tested all my USB 3.0 ports but did plug a USB stick into one of the back USB 3.0 ports this morning and it was recognized but then plugged it into the port right next to it and it was not recognized. Also USB 3.0 does not show in the System Profiler it only shows the USB2.0 bus even though the USB stick did mount and was accessible in Finder. Will test this a bit more. I'll leave it plugged it and see if it shows after a reboot.

Sound is crystal clear, processor identified as a Xeon but works perfectly except no SpeedStepping, that is still something I am trying to get working properly. It just stays running at 3300 Mhz and never fluctuates between it's base of 3300 MHz and it's Peak of 3900 MHz. Other than that the voltages of the CPU are fluctuating correctly when applications are run must just figure out why Speedstepping is not kicking in.

Any ideas on getting Speedstepping working ? I know it has something to do with the P-states and C-States.

My specs:

Asus Sabertooth X79 with Bios 4801

Intel Core i7-3960X (3300 > 3900 Mhz)

Corsair 1600 Mhz DDR3 4 Gb x 8 (32Gb)

MSI Twin Frozr II Nvidia GPU

OSX Sierra 10.12.1

Nvidia Web Driver (WebDriver-367.15.10.15f03)

Nvidia Cuda Driver (cudadriver-8.0.51-macos)

Thanks again for this truly simple solution to getting an X79 board working  :thanks_speechbubble:

Update:  I have tried many things this morning including going through step-by-step of this tutorial by Shiloh and still can not get Speedstep working for love or money. I think something has changed with OS X sierra and speedstepping. Have generated an SSDT.aml using his ssdtPRGen.sh but still nada and played with various settings in clover but it will just not generate P-States. I have however used the Asus OC Tuner and safely overclocked the cpu to 4.17 Ghz and the Geekbench score has improved drastically so I guess I will just run with this overclocked config for now and forget about speed stepping and all that until Sierra has aged a bit more and more people have played with it. I know I am probably missing something somewhere just do not know what to do anymore to get that working and my eyes and now so tired from reading forums all over the place  :rofl:

See latest Geekbench screenshots with

A) CPU set to stock of 3.3 Ghz and XMP Profile 1 (1600 MHz DDR-3) applied.

B) CPU OC'd to 4.17 Ghz and Memory profile as (1066 MHz DDR-3)

I tried setting the Memory speed to 1600 MHz after the OC tuner ran, OS X booted but then panicked and rebooted. Will play a few more times and see how much I can push out of this CPU ..... although ...... honestly I should be happy with a Geekbench result of 21741 shouldn't I ?? Maybe enough playing and fiddling now as this machine is running as smooth as ice  :hysterical:  haha ... says he .... I should know myself better, I will probably get this working 100% shortly.

post-407717-0-17409600-1479278395_thumb.png

post-407717-0-92910700-1479278670_thumb.png

post-407717-0-19027200-1479278714_thumb.png

post-407717-0-66087800-1479289733_thumb.png

post-407717-0-97450400-1479289926_thumb.png

post-407717-0-03677000-1479289938_thumb.png

post-407717-0-24076800-1479289946_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for helping us out with the simple and sweet instruction OP.

Phathak I am getting slow boot time in clover from bios to clover boot menu. Almost 20 second. I am on SSD and my MB is Asus P9X79 Pro with 3930K CPU.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Regards

Anban

• Like 1

Im trying to setup this same mobo cpu combination, but with a geforce 970, and I keep geting stuck.

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to make a sierra install usb drive, then when I boot off of it I get to the initial clover boot selection and pick the external drive that has sierra on it, and then I get stuck at a black screen with a white apple and a progress bar, but theprogress bar never progresses...

Is there a way to get a verbose read out of what it's doing at this point?

Im trying to setup this same mobo cpu combination, but with a geforce 970, and I keep geting stuck.

I used ##### to make a sierra install usb drive, then when I boot off of it I get to the initial clover boot selection and pick the external drive that has sierra on it, and then I get stuck at a black screen with a white apple and a progress bar, but theprogress bar never progresses...

Is there a way to get a verbose read out of what it's doing at this point?

These mobo's always require you to boot with the 

npci=0x2000

flag

What I do after installing is boot to the new installation drive with the followings flags

-v npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 dart=0

This will normally get you into OSX, then you need to apply the AGDPFix (Google it), then instal the Nvidia Web Drivers and then Fix Sound Issues using Toleda's audio script.

Then after that you can boot regularly with

npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 dart=0

You need to play around with boot flags sometimes but the npci is crucial for Sabertooth X79 and most X79 boards. In some cases you actually need to use 

npci=0x3000

I actually keep 

-v

as a permanent boot flag so I can always see what's going on. Having npci=0x2000 as a permanent boot flag after you have working installation seems for me to have to always be there I have not figured out a way of ever booting without it or figuring out what needs to be patched in the DSDT to fix that but it does not affect any functionality, everything works so I guess it just helps the boot process bypass detection of devices which is normally where most people see the stuck progress bar

• Like 1