[GUIDE] Lenovo T460/T470 macOS with Clover and OpenCore

tluck

1,289 posts in this topic

correct - no need for modded bios. just replace with atheros or broadcom wifi. I had to return the T460 to my former employer. my signature lists all my Hacks - which I keep current on High Sierra/Clover. So I guess I need edit my signature to remove T460. My current employer gave me 2017 13" MBP so I have not shopped for a newer hack lately. But I miss my T460 which could dual boot macOS and Windows in a flash. My kids have Lenovo Laptops. And my 2011? T420 still runs quite well since I replaced the dim AUO LCD with a nice bright LG. My "timemachine" is hanging off the now aging mini-mac-5-hack but it still runs Plex splendidly serving as my HTPC.

58 minutes ago, tluck said:

correct - no need for modded bios. just replace with atheros or broadcom wifi. I had to return the T460 to my former employer. my signature lists all my Hacks - which I keep current on High Sierra/Clover. So I guess I need edit my signature to remove T460. My current employer gave me 2017 13" MBP so I have not shopped for a newer hack lately. But I miss my T460 which could dual boot macOS and Windows in a flash. My kids have Lenovo Laptops. And my 2011? T420 still runs quite well since I replaced the dim AUO LCD with a nice bright LG. My "timemachine" is hanging off the now aging mini-mac-5-hack but it still runs Plex splendidly serving as my HTPC.

Hi tluck....

That is good to hear.... a real Mac which i have plenty of... but no challenge...LOL.

I do have a 2017 5th Gen X1 Carbon i7 but no one has successfully hacked it.....when doing Mac OS, I swapped out the NVME for a regular m.2 sata3 ssd.... makes hacking easier..

Managed to follow the El Capitan 10.12.6 but booting in a loop after i install the 2018 security patch 02 for El Captian... i suppose i have to wait for some one to do High Sierra on this machine.....

And yes you are right the T460 looks like a good machine for the hack... capable of up to 32gb ram and with a 2.5in 7mm ssd you can go up to 1tb....

Regards

bd4utonite2

On 14.4.2018 at 3:14 PM, verleihnix said:

Does someone know if an adapter M2 to Apple WLAN fits in a T460?

The Bios has to be modified before, but does it fit with its physical dimensions

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Xinte-Mini-PCI-E-zu-NGFF-M-2-M-taste-BCM94360CS2-BCM943224PCIEBT2-Wireless-Adapter-Konverter-f/32857715723.html?

Aus deinen Namen schliesse ich, das du Deutsch kannst. Mein Englisch ist nicht so gut.

Ich nutze einen ähnlichen Adapter (M.2 zu Mini PCI-E -> https://www.reichelt.de/DELOCK-62848/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=55&ARTICLE=199211 ) mit einer Atheros AR5B95. Funktioniert problemlos und ohne BIOS Modifikation auf meinen T460s. Konnte ihn, dank des Flachbandkabels unter dem rechten Lautsprecher platzieren.

Gruß Willy.

• Like 1

So, I switched to T460. BCM94352Z is on its way.

Thanks to tluck for your work.

I am using your pack from 24.04.18.

Is there any thing else to take care about?

ie: usb restart fix, or is that already in the pack? 

Edited by verleihnix

@verleihnix - well everything should be there

- execpt 1 thing: i had forgotten about the USB Fix. that is not in the most recent pack. but I just added to SSDT-HACK-T460.dsl for the next push.

$ cat SSDT-HACK-T460.dsl 

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "T460", "HACK", 0x00000000)
{
    External (\_SB.PCI0, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (\_SB.PCI0.LPC, DeviceObj)    // (from opcode)
    External (\_SB.PCI0.XHC.PMEE, FieldUnitObj)
    External (\_SI._SST, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments (from opcode)
    External (ZPTS, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments (from opcode)
    External (ZWAK, MethodObj)    // 1 Arguments (from opcode)

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)  // _PTS: Prepare To Sleep
    {
        If (0x05 == Arg0)
        {
// fix "auto start after shutdown"
            \_SB.PCI0.XHC.PMEE = 0
            Return (Zero)
        }

ZPTS (Arg0)
    }

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)  // _WAK: Wake
    {
        If ((Arg0 < One) || (Arg0 > 0x05))
        {
            Arg0 = 0x03
        }

Local0 = ZWAK (Arg0)
        \_SI._SST (One)
        Return (Local0)
    }
}

Hello, my laptop is X270, a bit like yours T460, but the audio card. My audio is alc298, I tried to custom a new applealc, and replce your applealc.kext and lilu.kext. But find that if the applealc.kext is replaced or deleted. Computer will restart after boot automatically. 

23 hours ago, tluck said:

you get it here: 

https://github.com/tluck/AppleALC

there are not many differences between this kext and the original branch

- the big thing would be in controllers.plist where I add more patches for the FB.

- otherwise i added options for ThinkPad Docks for T460 and T420

Thanks! I downloaded your source codes. Then costumed them and recompiled them. Then I solved my problem. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, djydaw said:

Thanks! I downloaded your source codes. Then costumed them and recompiled them. Then I solved my problem. Thanks!

Hi diydaw

I am right now working on a T470p which has the same audio codec.

may i know what you have modified in applealc?

All the Best

Frank

Edited by franksanderdo

Hi tluck

after fiddling around for some time I have the t470p working in some parts based on this instructions.

missing right now:

a) Audio (ALC298) were (being a beginner in this hack) I still don't understand what to do.

b) adapting for docking station (I will do when I have Audio working

c) final adjustments for USB power (start working on that today)

d) wifi & BT.... waiting for the Broadcom card I have ordered

I just figured that in the beginning of the process I must have messed with my clover configs so I will have to merge my settings into your config.plist 

everything else I managed to keep adjustments in the t470p folder I created based on your t460 folder.

So I guess soon I can send you the folder, that you can add it to your archive. 

Thanks a lot for all the effort you have put into the guide. It helped me a lot in learning!!

All the Best

Frank

On 5/5/2018 at 1:12 AM, franksanderdo said:

Hi diydaw

I am right now working on a T470p which has the same audio codec.

may i know what you have modified in applealc?

All the Best

Frank

I have uploaded for you which I have costumed for ALC298. The inject number is 3.  If you have any questions, you can send E-Mail to djydaw@163.com.

AppleALC.kext.zip

Edited by djydaw

Dears

I am so happy!! :star_smile:

My Todolist from last time:

a) Audio (ALC298) were (being a beginner in this hack) I still don't understand what to do.  Done thanks to @djydaw

b) adapting for docking station (I will do when I have Audio working)

c) final adjustments for USB power (start working on that today) Done, thanks to my OmenX were I have kind of learned how to do it

d) wifi & BT.... waiting for the Broadcom card I have ordered Done, thanks to a german supplier not afraid to send parts to Middle East 

e) Facetime & iMessage

f) Autologin with Apple Watch is not yet working. Started working now and I don't know why

g) Ethernet only works if plugged in during start. after that I can remove and / or sleep and it is ok

The docking station stuff has to wait until I get my station back. (need it in the office for the next weeks)

For those who are interested, I have attached the folder "DSDT.T470p" which belongs were the T460 and T560 folder are.

If I did not mess things up, it would work out of the box on any T470p with recent bios.

All the Best

Frank

DSDT.T470p.zip

Edited by franksanderdo
updated todo list

Hi tluck

you are right... I should have copied my EFI folder as well. :wallbash:

I can do that tonight.

I had to replace the Broadcom kexts against the latest ones as I have the BCM943602BAED and it did not want to work with your set. in addition I am using the modded AppleALC.kext from djydaw. As soon as I find out what he did to make the the ALC298 working I want to document that. 

As I have left as much as even possible original in your package, there is now a config-t460.plist, config-560.plist and a config.plist which I would rename to config-t470p.plist. Maybe this way we can keep the package working for everybody!?

I am working right now on some cosmetics (have a look at the ssd-arpt.dsl) were I am trying to have OSX filling the PCI tab in the system report properly. Not really needed, but I like it to have the information in place ;)

Thanks a lot for all the effort you have put in the guide. This made my build possible :thumbsup_anim:

All the Best

Frank

Hi @tluck

as I promised I wanted to upload my EFI folder but it is > 10MB (zipped) so I am wondering How I can get it to you?

Today I tried, just for curiosity, the HDMI port..... it did not work. gives me a new project and renders my todo list to be:

a) adapting for docking station (I will do when I have Audio working)

b) Ethernet only works if plugged in during start. after that I can remove and / or sleep and it is ok

c) HDMI not working so presentations / movies on my beamer :D

see you soon and all the Best

Frank

@franksanderdo

b) ethernet - i seem to recall having troubles with this too. so started using sleep watcher to turn it on/off 

c) HDMI - i wonder if this port connected to the disabled discrete gfx ? 

@tluck

sleep watcher... I will find it and test it. Even though I have no problem with sleep and ethernet.

It is only when starting / restarting the system ethernet has to be plugged in to be detected properly.

If I don't do that and plug it in after starting only, it detects the cable for a second and than say no cable and again cable detected and a second later no cable.... weird thing that is :D

Let me see what sleep watcher can do

For HDMI being connected to the Nvidia that is a good idea. I will try to find some more detailed docs on the T470p.

Reports will follow ;-)

Any Idea how I get the EFI Folder zip to you as it is to large for the 10 MB limit here?

All the Best

Frank