Problems with Graphics Cards on the macOS Sierra

Mirone

52 posts in this topic

-Model Graphics Card (AMD Radeon HD 5730M 1GB DDR3)

-Version of Clover/SMBIOS (r4061 Legacy / MacBook Pro 6,2)
-Any Solution Found? (None yet!)
-Using FixEDID? (Tried, did not work.)

When I turn the machine on, the Clover boot loader loads in high res. (1600x900) and displays the verbose boot info in that res too. When it gets to the login page...my laptop display does not work at all (Black screen but has brightness). It uses LVDS. I have a Sony Bravia TV that I hook up through DisplayPort. It looks like the screen is cut in 4. I am able to navigate (somehow) to the desktop. Once there, I can open the display preferences and if I change the resolution on the TV to 720P then 1080P...it displays the screen correctly! So something is definitely fishy there. I am currently using the Nomascus FB, I have load vBios and Patch vBios selected and Inject EDID too.

I get the DP/VGA working but still no LVDS. I tried to take out the ram setting, turned off Dual Link, disabled patchvbios and changed video ports to 3. I changed the smbios to MBP 6,2 and removed the kernelpm patch. For now, I just patched the config.plist on the PEGP to GFX0 for now and I get the same result. This is so frustrating but I'm determined to find the solution haha. 

It's getting really weird. It's like it is not taking any of my settings and adjusting them. Take a look at these pictures. I injected a Custom EDID via clover and the system is not using it. I also injected the connectors and the Nomascus FB, but it looks like it is using the default fallback FB. What's worse is that the system thinks I have an 11.6' display which from the looks of it doesn't seem to be an internal display. When I take screenshots, it shows the image of the internal display and the TV. But nothing gets outputted to the laptop screen. Is there a way to insert all of this info onto my DSDT/SSDT? I tried to look at the guides for patching the DSDT but they are all for laptops with Intel Graphics and not for discrete/dedicated cards alone. My machine does not have Intel Graphics or dual GPU's so the guides do not help me. I also had to create my own DSDT/SSDT.

UPDATE:

I think because I have a DSDT.aml file in the patched folder that I made for my laptop and because my particular card is supported in the AMD5000Controller.kext file that even when I remove all Clover ATI injections...I am still able to get a working DisplayPort (no audio) and VGA but no LVDS. I removed Inject ATI/AMD, load/patch vBios, all connectors patches, device/vendor ID's, Inject/Custom EDID's and just left the change PEGP to GFX0 patch. This setup is also still using the default generic RadeonFramebuffer/Legacy RadeonFramebuffer instead of any one that I choose. I have tried every Framebuffer compatible with my setup and it still defaults to the legacy one. I also tried to hot patch the connectors, product/vendor ID's and EDID's. I selected all the FB's that have 3 or more connectors and are compatible with the AMD5000Controller.kext Nothing works and cannot get the internal display via LVDS to work for the life of me.

UPDATE 2:

So the only way LVDS works is if you use the usb clover boot drive with the device and vendor id's injected wrong for the AMD GPU. It comes up as an unknown device and at least shows a display with 1024 x 768 resolution on both LVDS and DP. :/

• 1 year later...

I am going through the same issues except mine are only on gigabyte branded cards. For instants:  I have a few gforce gt240 cards as well as a few older ones. All of these cards worked in 10.6 all the way up to 10.11. Now I noticed that only the gigabyte branded cards are crashing and or cause a KP. So if I use say my MSI Gforce GT240 or or an EVGA GT240 everything works fine in 10.12/10.13. If I use the Gigabyte version of the GForce GT240 I get a KP and it doesn't work at all in 10.12 and if I use it in 10.13 I just get an instant reboot and no KP at all, However with 10.13 If I just leave it go and let it keep rebooting, it will eventually startup correctly and Im talking maybe 20 to 30 reboots it will actually start fine and once its started I have no issues and Im good but god forbid I dare shutdown or restart on my own it may take a half hour to work again. Is there anyone out there with any Ideas? And Like I said its only in Gigabyte branded cards and its only in Sierra or later. so If I use my PNY 8600GT Im good if I use my Gigabyte 8600GT same problem. I use my BFG 9800GT all good, I use my Gigabyte 9800GT Same reboot issue might work after like 20 Reboots.