XE700T1C direct update to Sierra GM from El Capitan using Clover, almost fully working (No Wacom drivers yet)

erfoz

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've updated my Ativ today to Sierra GM using the App Store, just wanted to share my experience.

RMyigit.png

First of all, i've been running El Cap for a few months now, thanks to this guide, so all credits go for duduclx and the folks who contributed there.

Still no Wacom drivers for Sierra, so no pressure sensitivity on the screen. If this is important for you don't update yet.

Haven't tried it yet, but the Wacom drivers for Sierra are published.

Ok, these are the steps I took:

--------------------

1 - As usual, backup your ElCap install. I use Clonezilla.

2 - Download macOS Sierra GM from the Store.

3 - Update Clover to the last version. I did that by opening Clover Configurator, update it to the last version, and then select Install/Update Clover. It will download the last version, just check that you are installing it on your current OS X drive and that the same options as duduclx guide are marked.

4 - After Clover is update, mount your EFI partition and copy FakeSMC.kext, NullEthernet.kext, to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ (You can delete all the others folders if you want)

5 - Download and copy HFSPlus.efi to /EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI

6 - Launch the Sierra installer. When the system reboots, select Boot OS X Install in Clover. The OS will start updating, and eventually it will reboot. In Clover, select Boot Mac OS X, and the final part of the update process will begin (VoodooPS2Controller.kext caused a kernel panic in this boot, i had to enter recovery and remove it from /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/. I guess you can delete it from ElCap before launching the Sierra installer).

7 - After the update is done, you can configure your Apple id, etc. I had no sound, use EasyKext or whatever and reinstall AtivHDA.kext and the rest of the kexts in the Post installation section of duduclx guide. Reboot and you're done.

--------------------

I mainly use the Ativ hooked up to a 23" FHD screen. Xcode, Logic X, the App Store, iCloud, are working as good as ever. Only flaws so far:

- No Wacom drivers yet.

- The mic isn't working so no Siri. Wasn't working for me in El Capitan either, never took the hassle to figure it out why.

- Physical volume keys on the side of the tablet are not working.

If anyone knows how to fix the last 2 issues would be much appreciated :-)

P.S. English is not my main language. Also, i'm no expert so maybe there are things that could have been done better or not needed to be done at all.

• Like 2

1) Yes not avail

2) Mic works fine with AppleALC, try patching AppleHDA and such

3) It worked before for some time, apple did something to the PS2 API/drivers and so anything PS/2 wont work, waiting Rehabman to do his magic.

and also, I've been testing Sierra since the first DP, but lately I abondoned this project, maybe I'll go later, but meh! OS X doesnt have native touch nor the TouchDrivers are helping! so myeah! not worth it for now. Good job tho (FYI, I directly updatd from 10.11, worked fine to some extand, expected from DP, but I didnt try GM)

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, midi, you are the man! I'll try the mic fix.

I feel you, Windows 10 it's a must if you use it mainly as a tablet or laptop, just for the touchpad gestures it's worth for me. But lately it almost never leave my desktop, and works fine that way, so i'll stick with it for now. Also can't find a DAW for win that can replace Logic, i'm too used to it haha

Hi,

Thanks to mention my guide (and contributors who helped so much)

1/ did you try to reinstall the tablet driver ?

What kind of error you get ?

2/ mic should works but surely need a new audio patch

3/ dsdt related.

4/ voodooPs2: need fix and dsdt patch

A debug version exist.

Too early to install it.

Siri can be a good tips to avoid a missing keyboard when using it as a tablet.

So it can be very interesting to update.

As i said in comments of my guide, i use the tablet only to draw with the pen.

And also, i hate Windows so i'll still under El capitan.

By the way, i'll create a new server and a laptop with 10.12, so when i'll know better this new OS, i will update all my computers (ativ, Dell e6410, Dell e6230, hp 820 g2, ga-x58-udr3 motherboard).

You can wait to me (lately) or midi for a step by step installation.

Cheers !

Hi,

at the Welcome screen after the OS updated, it said that Wacom Pentablet was not compatible with macOS and was gonna be deleted. I was stupid enough to not try to reinstall the drivers and check by myself. Actually I messed up Clover while trying to fix the mic, so i'm back to my 10.11.6 backup. Probably will try again on Monday just to check the Wacom drivers again.

A little question: I have had Macbooks before the Ativ, i just bought it to be able to make some sketches on the go, but prefer OSX myself. The thing is I've used Manga Studio for a long time and find the experience subpar on osx. Do you know a way to disable the touch input (leaving only the pen) so you can put your hand on the screen while drawing? How do you handle drawings on yours?

Haven't thought about the Siri thing, actually looks very promising, man! It's great to know that you guys are still working on this computer!

Thanks and cheers!

I just fixed some issues with my 10.11 install, so now everything is working (but for the wake audio issue, which works from time to time, even with CodecCommander, apparently it needs refining), but anyway, I also has some issues with the clean install of Sierra (libfaketime wont compile, SwitchResX wont install the libraries and daemon even with SIP disabled, which it somehow fixed itself later, keep reading) so the solution is an upgrade, so we will have the packages already in place, also disable SIP after first boot:
so here is what I did:

1. Install clean 10.11 (I had .5 installer, whatever) using this #287 then used a premade dmg of 10.11 installer (made by me incase of windows only environement, for other people just make a normal installer, or do as me) and Installed it you usually do.
  2. Download PlistEditor and fix your config, adding MLB/ROM and other K2P patches and enabling NewWay and PFLNFix, put VoodooPS/2 AppleALC ACPIBrightness ACPIBattery and ARPTinject (for my Atheros, temporary) in CLOVER > kexts > Other, reboot
  3. Installed iTerm + brew.sh + zsh (optional, I like it) + libfaketime + cputhrottle, reboot
  4. Installed CodecCommander to L/E, patched DSDT (with iasl 5.1 chosen) with [uSB 0x0D + USB series8/7 + Atheros (with PXSX > RP01) + Battery + _PLD Fix + upnp CaSe fix], remove ARPT, reboot
  5. Installed SwitchResX and applied new scaled resolution (2732x1536 to get 1366x768 HiDPI) saved settings, enabled HiDPI in system (use google), reboot
  6. Done what to do with re-updd and updd-ku (check last post on the main thread, post #304 )
  7. Downloaded macOS Sierra GM, installed it
  8. On first boot, rebooted to recovery, open Terminal, type csrutils disable then reboot
  9. Open SwitchResX, Installed all components again, and applied the resolution, reboot
  10. ...
  11. Profit.

The issues now are:

1. Volume buttons need to be reconfigured, apparently IOHIDFamily is at fault, blame Apple, the same goes with other buttons as they are PS/2 (thanks samsung)
  2. Find a proper patch for out ALC269 VC V2 for microphone, as it works on cold boot, but doesnt ~sometimes~ on warm boots
  3. Wait for Wacom to release their frikkin driver.
  4. WiFi issue still persistent! may cut suddenly without notice.

That's it!

1cyg2RM.png

64HtZTj.png

PToIlhd.jpg

PS: duduclx, pls fix your post.

• Like 1

Update: Found a way to install libfaketime (0.9.5) on clean 10.12 install (not optimal, but it's a good workaround, it has the same basics as the upgrade):

1. Install http://brew.sh
  2. Downlaod libfaketime: libfaketime.zip
  3. Extract the file
  4. Copy the resulting folder (libfaketime) into /usr/local/Cellar/ 
  5. Run this in terminal: brew link libfaketime
  6. ...
  7. Profit

So basically I just took the compiled libfaketime and made brew use it.

Meanwhile, I'm still not getting VoodooPS2 to work, a help is really needed to make the buttons works again (tho I dont use the rotate button much, the home button is needed, same goes with the volume rockers)! thanks :3

I reflashed my UEFI FW and "SOMEHOW" the wifi disappearance stopped happening (???), time will tell.

Also, did anyone notice slowness compared to 10.11.x?

Anyway, I also want to take permission from you (and duduclx) to open a new thread and make a full guide about Sierra, and leave it WIP and fix it with time.

• Like 1

I couldn't have the mic working with the AppleALC stuff, so if you do a proper guide for a clean install that'd be great, midi!

Cannot tell about the slowness, i'm back on 10.11 until Wacom release the drivers. Contacted support a couple weeks ago and they told me they were testing them and will be avalaible in a few days. I guess they mean weeks.

A little question: I have had Macbooks before the Ativ, i just bought it to be able to make some sketches on the go, but prefer OSX myself. The thing is I've used Manga Studio for a long time and find the experience subpar on osx. Do you know a way to disable the touch input (leaving only the pen) so you can put your hand on the screen while drawing? How do you handle drawings on yours?

I installed the UPDD driver from their web site (only for the touch). Their driver has the option to disable any device (in this case, the touch). The driver you download has a time limit. to overcome the limit, I changed the system time to something like 100years from now, installed the driver, and reset the time to correct value. The driver also has 100 click limit, but as long as you disable the device, there are no clicks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I also want to take permission from you (and duduclx) to open a new thread and make a full guide about Sierra, and leave it WIP and fix it with time.

Permission granted !

I will not update my original guide till you make a new guide for 10.12 sierra.

Then, i'll update my guide, just by adding a link to it, and thanks you for help and work you have done.

;)

cheers !

Permission granted !

I will not update my original guide till you make a new guide for 10.12 sierra.

Then, i'll update my guide, just by adding a link to it, and thanks you for help and work you have done.

;)

cheers !

THANKS!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Found a way to install libfaketime (0.9.5) on clean 10.12 install (not optimal, but it's a good workaround, it has the same basics as the upgrade):

1. Install http://brew.sh
  2. Downlaod libfaketime: attachicon.giflibfaketime.zip
  3. Extract the file
  4. Copy the resulting folder (libfaketime) into /usr/local/Cellar/ 
  5. Run this in terminal: brew link libfaketime
  6. ...
  7. Profit

So basically I just took the compiled libfaketime and made brew use it.

Meanwhile, I'm still not getting VoodooPS2 to work, a help is really needed to make the buttons works again (tho I dont use the rotate button much, the home button is needed, same goes with the volume rockers)! thanks :3

I reflashed my UEFI FW and "SOMEHOW" the wifi disappearance stopped happening (???), time will tell.

Also, did anyone notice slowness compared to 10.11.x?

Hi Midi, u used this updd-ku, but it load cpu very heavy. I use Scrip with:

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime off " password " " with administrator privileges

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:05:15'" password " " with administrator privileges

tell application "UPDD Gestures"

activate

end tell

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password " " with administrator privileges

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password " " with administrator privileges

and it very ok, but u can connect Internet for update time online and UPDD Gestures not load heavy.

I hope u can develop this script. Thank you

• Like 1

Hi Midi, u used this updd-ku, but it load cpu very heavy. I use Scrip with:

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime off " password " " with administrator privileges

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:05:15'" password " " with administrator privileges

tell application "UPDD Gestures"

activate

end tell

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password " " with administrator privileges

do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password " " with administrator privileges

and it very ok, but u can connect Internet for update time online and UPDD Gestures not load heavy.

I hope u can develop this script. Thank you

Whoah dude! THANKS! that will lessen the hassle now (if it works for everyone eventually), a simple AppleScript :D I'll try it and throw some feedback!

Whoah dude! THANKS! that will lessen the hassle now (if it works for everyone eventually), a simple AppleScript :D I'll try it and throw some feedback!

with "do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password " " with administrator privileges" u can control nearly today, because if don't connect internet u can work with all app. and with "do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password " " with administrator privileges" will update time automatic. I upload scrip, u can test it. 

With "re-updd" and my scrip, we can active and used trial driver of Touch-base

Reset time UPDD.zip

• Like 1

with "do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password " " with administrator privileges" u can control nearly today, because if don't connect internet u can work with all app. and with "do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password " " with administrator privileges" will update time automatic. I upload scrip, u can test it. 

With "re-updd" and my scrip, we can active and used trial driver of Touch-base

10/10 working, tho it needs some refining, like the repetitive password asking (asking once is enough, so setting the password as a string in the beginning will help to ease that up by explicitly putting the password!) also : IT DOES NOT EAT YOUR DAMN BATTERY <<<=== AWESOME!

Here my version of your script:

tell application "UPDD Gestures" to quit saving no #to force quite UPDD, may be needed
set psswd to "INSERT_PASSWORD_HERE" as string
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime off " password psswd with administrator privileges
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:05:15'" password psswd with administrator privileges
tell application "UPDD Gestures"
	activate
end tell
# do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password psswd with administrator privileges << I dont think we need that line, activating the network time does the work automatically
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password psswd with administrator privileges

I only added the set part and the force quite to help ease things up.

Here is the editable app (thanks to @hoang for it) : UPDDrewind.app.zip

Also, since you will be explicitly show your password, edit the file then go to File > Export to > and check "run-only" so it wont be editable afterwards and keep your password safe (until someone really hack the file *somehow* and get the password, anyway that's dumb to do).

Again! Thank you!

Update: I'll definitely add this in the Sierra guide, it's under the work! :D

• Like 1

10/10 working, tho it needs some refining, like the repetitive password asking (asking once is enough, so setting the password as a string in the beginning will help to ease that up by explicitly putting the password!) also : IT DOES NOT EAT YOUR DAMN BATTERY <<<=== AWESOME!

tell application "UPDD Gestures" to quit saving no #to force quite UPDD, may be needed
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime off " password psswd with administrator privileges
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:05:15'" password psswd with administrator privileges
	activate
end tell
# do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setdate '04:10:16'" password psswd with administrator privileges << I dont think we need that line, activating the network time does the work automatically
do shell script "/usr/sbin/systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on " password psswd with administrator privileges

Here is the editable app (thanks to @hoang for it) : attachicon.gifUPDDrewind.app.zip

Also, since you will be explicitly show your password, edit the file then go to File > Export to > and check "run-only" so it wont be editable afterwards and keep your password safe (until someone really hack the file *somehow* and get the password, anyway that's dumb to do).

Again! Thank you!

Great Midi.

I think we need reseach for UPDD Console, reset 24h/100 click. I don't want reinstall it. Keep your's work Midi

• Like 1

activate
end tell

Here is the editable app (thanks to @hoang for it) : attachicon.gifUPDDrewind.app.zip

Again! Thank you!

Hi Midi.

You can track real time thi UPDD Console with command : i hope u can find to reset Trial 

sudo fs_usage | grep UPDD Console | grep open

Thank you

• Like 1

Hi Midi.

You can track real time thi UPDD Console with command : i hope u can find to reset Trial 

sudo fs_usage | grep UPDD Console | grep open

Thank you

hmm didnt quite get you, when I run this, it's stall, so I had to open UPDD Console, which I think is not the one we need to look into.

• 1 month later...