AMD R9 290 (non-x) issues in Sierra

justpal

47 posts in this topic

In previous versions of OS X - Yosemite and El Capitan it was pretty easy to use this card - put FakeID of r290x (67b01002) and use generic frame buffer. But now this method does not seem to work. If I try to boot with same config, I get stuck at boot, just when the login screen should appear, system works fine. For now the only way to boot into system is to disable Inject ATI in Clover and loose QE/CI. So what is the way to make this card work again, does anyone else have same issues??

In previous versions of OS X - Yosemite and El Capitan it was pretty easy to use this card - put FakeID of r290x (67b01002) and use generic frame buffer. But now this method does not seem to work. If I try to boot with same config, I get stuck at boot, just when the login screen should appear, system works fine. For now the only way to boot into system is to disable Inject ATI in Clover and loose QE/CI. So what is the way to make this card work again, does anyone else have same issues??

All you should need for a non X 290 is use a fakeid of as you said 0x67b01002 no Ati injection or framebuffer patches unless you need multi-monitor. 67B0 device id is already in AMD8000Controller and AMDRadeonX4000 for acceleration.

I have a 290x that was working in 10.11 with no fb patches or injection and am having smiilar problems in 10.12.

The machine starts the boot process fine initially (apple logo, progress bar), then when the progress bar reaches the end, I see a white screen with some minor video artifacts randomly appearing (sort of like random flickering black streaks) instead of what should be the login screen.

I used to see this in 10.11 too, but it would only appear for a split second before dumping me to the login screen.

The machine is somewhat properly booted during this as I can ssh in and run terminal commands, but windowserver is stuck at 100% cpu usage while this white screen is up, and I obviously can't get past it.

This happens regardless of whether I use displayport or DVI.

Card works fine in windows and 10.11. 10.12 Safe mode loads just fine oddly enough, though obviously that's not a solution.

Any ideas?

I have a 290x that was working in 10.11 with no fb patches or injection and am having smiilar problems in 10.12.

The machine starts the boot process fine initially (apple logo, progress bar), then when the progress bar reaches the end, I see a white screen with some minor video artifacts randomly appearing (sort of like random flickering black streaks) instead of what should be the login screen.

I used to see this in 10.11 too, but it would only appear for a split second before dumping me to the login screen.

The machine is somewhat properly booted during this as I can ssh in and run terminal commands, but windowserver is stuck at 100% cpu usage while this white screen is up, and I obviously can't get past it.

This happens regardless of whether I use displayport or DVI.

Card works fine in windows and 10.11. 10.12 Safe mode loads just fine oddly enough, though obviously that's not a solution.

Any ideas?

I just installed macOS Sierra in my pc and I have a i7-4790k and r9 290x, but when I boot the pc to do the post installation stuff, i just got a black screen, and appear in the display "no HDMI signal", can you help me to at least boot the OS to try something?

Also, R9 290X will not be compatible with Sierra, or it will be a fix soon?

Hey guys, there is a simple way to boot using R9 290 or R9 290X. I got this help in other forum, so let me help you with that.

All you need to do is go in the BIOS iGPU settings and select your onboard graphics as primary, but if you do this you will get no pre-OS graphic. So what I did was connect another Display in my oboard GPU VGA Input, and when I boot using this, the pre-OS stuff appear in that display, and after the OS is loaded the image automatcly jumps to my main display using my main GPU (R9 290X).

If you have ASUS Motheboard should be like this: System Agent Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display -> iGPU.

And if you dont have it's probably like that.

I installed Sierra just to test, and couldn't configure the Clover Bootloader to load the system on my own, cause i'm noob and lazy, so I will wait for multi best for Sierra.

I don't know why this is occurring with R9 290X, i don't know why the system gives a black screen before loading the OS, but after the OS is load the GPU works really well. I think Sierra still have support for these boards, holpefully there will be a fix for us AMD users :/.

So I will wait more, but if anyone it is in rush with that, just do all this and you'll be fine.

Regreting everyday for choose this board over 780TI when I bought my pc.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Hey guys, there is a simple way to boot using R9 290 or R9 290X. I got this help in other forum, so let me help you with that.

All you need to do is go in the BIOS iGPU settings and select your onboard graphics as primary, but if you do this you will get no pre-OS graphic. So what I did was connect another Display in my oboard GPU VGA Input, and when I boot using this, the pre-OS stuff appear in that display, and after the OS is loaded the image automatcly jumps to my main display using my main GPU (R9 290X).

If you have ASUS Motheboard should be like this: System Agent Configuration -> Graphics Configuration -> Primary Display -> iGPU.

I installed Sierra just to test, and couldn't configure the Clover Bootloader to load the system on my own, cause i'm noob and lazy, so I will wait for multi best for Sierra.

I don't know why this is occurring with R9 290X, i don't know why the system gives a black screen before loading the OS, but after the OS is load the GPU works really well. I think Sierra still have support for these boards, holpefully there will be a fix for us AMD users :/.

So I will wait more, but if anyone it is in rush with that, just do all this and you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for sharing. The best thing would be not to use a second monitor everytime (for those who don't have it, especially). But as a temporary fix it should be something good. I will try it as soon as I can.

So the problem is our card is not fully loaded with the system or something like that... I wonder if that could be a software or hardware issue. But it should be software, because it worked very well with Yosemite and El Capitan with 0x67B01002 as fakeID... I hope someone with the right knowledge will help us.

Thanks everyone.

I guess it's the same fix for the 390X, I had this black screen on previous builds but didn't want to waste time troubleshooting a beta build.

I'll try it this weekend with the final version, thanks.

• Like 1

I know, maybe this is just stupid... But since the card used to work with no kext editing for Yosemite and El Capitan and the only editing for the card that could be done (speaking of kexts) was in S\L\E and all of this is pretty much a software issue... Well, if we try to backup the Extensions folder that's in, let's say, El Capitan and we just paste it on Sierra's. I'm a noob, but I know that the Extensions folder is where the card is being recognized as working/not working for the system. Something must be changed for it and that might be why our card is not working fine anymore... Is it a possible solution or did I just say a lot of bull{censored}s? :( I would really know more about it

Yeah, it's software I think. Because booting like that we get the R9 290X working properly inside the OS. I think it will be a fix. All we need to do it is to wait. I'm running Sierra right now. Waiting to the fix. So if you guys need any kext file, just ask and I upload for you, so you can test something.

GXKUdVd.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it's software I think. Because booting like that we get the R9 290X working properly inside the OS. I think it will be a fix. All we need to do it is to wait. I'm running Sierra right now. Waiting to the fix. So if you guys need any kext file, just ask and I upload for you, so you can test something.

GXKUdVd.jpg

How did you make it recognize the card as in the picture?

I replaced everything with AMD and Intel from El Capitan to Sierra and now I can boot with the same config.plist that worked for El Capitan, but with 5mb only... But hey it's a change.

Edit: I noticed that even though I have set the computer as a Mac Pro 6,1 in SMBIOS, it is displayed as an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) ...

Edit #2: If booting with "inject ATI" flagged, it shows the name AMD Radeon R9 290/390 5 MB instead of Monitor 5 MB as before.

AxjqAYL.png

post-1443325-0-48146100-1475091934_thumb.png

post-1443325-0-80104900-1475092173_thumb.png

Thanks everyone.

I can confirm it works with 290 non x too

QGeicGd.png

but I have no audio (ALC1150).

Anyway this should mean that our card is working as secondary only, right? Because if booting blind (using integrated gpu as primary) without a second monitor i get this just like I booted with two screens plugged in:

AmOENSI.png

So... Is there a way to tell the OS I am using the "second" (290) screen only or something like that, in Clover?

I don't think it is secondary. When we boot using iGPU on, like I did, the monitor plugged into my VGA HD Graphics run, but as soon as I get in login screen, the image jumps to my R9 290X display, so, the system is only using the iGPU when it's booting. But after the boot is done, our card it is the primary again. I'm re-installing macOS Sierra right know than, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it is out to test it. 

I don't think it is secondary. When we boot using iGPU on, like I did, the monitor plugged into my VGA HD Graphics run, but as soon as I get in login screen, the image jumps to my R9 290X display, so, the system is only using the iGPU when it's booting. But after the boot is done, our card it is the primary again. I'm re-installing macOS Sierra right know than, ##### it is out to test it. 

Well, it is secondary because we tell BIOS to use IGPU as primary :) Anyway I updated Clover EFI v2 3773 (I had 3763). Maybe something changed for us too.

Rebooting with 290 as primary in BIOS

----

No luck...

Hey, I just installed OS Sierra, and did the post-installation running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I will upload a few pics so you can see. Everything it is working fine, with iGPU on.

The OS is pretty faster, I don't know if it is faster cause I did a clean install, or maybe they updated something.

And I realize we are telling our motherboard to run in iGPU, but in About, all it show it is my R9 290X, and the image jump to my display connect into my R9 290X.

Thats why I think it's only running in Intel HD Graphics when it's booting.

pcB0Nrm.pnghXTdVPP.png8sJS5Vc.jpgyy4N2S8.pngRKihtvW.png

Hey, I just installed OS Sierra, and did the post-installation running #####. I will upload a few pics so you can see. Everything it is working fine, with iGPU on.

The OS is pretty faster, I don't know if it is faster cause I did a clean install, or maybe they updated something.

And I realize we are telling our motherboard to run in iGPU, but in About, all it show it is my R9 290X, and the image jump to my display connect into my R9 290X.

Thats why I think it's only running in Intel HD Graphics when it's booting.

pcB0Nrm.pnghXTdVPP.png8sJS5Vc.jpgyy4N2S8.pngRKihtvW.png

What did you change with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

I used it for the audio, but it's still not working.. (ALC1150)

I can confirm it works with 290 non x too

QGeicGd.png

but I have no audio (ALC1150).

Anyway this should mean that our card is working as secondary only, right? Because if booting blind (using integrated gpu as primary) without a second monitor i get this just like I booted with two screens plugged in:

AmOENSI.png

So... Is there a way to tell the OS I am using the "second" (290) screen only or something like that, in Clover?

That's great!. I have the R9 290 too, but there is no way I can get it work, even with IGPU activated in BIOS.

Can you share your config.plist so I can try it, please ?

That's great!. I have the R9 290 too, but there is no way I can get it work, even with IGPU activated in BIOS.

Can you share your config.plist so I can try it, please ?

I did this way:

Went into BIOS and set IGPU as primary, connected my DVI cable to my 290 and then rebooted. When OS X was at login screen I was able to see it.

Another thing you can do is to leave your cable plugged to IGPU and when the screen goes off or freezes, switch it to the 290 and you'll see it too, but it may be a bit flickering.

My config.plist is attached below anyway

Remember to generate your own serial before you use it

config.plist.zip

I did this way:

Went into BIOS and set IGPU as primary, connected my DVI cable to my 290 and then rebooted. When OS X was at login screen I was able to see it.

Another thing you can do is to leave your cable plugged to IGPU and when the screen goes off or freezes, switch it to the 290 and you'll see it too, but it may be a bit flickering.

My config.plist is attached below anyway

Remember to generate your own serial before you use it

I didn't done it that way, I just connected two cables from my monitor (one VGA and another HDMI), to the internal GPU (VGA), and R9 290 (HDMI) and then reboot with IGPU activated.

I will follow your advice and see what happen.

Thank you for your help.

I didn't done it that way, I just connected two cables from my monitor (one VGA and another HDMI), to the internal GPU (VGA), and R9 290 (HDMI) and then reboot with IGPU activated.

I will follow your advice and see what happen.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Let me know if that worked for you too

What did you change with #####?

I used it for the audio, but it's still not working.. (ALC1150)

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], it was like ####, cause this forum do not support tonymac. In [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for sierra all kexts was updated to sierra, all sound working. Just download and do the post-installation with it.