Anyone have a 980ti working?

infernouk

52 posts in this topic

Hey guys

Just got sierra installed and my hackintosh no longer recognises my 980ti.

It doesnt list it in about this mac either. 

It was all fine and displayed correctly in El Capitan, I have installed the latest web drivers.

Any ideas why? I can booth both nv disabled and enabled after a few trys so that doesnt seem to effect it

Hey guys

Just got sierra installed and my hackintosh no longer recognises my 980ti.

It doesnt list it in about this mac either. 

It was all fine and displayed correctly in El Capitan, I have installed the latest web drivers.

Any ideas why? I can booth both nv disabled and enabled after a few trys so that doesnt seem to effect it

if you are using clover in EUFI mode select emuvariableeufi-64, if you are running on legacy mode and you card don't work after you installed the web drivers then you need to enter some commands, also make sure you are using the latest version of clover. if you are on legacy mode tell me so i can tell you what to do

• Like 1

if you are using clover in EUFI mode select emuvariableeufi-64, if you are running on legacy mode and you card don't work after you installed the web drivers then you need to enter some commands, also make sure you are using the latest version of clover. if you are on legacy mode tell me so i can tell you what to do

EmuVariableUefi does exactly what the name suggests - it emulates NVRAM. If you're installing Clover in UEFI mode and have working hardware NVRAM, there's no need to install it.

yes that the way it should be i'm aware of that i can check my nvram values and i have working nvram with and without emu variable but for some weird reason if i don't install emuvariableeufi-64 in sierra my nvidia 970 don't work, this in sierra only, i'm running sierra GM right now, i have run all kind of test and that's way it works on my board. so in order for my video card to work in sierra in EUFI mode i have to use emuvariabeeufi. i even post my nvram values using micky1979 NVRAMme.app to proof that i have nvram support without using or installing emu variableeufi=64. in yosemite or in el capitan i don't need to use it for the video card because my card don't need it but the way it is now in sierra. i have to use it for my video card to work. i have an x99 board , gigabyte g1 gaming wifi and a pair of identical 970's gigabyte gaming the ones with the back plate, not the cheaper wind force without the plate and the lower clock speed.

i have EmuVariableUefi installed, it still has the issue.

Just today i loaded the OS, black screen, loaded it -v and nv_disable and it booted. Used AGDPfix and restarted and it worked perfectly.

But then if i shut down and startup again, it black screens unless i repeat this process. 

Its just a long circle every time i boot to get it going fine. 

Any Ideas?

i have EmuVariableUefi installed, it still has the issue.

Just today i loaded the OS, black screen, loaded it -v and nv_disable and it booted. Used AGDPfix and restarted and it worked perfectly.

But then if i shut down and startup again, it black screens unless i repeat this process. 

Its just a long circle every time i boot to get it going fine. 

Any Ideas?

yes maybe your system is not saving nvram correctly

do this

remember this a test

but i have run this test and it works

this is only for some boards that can't save nvram correctly

just in case my board saves nvram correctly but for some reason i still need emu variable for the card to work on sierra

ok do not remove emuvariable because you need it for this test 

do not use nvda_drv=1 uncheck that in clover

go to terminal and enter these commands 1 by 1 follow by enter

after you first command you have to enter your password that's normal then continue with the list of commands

sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

nvram -x -p >nvram.plist

sudo mv ./nvram.plist /nvram.plist

sudo chmod 777 /nvram.plist

chflags hidden /nvram.plist

exit

now select nvidia web driver if you already have the web drivers, if you don't have the web drivers installed yet , install them now

reboot

your card should be working now

please report back in case you need any more help

good luck

this method also works in EUFI , Legacy and GM but only do this method if you can't get your card to work the normal way

also get the latest version of clover, if you press the space bar on top of your bootable hard drive in clover menu

you can check and uncheck flags from there

make sure to select boot with selected flags

• Like 1

yes maybe your system is not saving nvram correctly

do this

remember this a test

but i have run this test and it works

this is only for some boards that can't save nvram correctly

just in case my board saves nvram correctly but for some reason i still need emu variable for the card to work on sierra

ok do not remove emuvariable because you need it for this test 

do not use nvda_drv=1 uncheck that in clover

go to terminal and enter these commands 1 by 1 follow by enter

after you first command you have to enter your password that's normal then continue with the list of commands

sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

nvram -x -p >nvram.plist

sudo mv ./nvram.plist /nvram.plist

sudo chmod 777 /nvram.plist

chflags hidden /nvram.plist

exit

now select nvidia web driver if you already have the web drivers, if you don't have the web drivers installed yet , install them now

reboot

your card should be working now

please report back in case you need any more help

good luck

this method also works in EUFI , Legacy and GM but only do this method if you can't get your card to work the normal way

also get the latest version of clover, if you press the space bar on top of your bootable hard drive in clover menu

you can check and uncheck flags from there

make sure to select boot with selected flags

Thanks I tried this step by step, then went to reboot with nv enabled and just got the same unresponsive black screen

I manage to get in with nv disabled and -v and one about kexts i think? (not sure it was somewhere at the top) I then did the AGDPfix again and it let me boot perfectly again. 

But again black screen on the following boot.

So whatever AGDPfix does that makes it boot, it isnt saving at all, and your suggestion didnt work/save either!

ok first go to terminal and enter this command

sudo spctl --master-disable

now go to system/library/extensions and delete AppleGraphicsControl.kext

now use kext wizard and install the patched version that i uploaded for you

choose the right file depending on your system version and install the right file using kext wizard

now click on web drivers and reboot

if it doesn’t work, i need you to check this

go to clover graphics

and make sure you are not injecting nvidia or any other

go to clover install drivers and make sure you don’t have cmsvideodxe installed

now try to boot again

if that don’t work then i have something else for you to try

since your board is probably different than mines , you are going to have to test and do something different

instead of not selecting nvda_drv=1 in your bootflags

do the opposite and check the flag to see if that does the trick for you in your board

now try to boot again

when you say this

and one about kexts i think? (not sure it was somewhere at the top)

you mean boot without kext cache or with injected kext

do not use or check neither to those 2

ok i got a few questions for you

are you using the latest version of clover?

what smbios are you using?

what version of sierra are you running?

what version of web drivers are you using?

make sure you use this version of web drivers

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-08292016/

sierra GM uses PB7 web drivers

choose the right drivers, install the web drivers and reboot

FIX.zip

hi i double check the steps and in sierra something did change now when you enter the commands you have to select nvda_drv=1 

so post 7 was right but that was the setup for public beta 7 

for GM select nvda_drv=1 

i also wrote post 9 as a troubleshooter

but remember to select nvda_drv=1

I tried post 9, there was no AppleGraphicsControl.kext in the folder you stated for me to delete, so i used the wizard and added the GM one you provided, rebooted and all is ok. Im not sure if it will last but at least it got me a clean boot without flags and issues. Should i try anything else if this has let me boot? like the amended post 7 you mentioned? or leave it

here are responses to the questions:

are you using the latest version of clover?

yes

what smbios are you using?

i think its 6.1? the new mac pro one

what version of sierra are you running?

GM release

what version of web drivers are you using?

Latest from the sierra graphics thread

i think you should be ok , the only way for you to know is to test your system and give it a few of restart to see if everything stays working fine

so you have everything exactly just like me

same version of clover

same version of sierra

same version of smbios

same version of web drivers

same version of patched AppleGraphicsControl.kext

i want to mention that my english is not perfect so you have to tell me if you card is working fine that way it should with acceleration and everything

something like yes it's working fine

for me to know that everything is all right

if you card is working then is suppose to continue working unless you remove emuvariable or you delete the nvram file which is located on root of your drive

that file is hidden so there is no way for you to delete it unless you use show hidden files

so as long as you don't change anything, everything should continue to work if is already working

​but like a said you have to restar a few times because some people mention having problems after getting their card working and restarting like 3 times

​i'm not saying using this particular method, i'm just saying when they do it the regular way

​so in order for you to know if everything is fine, you have to test your card and your system

but if is working then it should continue to work unless you change the things i said

if your system is working fine , leave it like that. if your card is working then you don't have to change nothing or do nothing else.

i think you should be ok , the only way for you to know is to test your system and give it a few of restart to see if everything stays working fine

so you have everything exactly just like me

same version of clover

same version of sierra

same version of smbios

same version of web drivers

same version of patched AppleGraphicsControl.kext

i want to mention that my english is not perfect so you have to tell me if you card is working fine that way it should with acceleration and everything

something like yes it's working fine

for me to know that everything is all right

if you card is working then is suppose to continue working unless you remove emuvariable or you delete the nvram file which is located on root of your drive

that file is hidden so there is no way for you to delete it unless you use show hidden files

so as long as you don't change anything, everything should continue to work if is already working

​but like a said you have to restar a few times because some people mention having problems after getting their card working and restarting like 3 times

​i'm not saying using this particular method, i'm just saying when they do it the regular way

​so in order for you to know if everything is fine, you have to test your card and your system

but if is working then it should continue to work unless you change the things i said

if your system is working fine , leave it like that. if your card is working then you don't have to change nothing or do nothing else.

Hi

I have just restarted and am having the same issue again now, no idea what could be changing! If i add the kext with the wizard and reboot it works fine with nv_enable, but then on the next restart it will black screen unless i boot nv_disable and -v and reinstall the kext file again and restart...its a loop!

I had a look and cmsvideodxe was installed still. Can i just remove it and try rebooting or do other steps have to be done after?

just remove cmsvideodxe , i think you have a cache problem, when you get the system working fine use kext utility to create a new cache

but that new cache is your current cache that has the video working

then reboot

use kext utility 

do not use kext wizard

kext wizard is another app

let me get the link for you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/140647-latest-kext-utility-macos-sierra-super-speed-edition/

http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4

just remove cmsvideodxe , i think you have a cache problem, when you get the system working fine use kext utility to create a new cache then reboot

use kext utility 

kext wizard is another app

let me get the link for you

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/140647-latest-kext-utility-macos-sierra-super-speed-edition/

http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4

Thanks I have done these steps with kext wizard, i will post back here (tomorrow morning) after I have done a reboot with feedback

ok perfect i'll be back tomorrow

Hi just booted up the pc today and same issue again! i managed to get in by booting -v and -nv_disable and used kext wizard again to add the kext, then rebooted and got back in using just -v and now its loaded ok.

Any idea at all?

Also it may not be relevant but when i shut down it has problems with chrome and gives me an error so i didnt know if theres generally some sort of cache issue or something affecting multiple things?

yes don't worry i'm not out of ideas or solutions yet 

are you multi booting El Capitan and Sierra?

let me ask you again do you have sierra install in one hard drive and El Capitan installed in another hard drive 

or do you have both system in the same drive with different partitions

this the reason why i ask

make sure you have clover boot loader installed in sierra bootable hard drive

do not use any other hard drive bootloader

do not even use an usb flash drive

install clover in sierra hard drive 

and try to boot your system again

the point here is to make sure that sierra reads nvram.plist from root of sierra hard drive

because if you boot from another hard drive

you might have a copy of nvram.plist there but is not going to have the values that you need for your card to work in sierra

so you need to have the nvram.plist where it belongs in sierra hard drive with the right values and the only way to do that if to have nvram.plist in root of sierra drive

if you have to run the commands again do it

check this out

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-08292016/page-17

read post 329 and 339

yes don't worry i'm not out of ideas or solutions yet 

are you multi booting El Capitan and Sierra?

let me ask you again do you have sierra install in one hard drive and El Capitan installed in another hard drive 

or do you have both system in the same drive with different partitions

this the reason why i ask

make sure you have clover boot loader installed in sierra bootable hard drive

do not use any other hard drive bootloader

do not even use an usb flash drive

install clover in sierra hard drive 

and try to boot your system again

the point here is to make sure that sierra reads nvram.plist from root of sierra hard drive

because if you boot from another hard drive

you might have a copy of nvram.plist there but is not going to have the values that you need for your card to work in sierra

so you need to have the nvram.plist where it belongs in sierra hard drive with the right values and the only way to do that if to have nvram.plist in root of sierra drive

if you have to run the commands again do it

check this out

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-08292016/page-17

read post 329 and 339

I only have 1 drive and its the Sierra drive, i upgraded from El Capitan so dont have that anymore, i just updated clover before i upgraded to sierra 

Again today it wouldnt boot normall, i booted nv_disable and -v and it worked, then added that kext in witht he wizard, restarted, and its fine again. So its just not saving/using that kext?

After further testing, i seem to be able to boot by selecting 'Boot OSX with injected kext' every time, does this mean that clover isnt injecting kexts naturally unless I select this? 

'

Here is a screenshot of the nvram.plist in the sierra root drive

35mdfRTl.png

my storage drive has an EFI partition but its empty, should i delete this to minimise chance its causing problems or will this erase all the data on the drive? I dont want to loose all my backups by messing with the EFI on it 

Cheers

iFWRDzhl.png

Edit: to confirm, manually selecting inject kext makes the system boot ok every single time, is there a way i can force clover to do that by default rather than having to hit spacebar and select it? And im still getting some odd black screen messages at power off ocassionally

Again today it wouldnt boot normall, i booted nv_disable and -v and it worked, then added that kext in witht he wizard, restarted, and its fine again. So its just not saving/using that kext?

After further testing, i seem to be able to boot by selecting 'Boot OSX with injected kext' every time, does this mean that clover isnt injecting kexts naturally unless I select this? 

'

Here is a screenshot of the nvram.plist in the sierra root drive

35mdfRTl.png

my storage drive has an EFI partition but its empty, should i delete this to minimise chance its causing problems or will this erase all the data on the drive? I dont want to loose all my backups by messing with the EFI on it 

Cheers

iFWRDzhl.png

Edit: to confirm, manually selecting inject kext makes the system boot ok every single time, is there a way i can force clover to do that by default rather than having to hit spacebar and select it? And im still getting some odd black screen messages at power off ocassional

i think there may be some problems with your config.plist. 

The key issue at hand is you have not listed what your full system spec are nor what SMBIOS you are using. All of these things can play a part in causing Nvidia GPUs to not work properly.

I have had no issues with the 980Ti using Nvidia Retail Drivers for the BETA running two under the installation.

The key issue at hand is you have not listed what your full system spec are nor what SMBIOS you are using. All of these things can play a part in causing Nvidia GPUs to not work properly.

I have had no issues with the 980Ti using Nvidia Retail Drivers for the BETA running two under the installation.

I listed the SMBIOS was 6.1, the hardware is X99 chipset with a 5830k. My computer works perfectly when i click 'inject kexts'in the clover boot screen, it doesnt work if i dont, so the issue is something with the clover setup rather than kexts and other settings i think 

• Like 1