GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

BRP

19 posts in this topic

Nothing but the very latest from the labs of Dr. Weird!

Here (~1mb) shall you find the latest aborted project from the one and only BRPXQZME! It comes off a .edu site, so it must be good!

What is it? It is Gens for Linux! For Mac!

You need X11, GTK, and SDL to run it! X11 is provided by Apple, GTK+ (v2.x) and SDL (v1.2.x) are provided by ... fink or DarwinPorts, depending on how you installed things!

To run it, you need to have the X server running, and the binary well aware of it! That is, it is probably best run out of the xterm the X server provides, but do it another way if you care to.

It does not have many of the great new features of GENS32, nor should you even think about touching Sega CD emulation with this! In fact, I disabled some parts and it could very well break your computer, you have been warned!

It does allow you to play things that no other Genesis emulator has ever played before... on the Intel Macintosh, that is. And probably a bit faster as well? I have no clue! But I get music in Flicky and I can play Lemmings 2, and isn't that what counts?

Finally you may freely redistribute this, since it's GPL! Ha ha!

Until it's got 32x emulation and an Aqua interface, I'm sticking with Genesis Plus or Generator.

Also, Gens can already run with CrossOver, I think.

Two words: DIE. PAINFULLY. The ATHF reference not only seems to go above your head, its location in the Programming and Development board should indicate this is a request for TESTING and AMUSEMENT AT ITS X11+SDL COCOA GHETTONESS.

Until it's got 32x emulation
That's the 50% of the point of Gens on Mac!
and an Aqua interface,
Shot the fack up!
I'm sticking with Genesis Plus or Generator.
Buggy, old, slow, feature-lacking, and non-Aqua to boot!

Also, Gens can already run with CrossOver, I think.
NOT MAC! GET LOST!

(If you haven't gotten the hint already: never cross anyone who codes emulators for their emulators, even if it's a mere port. I'm not kidding you)

Does this post make all the female members who read this into Gentlemen?? Also I am I Gentlemen???

I just couldnt resist :)

when Dr. Weird makes his announcements, usually Wayne's the only audience there is anyhoo... which sort of doesn't count as "men" so don't feel alienated or anything

kega
closed source ;)

moreover, no linux version, so it wouldn't be as much of a tweak-and-recompile job as this. Still, I can play Sonic 3 without the infamous artifacts most old emulators have and I can play <Insert RPG here> without noticing how badly things slow down when the game scrolls the map.

• 2 months later...

Bump'd because I can

See, here I was hoping to see the very first emulator with Sega CD support on mac, only to be soely dissapointed. HOWEVER, this apparently can do 32X so it loosens the blow a litte bit.

Are you sure that source is working? I got a bunch of compile errors when trying to compile it. I was thinking of having a few programmer friends of mine take this over since you apparently announced it dead

It was working the last time I compiled it! The Genesis part, that is. If you could be a little more specific about where it fails I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

It doesn't do 32X (or at least it doesn't seem to). And I most certainly got rid of functionality in the SegaCD (mostly in the ASPI functionality ... and apparently it was a little wonky even in Gens for Linux, or so I've heard).

I haven't a clue as to how to fix the 32X problem, and even if you fixed the parts I commented out, I'm not so sure SCD would work.

Either way, it's not dead. I'm working on re-writing the whole thing from scratch. Of course, that will take a while since I'm a busy guy (not to mention that it took a long time for the original to get to where it was). I don't really think it's proper to work on Gens for Linux anymore, though, and even the people who were working on the SF.net source thought so... they were working on refactoring everything into one big happy unified source tree for better maintenance. Before activity went silent anyhow.

For the curious, the general gist of what I'm doing is to get the interface to be mostly OpenGL-driven for maximum coolness/portability. You probably won't be able to leak any more details out of me than that, though, not until "when it's done" (to quote the people behind a certain infamous project which I will liken this one to).

I actually managed to get it working. It took a few symlinks (all the symlinks in the source dir were pointing to fink's /sw/, darwinports is in /opt/somethingorother, and I had to symlink automake1.10 to automake1.9 as per those symlinks, etc), compiled it, and I managed to get a GUI, and I can open a genesis rom, which is either taking forever to open or freezing the emu.

Edit: OK I fixed my sound and now I have it working

Edit2: OKay I just tried loaded a Sega CD ISO (Sonic CD US Final), with absolutely no problems, I don't see why you said don't attempt it, 32X gives a werid crackling noise, even without the BIOS set

I actually managed to get it working. It took a few symlinks (all the symlinks in the source dir were pointing to fink's /sw/, darwinports is in /opt/somethingorother, and I had to symlink automake1.10 to automake1.9 as per those symlinks, etc), compiled it, and I managed to get a GUI, and I can open a genesis rom, which is either taking forever to open or freezing the emu.
Try running "automake --add-missing" next time? If this were a "real" distribution instead of a piece of {censored}, you wouldn't have this problem of course :P

I don't see why you said don't attempt it
There are "people" on the "Internet" who are "idiots" who may "sue" my "pants" off if they break "their" computer or their "copy" of a game. If you get what I "mean". (subtext: The sheer number of people who don't fully understand the terms or ramifications of the GPL are bewildering. No warranty means no warranty, biatch.)

There are "people" on the "Internet" who are "idiots" who may "sue" my "pants" off if they break "their" computer or their "copy" of a game. If you get what I "mean". (subtext: The sheer number of people who don't fully understand the terms or ramifications of the GPL are bewildering. No warranty means no warranty, biatch.)

Right, well, whatever the reason, Sega CD emulation seems to be just fine. We're looking into the code in #emuscene on Macspeak to see what we can do about 32X emulation. I made some samples of the app with and without the BIOS files added in, just to see what exactly is going on.

Some of us are also going to start working on dumping the vomit GTK+ menu for this emu and re-writing it in Carbon, but that's to come later. Otherwise we can go the ZSnes route and integrate the menu within the SDL itself

I also figure if this can end up working well, it could jumpstart the sf.net project, seeing as it's being run on a commercial OS, anything can happen.

Technically, all you'd really need to do to have a proper-ish Mac port is take the GTK+ out and just give it menus and such (which thanks to SDL's Mac implementation is actually a little more complicated than it should be IIRC, but it's been a while since I looked it up).

I just want to do it my way with uber cross-platform and dazzle-yer-brains for the hell of it (and because I need a serious prototype of a few GUI concepts I though up a long time ago but have yet to put into existence). No need to wait for me, of course :P

If you care enough to make maintaining Gens a serious effort, try browbeating DarkDancer into publicly releasing his sources for Gens32. It is GPL, after all. But before you do that, make sure you're putting in a serious effort. It's really disappointing to see people pick up a project like this only to put it down for the umpteenth time.

Technically, all you'd really need to do to have a proper-ish Mac port is take the GTK+ out and just give it menus and such (which thanks to SDL's Mac implementation is actually a little more complicated than it should be IIRC, but it's been a while since I looked it up).

I just want to do it my way with uber cross-platform and dazzle-yer-brains for the hell of it (and because I need a serious prototype of a few GUI concepts I though up a long time ago but have yet to put into existence). No need to wait for me, of course :P

If you care enough to make maintaining Gens a serious effort, try browbeating DarkDancer into publicly releasing his sources for Gens32. It is GPL, after all. But before you do that, make sure you're putting in a serious effort. It's really disappointing to see people pick up a project like this only to put it down for the umpteenth time.

Oh don't you worry, I don't plan on dropping this any time soon. Ever since 10.4.1 I've been attempting to get gens working on intel macs, and this is just the boost I need to keep it going. I might look at how Yabause made it's Intel -> PPC port of it's Sega Saturn emulator to see of a possible PPC version of Gens, but that's way off in the distance. Perhaps qemu-user can work on PPC OS X, but I havent looked into it too much yet.

I don't plan on dropping this any time soon
Famous last words! :P

It's the same thing with Gens as ZSNES:

If you ported it to PPC, it just wouldn't be the same emulator anymore. I'm not intimately familiar with the inner workings of Gens, but I'm pretty sure it works a lot like ZSNES does, by basically matching up as many Genesis-isms as it can with as many x86-isms as it can. This doesn't suit a PPC program very well, however, since it uses a different processing philosophy.

(OT: and to the people who haven't been pestering me to release another ZSNES WIP: thank you for not pointing out that I'm a lazy douchebag. I'll try working on that sometime, but I'm a busy man with some serious ADD who can't ever stick to just one project.)

• 1 month later...

ok its a great port but there are a few bugs...

Bug 1. Color messed up after going full screen..

Bug 2. No way of exiting full screen mode!!! I had to reboot my Hackbook to exit..

Bug 3. Most Menu command keys are mapped for pcs running linux and not for macs running os x