Is it possible to directly upgrade to Sierra?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

infernouk

infernouk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey guys

I'm having a clover related issue upon installing Sierra.

I download the image and run it, it goes to reboot, but I'm missing the clover boot option to boot from OS Installation, there is only 1 option to boot off the system drive El Capitan instal, so I'm stuck in a loop where I can't trigger the Sierra installation.

Any advice on what the likely issue could be here?mi don't really want to clean install everything is possible!

Cheers

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,359 posts

Most likely a bug, same here.

Make a USB Installer and install to same HD, you should not loose anything.

Alternately, if you have a Time Machine backup, you can import your user settings from it when you do a Clean Install. 

STLVNUB

STLVNUB

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,359 posts

Made a DVD and installed straight over El Crappo,

A few apps not compatible but rest AOK, user settings, home folder etc.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

I put the Sierra Installation app into my applications folder and upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra without any glitches.  When I first booted into Sierra, sound and wifi did not work.  I had to rebuild kext caches and reboot.  Then, I got wifi and sound back.  It was pretty simple and took about 30 minutes total installing on a SSD.

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

I download the image and run it, it goes to reboot, but I'm missing the clover boot option to boot from OS Installation, there is only 1 option to boot off the system drive El Capitan instal, so I'm stuck in a loop where I can't trigger the Sierra installation.

Any advice on what the likely issue could be here?mi don't really want to clean install everything is possible!

Cheers

Do you have something in GUI > Hide Volumes in config.plist ? If so, remove all of them and you should see "Boot Mac OS X Install from xxx" on next reboot.

Also, make sure you put FakeSMC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 folder or Other (create those if needed).

Drazick

Drazick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

I have a system based on what seen here:

http://www.insanelym...ac-zbox-ie-750/

I have macOS 10.11 installed now.

I want to upgrade to 10.12 (macOS Sierra).

I was wondering if there a guide how to do it.

Thank You.

pduke

pduke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

from my experience it has to do with the version of clover.

for me v34... is not able to "see" the Sierra installation boot option while v37... can

Drazick

Drazick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

@pduke,

So it means all I have to do is to update Clover?

pduke

pduke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

worked for me so you can try. but make a back up first ;)

Drazick

Drazick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You didn't even move things to a different folder on Clover folder?

Like creating 10.12 folder or something?

pduke

pduke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

my case is a bit different. i am booting from a USB cause my mobo does not see mac hdds as bootable....

BUT

i run the sierra upgrade > restart > and if i use an older version clover USB i can't see the sierra installer partition, while with a new version i can see it.

yesterday for example i managed to install sierra into a new HDD using  v37 clover USB and the install partition i had from my upgrade.

just make a USB with latest clover, boot from it and check if you see the partition. then you will know if clover version is the answer

in addition, i try to always be careful, i try to never compromise a hackintosh install that runs fine. so i would make a clone of my el capitan to a new HDD and i would do all the testing there.

Drazick

Drazick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I was just wondering if I need to create new folders in my EFI folder.

Like 10.12 or "Other".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy