Quo Z77MX-QUO-AOS Recommended Sierra Upgrade Path

benvigil

5 posts in this topic

First post... I'm looking for recommendations on the best upgrade path to Sierra and running a dual-boot 10.9.5/10.12 system at 2560 x 1440.

Background

I'm a long-time Quo user running F2N starting with 10.7.x and upgraded without incident thru 10.9.5. The only thing that is not plain vanilla is that I've had to patch audio kexts and I use a Bluetooth dongle. I've read most of the gargantuan QUO thread and have a few questions about upgrading. I'm currently running Core i7 3770 w/16G RAM and integrated HD 4000 graphics pushing dual 24" monitors via DVI and HDMI at 1920x1080. I was never able to get the mDP ports to work reliably. They DID work, but I don't remember the details of the problems I had. My main drives are all internal SSD (3) with extra storage on internal/external spinning rust drives. No fusion drives. 

Goals
  • I'll keep my existing SSD running 10.9.5 for development/testing purposes.
  • I'll add another SSD running Sierra 10.12 as my main system. Not sure if I'll clone/upgrade or do a clean install.
  • I need to run both 10.9.5 and 10.12 at 2560 x 1440 -- I just picked up a 32" HP monitor to run alone without a second monitor. From what I've read I need to do this via mDP, which currently does not work at 2560 x 1440 under my current setup. I don't care if it's via HD 4000 or if I have to buy an new nVidia card to make this work. I want the path of least resistance and I need it to work under 10.9.5 and 10.12. I suppose having a decent nVidia card might make video editing work less painful, so there's that.
  • Having the latest/greatest/fastest is NOT a goal.

I'm Assuming
  • I'll need to flash up to the latest BIOS (H20.167X-MASS) -- with this give me any problems with 10.9.5?
  • I'll need to run video via mDP/DP at this resolution?
  • Maybe installing a dedicated graphics card might be easier all around?

I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice or that has done something similar?

• 3 weeks later...

If you could help me, I'd be happy just to know how to run El Capitan or Sierra on my quo. Do you still need to download installer and put on USB stick using a true Apple machine? Or can you download and put on usb from quo Computer?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk