Clover 560Ti, reboot with inject, blank desktop with nvda_drv=1

Chakonari

34 posts in this topic

EDIT 19th Sep 2016: The information re the monitors below is incorrect - it is simply a matter of not every reboot being the same unless everything is fixed.

At his moment I cannot risk bricking the card through a BIOS update. But I think that may not be needed - perhaps not even a reinstall. Both monitors have the same resolution by the way (links to product pages in first post on this page). But they seem to be irrelevant. I'm still using MacPro 6,1.

Right now I found (with boot I mean with proper working gfx):

I can boot with either Monitor A or B connected to Output 2 via HDMI (tomorrow I'll try if DVI will work) if the correct OS X version is set in the Clover boot options and I set the flag nvda_drv=1. Maybe it will work without the correct OS X version set after a few more reboots - but I'll test that later.

After that I can plugin the second monitor and the desktop is extended.

If I boot Windows or boot without setting OS X version or change the monitor that is connected to Output 2, it takes 3 restarts with the correct settings for it to work again.

With this information I was able to find older posts relating to this card.

Anyway, apparently strange issues with a 560Ti and having to reboot multiple times to have something working again that worked before were discussed years ago. 

After fixing this issue, I might do a fresh install (after creating a backup of the working install of course.)

And once more a big thank you Mr. Onlyone4ever. Without your help I would not have reached this stage. When the card is doing what it should all of the time (not after 3 restarts), I'll update the first post and make the thread as solved.

good to hear that so you finally figured out, that's how we learn and gain experience by running test, you know that if you have any doubt you can contact me any time, little by little you will start fixing any little problem that you may have left, i came to ask you if your card is dual dvi-i or dual dvi-d or a mix of both. but then i saw your post. but i'm going to write what i came to say anyway because i think this might be important

1 port dvi-i an another port is dvd-d, there is a difference between the two, dvi-i cable can work on the dvi-d port but dvi-i cable can't work on dvi-d port because it don't fit. well a picture is with a 1000 words 

24bvqs1.jpg

yes i agree avoid to flash your card i only suggested that as the last option, if nothing else works and also because of the problem you describe about the outputs. remember i give you choices but it is you who take the decisions

so when you get a chance check your cables and you card so you know what kind of connection your card have , a dvi-d cable should work on a dvi-i but is always better to use the right cable so if you have 2 dvi-d cables and your card has 1 dvi-i and 1 dvi-d get the right cable for each port, is much better like that , the reason why i'm mentioning this, is because what you said about the problem with 1 of the monitors and remember i told you we can leave the monitor problem for the end, so that maybe might be the reason why you have that problem

i'm not saying is that but there is a possibility, you can check if that is the case

i hope you can finally have everything working properly i wish you the best of luck , i also want to thank you too because i had fun trying to help you 

"if the correct OS X version is set in the Clover boot options"

do you have your kext install in the right os folder

if you are using El Capitan you have to put your kext inside folder 10.11

i'm mentioning this just in case

later  :plane:  :fishing:

never mind about dvi-i and dvi-d i already check and your card is dual dvi-i

ok, I doubt I'll be able to help other with their problems (maybe in one year :P ) but I would like to continue sharing because I think that thanks to iamtheonlyone4ever, this thread actually contains information that is helpful for others.

I'm still not at a stage where I can write a summary in my initial post ... but what happened ... like probably many, I was feeling one with the title of this site.

The card's DVI are DVI-I, i.e. digital and analog signals so I can use a passive DVI/VGA adapter to go into the VGA input of a monitor (I have two old 17" 4:3 with VGA which were first used with this hardware). So now that we have that...

The night after the last post, where it was running with both monitors (had booted with one and after login plugged in the second), I could not get it to run no matter what. I must have done about 20+ reboots - it just would not work. So ok, lets boot Windows - nothing... dead... motherboard would not post. LEDs go on, no beeps ... LEDs indicate RAM issue.

Try booting with one stick, different slots ... nothing ... ok, life's going to change because I can't afford new HW ... 

... but wait. I have been using this MB for 8 years and it was not the newest model at the time ... and it still has the original CMOS battery CR2032 ... ok, somewhere I have a digital watch with a CR2016 ... the watch is now in pieces on my mousepad (i have large mousepad) ... the CR2016 was too loose, I was tired and did not want to start fiddling with pieces of folded paper... way too late already so I go to bed thinking about where I could get a CR2032 during lunch.

First shop "sorry ... only CR2016..." next shop "sorry... ah wait..." in the back of a drawer "last one!" ... back home later, MB posts again, Windows works, can't get EL Capitan with proper gfx (only with nv_disable=1. i.e stretched 1027x786) ... ok, let's try again tomorrow

that was yesterday... today I have off. Tried a few more times. Would not do it. OK, so what was that Chameleon and loading ROM thing? ... must be possible with Clover... no tutorials... damn ... but the Clover Wiki has the info ... copy rom to folder as described there, edit config.plist ... 2nd reboot and I'v been using El Capitan for the last few hours with gfx working. I don't know if it was because I loaded the ROM or because I replaced the CMOS battery. 

Why don't I know? Because I do know now that unless everything is as it should be, you might be able to sometimes both to a fully working desktop and other times not.

I'm not going to reboot now as at the moment everything I need I can with OS X. I might not even be able to boot again - who knows? But right now I need to use El Capitan for a bit more. Cinebench gives me 43.94 fps / 333 cb by the way. (under Windows the tables are turned with 61.48 fps / 252 cb) EDIT: <- this was due to my antivirus running. Without, same fps and 332 cb

Latest moral of my hackintsosh story (and I think it should be included in noob guides): If you want to do this on an old motherboard: Replace the CMOS battery with a new one before you start anything else!

I have not yet done fresh install with 10.11.6 but based on the fact that the CMOS battery has been a factor (the way I see it making it essentially faulty hardware) I will still do it. Even if the current config continues to work. 

EDIT: @ MODS: Thanks for moving the thread. When I first posted, I did not realise that I would end up having to fix issue specific to this card and I had been reluctant to continue posting as it no longer suited the original title and category. When I have sorted out all issues with this card, I'll write a summary for the first post and probably edit the title. And thank you you for being mods  :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT 2: I'll just keep adding here now to not bump until I'm done. So after a day of just using El Capitan as a computer, tried to reboot ... 5 tries... gave up. Going to do a fresh install with 10.11.6 tomorrow. Still need to decide on the method.

Edited by Chakonari

my friend bought an AMD card and he couldn't get more than 3 monitors working , that's when i find out about passive adapters or passive cables cables, i know about the digital and analogs terminology, to make a very long story short, the problem that he had is that his monitors didn't have display port connection, then he was converting dvi to hdmi but he didn't know that he needed a passive converter, to convert analog to digital. after i find out about everything and figured everything out for him , he order the right passive adapters with the right cables, now he have all 4 monitors working, with all four cards for a total of 16 monitors, yes some cards need passive adapters in order from them to work and turn on the extra monitor, also about your bios maybe you need it to reset your bios "restore default" but removing the battery is much better, walgreen sell those cr2032 batteries, they got duracell and energizer, yes sometimes we need to reset the bios to erase problems or errors, when you removed the battery you force a bios reset that deleted your previous configuration and create a new table or dump, maybe your bios was a little corrupted too. i don't know if nvidia cards need passive adapters for their cards but if that card is a little bit old maybe it does. once again good luck

I'm doing a reinstall with 10.11.6. I learned a lot of things that I need to do through this thread and am confident I can get it to work.

I just have to decide what installation method I will use - many option too choose from ... maybe I will try the createinstallmedia method first - there's a tutorial here. So many more to read about... .

Anyway, if you see this post where I collected some of my observations, you will see why I have to reinstall.

if you already have El Capitan installed you can use Auto DMG, then you can also download the updates and integrate those updates to that image that you are going to create, that image will have all the updates already installed on it, so you are creating a new up to the date El Capitan image, so when you install that image you don't have to install the updates because that image already have all the updates installed. also you can use carbon copy cloner to create a backup image of you new installed os, so if you ever want to start new you don't have to reinstall everything simply restore your image and you go back to the moment when you created that backup, this is not time machine this is much better, is also good to have a bootable backup in case of emergency, these are just suggestions you can also do it you way if you feel more comfortable. now you got more experience i'm sure you will get it to work. :thumbsup_anim:

Congratulations on post no. 300! :trumpet: 

Now to get back on topic: I have not yet tried with a VGA adapter to force analogue signal  but both monitors also have VGA inputs, so I should really just do it.

I was thinking of doing a backup so I'll try it with AutoDMG. But I am still thinking of a 100% clean install because like you said, too many mistakes made... I've already downloaded the 10.11.6 installer from the app store, so why not?

Also I learned that the method I used for creating the installer, was not meant for use in a VM so I probably have some issues I don't even know about. As soon as I get the current setup to boot again (I know it will work if I wait for the next full moon :P ) I'll create a new installer using the fully running system. Also I am sure I have booted with the wrong BIOS settings ... but I will connecting the card to the VGA input of the monitor first - just to be sure I have tried everything I can with the card - it might help me later and also especially as I really want to write a summary.

auto dmg will create a new clean install image for you and not only that but that image is already an installed system image, the difference is that you are not creating just a normal regular installer which you use to install the system , because after you restore that newly created auto dmg image to a hard drive the image is an already installed system image, meaning that you don't have to run the installer because the OS has already been installed, don't get confused you will know what i mean if you use it. but here i will explain the difference even better with this, if you use a normal image creator you will boot into the installer after you create that image but if you use auto dmg you will not get into the installer because auto dmg already installed the image and instead of seeing the installer like in a normal image creator tool , with auto dmg you will get into the create your account screen because the image was already installed and that's why you don't get to the installer screen, which is a much faster way to install mac os. good luck

with a regular tool = create the installer then install the system then boot the os

with auto dmg = boot the os

because auto dmg already use the installer to installed the system so all you have to do now is create you account ad login into the new system

and also if you integrated the updates during the image creation , you don't have to install updates because that image is already up to the date

all you have to do is restore that dmg image to any hard drive using disk utility and you are done your system is up and running

there is a new version of clover which includes some new fixes, let me ask you do you intend to move to sierra or are you just going to stay in EC for now. maybe you should try sierra because that if you move to sierra then you don't need nvda_drv=1 flag anymore. right now tat new version fixes the issue for me where i have to use emuvariable in sierra just to get my card to work now i don't need to use emuvariable in sierra for my card to work also i don't need to use or select nvda_drv=1 flag anymore. try the new version of clover maybe that fixes your problem. but i'm sure your problem is either the nvcap or you need to flash your card bios with a newer bios rom. i'm not going to write any more post in the other post just to avoid problems. good to be back