Clover 560Ti, reboot with inject, blank desktop with nvda_drv=1

Chakonari

34 posts in this topic

Using Chris' El Capitan USB installer, I was able to install El Capitan to HDD. I have not yet installed Clover to HDD so boot is still via USB first then HDD.

USB audio worked OOB and for network I just had to include a kext.

So next thing to sort is obviously gfx - but I can only boot to desktop with nv_disable=1.

Web driver is installed, however if I exchange nv_disable=1 for nvda_drv=1, the screen goes into no signal sleep mode - but only if I do not select to inject Nvidia.

If I select inject Nvidia, either in clover boot options or via config.plist, the system reboots - I have not taken a photo yet but I noticed the system uptime in nanoseconds message (followed by more.).

I have not yet tried any of the fixes for blank screen and reboot, because none of the posts I found specifically mentioned the case described above (blank with nvda_drv=1 AND reboot with inject)

I'm using MacPro3,1 as model due to motherboard and CPU.

I don't know the combination of the problem means I should try a specific fix. Currently I'm leaning to the modifying of AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext - still have to learn how, but I know that for many it's a blank screen fix.

DVI and HDMI are electrically parallel on this card. So it can't be an output port issue - though I don't have a cable to try.

If anyone has encounter this specific combination of problems with Nvidia and the Web Driver - any pointers, hints or help would be very much appreciated (Otherwise I'll just start trying and hope to remember what fixed it - if I manage to not break anything else along the way :D )

you only need to modify AppleGraphicsControl.kext is you use mac pro bios 6.1 and i think another model is the iMac, why don't you try changing your bios to mac pro 5.1 and see if it works, for EC use nv_disable=1 to boot the system if no web drivers are installed, after you installed the web driver then you can add or use nvda_drv=1 , i don't think you need to use inject nvidia with that card, also if you have onboard video make sure is disable on the bios, i think your problem is the smbios or the bios configuration in your board, do not use csm video on the bios if you have your bios in EUFI mode and do not install csmvideodxe64 in clover.

it might not be important but you should try installing the boot loader directly to the hard drive, just in case, are you booting from a vga connection, maybe that's the whole problem like a bad nvcap value or something like that, when you get the black screen , press cap lock and see if it lights up. i'll be back later. good luck

Hi you The Only One 4ever. :)

Thanks for your reply. The reason I had tried with and without injecting, is because some people had to depending on the OSX version. With El Capitan the only thing I read with this card was that it works OOB (install Web Driver, set nvda_drv=1 boot flag and done) - but not for me. As I used Chris' installer and have not done any funky modifications, I figured it should work for me too.

I'll try MacPro5,1 - which I had not even considered as the all appear to have shipped with a HD 5770... and maybe some other models if it does not work

i have used mac pro bios 5.1 with many nvidia cards and it has always work, if your cpu is that one in the description, i have use core 2 duo 775 with mac pro bios 5.1 and it works, right now i have an x99 motherboard with socket 2011 v3 and i'm running mac pro bios 6.1 , yes i have to patch AppleGraphicsControl.kext. also how many pic-e slots you board has, make sure you have your card connected to the main one and not to a 16x pic-e slot that run at 4x , there are some 775 boards like that, that have 2 pic-e slots but 1 run at 16x and the other one runs at 4x 

edit

make sure your video card is installed in the white pic-e slot and not in the yellow one. also check what i told you about the CAPS LOCK in the keyboard, that will tell you if is a video signal problem, if it lights up off and on , maybe all you need is and hdmi cable or a dvi adapter, maybe the problem is just the vga. when you get the black screen press CAPS LOCK and look if is turning off and on

v4mm3k.jpg

i don't remember much about mac pro bios 3.1 because it been a long time since the last time i use them but i remember very good about mac pro bios 5.1 and i know about mac pro bios 6.1 because i been using mac pro bios 6.1 for the last 3 years, the first bios i use was 3.1 and i used them for 1 or 2 years then i moved on to mac pro bios 5.1 and use the for like 2 or 3 years, and i know you don't need AppleGraphicsControl.kext if you use mac pro bios 5.1 in fact it will do more harm than good, in some systems you can still boot with AppleGraphicsControl.kext even if you are using mac pro bios 5.1 but in some other systems it will cause a kernel panic, the same goes for the problematic files, while is recommended to remove those files, some system can still boot even if you still have those files in your system, while some others system won't be able to boot at all unless you remove those files, so i think is better to remove all the problematics files before changing to mac pro bios 5.1 , if you already switch to mac pro bios 5.1 and you can still boot your system you need to remove those files anyway and if you haven't switch yet, simply run these files before you change to mac pro bios 5.1

then tell me if you still get the black screen, after you run these then you will be able to switch to mac pro bios 5.1 without nothing to worry about

ok i double check the setup to make sure i was remembering correctly and my mind is not playing tricks on me, so i was remembering correctly you do not need AppleGraphicsControl.kext for mac pro 5.1 smbios and maybe most likely you don't need it either for mac pro smbios 3.1. all you need to do is run the files that i sent you and reboot, you black screen is probably being cause because you have AppleGraphicsControl.kext in S/L/E 

i'm sure that if you download my hack and run remove problematic file extensions, it will tell you that you need to remove AppleGraphicsControl.kext even if you are running mac pro smbios 3.1, so to set the record straight , you need to remove it if you are using mac pro smbios 3.1 and mac pro bios 5.1 , you only need AppleGraphicsControl.kext if you are using mac pro bios 6.1 and the file has to be patch, AppleGraphicsControl.kext is also require to be patch for other smbios. but don't need to be present it or patch for your system smbios definition.

i hope you can understand me because my english is not perfect, if you have any doubt about anything just ask. :thumbsup_anim:

Mac Pro 5.1 Fix.zip

• Like 1

Thanks and stuff:
Thank you very much for uploading your hack - I've downloaded but not yet used it yet as I feel I should try to do it manually first. When doing something new to me like this and there's a script that will save me lot of headache, I try to do what a script does manually first (because I like this kind of headache :P ) - and then probably end up using the script anyway because I missed a step or did something the wrong way around ... but at least then I can usually compare the result of the script to what I had done. What exactly does your hack do?

Also no problem with your English at all :thumbsup_anim:

The problem(s) after installing WebDriver and trying to booth with nvda_drv=1:

When the monitor stops getting signal, the desktop is there. I can enter password... HDD becomes active. After it stops, if I press the Esc key a sound is played and I can also shut down (without seeing anything until the last messages about teardown time etc appear)

• The card is in the correct slot.
  • Tried HDMI - still blank (expected with this card as HDMI and DVI are supposedly the same connector internally. Also the HDMI connector is the 2nd output of the card - i.e. output 1 is DVI only)
  • If using anything other than MacPro3,1 I have to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext - otherwise kp/reboot with AppleGraphicsControl.kext
  • Added Mac model to config section in info.plist (kept opening the wrong one at first and wondering why there is no config section  :hysterical: )
  • Virtualisation technology on or off in the BIOS shows no difference (thought I should mention as it is often mentioned).
  • I also tired injecting Nvidia (for no logical reason other than hoping it might show me something about the problem), it lead to kp with IOBluetoothFamily.kext. After deleting that, injecting Nvdida leads but that leads to kp with NVDAStartupWeb.

the kext that i uploaded to you do exactly the same thing that my hack does but instead of being inside an app, they are install packages

remove intel and remove ati are to remove the unnecessary graphic kexts that are in your system, since you have a nvidia graphic card you don't need the other graphics kexts, that also help avoiding problems

the other kexts are to fix system stability and remove problematic kext when using some mac pro bios and is recommended to delete those kexts

the packages are safe , you can download vietnam tool and go inside and look for the packages yourself , you need to run the packages and change your system to 5.1 if you really want to troubleshoot and try to fix your system. if you encounter any cpu related KP then all you need is 1 more package which i can upload for you. or i can tell you the name and you can take out the package from inside vietnam tool

edit

is an app that is called myhack that's what i meant about my hack

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

you can use that app to remove the problematic extension from your system

because it will scan your system based on your smbios then it will tell you if something needs to be remove

but i have the packages that do exactly the samething that my hack does

because i integrate the packages to apple os using autodmg

so that way i create installers for me and for my friends or customers with all the packages already added to apple system

then and all they have to do is install the image because all the kexts and everything that is need it for the system to boot and work is already in the image.

what most people do is extract the kext out of the packages and upload the kext only , but to install that kext the person who downloaded the kext has to use kext wizard or any other similar kext utility tool but using the package you simply install the package and that install the kext

those packages are not created by me they are inside vietnam tool and some other tool that i can't mention the name here because is forbidden to even mention the name

Thanks and stuff:

Thank you very much for uploading your hack - I've downloaded but not yet used it yet as I feel I should try to do it manually first. When doing something new to me like this and there's a script that will save me lot of headache, I try to do what a script does manually first (because I like this kind of headache :P ) - and then probably end up using the script anyway because I missed a step or did something the wrong way around ... but at least then I can usually compare the result of the script to what I had done. What exactly does your hack do?

Also no problem with your English at all :thumbsup_anim:

The problem(s) after installing WebDriver and trying to booth with nvda_drv=1:

When the monitor stops getting signal, the desktop is there. I can enter password... HDD becomes active. After it stops, if I press the Esc key a sound is played and I can also shut down (without seeing anything until the last messages about teardown time etc appear)

• The card is in the correct slot.
  • Tried HDMI - still blank (expected with this card as HDMI and DVI are supposedly the same connector internally. Also the HDMI connector is the 2nd output of the card - i.e. output 1 is DVI only)
  • If using anything other than MacPro3,1 I have to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext - otherwise kp/reboot with AppleGraphicsControl.kext
  • Added Mac model to config section in info.plist (kept opening the wrong one at first and wondering why there is no config section  :hysterical: )
  • Virtualisation technology on or off in the BIOS shows no difference (thought I should mention as it is often mentioned).
  • I also tired injecting Nvidia (for no logical reason other than hoping it might show me something about the problem), it lead to kp with IOBluetoothFamily.kext. After deleting that, injecting Nvdida leads but that leads to kp with NVDAStartupWeb.

you need to either run my hack remove problematic extensions or install the packages to fix your problem, so you already know that you have to remove AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from your system but i know that is not the only file you have to remove. because there are like 2 or 3 more depending on your system, that's why you get a KP with AppleGraphicsControl.kext because you also need to remove that file from S/L/E the problem is that if you choose to do it manually and you delete only 2 when you suppose to delete 3 then you are going to get a KP and the system is not going to boot and your card is not going to work.

Than you very much for all the information. I haven't tried your app yet because I still want to give a go manually. I already felt 'guilty' when using Chris' USB Installer.

Since your first post, I have only been making changes with 5,1 (and then using others just to see what happens).

A few weeks ago I did not even think I would be trying this and it's also about the process of getting everything to work.

ok when i get a chance i will tell you what files you have to remove manually from S/L/E then if you are using clover all you have to do is change your bios definition to mac pro 5.1 or stay with 3.1, if you already have iMessage working and you have your serial registered then stay with 3.1 but you hardware is compatible with 5.1 and it will perform better with mac pro bios 5.1, so is a total of 4 files including the one from the cpu if you change to mac pro bios 5.1 and a total of 3 files if you stay with bios 3.1 , the problem is that i already deleted those files from my system , you already know 2 but there is one more that i don't remember right know, but i can tell you everything tomorrow because i will have to make an installation on a spare drive to find out the files names so you can delete them manually simply by searching them by name, don't worry i understand you like feeling safe , there is nothing wrong with that and nobody can say nothing about it either, so i will adjust to your needs , i will come back tomorrow with the info.

Hey thanks for all the help and information.

When I first looked into 'your' file I opened a different one and of course it made no sense because it was something else. :poster_oops: 

... not only had I misunderstood 'my hack' I also was looking at the contents of the wrong file :wallbash:

Just looked into what is really your file and went "Aaaaah." :idea:  I really need to remember to be more careful when tired. Will try later  and update - I have been using 5,1 since your first post by the way. Only tried other models after making changes and then reverted back.

I've not registered anything yet(re. iMessages...). Wanted to make sure all hardware is working as it should first. Anyway I thought I should let you know  misunderstood an important part of what you were telling me because I opened the wrong file.

haha ok no problem i understand but i already wrote the guide so im just going to post it anyway, is good to hear that you switch to mac pro bios 5.1 , im just going to post the 5.1 part of the guide and i'm going to delete the 3.1 because you already switched, this will make the guide short easier to work and understand

this is for mac pro bios 5.1 

you have to manually remove all these 5 files from System/Library/Extensions before you reboot your pc

so remove the files , change the bios to Mac Pro 5.1 then reboot

these are the files that you have to manually remove from System/Library/Extensions

AppleGraphicsControl.kext

AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext

tell me if you finally got your card to work, if you don’t have it working after doing all this then tell me what flags you are using and what boot loader you are using, remember to click on web drivers so make sure the web drivers are selected on nvidia driver manager

good luck i hope you get it to work , remember you asked me how you can do it yourself manually without using any tool , so i explained the best i could i know it might look and it seems like a lot but is actually very simple , just take your time, after you done this then it will be much easier to get your card to work

edit 

ok that was before i read your last post, you can skip that if you already install all the packages , that is just the way to do it manually without using the packages , is technically the samething, same result just different method , i created an all in one installer using a mac app called packages , what that app does is take all the packages and make 1 single package so when you install that single package, you are installing all the packages at once, this is much better and faster than having to install 6 packages 1 by 1 , i use this package for Mac Pro Bios 5.1, this is the same thing that i uploaded before but this one contains the cpu fix and is an all in one package.

6 In 1.zip

OK, so the only ones I had not removed manually were UpstreamUserClient and CPUPowerManagement.

I ran the 6 in 1 after restoring the manually deleted kexts (so the packages can find the things they want to delete) - just to see if I missed any files and to take it of the list of tried things.

Sadly still the same symptom - I also uninstalled/reinstalled the web driver. Even without the web driver, as soon as I remove nv_disable=1, I get a no signal desktop. So I am back down to:

No matter if web driver installed or nvda_drv=1 is added or removed, as soon a I boot without nv_disable=1, I get a no signal desktop.

The Web Driver shows as enabled in the Nvidia Driver Manager (when booting with nv_disable) but under About this Mac it says Nvidia Chip Model with 5MB. Under System Report -> Hardware, the correct vendor and device ID are shown for the card but the wrong VRAM(5MB instead of 1024. Adding VRAM=1024 in config.plist makes no difference).

Using Clover. USB installer created with Chris' Clover OS X El Capitan USB on a VM running El Capitan on Windows 7 host

Boot flags
(added dart=0 just yesterday. Also boots with npci=0x3000 and without rootless=0 (clover appears to set it if not included anyway)

-v dart=0 nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0

I am beginning to think I made some fundamental error during install - I don't know enough to understand if something I did or did not do earlier on could cause this symptom.

ok add this flag to clover pcirootuid=1 that flag is not listed in clover you have to manually enter that flag in custom flags and press enter, if that don't work then the only thing left to try is the patched version of AppleGraphicsControl.kext , go to about this mac, system report, software and tell me the system version, so i can upload the right file for you to install it using kext wizard. make sure you re using the latest version of clover and you are not injecting any video device, also make sure if you have onboard video that you onboard video is disable in the bios, you are doing fine we almost there

this is what i need you to try and tell me , when you get the black screen , press cap lock in the keyboard and see if the light turn on , some keyboard also have light in num lock. that is very important and that will tell me if you need the patched version of AppleGraphicsControl.kext or not.

i wil comeback and see your results , also don't use npci=0x3000

use npci=0x2000

these flags are correct

-v dart=0 nv_disable=1 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0

simply add the custom flag

pcirootuid=1 

some boards need that flag for the graphic card to work

after you add the custom flag then use nvda_drv=1 and if you get the black screen do what i told you about the keyboard and if the light turn off and on then all you need is the patched version of AppleGraphicsControl.kext

ok, added psirootuid=1 (thought it was not needed for Clover) - no change.

Caps lock goes on and off when the screen is blank (I had thought mentioning that I can enter password and shut down blindly had answered that, which is why I did not mention it).

No onboard video.

System version 15D21 (10.11.3) - I have the combo update to 10.11.6 but not yet installed.

Also to confirm: I am using MacPro5,1.

I am NOT using the latest version of Clover as I used Chris' Installer with Clover V2.3k r3320 - so I will have to learn how to update it. Let me know if I have to do that before proceeding.

For some reason my USB audio device now gets turned off during boot (when the string of ++++++... appears) but it works fine if I unplug an plug back in. Before it just worked - not a problem I need to solve now but maybe it tells you something.

for mac pro bios 5.1 without installing the updates "a quick test"

go to your hard drive and look for a folder named backup 

go inside that folder and you see another folder called kext 

go inside that folder and you are going to see all the files that you moved from from S/L/E when you ran 6 in 1

copy paste AppleGraphicsControl.kext to your desktop 

use kext wizard to install the AppleGraphicsControl.kext to S/L/E

no need to reboot 

now run the tool that i uploaded to you

at the end it will ask you to reboot do do

i hope you don’t get a KP using AppleGraphicsControl.kext in mac pro bios 5.1 because if you do then you have to change your bios to mac pro bios 6.1

ok good but is not psirootuid=1 is pcirootuid=1

my apologies i asked you a question that you already answer i been doing a lot lately and it seems that i forgot about that detail

for mac pro bios 6.1

change your bios to mac pro 6.1

install the combo update 10.11.6

install the security update SecUpd2016-001ElCapitan.pkg

print this or write this down in case you get a KP after the system finished installing the update

if you get a KP boot in single user mode and run these commands

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil repairPermissions /

run the 6 in 1 but uncheck AppleGraphicsControl.kext and backup intel cpu leave everything else check

run the tool it will ask you to reboot at the end

reboot

i'm sure your graphic card will work if you use mac pro bios 6.1 and the patched version of AppleGraphicsControl.kext

sorry i know things are a bit out of sync but i'm trying to put everything back in order again

because you need to install the updates and i know you need to change your bios again but everything will pay off at the end

mac pro bios 6.1 is better than 3.1 and 5.1 is like low, medium and high

remember to boot with nv_disable=1 until you run the tool and it ask you to reboot after that then use nvda_drv=1 and make sure web driver are selected in nvidia driver manager

AGDPfix.zip

yes, I did use pci... not psi... (I always copy paste when using code and also check other sources to compare before using) .. just a typo here.

Sadly even after the update and also running the fix (I noticed that after the update deleted kexts were back) ... still the same.

Maybe I should get a 10.11.6 and make a new installer and start again ... which Mac version for SMBios would you suggest?

did you download the new web drivers after you ran the update 

did you tried using mac pro bios 6.1 because the patch file is for mac pro bios 6.1

so did you installed combo update then you installed the security update, right

if you ran the security update then you need this web driver

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107369/en-us

use mac pro bios 6.1 run the 6 in 1 uncheck appleGraphicsControl.kext and backup intel cpu leave everything else check

run the fix tool reboot

now install the web drivers and reboot one last time

make sure you use nvda_drv=1 this time

you have to use mac pro bios 6.1 with the patch version of appleGraphicsControl.kext

ok i went to check your card and i remember something very important, your card is dual dvi right but it also has mini hdmi conector , so what connection are you using right now , go back to step one for a moment re create the step that you get the black screen but you can shut down you system blindly like you said before, after you shut down you pc change the cable to the other dvi conector if you are using the dvi connection and try to login again, if that don't work use any other connection in your card if you have the cable, remember to turn off the system first then change the cable, so when you turn on the system it detects the connection, then try to log into the system again, the point here is to try all the other connection available with any cable that you might have, some times switching the inputs fixed the black screen problem, if you try this today and nothing work , i think that is bette to star all over from 0 but changing the video connection helps, also have you ever update you card bios but we definitely leave that as last option, if changing the cables and the connection don't work then try with the patch version of appleGraphicsControl.kext and mac pro bios 6.1 

what i like is that you don't give up i admire that, i don't give up either eventually we will find the solution

How could I not keep trying with your help? :)

yes, yes and yes. I also ran the AGDPfix after updating. 

Correct web driver version is installed - had forgotten at first but got a pop-up after update reboot. The update via Nvidia Manager ran but did not actually update - so did it manually.

Had not yet run the 6 in 1 patch again because I thought that was only needed in case of KP (which only happens if I set to inject Nvidia and from what I understand is something I don't need to do)

When wanting to run the patch now I saw it does not have an appleGraphicsControl option like you mentioned in your last post. 

There are PolicyControl, TyMCE, UpstreamUserClient, IntelCPU and the ATIRadeon and Intel HD.

I also had a look at the info.plist in AppleGraphicsControl…c…p… AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy and there were a couple of ‘config2’ that had not been charged to ‘none’, so changed those manually (copy to desktop, edit, reinstall with kext wizard), but still the same.

I always have 2 monitors connected. The second output is DVI and HDMI(shared connector) I have tried both - though everything I can see is always on the screen connected to output 1 of the card. 

So yeah. I still have the instructions in your last post to try. So now I need to know:

+ What the name of the option besides backup intelcpu is that I should deselect when running the 6 in 1 fix. 
+ For driver installation after fix/reboot, should I uninstall the existing driver or just run the installer again?

What the name of the option besides backup intelcpu is that I should deselect when.

For driver installation after fix/reboot, should I uninstall the existing driver or just run the installer again?

these 2 questions i think i understand the the second one

if you mean the web drivers, then you don't have to uninstall the old version, you can install the new version over the old one

do you have SIP disable

do you monitors have hdmi so you can try using with an hdmi cable if you have one 

here is the patched version of OS X 10.11.6 (15G1004) install it using kext wizard

if you installed the security update then that is your system version and that is the right file for that version

so you are still in 5.1 right

if you are in 5.1 and you don't get cpu kernel panic then you don't have to use backup intelcpu

only deflect these 2 

AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

backup intelcpu

if you are in 5.1 , the other 4 has to be check or mark

​you are suppose to remove AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy if you use 5.1 but since we are running a test

that's why you are installing it to test if that fixes the black screen

but really the patch version of AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy is for mac pro bios 6.1

​so you have to change your bios or try with and HDMI cable before changing your bios 

​but you have to disconnect your 2 dvi cables from the back of the video card then only use the Hdmi cable

EDIT 19th Sep 2016: The information re the monitors below is incorrect - it is simply a matter of not every reboot being the same unless everything is fixed.

With 5,1 I got kp so I have been using 6,1. Will try 5,1 again with your 6 in 1 (minus 2) ... so if I understood correctly to the 2 options to de-select are PolicyControl and backup Intel CPU.

I need to go sleep and then to work. Will be back later.

EDIT: Of course I did not go to sleep. Had to try something else ... after replying it struck me DOH! of course I have to unplug the other monitor to force output to HDMI on this card.

this is being written on El Capitan at full monitor res and all the fancy transparency effects...

Sadly Apple does not like my BenQ VW2245 with VA panel which is my main screen -system reboots when the login should appear.

My iiyama ProLite E2208 on the other hand works well.

I had reverted back to MacPro3,1 by the way. Later I will try others to see if they like my BenQ - otherwise this is the next problem to solve - get it to work ... or maybe the monitor is just incompatible for some reason and will not work ... still, more to try :D  and although not practical for regular use, I can just switch plugs to play with El Capitan  B)

ok i understand so you did use mac pro bios 6.1 that is excellent news , ok have your rest and when you are ready to continue, tomorrow, the next day or when ever, you can send me a private message so i will receive an email, that way i will know that you started working on the problem again, my suggestion to you is your own suggestion, download a new copy of EC 10.11.6 so we can start fresh with a new untouched system because we have made many modifications to that one, the one you are using right now, you can also use an spare hard drive if you have one, that way you don't have to setup the whole system like installing apps and stuff like that, so you already have the new web drivers and you have the patch file for EC after the security update. simply download the security update and run it after you clean install EC

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1891?locale=en_US

then run the 6 in 1 minus 2

install the patch version that you have there using kext utility

install the web drivers and reboot 

remember to use mac pro bios 6.1 in this test this very important and remember to use nvda_drv=1 after you install the web drivers. 

that has to work. do it like that and you see that it will work.it has to

you gave me a good news when you said that you were able to use mac pro bios 6.1 because now you can use the patched version of AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy which is for MPB 6.1

EDIT 19th Sep 2016: The information re the monitors below is incorrect - it is simply a matter of not every reboot being the same unless everything is fixed.

When I wrote the last post, I was on 3,1 (still is right now - no kexts deleted, i.e. all restored - it was an attempt to 'start fresh' without fresh installation. I also had a copy of my first config.plist. Backing up files before making changes has been created a lot of useless and a few very valuable files!)

Of course I had to test this strange gfx card output port and monitor issue during my lunch break - which meant quickly changing plugs and restating a few times.

The gfx card has 2 outputs: Output 1: DVI only, Output 2: DVI or HDMI (shared)

I have 2 montiors: A and B (the BenQ and iiyma mentioned in my previous post).

Until last night I was only testing with the BenQ (Monitor A). From early on, as I did not know it could make such a difference, I did everything with Monitor A on Output 1 and Monitor B on output 2 via HDMI.

Then last night I tried only Monitor B on Output 2 and everything worked. Restarted twice to make sure I was not dreaming. It worked

During lunch today(not much time but had to try.), I first tried Monitor B via DVI instead of HDMI - blank screen followed by reboot a few seconds later (when the login screen would normally appear).

Switched cable so it was now using HDMI (Monitor B on Output 2) - again blank screen and reboot  Checked cable/connections, restarted, made sure I was not making a typo with nvda_drv=1. Everything working.

Whilst everything was still on, i.e I had desktop with properly working gfx on Monitor B, I unplugged the cable from Monitor B and plugged into A - and I got a working desktop on Monitor A via HDMI from Output 2 (keeping in mind that last night the system would reboot when started with Monitor A on Output 2).

So I restarted with Monitor A on Output 2 via HDMI - same like last night - start, blank screen, reboot.

Then I plugged Monitor B back into Output 2 via HDMI. Had time for 3 restarts - 2 warm one cold. Did not work at all, i.e all 3 times blank screen and reboot. I have not yet tested again but thought I should post this first.

As I did not make any changes when doing this testing (apart from exchanging nv_disable=1 for nvda_drv=1 and after the first time where I might have made a typo, I can exclude it for all other times) I am not able to see the logic other than that the system does not always behave the same way under the same conditions and I have not done enough testing to see any pattern of what works when.

So far I can only confirm: Successful start is only (but not always) possible with Monitor B on Output 2 via HDMI. I can only get a working desktop displayed on Monitor A, if I take it from Monitor B - i.e. unplug cable from Monitor B whilst that is working and plug in to Monitor A.

In this post restart means that I did it manually and reboot is when the system did it on it's own.

I am guessing if I had worked with only Monitor B on Output 2 via HDMI from the beginning, I would have never started this thread but another one about gfx card connections and monitors.

Anyway it looks like the problem is output connector and monitor compatibility. Will update when fixed or if I actually find a pattern (I have to consider warm and cold restarts as well as what was plugged in to what during the previous starts). Hopefully the fix will emerge before the pattern.

First a bit more research on the matter of monitor compatibility and outputs somehow I have a feeling the Mac version selected for SMBios will play a role in this. I'll try MacPro 6,1 first without and then with an updated AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy next. It's not about not wanting to reinstall or having to find a solution without reinstalling - it's about having fun trying things and learning stuff on the way. :)

Ok as this thread is at the top (last post in the category was mine), I'm writing a new post instead of editing as I won't be bumping...

I am writing this on a working desktop with MacPro6,1, patched kext (no 'config2'), no kexts deleted on Monitor A connected to Output 2 via HDMI I had to boot with:

Monitor 2 plugged in to Output 2 via HDMI (and then switch over the plugs):

However: When testing with Monitor 2, not only did I have to set the boot flag but also the correct OS X version - it did not seem necessary before as it did not influence what I was trying previously. It also requires two reboots with the correct OS X version set in the Clover boot menu, before it works again. So if I set nvda_drv=1 but do not set the OS X version, I run into problems. Sadly I don't yet know how to set this permanently.

So I'm going to try a few reboots with these things in mind and Monitor A on Output 2 via HDMI - whole thing would make more sense if it works (or there are really hardware compatibility issues with Monitor A). But first I need to play with this working desktop for a bit :D

good at least there is some progress now but don't try to force it on an old already modified system , if you switch to MCP6.1 you have to use the patched version of AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext , start by installing a new system, only install only 1 monitor for now in the dvi port that you know that it works, then after you got everything working then we can move on to try to fix the other monitor or have both monitor working at the same time , mirror or extended. 

since the monitors are not the same model or same brand that might be a problem because maybe you have 1 that is 1080 and the other one is only 1360x768 then if you use 1080 resolution for both the 2nd monitor is not going to work because it doesn't support that resolution , when that happens you have to lower 1 monitor resolution to match the other monitor highest resolution in this case you will have to lower the 1080 to 1360x768, this is just an example, also there are way to force a monitor to a higher resolution but we can leave that for later at the end

my suggestion to you is for you to flash your card bios with the latest version available since you have gigabyte brand like me , a safe way to do it is by installing windows without installing nvidia drivers , go to gigabyte web site and download the tool to upgrade your card bios from the internet , i don't want you to select the wrong bios version and brick your card, it will scan your card bios and automatically select the right bios for you then all you have to do is hit flash

some cards like mines have dual bios that means that you have to flash the card twice, if you bought your card like 2 or 3 years ago and you never flash your card that might fix your monitor output problem and here is why

i have 2 identical nvidia 970 and in my first nvidia 970 dvi wasn't turning on at all, then i flash the bios and when i rebooted the monitor turn on all by itself then i install nvidia drivers and got everything working, mirror, extended,  just in case i had to use windows that day just for that , i don't like windows that's why i got a hackintosh ,haha , then i went to mac and the monitor worked too and i never had any problem again with extra monitors or a card output not working or not turning on, so the problem was that i need to flash the card with a new bios

but just like the extra monitor you can leave this option for the end, if you really want to avoid flashing your card bios , but maybe you are prolonging the inevitable, sometimes we refuse to do things and at the end we have to do it anyway then we say if i would it known then i would it have done it from the beginning and i would it have save my self all those days that i wasted killing myself.

trust me i wouldn't recommend you to flash your bios unless i know that is necesarry, another thing is that i know you can do it. but if you don't want to i understand.