[Guide] Z820 - El Capitan The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

200 posts in this topic

Anyone else not able to shutdown or restart properly with this card installed? I boot verbose all the time just to make sure everything looks ok, usually when I shutdown I'll get a little more verbose script about shutting down. With this PCI card installed the screen goes black, the computer stays on, then reboots with a 929-fatal mca error. 

Hi, try to delete LPC sensor plugin from your fake.smc kext

Hello everybody !

Thanks to Bilbo's excellent guide i've managed to install Sierra 10.12.6 on my z820.

Everything runs fine (except usb 3 of course).

Attached are my kexts for S/L/E (already patched) and a Link to my Clover EFI folder.

FYI my z820 is the v1 (BIOS 3.91) and i have 2 E5 2670 v1 Cpus and 64GB ram installed.

CLOVER FOLDER:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uyrw0FaqrIoBa8HZlBdxRQdjpHXyj8n8

post-885315-0-29936500-1517259476_thumb.png

post-885315-0-58925900-1517259487_thumb.png

Used Kexts in :S:L:E.zip

post-885315-0-25151100-1517260874_thumb.png

Interesting. High Sierra seems very unstable with every update , but I'd like to try with it , only to test the graphic perfomance, anf if the new versions drivers work better. But I get a KP booting from usb installer.

Hi, after many many hours high sierra 10.13.3 successfully installed  :thumbsup_anim:. it seems that everything works correctly (PM, SAS, thunderbolt...)

more details soon...

Sounds great !

Last time i tried i got kp booting from usb too and went on to try Sierra.

Bilbo, I understand, but here's a brief recollection of what I went through.

After changing CPU's OSX would freeze on CPU declaration. (Obviously I had removed the old DSDT and SSDT) I used my other mac to create a new USB clover disk to start testing, and extracted the fresh SSDT's and DSDT.

After performing all your tweaks from this thread on the DSDT and SSDT, it would still not work, so I researched the problem and there was some mention somewhere of using a bare minimum info for CPU part of SSDT for a similar kind of error. (also the SSDT-1 CPU info would get populated in a non-sequential order and using CPU numbers above what OSX likes)

That did not work, so I used what I could extract from the new SSDT-1 and compared it to your working E5-v2 DSDT (the CPU info at the bottom)

After cleaning up more stuff and removing all but the main declarations, and re-ordering and re-numbering the CPU's it worked, I managed to boot.

I then proceeded to test more by going back to my Mavericks install, and it worked, so I started messing around with PM.

Mavericks would freeze after 30 seconds or so, (like before adding the modified -maybe rolled back- AppleAcpiPlatform.kext) and 10.11.16 would only get me 2 or 3 states, so I methodically reintroduced the information I removed from the SSDT until I found that it is the If statements on each CPU that would for some reason get the system a kernel panic, so I removed the option and just left in the result of a positive.

Then, voila! PM is working at least on 10.11.16, but I don't know if it isn't getting all the states up to 4GHz or HardwareMonitor doesn't report very accurately. After some investigation, it looks like these CPU's clock a maximum of 4GHZ on single core and 3.66 on multicore, which is what I'm getting, so all is good.

The performance feels a lot faster though, and the benchmarks are very close or better than their Windows counterparts.

Would be interested in checking in 10.12, but I use my Z820 for audio and there are a lot of incompatibilities on that OS, so will wait to see what others get.

My SSDT edit may not be "perfect", but it works, it is stable, and I've spent enough time on it for now.

My clover config.plist is for all settings a copy of yours, using smbios macpro 6,1.

I had a patched AIPM kext from before but since I was using sandy CPU, I had to revert to original and re-patch.

My Bios is the most current 3.91 rev A.

Everything else is the same as in this guide, and the only trick to get it to boot is to fix the DSDT with the stripped CPU info from SSDT-1. (info has to be in the DSDT or you get a KP)

One important thing is the name or numbering of each CPU core. In my case they would get weird numbers that OSX didn't like, so I modified each one so they were sequential from CPU0 to CPUF and so on... and then added the socket 0 and socket 1, as they would not get assigned from the original SSDT-1.

I've attached my DSDT and SSDT files.

Hi hugodlc

Can you post your S/L/E moddified kexts and EFI Folder in order to compare?

I have the same Bios and CPUs as you, but can't boot yet 10.11.6 with your DSDT and SSDT files.

Maybe because don't have correct AppleAcpiPlataform.kext or how to boot to patch it.

I tried to boot with usb installer and clean bilbo clover options and kext but Kernel Panic because invalid CPU number from injected DSDT from clover.

If I put your DSDT and SSDT in clover usb installer I get a freeze in ACPI declarations. 

Thanks,

Z820 V2

2xE5-2667 v2

64 GB RAM

Quadro K4000

jordi,

if the cpu id injection cause problems, just left the value empty (if you use clover configurator) in config plist . It's weird, because 0x0a01 value is for all xeon ivybridge . 

For pm questions, have you patched the AICUPUMP kext? If you didn't it, you can't use any ssdt for PM. (And you can´t use the dsdt because the aicpump patch should be disabled)

Hi Bilbo,

Thanks for the great work on this guide. I'd like to help for the next version of the guide. Where are you at ? Still targeting Sierra or is High Sierra doable ?

I have both a z620 and a z820 at hands, could try to get a z420 too in order to adapt the guide for all models. It's my understanding we're also not too far apart.

I have an additional issue regarding the installation : I'm using Samsung 950 PRO NVMe SSDs. They provide the missing OPROM to let the workstations boot from it, but I couldn't find out which NVMe KEXT to use. Would anyone have a clue about it ?

Best regards,

Edit : never mind the NVMe issue, I'm currently doing my first Sierra install on a z820 with a Samsung 950 Pro using instructions from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready/

jordi,

if the cpu id injection cause problems, just left the value empty (if you use clover configurator) in config plist . It's weird, because 0x0a01 value is for all xeon ivybridge . 

For pm questions, have you patched the AICUPUMP kext? If you didn't it, you can't use any ssdt for PM. (And you can´t use the dsdt because the aicpump patch should be disabled)

Hi Bilbo

Maybe the Kernel Panics and reboot it's because ssdt and don't have patched the AICUPMP.kext. 

The aicpump needs to be patched on the specific procesor and motherboard or if I installed a patched kext is valid? I question this because I have tried to install aicpump kext from your Z820 package and maybe I need to get a basic install before this.

I have a El Capitan functional clone from my mac pro 5.1, then install clover and all of your Z820 stuff. But with the DSDT and SSDT from Hugodlc (Xeon E5-2667 V2) because the error CPUID 17 error should be 16 that I get if I patch my own DSDT.

post-1689998-0-05526900-1518872157_thumb.jpg

If I try to install from usb stick and your basic clover installation stuff, I get the CPUID 17 error should be 16... And it's like a loop situation like if I try to build from scratch I can't following the guide, and If I try to build the complete clover and kext stuff I think I'm missing something like patch kext that need to be done with the El Capitan running in my own Z820..

Maybe I have some basic concept confusion.

I will try more things this week, I will be happy if I can get the basic El Capitan installation without PM in order to have something to begin the build of PM

That's to maybe get  a clover config to boot with usbstick and with the hugodlc DSDT that don't  get the Kernel Panic with my CPUs

The CPU=1 , as suggest amadeusex seem doesn't solve it. 

• Like 3

The aicpump needs to be patched on the specific procesor and motherboard or if I installed a patched kext is valid? I question this because I have tried to install aicpump kext from your Z820 package and maybe I need to get a basic install before this.

I think that you can use the aicpump patched. Just check the so version. Mine is 10.11.6. Anyway, patch it is easier than you can think.Take longer explain it than do it.

Remember that you have to add the 10.11 X79PlatformPlugin.kex. Fix permission and rebuild cache (absolutely important). The kext for diagnostic c an p states is obsolote for Sierra but it's optional. Activate and deactivate some thing iin config.plist.... in short, review the guide , because is not so quick as drag and drop.

Answer the rest of your question is hard to me, because I don't know what is the problem with your cpu model .

And ,that is I'd like stress here: The specific problems that I can see with the cpu non-zero models . I can see almost a 100% of success for standard 26X0 model's users. But it seems there is a problem with 26X7 cpu models.  I'd like to ask for a little report for all user of this cpu's owners.

And I've also attached the patched drivers if you don't want Clover to patch them for you.

Thank you so much for posting these fixed drivers!  I have just spent the last couple of hours trying to get my LSI 9201-8i or 9205-8e working for the first time in my 10.13 Hackintosh.  I've been over in this thread, related to LSI and MegaRAID drivers, and the Astek drivers were posted there but they were the older ones that KP'd on High Sierra.  I had no idea if this was because of being on High Sierra, or some completely different problem.  Eventually I found my way to your post and all was revealed.. and now all works :)

I have linked that thread to your post here so others looking for LSI drivers know where to find them.  I didn't want to upload them there without your permission - but if you wanted to, that'd probably be useful as the LSI driver thread is first on Google for searches like "hackintosh lsi drivers".

Thanks again!

Hi, if you want the drives attached to the LSI Fusion adapter to show up as internal, just add this patch to the KextsToPatch section in Clover:

Hey despeinao, thanks so much for all your great fixes.

I installed this KextPatch and it has fixed my drives to show as Internal in "About This Mac" :

iHapkcS.png

However they're still orange in Finder:

p26O6h4.png

Is there any way to fix this?  I also have the Clover "External icons patch" enabled in KextsToPatch, which patches AppleAHCIPort.  But probably this doesn't help for Astek SAS.

It's not a big deal at all, but if there is another patch that would help, that would be nice.  Thanks a lot.

Is there any way to fix this?  I also have the Clover "External icons patch" enabled in KextsToPatch, which patches AppleAHCIPort.  But probably this doesn't help for Astek SAS.

It's not a big deal at all, but if there is another patch that would help, that would be nice.  Thanks a lot.

As you guess, the external icons patch has no effect on the Astek driver.

There is a way, but it cannot be done with Clover, so you have to directly modify the Astek driver:

1. Find the AstekFusion2Adapter.kext
  2. Right click and "Show Package Contents"
  3. Open the "Contents" folder
  4. Edit the info.plist file. Look for:
<dict>
  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
  <string>com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily</string>
  <key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
  <string>SASHD.icns</string>
</dict>

and replace with:

<dict>
  <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
  <string>com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily</string>
  <key>IOBundleResourceFile</key>
  <string>Internal.icns</string>
</dict>
Save it and reboot.

I have a stupid question

I am running an X99 motherboard and I have a 9361-8i SAS controller. Will this work in that environment?

If by "that environment" you mean using the Astek driver, the answer is no. Your card is a MegaRaid 12Gbit/s adapter and the driver is for 2nd generation, 6Gbit/s, FusionMPT ones.

• Like 2

Thanks so much despeinao, I am going to try that shortly.

I have one more question:  do you have any experience of booting Clover/macOS from an LSI Fusion card using the Astek driver?

As I have described in this post in Clover forum, I cannot currently boot my macOS SSD when it is on the LSI controller.  Clover starts but never shows its GUI because it cannot find an essential file.  Also if I try a Clover on a USB stick, it does not show any drives that are connected to the LSI.

I can boot Windows, Linux etc direct from the LSI, but not Clover.  I know other people are booting from MegaRAID cards OK, so it seems it should be possible?

But I only have Legacy Boot, not UEFI, and I am wondering if this is the big problem?

If you have any experience with this or advice, I would be super grateful.

Thanks again for all your great work on getting this working.

Thanks so much despeinao, I am going to try that shortly.

I have one more question:  do you have any experience of booting Clover/macOS from an LSI Fusion card using the Astek driver?

As I have described in this post in Clover forum, I cannot currently boot my macOS SSD when it is on the LSI controller.  Clover starts but never shows its GUI because it cannot find an essential file.  Also if I try a Clover on a USB stick, it does not show any drives that are connected to the LSI.

I can boot Windows, Linux etc direct from the LSI, but not Clover.  I know other people are booting from MegaRAID cards OK, so it seems it should be possible?

But I only have Legacy Boot, not UEFI, and I am wondering if this is the big problem?

If you have any experience with this or advice, I would be super grateful.

Thanks again for all your great work on getting this working.

There is a way (I'm doing it right now), but as this is off topic for this thread, I'm answering to your post in the Clover forum.

• Like 1

I think that you can use the aicpump patched. Just check the so version. Mine is 10.11.6. Anyway, patch it is easier than you can think.Take longer explain it than do it.

Remember that you have to add the 10.11 X79PlatformPlugin.kex. Fix permission and rebuild cache (absolutely important). The kext for diagnostic c an p states is obsolote for Sierra but it's optional. Activate and deactivate some thing iin config.plist.... in short, review the guide , because is not so quick as drag and drop.

Answer the rest of your question is hard to me, because I don't know what is the problem with your cpu model .

And ,that is I'd like stress here: The specific problems that I can see with the cpu non-zero models . I can see almost a 100% of success for standard 26X0 model's users. But it seems there is a problem with 26X7 cpu models.  I'd like to ask for a little report for all user of this cpu's owners.

Hi Bilbo,

At the end, Finally I have found what's blocking to load El Capitan.

The Nvidia Quadro K4000 doesn't work, no way. With nvdisable=1, nope... and with the web driver neither.

I have installed a Nvidia Titan (original) and boot at first try.

Then I have patched the ACPUPM and PM are working correctly,  from 1,4Ghz to 4.0Ghz depending load.

Geekbench 3 64bit 3500 single core and 49000 multicore.

As everybody are reporting, USB 3 not working,  and don't return the system after Sleep (blackScreen and fans not speeding up).

Do you know if the SATA is capable to load de system? I have tried connecting the first hdd to SATA and can't load the system. Maybe the Sleep issue is because Astek driver and will be interesting to try to load from SATA controller.

I haven't tried yet the Firewire.

Finally, my Z820 is very usefull thanks to your great and detailed guide.

I will try to find some tips to get sleep.

In some weeks I will try the Z820 with Protools HD and 10Gb ethernet. I'm excited to see the performance compared with the actual mac pro 5.1 room.

• Like 1

The Nvidia Quadro K4000 doesn't work, no way. With nvdisable=1, nope... and with the web driver neither.

Hi Jordidh,

Looks like you don't need it by my K4000 in a z620 works perfectly on El Capitan using the kexts that were installed in the initial 11.0 installation I did.  Updating to 11.6 broke the support but copying the 11.0 kexts over to the 11.6 installation fixed it again.  Thought it was worth posting just in case someone else with a K4000 is wondering if it's worth the effort.  Original post about it here

Bill.

Hi mates.

I'm finishing a new guide to update our machines to Sierra . I'm close to finish it. I'm in a temp install. I have to wait for some new toy, and repeat and check all again.

All is still working like under El Capitan... pros (audio, graphics, drivers controllers, PM ) and cons (USB3).  some steps has been improved. But I could say we are ready to jump to next mountain in a stable way.

A good idea could be make a dsdt cleaned and patched for us, but it depends of the bios version. Now I'am in 3.85. (I have to use some certified bios versions).  there are a lot of versions. 3.87 , 3.88, 3.90 , 3.91 ... but I'm interested specially in 3.90 and 3.91 version,  (last versions , and less work) 

So please, for those with this versions, upload your whole dsdt tables for your bios version. To extract them,---use only this method---, press f4 on boot clover screen, and then, after boot,  compress and upload the folder /efi/clover/acpi/origin .

Hi bilbo,

This is my original DSDT files from Z820 v2 and E5-2667v2. Bios 3.91 (Extracted with F4 on clover)

Z820v2 bios 3.91.zip

Hi Bilbo,

At the end, Finally I have found what's blocking to load El Capitan.

I have installed a Nvidia Titan (original) and boot at first try.

Then I have patched the ACPUPM and PM are working correctly,  from 1,4Ghz to 4.0Ghz depending load.

Geekbench 3 64bit 3500 single core and 49000 multicore.

As everybody are reporting, USB 3 not working,  and don't return the system after Sleep (blackScreen and fans not speeding up).

Do you know if the SATA is capable to load de system? I have tried connecting the first hdd to SATA and can't load the system. Maybe the Sleep issue is because Astek driver and will be interesting to try to load from SATA controller.

I haven't tried yet the Firewire.

Finally, my Z820 is very usefull thanks to your great and detailed guide.

I will try to find some tips to get sleep.

In some weeks I will try the Z820 with Protools HD and 10Gb ethernet. I'm excited to see the performance compared with the actual mac pro 5.1 room.

Jordidh,

Sorry I didn't answer before, but had no time. glad you figured it out.

I use my system with Protools HD 12 and a RME UFX firewire and it runs circles around any macpro's out there. On sessions that run at 80%CPU on macpro's they run at 35% on my Z820. :)

What I did for USB3 is I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFR2H64

and disabled the on-board USB3 from the bios, and patched the Z820's USB3 cables to this card, so the front USB3 plugs would work.

Last, the system drive is on the grey SATA connector and I have no problem booting from it.

Hi bilbo,

First of all thank you for your efforts and excellent manual.

I have obtained a z820 machine and try to switch to it from my old Hack based on Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5.
Your guide is very helpful for me, I almost get what I want from the new MoBo.

Hope that I also can help with some things in the this topic.
I saw that people have a trouble with USB3 ports on z820. Similar problems was and on my old Gigabyte. I have searched for solution and somewhere found a suggestion to use a mXHCD.kext (this kext is present in the RampageDev collection). It solved my problem on the GB MoBo.
Now I tried use it on the z820 too and I got working USB3 without errors, freezes, etc (like with GenericUSBXHCI.kext).
Yes, I still not see USB3 controller in the System Profiler, but it is not a pain for me ;)
So, try this kext too. Maybe it is that solution which you seek.

Now about my problem.
At the moment I have El Capitan installed on the external drive. I use it for testing purposes and plan to instal on the internal SSD after I will get completely working configuration.
And here is a problem. Both my SSDs are connected to SATA AHCI 6Gb/s ports, and I not see them under MacOS. I try different solutions from web, but still haven’t results.
Can anybody help me? Maybe solution is already present in this topic, but I was inattentive and just skip it? I will be very grateful for any links or information.

Thanks in advance.