GIGABYTE RX 460 2g "Partial" support in Sierra

Gigamaxx

68 posts in this topic

Just a Guess, but the other 2 IDs in Baffin EO and FF could be future card definitions or assigned to P 10.

Maybe mobile models.

The RX 470 runs much more stable than the 480 in Baffin.    

attachicon.gifBench 470.JPG  RX 470 4gb Gaming, in Sierra.  Its right up there with a windows benchmark of an 8gb model.

A 8gb model does not mean it will have more higher results in benchamark than a 4gb model. And it is even more obvious when it comes to macOS.  :P

According to that these both cards have a same device-id, don't know how the one could be more stable than the other.  :)

All what it can be learned from this is that the drivers are not stable yet and all what we have to do is waiting Apple to finish these drivers soon as possible.  ^_^

• Like 3

Maybe mobile models.

A 8gb model does not mean it will have more higher results in benchamark than a 4gb model. And it is even more obvious when it comes to macOS. :P

According to that these both cards have a same device-id, don't know how the one could be more stable than the other. :)

All what it can be learned from this is that the drivers are not stable yet and all what we have to do is waiting Apple to finish these drivers soon as possible. ^_^

The RX 470 is a cut down version of the 480 card. I'm thinking power management issues with the drivers so far. If you choke down the circuits it can cause excessive heat and damage, and instability. My 470 runs smoothly but the 480 had very unstable benchmarks actually it never passed 6 out of 26 frames was all I could get.in uingine. Look at the power draw of the 480 and there's a bit of a difference. VRAM also adds to the total draw requirements, thus the 4gb.

My reference to the 8gb models in Windows is because I could only find one benchmark comparison for the 470 an 8gb model I think it beat it by 1 fps on ultra settings which means to me that my card is performing up to standard in Sierra.

I've noticed integrated graphics "effect" similar to Windows IGFX systems. I selected inject ATI and inject Intel in clover and connected the HDMI to the card slot and got 30 fps on Uningine then switched the cable to the board HDMI slot and ran it again, it was 29 fps on Uningine ultra settings/ tesselation extreme. The Intel 530 graphics alone can only produce a 15 fps on lower settings. Now, when I boot with only the video card connection and don't inject Intel I get 45-50 fps. The only issue is not being able to select pcie only for the card.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sort of related to this topic.

I got the following componenets:

CPU: i7 3770k

RAM: 32GB forgot what brand, 1333Mhz

Video:

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 

or

XFX RX460 (Bought yesterday in hopes of running Sierra with accelerated graphics)

HDD: 256GB Plextor SSD

Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 (yes it's quite old)

proven to work with maverick before, but on Sierra, I used the following method but won't boot up after installation with UB 7.0.1:

1) Download Sierra with macbook pro

2) formatted usb stick with GPT

3) run UB 7.0.1

4) downloaded MB onto usb drive for post-install of efi

5) turned off PC's bios' EFI protection

6) booted with USB with -v option, no other flags (using RX460)

7) post-boot, installation is fine, GPT partition on SSD, full disk.

8) reboot, using USB, but won't get past boot screen (apple logo) without -v

9) with -v, no error message, DSMOS has arrived but stuck.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? (i have basic knowledge of editing kext but not loading them)

p.s. if UB/MB not promoted/supported for the configuration, I can try something else if suggested, thanks!

Hi all, sort of related to this topic.

I got the following componenets:

CPU: i7 3770k

RAM: 32GB forgot what brand, 1333Mhz

Video:

Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 

or

XFX RX460 (Bought yesterday in hopes of running Sierra with accelerated graphics)

HDD: 256GB Plextor SSD

Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 (yes it's quite old)

proven to work with maverick before, but on Sierra, I used the following method but won't boot up after installation with UB 7.0.1:

1) Download Sierra with macbook pro

2) formatted usb stick with GPT

3) run UB 7.0.1

4) downloaded MB onto usb drive for post-install of efi

5) turned off PC's bios' EFI protection

6) booted with USB with -v option, no other flags (using RX460)

7) post-boot, installation is fine, GPT partition on SSD, full disk.

8) reboot, using USB, but won't get past boot screen (apple logo) without -v

9) with -v, no error message, DSMOS has arrived but stuck.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? (i have basic knowledge of editing kext but not loading them)

p.s. if UB/MB not promoted/supported for the configuration, I can try something else if suggested, thanks!

Your intallation methods are not supported here...

anyone wanna try this out? :P

Upgraded my mac pro tower to 10.12.1 and found these kext files updated. After a bit digging, there are references of PCI2PCIBridge and AppleDisplay.

AMDRadeon4100.kext has support for Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 GPUs so this is most likely an indicator of new Apple Display with eGPU integration comes Thursday.

AMDRadeonX4100.kext, AppleBacklightExpert.kext, Audio AUUC.kext, IOGraphicsFamily.kext, IONDRVSupport.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, System.kext were signed off at 4:19am last Wednesday - right about when the invites for the 27th event went out.

source: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-apple-display-with-egpu-integration-in-10-12-1.2008996/

Reading the posts in this thread I have the strong impression that much of the discussion is based on a misconception. Unlike PCs, Macs aren't modular systems anymore. Well, thinking of a Mac as a fully modular system might have been correct for the traditional MacPros, but any other Mac released in the last 5 years isn't. This also means that the fact that something works on an old Mac Pro has nothing to do with the situation on newer models.

Recent Macs are more like iPhones, closed systems in which every component has been carefully coordinated with each other and, of course, this has an impact on hackintoshing as it severely limits our freedom of choice building a machine. As a result, it also becomes clear that much of the research being done is just a futile effort trying to find a fix for a so called "issue" which really isn't a bug at all because it was designed that way by Apple intentionally. For example, the IGPU has always been the primary GPU in any socket 115x based Mac since 2012 which is a strong indication for the assumption that it was meant to be that way. In my opinion it is a completely wrong approach to regard this fact as an issue and trying to find a fix for it seems to me as futile as trying to find a fix for gravity.

Mieze

• 1 month later...

Would anyone be so kind to help me please. I've installed a Gigabyte rx460 2gb card and the card is not recognized by MacOS as shown in screenshots.

I must be doing something wrong but i don't get it because it's should work OOB.

thank you.

nrjdtRo.png

fL54Qxh.png

If you are using the latest clover and inject ATI you should get the name correct.     The R9 XXX is the default name given in AMD9500Controller.kext.     It is cosmetic and you have metal supported status and 30 bit color.     

You can fix it using clover injection or iHex but it won't increase performance.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here it goes.

I've just set up a new Hack with an RX 460 (Gigabyte, 4GB), and it works native with acceleration and integrated graphics set as primary with the exception of HDMI Audio. Audio comes out, but it's deep, almost like slow motion. I've scoured the internet for anyone with this problem and have only found reports of the same thing from Linux users. Any ideas?

Anyone have HDMI audio working correctly from an RX 460?

I've tried audio_cloverHDMI-120.command, and it seemed to do nothing. It's supposed to make Clover patches to enable HDMI, and it didn't seem to add anything.

Also, as was reported by @Sypack and answered by @Gigamaxx, I'm also seeing my card reported as AMD R9 XXX. I've tried playing with Clover injection settings and haven't had any luck. Everything works great with the exception of the HDMI audio with no injection. Anyone know how to patch it so RX 460 reports correctly? Apparently it's cosmetic but maybe it isn't?

Thanks,

Immo

• 2 months later...

I also have some HDMI Audio problems... With the R9 380 DSDT Patch, it works kind of. I can't regulate the volume and, as you already said, it sounds like a deep slow motion :/ 

If you are using the latest clover and inject ATI you should get the name correct.     The R9 XXX is the default name given in AMD9500Controller.kext.     It is cosmetic and you have metal supported status and 30 bit color.     

You can fix it using clover injection or iHex but it won't increase performance.

not sure in that, but thanks

not sure in that, but thanks

The injection with a recent clover does fix the video card name display issue, but on my Gigabyte RX 460 4GB, it won't even run Unigine Heaven for 10 seconds before hanging and eventually crashing. With no injection it reports the chipset as AMD R9 xxx, but runs great.

• 4 months later...

cMP 5,1 gigabyte rx 460 working out of the box with Sierra 10.12.5. Connected to samsung 4K tv but can't get sound over HDMI, using high speed hdmi cable that supports, ethernet + 32 channel sound. Display Also limited to 30hz. Was able to get sound over HDMI with original amd 5770 installed. Any suggestions?