GIGABYTE RX 460 2g "Partial" support in Sierra

Gigamaxx

68 posts in this topic

I picked up a new RX 460 yesterday and after booting up with my normal Sierra i did the Beta 7 update, and viola! its supported.

i tried my ASUS, and XFX RX 460 cards but they are not compatible and i get a boot flag when i try to load with them.

GIGABYTE VBIOS is now running close to native style in Sierra after BETA 7 update.

ANYONE have a GIGABYTE RX 480 to try out? beta 7 supports the RX 460 2 g model. i thought about this model because it doesn't have a 6 pin power connector so its likely to be a laptop compatible model. it worked and will work for you OUT OF BOX with Sierra BETA 7.

BIOS settings are primary graphics (igfx) and plug HDMI into graphics card it will go black screen during boot up but the last part will show up and you end up with log in screen. uningine went from 10-15 fps with igfx to 70+ with graphics card.

GIGABYTE for the win, no pun intended for EVGA fans.

Update: I'm having similar luck and good results with a MSI RX 470 4gb Gaming. See more posts. Higher benchmarks and decent temps.

Edited by fantomas1
Topic Title has been edited for a better relevance!
  • Like 1

I picked up a new RX 460 yesterday and after booting up with my normal Sierra i did the Beta 7 update, and viola!    its supported.

i tried my ASUS, and XFX RX 460 cards but they are not compatible and i get a boot flag when i try to load with them.    

GIGABYTE VBIOS is now native in Sierra after BETA 7 update.

ANYONE have a GIGABYTE RX 480 to try out?    beta 7 supports the RX 460 2 g model.    i thought about this model because it doesn't have a 6 pin power connector so its likely to be a laptop compatible model.    it worked and will work for you OUT OF BOX with Sierra BETA 7.

BIOS settings are primary graphics (igfx) and plug HDMI into graphics card it will go black screen during boot up but the last part will show up and you end up with log in screen.    uningine went from 10-15 fps with igfx to 70+ with graphics card.

GIGABYTE for the win, no pun intended for EVGA fans.

How do you expect support for the RX 480 without the Ellesmere section in the X4000 kext?

Gigabyte has nothing to do with the support from Apple, you have been lucky with that model, that's all...

• Like 1

How do you expect support for the RX 480 without the Ellesmere section in the X4000 kext?

Gigabyte has nothing to do with the support from Apple, you have been lucky with that model, that's all...

It's covered by Baffin, my Gigabyte RX 460 works out of box on Beta 7. I bought two and they both are supported in Sierra. It's the Polaris 11 with no 6 pin power supply. A board that will go into laptops? Only 2 g but it has support and my other two cards have none.

post-1753549-0-62018500-1472586171_thumb.jpeg

Has anyone else had a supported card? My others don't pass the metal.

post-1753549-0-31613400-1472586259_thumb.jpeg

It roars up when I boot into Sierra at about mid boot, then makes that characteristic whoosh sound when it's at Password screen. I'm running it with HDMI attached to card during boot.

post-1753549-0-28456800-1472586628_thumb.jpeg

It's covered by Baffin, my Gigabyte RX 460 works out of box on Beta 7. I bought two and they both are supported in Sierra. It's the Polaris 11 with no 6 pin power supply. A board that will go into laptops? Only 2 g but it has support and my other two cards have none.

Of course RX 460 is supported because Baffin is fully implemented.
But you can't tell me that the RX480 will be "covered" by Baffin, it's not right... 
Forcing the RX480 ID in the X4000 Baffin section is totally wrong and useless. 
Again, we have to wait Apple and eventually the future support for Polaris 10.
  • Like 1

@Gigamaxx:

would you please be so kind and upload a dump of your Gigabyte RX460 VBIOS?

You can do so by using DPCIManager and press the "EYE"-button next to the cards left side in main screen.

Would like to make a few tests here, to see if i can get my sapphire NITRO work with it.

Would be much appreciated. Thx. in advance...

• Like 1

gigamaxx can you run unigine heaven without any freezes and do you need fixdisplay fix in clover thx.

perhaps you could use dropbox or the like and zip it please so we can test your rom thx

If you set your bios to IGFX as primary, and use auto not enable or disable it works out of box. I have three Gigabyte cards and they all worked without any other settings than the IGFX. Think about it, it's integrated graphics blending which will kick serious butt when direct x 12 becomes mainstream.

The black screen at boot until the password is because this is a secondary monitor card. If you have two monitors one will pick up the clover process (board HDMI) and the graphics card monitor boots at password.

How can you say it's not OOB when you haven't tried it? I have an Asus and XFX 460 that do not get support status in system info. I have benchmarks and video to show it works, better than any I've seen at without framebuffer and Vbios mods, it fires right up with no glitches.

If I boot with one monitor and HDMI attached to IGFX it runs Unigine on low settings in the 15 fps range, I plug the HDMI into graphics card and it's the same rate.
Reboot with HDMI attached to card and it goes to 70-130 fps on low settings. I will return my other cards and get another monitor so I can test further but I will tell you I've tried to run the other cards in Unigine and they always die unless you use the IGFX which only gives you 15 fps on low settings. THIS CARD WORKS!

Again, we have to wait Apple and eventually the future support for Polaris 10.

If you run fcpx and same render test gpu performance will be slow dawn to slower gpu (in this case IntelGpu)

Or I can run the HDMI out of the board, I will look into this fcpx, and post anything I find, good or bad.

Edited by Allan
  • Like 1

If you set your bios to IGFX as primary, and use auto not enable or disable it works out of box. I have three Gigabyte cards and they all worked without any other settings than the IGFX. Think about it, it's integrated graphics blending which will kick serious butt when direct x 12 becomes mainstream.

The black screen at boot until the password is because this is a secondary monitor card. If you have two monitors one will pick up the clover process (board HDMI) and the graphics card monitor boots at password.

How can you say it's not OOB when you haven't tried it? I have an Asus and XFX 460 that do not get support status in system info. I have benchmarks and video to show it works, better than any I've seen at without framebuffer and Vbios mods, it fires right up with no glitches.

If I boot with one monitor and HDMI attached to IGFX it runs Unigine on low settings in the 15 fps range, I plug the HDMI into graphics card and it's the same rate.

Reboot with HDMI attached to card and it goes to 70-130 fps on low settings. I will return my other cards and get another monitor so I can test further but I will tell you I've tried to run the other cards in Unigine and they always die unless you use the IGFX which only gives you 15 fps on low settings. THIS CARD WORKS!

To be honest, nothing about hackintoshing is "right, however I did it, it was a fluke and it snuck in under the Gigabyte Vbios and ID.

Or I can run the HDMI out of the board, I will look into this fcpx, and post anything I find, good or bad.

Since you have to set iGPU as primary to get the RX460 loaded == NO OOB 

Users with no iGPU how they can use the RX460? It's simple, they can't.

And "nothing about hackintosh is right" is WRONG, because a good hackintosh works pretty well if you do the right thing! 

Look at my signature, you think i'm against AMD? LOL

I repeat again: We have to wait for Apple's proper support for Polaris 10 and 11. 

Have a good day ;)

Edited by Allan
  • Like 2

Does any AMD gpu work in Sierra OOB without igfx?

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller!

This one does work if you have a modern board with IGFX. Apple cut off a few models with antiquated hardware. I opened the box installed it set a couple bios settings and now I have a supported card. Can anyone do this with a 1070 or 1080 card? No and there lies the anger.

Before I left for work today I did change my bios to pcie only and I got the clover screen and halfway through the boot before it went black screen. I could here the card whoosh at the end so I know the system booted but there are. O ports working. I need to get an adapter for the Devi port so I can check that port out to be sure.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller!

This one does work if you have a modern board with IGFX. Apple cut off a few models with antiquated hardware. I opened the box installed it set a couple bios settings and now I have a supported card. Can anyone do this with a 1070 or 1080 card? No and there lies the anger.

Before I left for work today I did change my bios to pcie only and I got the clover screen and halfway through the boot before it went black screen. I could here the card whoosh at the end so I know the system booted but there are. O ports working. I need to get an adapter for the Devi port so I can check that port out to be sure.

Bueller?  :blink:

And the question was "Does any AMD gpu work in Sierra OOB without igfx?" 

The answer is yes, 7970 - 7950 - R9 280X - 6870 - 5770 - 5470 (and a lot more), but not the RX 460