hp dv6000t laptop

riffraff

272 posts in this topic

OMG, I just bought a C700 laptop today, and trying to get this thing work with dell 1390 and dell 1490. Of course neither one of them worked, and I've been looking for a solution. Finally, I see a solution!!! I can't wait to see your next post!

Niether can I. Looks like I have company with this d*mn whitelist. :)

if you want to try to use 4965 use javalous code from google not very mature and only open wifi, if not this toipic is about hacking the bios to allow non-hp wifi cards to be booted, your bios would be the same as mine, the f53 which works great. then all you have to do is chose a card that is supported in osx

Do you have a link, I can't find this on Goggle or Google code.

DAMN! i have a dv6533ez with an intel chip.

When i tried to flash the Bios with the f.27 it said it failed! :D:)

I haven`t shut down the laptp yet but i ave no clue hat to do!?!

PLEASE HELP ME!

thx in advance

super-schaf

you used the wrong bios, any dv6500or higher, or 9500 or higher uses f53 bios the 27 is for models with lower numbers than that, as to fix it use a crisis recovery floppy

for everybody else, i will post that bios later tonight, i have to boot in to windowz, always get errors with virt.

Do you have a link, I can't find this on Goggle or Google code.

i might have spelled his name wrong,just google intel 4965 wifi mac osx and look for something like joulvi or something, no disrespect to anyone just bad with names, anyway project is porting linux drivers, not very mature if you ask me, don't know if it will ever come around, better off spending 10 dollars and bios hack

I also have a c762nr and can't wait for a solution for another wifi card. I got my hands on an airport extreme card from a core duo macbook. The c762nr is good minus a trackpad that doesn't really work but that's ok with a USB mouse. The only other issue was wifi, but if kevd_hackin can get a working hack, I think he'll make a whole lot of people happy judging by the responses. Good luck kevd_hackin. :blink:

I also have a c762nr and can't wait for a solution for another wifi card. I got my hands on an airport extreme card from a core duo macbook. The c762nr is good minus a trackpad that doesn't really work but that's ok with a USB mouse. The only other issue was wifi, but if kevd_hackin can get a working hack, I think he'll make a whole lot of people happy judging by the responses. Good luck kevd_hackin. :blink:

With regards to the mouse...try booting cold, not from another OS. When off, unplug the ac power for a second, and boot. Should be fine.

-Z

With regards to the mouse...try booting cold, not from another OS. When off, unplug the ac power for a second, and boot. Should be fine.

-Z

hey guys,

i downloaded the bios from hp and opened pheonix bios editor, and a no go, hp is not using winplash any more so the file type is not supported under the editor, only .bios or .wph and the file format is niether, when i have time i'll look in to it, but that will be a while hopefully someone with some time can take a look, and hopefully this is not a permenat change.

kevin

hey guys,

i downloaded the bios from hp and opened pheonix bios editor, and a no go, hp is not using winplash any more so the file type is not supported under the editor, only .bios or .wph and the file format is niether, when i have time i'll look in to it, but that will be a while hopefully someone with some time can take a look, and hopefully this is not a permenat change.

kevin

Well, rats... You certainly know more about it than me, but cant the .FD file be opened in a hex editor and picked through? If I knew what I was doing I would try, but when I opened it up in an editor I got intimidated.

-Z

Well, rats... You certainly know more about it than me, but cant the .FD file be opened in a hex editor and picked through? If I knew what I was doing I would try, but when I opened it up in an editor I got intimidated.

-Z

can you open up a .fd file in hex editor? i will be in windowz tom, and try if so i'll post, the hack is easy, once you find what your looking for, will try with out bios editor in the morning and get back to you.

Kevin

For anyone who might be interested, I found a way to hack the F2.A and F2.B bios for the hp dv2700 / dv2800 series laptops. There are two files that need to be modified after decompressing the bios file with Phoenix BIOS Editor: BIOSCOD3.ROM and MOD_5100.ROM. Open these files with your favorite hex editor and find & replace the values E4 14 15 43 with your VendorID and DeviceID on both files. For example, my wireless adaptor is a Broadcom with VenID=14E4 and DeviceID=4328; the final values would be E4 14 28 43. Next, find & replace the values 3C 10 7D 13 with your card's SubsysID. On my case, my SubsysID is 1366103C. My file will then have the following values: 3C 10 66 13. Please note that on both cases you will have to swap some hex values so be careful. This method replaces a card on the bios whitelist with your card's ids. Finally, compile the bios and update it! I am not responsible for anything that might happen to your laptop.

Peace Out

I assume I did something wrong, but this bricked my system. It's probably a checksum error. If you could post a more detailed guide that would be helpful. If I find a way to revive my system (there might be a way without a USB floppy drive actually) I will try again.

I noticed also that the VendorID from my Broadcom 4311 was already in the BIOSCOD3.ROM.

I am on an HP 2617us that uses the F.2B BIOS.

hey all i got a dv5167cl and i got bios f.22A, the newest on hp site is f.24A here.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/previou...s=228〈=en can someone plz tell me if there is a modded bios to remove the whitelist i got a artheros ar5bxb61 card id like to get working in os x86...if there isnt a modded one, can someone help me mod it...thanks

can you give me your Ven ID, sub, and everything else of your original wifi card?

edit: I have taken a look at your BIOS and spotted a couple spots where we could do the mod.. just need to know what your vendor ID, Device ID, and subsys id is, so I can pinpoint it in the bios.

hey all i got a dv5167cl and i got bios f.22A, the newest on hp site is f.24A here.... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/previou...s=228〈=en can someone plz tell me if there is a modded bios to remove the whitelist i got a artheros ar5bxb61 card id like to get working in os x86...if there isnt a modded one, can someone help me mod it...thanks

OK everybody... anybody using the patched F53 Bios for the HP DV9000/6000 (I believe) .. you may have noticed that there is a new one out F.58A. Well I am glad to say that it is successfully patched. With the guidance of kevd_hackins post and the initial doctor j one, I was able to patched the newest one F.58A.. I also added in a nice little mac apple instead of the HP INVENT at the begging of your BIOS. This will allow ANY wireless cards!! I just got my broadcom card today, flashed my bios, saw my nice little apple at boot up and bam i was in OS X with browsin the internet on my new broadcom card. Goodbye 104 Unsupported error message.. lol... anyways.. the linked BIOS contains version F.58A and has a apple logo (if you would like the original HP invent, PM and i can make arrangements). Download the F.58A bios update from HP and go ahead and install.. but do NOT flash.. exit out and go to C:\SwSetup\SP36774. Make sure you edit the phlash.ini (either under swinflash(32bit system) or Winphlash64 (64bit system) under the [uI].. set hideall=0 and add in Advanced=1 . Once you do that, right click the flash.exe and run as administrator and this will allow you to specify the BIOS.. go ahead and choose the patched bios that you downloaded. .. and vista users you might have to disable UAC... Once you flash it, should reboot and you should see the apple logo and go ahead and completely boot up to XP/Vista.. shutdown and slap in your new wifi card, boot into os x and you should be able to use the internet wireless (that is if your card is os x friendly :D ) and ENJOY!!

If you give me the bios version you would like patched and your Vendor ID, Dev ID, and sub sys of your ORIGINAL WIFI card, i might be able to help you out.. PM me

30CCF58.rar

i have been using the phoenix winflash utility from the hp download, i simply switched in the patched version with the advanced mode. if there is a better way, please let me know :)

edit 2: laptop is officially no longer a doorstop! steps listed below for other dv2500t users who have bricked their laptop due to a bad bios flash:

1. download attached utility

2. download current BIOS update from hp for your laptop model

3. using the .bat file, create your recovery floppy

4. extract .WPH file from hp update and replace as BIOS.WPH on your new recovery disk

5. remove battery and power cord

6. press and hold win+b

7. plug in AC power and press power button

(note, laptop WILL beep very loudly. i recommend doing this in a time/place where you will not disturb other people. I did this at about midnight so I put the whole setup into my dryer and closed the door as soon as i got some beeping.)

8. laptop will begin to read the floppy and recover the bios. after you get the beeping, i would leave the room and come back.

9. i returned about 15 minutes later, restarted the computer and everything was just fine.

of course YMMV depending on your specific situation, but this worked for me.

Thanks a lot man! Your crisis disk worked for me, while others did not.

LRZRAGE, could you help me with the F.2B BIOS? The current card in the machine is an Intel 3945 ABG with VenID 8086 DevID 4222 and SubSysID 135B103C. I am trying to install a Broadcom 4311 card with VenID 14E4 and DeviceID 4311 and SubSysID 1363103C.

Hello all - I've been following the discussion here with some interest, as I am also the not-so-proud owner of a Presario C700 series (C762NR) laptop, as well. After spending a number of hours cozying up to HP and talking with outside experts, I've uncovered a few facts of interest I thought I'd summarize here:

1) HP has created more than its share of confusion by naming different BIOS revisions for different laptop series with the same Letter & Number designations; ie., BIOS revision F.27 for the dv6000 series is a completely different (and INCOMPATIBLE) file from revision F.27 for the Presario C700 series - this can be easily proven by looking at the unpatched files on HP's website, which in this case even demonstrates a fundamental shift in copy protection, as well - the dv6000 files are all .WHP formatted, while the C700 files are all InsyderH20 compressed and encrypted. DON"T make this mistake - if you are able to actually flash your laptop BIOS with the wrong patched BIOS file, welcome to brick city!

2) I have yet to run across a comprehensive, concise one-stop guide to flashing the Atheros/Broadcom WiFi cards to match the whitelisted values for each laptop series. There are bits and pieces scattered over a number of forum topics, which can be a daunting proposition to research. I am in the process of compiling the data I can verify- someone with more programming proficiency will have to take the lead; I'm willing to help if we can really assemble this all in one place. My reason for this? It's far less tedious and less of an adventure in returning a dead motherboard, if all you've done is foul up your removable WiFi card - if you brick the BIOS, your bad day has just begun.

3) HP (and Intel's Insyde) have indicated they will continue to convert all new laptop designs to the closed architecure of the "locked and secured" BIOS - so development of good decompilation and editing tools for these BIOS images should be a priority - not just to further WiFi deployment, but for all "internal peripherals" at risk of becoming inaccessible.

4) The programming community here is comprised of some of the best and brightest minds outside Apple (and maybe inside, too...); I'd like to thank all of them for their longstanding devotion and contrbutions to this project. What is still needed is a better "roadmap", to allow more users to more easily locate the topics that affect them, and "drill down" to discover an existing solution more quickly. (An "executive summary", perhaps, at the top of each subject listing?).

Just a few musings -

I'll post again when I've had a chance to better organize some of the data I've mentioned ($ where my mouth is, as they say...)

til then....

Hello all - I've been following the discussion here with some interest, as I am also the not-so-proud owner of a Presario C700 series (C762NR) laptop, as well. After spending a number of hours cozying up to HP and talking with outside experts, I've uncovered a few facts of interest I thought I'd summarize here:

1) HP has created more than its share of confusion by naming different BIOS revisions for different laptop series with the same Letter & Number designations; ie., BIOS revision F.27 for the dv6000 series is a completely different (and INCOMPATIBLE) file from revision F.27 for the Presario C700 series - this can be easily proven by looking at the unpatched files on HP's website, which in this case even demonstrates a fundamental shift in copy protection, as well - the dv6000 files are all .WHP formatted, while the C700 files are all InsyderH20 compressed and encrypted. DON"T make this mistake - if you are able to actually flash your laptop BIOS with the wrong patched BIOS file, welcome to brick city!

2) I have yet to run across a comprehensive, concise one-stop guide to flashing the Atheros/Broadcom WiFi cards to match the whitelisted values for each laptop series. There are bits and pieces scattered over a number of forum topics, which can be a daunting proposition to research. I am in the process of compiling the data I can verify- someone with more programming proficiency will have to take the lead; I'm willing to help if we can really assemble this all in one place. My reason for this? It's far less tedious and less of an adventure in returning a dead motherboard, if all you've done is foul up your removable WiFi card - if you brick the BIOS, your bad day has just begun.

3) HP (and Intel's Insyde) have indicated they will continue to convert all new laptop designs to the closed architecure of the "locked and secured" BIOS - so development of good decompilation and editing tools for these BIOS images should be a priority - not just to further WiFi deployment, but for all "internal peripherals" at risk of becoming inaccessible.

4) The programming community here is comprised of some of the best and brightest minds outside Apple (and maybe inside, too...); I'd like to thank all of them for their longstanding devotion and contrbutions to this project. What is still needed is a better "roadmap", to allow more users to more easily locate the topics that affect them, and "drill down" to discover an existing solution more quickly. (An "executive summary", perhaps, at the top of each subject listing?).

Just a few musings -

I'll post again when I've had a chance to better organize some of the data I've mentioned ($ where my mouth is, as they say...)

til then....

hi,

yes i have been looking into the insyde bios lately to help others, and have found them to be extremely difficult to even get info on, i am told by a friend of mine that i trust on this matter that insyde"intel" has kept the source and decrypt and editing software for this very tight, even i am told using hardware protections and restricting code to machine specifis which to me means something like rsa software on top of a tpm or the like, anyway im told that even if i were to the software out of an oem or from somewhere else, i would not be able to run it. so i really do beleive that this is going to be more difficult. as for hacking the rom on the actually wifi, the reason this method is rarely used is becasue only a few cards can be edited. to my knowledge most the caards are older generations, unless that has changed? But your point is a good one, we won't be bricking parts, the worst will be screwing up something you bought on ebay for at most $20. Good luck, i know alot of people are following this issue and that model is very common so i hope we can do something about it. As for hp switching to all locked bios I WOULD VERY MUCH like to hear from you on this becasue i hear from inside hp that its a cost issue, and high end will continue with pheonix until benefits from other techs are better, again efi which i beleieve will be insyde but there is no time frame on this switch. If you are hearing differ please pm me because this is very big switch if it happens.

Kev

I remade the F.2C BIOS but added AR5BXB6 vendor and sub ids to the white list and left it the F9 hex alone. Can you take a look at this screen shot to see if everything is up to par? The screen shot is http://awesomeoreviews.com/OTHER/BIOSCOD4_ADD.jpg and the notepad file shows the AR5BXB6 ids. The remade BIOS is http://awesomeoreviews.com/OTHER/30BBF2C-HACKED-NWL.zip

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

did this worked for anyone?, Thank you amollere for the great work.

I have hp dv9200 CTO

Thank you again

Empra

Hi to alls

After many time , i decide to flash my HP DV6622ef (dv6500 family) with the hacked F53 bios post by Kevb_hacking.

This Works fine. It hav'nt break my computer ! I was not proud during the flash...

It's time to puschase the best wifi mini pci express in the world.

thank you kevin ! You have break my chains (and my wifi usb key)

This is my small contribution

bob1969

did this worked for anyone?, Thank you amollere for the great work.

I have hp dv9200 CTO

Thank you again

Empra

hi,

his first post has the whitelist completly removed, go back and look for it,its only a page or two away, i did not do the editing, but his screenshots look good, so it should work fine, post here if it works, if not let me know and i'll take a look at it. Good luck and keep everybody informed

kev

hi,

his first post has the whitelist completly removed, go back and look for it,its only a page or two away, i did not do the editing, but his screenshots look good, so it should work fine, post here if it works, if not let me know and i'll take a look at it. Good luck and keep everybody informed

kev

Hi

He have two posts with attached files which one you recommend to try, the later one or the older one.

Thanks

Empra

Everyone we should all meet in a irc channel for chat about our HP laptops

Everyone we should all meet in a irc channel for chat about our HP laptops

Yes, tomorrow, i will try to make IRC channel and announce here. the thing is my laptop is still in repair center :P i want to try this stuff .