hp dv6000t laptop

riffraff

272 posts in this topic

then read more !! especially the last 2 pages of this topic !!!!

When i said i have read a little does not mean i do not read the pages, means that i do not understand everthing that's on it , so if you are going to help me, your help is welcome if not , why you waste your time quoting me?? just to criticize me !!

• 2 weeks later...
I have SOLVED the problem with the built-in wireless on my HP dv6103nr (Best Buy Black Friday special)! This applies to any of the dv6000t series laptops also; and with a little work can be applied to others.

I bought a Dell 1390 (PC559) wireless card on ebay for $8.99. Plugged it in, and got the dreaded error 104-Unsupported wireless device detected whitelist BIOS garbage.

So, I put in the time, disassembled the BIOS, and bypassed the whitelist. Once I fixed that little problem, the card is recognized by Vista, recognized by the HP WLAN utility, and most importantly, shows up as an Airport Extreme in OS X 10.4.9 without changes! I could even download the latest Airport update and it just works. The front panel switch and LED even work in Windows... but it's just amber when running Mac OS. I am using it now to post this. It was very scary to actually re-flash my laptop, but the results speak for themselves.

How to do it in detail:

Download the version F.16 BIOS update for the dv6000t from HP's site (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34782.exe). Go ahead and run this and update your laptop BIOS, and give you easy access to C:/SWSetup/30BBF16.exe. Unpack 30BBF16.exe using WinACE. This will get you the Phoenix Winflash utility, along with the Winflash BIOS file 30BBF16.WPH.

Download BiosEdit2100.zip from Intel's site (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...ng+Systems?=eng). This "logo editor" is actually the Phoenix BIOS Editor Pro version 2.1.0.0.

Next get a hold of HexIt (http://81.233.34.242/hexit.php). This is a very handy free hex editor that also does disassembly.

Now it is time to fix the problem. Open 30BBF16.WPH using the Phoenix BIOS editor. Click continue for the unrecognized sections.

Use HexIt to edit BIOSCOD4.ROM, found in C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd\BIOS Editor\Temp, where it unpacks the BIOS. At offset 0x1505 you will find an $F9, corresponding to an stc instruction. Change the $F9 to $F8 (clc). That's it. Now the whitelist check will always pass. Save the file.

Rebuild the BIOS. You will have to change something in the Phoenix editor and change it back in order for the Build BIOS option to 'ungrey'. Save the patched BIOS. Make sure there are NO errors.

Now you are ready to Flash using Winflash. Put the BIOS into your extracted 30BBF16 directory. Then modify the PHLASH.INI file so that it shows the full user interface. Set HideAll=0, and add Advanced=1 under [uI]. Now you can run Winflash, backup your BIOS, enable the checksum checks, and Flash your newly patched BIOS.

Done. Now you can use any wireless card - no more whitelist.

I would like to point out that the F.16 BIOS only has two different model cards in the whitelist. The 3495ABG and the Broadcom 4311... which is what the Dell 1390 is. The only difference is the SUBSYS ID! Look at 30BBF16_Whitelist.doc for the details.

30BBF16_Whitelist.doc

What made this especially scary is that the BIOS modules are not built back in the same order as they were originally. But they are all present, and it appears that the Phoenix BIOS Editor has handled everything correctly. Since the BIOS is compressed, the resulting binary is quite different, but uncompressed you can compare the differences and see that they are "the same" as they can be.

Enjoy! :D

Hi,

Does anyone know if this will work with the F.49 Bios for the dv9000? A hex "F9" is located at the noted offset (0x1505). I have changed it and saved it but thought before updating my bios I should see if anyone else has done this with any bios other than F.16 ? Thanks in advanced for any info on this. I don't want to end up hosing up my laptop. Thx again..

Rick :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
When i said i have read a little does not mean i do not read the pages, means that i do not understand everthing that's on it , so if you are going to help me, your help is welcome if not , why you waste your time quoting me?? just to criticize me !!

His point was that it was pretty obvious that you hadn't read this topic very well, since the whole point of the BIOS hack is to enable you to swap the cards. HP has locked the BIOS in these machines to keep people from swapping the wireless card (it probably has something to do with FCC certification), the BIOS hack gets around that lock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i was looking at buying an hp9700t with dual hds. I was hoping to install xp on one hard drive and osx on the other, and just adjust bios prior to booting as to which hard drive to use. Does anyone see a problem with this dual hd approach? Are there other big issues to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi I have a HP pavillion dv6626us with a F.23 A Bios.

I tried to follow this guide to change the value to disable the whitelist, but the value specified at the address are different.

Please help

I have the same laptop and I have so far been able to have Leopard 10.5.1 working fine except the 3945a/b/g wireless card. My question to you and others on this topic is what I could do to let my replacement Dell Broadcomm 1490 card work (a hexedit looks like a solution for sure). Has anybody got any success with the DV6626US model yet?. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i've an HP NC6400.

The bios seems not to be phoenix, so i cant load it with phoenix editor.

I found the device/vendor whitelist in hexeditor, but i guess there is checksum, so i dont modify it directly

Does anyone has a solution ?

Okay, yes! great job guys... I have the dell card installed in my dv9205tx and have it working in vista. However when I boot to osx, I do not see the airport card? Can someone point me in the right direction on how to have this show up under network settings?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Troy

new bios F3D is out... I'm trying to manually patch my amd dv6058cl (<-- it was murder having HP give me the exact model number) so I can use my atheros card with it. I want to deactivate a card that I dont use, so I can use my Broadcom and my Atheros. Can anyone give me a hand? I cant find the correct offsets to add my Gigabyte card without deactivating my 4311.

Broadcom 4311
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1363103C&REV_01\4&14C5F9B7&0&0018
Gigabyte GN-WI01-GT
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_E9131458&REV_01\4&14C5F9B7&0&0018

well, I risked the brick, and I finally flashed my bios onto my laptop. Worked the first time. I spent enough time working on it to realize all that needs to be done. If anyone wants help, send me a PM, I'll try to get back to you when I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that is the patched file, but it is for a dv6000 series, not a dv9000 series. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain that the patch is working since I haven't got my new card to test yet. I followed the directions exactly though, and the right bytes were in the right place, so it should work. Can someone on a dv6000 series please test this?

edit: well, according to the files for that BIOS update, it SHOULD be for the dv9000 series as well, so perhaps my patching didn't work, or maybe the bytes that need to be patched are in a different place on the dv9000 series??

bluedragon1971,

Could you please help me out with patching the new DV6700T bios f.45, for the new Penryn Core 2 Duo? I have tried locating the whitelist in this bios to no avail by using the Phoenix Bios Editor Pro and a hex editor. Just can't find it...and am very afraid of bricking this new laptop... Thanks a million! :P

I just wanted to add that any help towards a fix on the F.45 Bios would sure be appreciated. I am working on an HP DV9700 that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processer. I am trying to add the Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 (Pre-n) wireless card to the laptop.

I have tried flashing the laptop with the patched BIOS versions mentioned in the previous posts in this thread (F.16, F.28 etc) but they will not flash on to my laptop. It seems that the only BIOS's that will go onto this machine are F.33 and F.45. When I apply the methods described for 'fixing' the earlier versions of the BIOS's, I run into a problem. That is, when I open the F.45 BIOS, there are no "BIOSCOD4" files or anything like it. Instead, there are only "HOLE01" or "HOLE02" files. I searched all of thise files for Device ID or Subsys ID, but no luck.

Anyway - If someone knows how to help on Bios Version F.45, that would be great!

Thank you!

Craigolio

I patched the lastest BIOS for my (F.29) DV6200 Intel based laptop. This patch is tested on my laptop and disables the error screen with my 4965AGN card installed. I don't know if this patch works on AMD or not. USE PATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS.

Back up your BIOS verify checksum and flash. You might have to manually select the BIOS image before flashing (30BBF29.WPH).

http://www.mediafire.com/?dj9jewjbiwe

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to add that any help towards a fix on the F.45 Bios would sure be appreciated. I am working on an HP DV9700 that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processer. I am trying to add the Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 (Pre-n) wireless card to the laptop.

I have tried flashing the laptop with the patched BIOS versions mentioned in the previous posts in this thread (F.16, F.28 etc) but they will not flash on to my laptop. It seems that the only BIOS's that will go onto this machine are F.33 and F.45. When I apply the methods described for 'fixing' the earlier versions of the BIOS's, I run into a problem. That is, when I open the F.45 BIOS, there are no "BIOSCOD4" files or anything like it. Instead, there are only "HOLE01" or "HOLE02" files. I searched all of thise files for Device ID or Subsys ID, but no luck.

Anyway - If someone knows how to help on Bios Version F.45, that would be great!

Thank you!

Craigolio

I have successfully patched BIOS version F.51 (compatible with all notebooks that use F.33 A, F.45, and F.51) to work with the BCM94311MCG. Please note that my patch does not completely disable the supported card checking, but it does add the Dell 1390 card to the whitelist.

The file is available at http://alakani.org/mac/30CCF51-PATCHED.zip . Just download the stock F.51 BIOS from the HP website, and use the included SWinflash to load the patched BIOS.

In the process of getting this to work, I've learned a lot about HP BIOSes in general, so if anyone has any other BIOS versions they'd like patched (maybe even the AMD's), or any other cards they'd like supported, I'll see what I can do. E-mail me at alakani@alakani.org since I don't check back here that often.

• 2 weeks later...

anybody willing to help me patch the dv2500 bios? i have an intel based one and i bought a real apple airport extreme card on ebay and got that f***king error 104 (sorry, i'm pissed because i tried patching on my own and bricked my laptop by doing so). i still want to run leopard but this time i need some help with the bios since the intel 4965 drivers are way too far off for my patience :)

edit: if you know anything and are willing to help, feel free to pm/im me but IM is prferred as i don't check my pm's here everyday.

I have successfully patched the F.51 bios to add the BCM94321KFBG (taken from an Apple TV, same as used in MacBook Pro) to the whitelist, and have been using the card in an HP dv9700t with iATKOS updated with Kalyway 10.5.2 updater. Card is ID'd as Airport and connects fine (to hotel wireless, not sure what the router is).

The PCI\VEN is 14E4 4328. I had to install the card in a Dell laptop running XP to get the SUBSYS ID, 106B x87. So the hex to patch was E414 2843 6B01 8700.

I had to use Phoenix BIOS editor pro 2.2 to extract the modules from the HP bios. The module to patch was "BIOSCOD4.ROM" from the F.51 bios downloaded from HP site. I actually performed the hex editing using 0xED app on Hackintosh. I ran the Phoenix BIOS program in Parallels with XP pro image. I then replaced the BIOSCOD4.ROM in the TEMP directory created by the BIOS Editor with the patched file, and then selected Build Bios. Built with no errors, then transfered the BIOS and the orig HP BIOS (self-installer) to USB to use on the dv9700t.

The HP dv9700t was running Vista. Had issues with getting the SWinFlash program to run, but was finally able to flash the Bios with the patched F.51 bios. Installed the card, booted up, and the 104 error is gone.

I am currently running 10.5.2 from and external USB drive. Everything works except Sleep and shutdown.

Willing to help, but currently on travel and won't be able to do much until next week.

hey i'll take whatever help i can get! i'll load up the atheros card during business class tonight (it works fine under vista if i switch under sleep mode) and get the id's from the device mgr and post back and if i can find the bios editor again then i'll poke around in the editor and see what i can come up with but can anybody recommend a hex editor for the not so skilled here such as myself, preferably a windows app but i can deal with osx as i have a hac pro downstairs right now)

Thank you!

Craigolio

I had the same issue with "HOLE01" etc, had to use version 2.2 or greater of the Phoenix BIOS editor. Version 2.0 was giving me all the "HOLExx" files.

do you remeber what offset you found it at? i found the values for my intel card, and near them i found a set of vaules for a broadcom card that i had edited for my airport card and that is what bricked me in the first place.

I edited starting at offset 1D97. Attached is a screenshot with the highlighted edits.

post-49899-1209101858_thumb.jpg