Clover not installing/mounting EFI in Legacy Mode

3 posts in this topic

I recently had El Capitan installed on a Toshiba laptop. I had felt that I messed with too many files trying to resolve some issues getting the audio and webcam to work. I decided to re-install El Capitan thinking a refresh would start me out right. Now I cannot get the Clover Installer to install to the EFI partition. It is going straight to my OS partition. I notice that when the install finishes I do not have an EFI partition mounted AND the files Clover said it installed now reside in my root directory.

Now I'm wishing I didn't do it because I cannot get it to boot without the USB because I get the message that I don't have a bootable disk available. The USB is formatted with the GUID Partition Type so I know it's being read by the computer. I even went as far as creating the USB again from scratch. Moving the files directly over to the EFI partition after making sure it's FAT32 format and mounting it does not do anything.

I really don't understand how this happened or what could have changed. I didn't do anything with the BIOS settings. I'm at a loss here and hoping someone can help me figure this out.

Boot the installer again...

then before you install use the DiskUtility to format the HDD to one Partition as HFS+...

or boot using a Linux Live DVD/USB and use GParted to totally bomb (remove all partitions) the HDD, DO NOT format it...

just check if the partition table is set to GPT...

then boot the installer and install again...

You will find plenty of good guides here on the forum to create a correct USB Install Flash Drive, do it clean vanilla and the correct way.

Now, a good clean install is booting from the USB Install Flash Drive and on OS X installer, clean your hdd to HFS+ with Disk util, make 

partitions as desire or use full disk.

By default the OS X installer will always do the EFI partition on the destination volume disk, using Legacy or UEFI.

Possible causes of your unsucess is a bad/corrupted USB installer or bad disk if the installer doesn't finish correctly.