Random bootloop with GTX970

kignon

15 posts in this topic

Good evening!

I would like to share with you a problem I am unable to solve.

I apologize to the moderators if I am not in the appropriate section (feel free to move the topic and/or to insult me) and for my mistakes too.

I haven't found a topic with this kind of bootloop. Most of them are about bootloop before installing Mac OS X / OS X / macOS.

For those who don't want to read my signature:

- Asus Z97I-PLUS

- Intel Core i5 4690 3,5GHz to 3,9GHz turbo with a TDP of 84W

- Asus Strix GTX 970 with 4GB VRAM

- Crucial 16384MB 1600MHz set in UEFI without Intel X.M.P.

My installation process:

- Clean install of El Capitan using my config.plist (iMac15,1 as SMBIOS, see attachment);

- Restart

- FakeSMC, AppleIntelE1000e, BTFirmwareUploader and AsusBCM20702A0Bluetooth kexts installed in S/L/E using Easy Kext Pro.

- DSDT generated using MaciASL 1.4 (not the Rehabman version, even if in the past, I used his version, I had the same fixes to apply) and placed into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched;

- Restart;

- SSDT generated using Piker-Alpha's script with the following arguments '-f 3500 -turbo 3900 -x 0 -target 2 -m iMac15,1 -t 84' and placed into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched;

- Restart;

- Change 'Config2' by 'none' in the AppleGraphics kext;

- sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel ; sudo kextcache -system-caches in the Terminal;

- Install the latest version of NVIDIA Web Driver;

- Add the flag nvda_drv=1 in my config plist.

If you ask about the sound, I use an external USB sound card.

Airport is working using Toleda SSDT method, his file is renamed as SSDT-1.aml.

My problem: sometimes not always and I even think randomly at the end of the verbose boot (or during the verbose boot, a little bit hard for me to say when exactly), before the screen goes black and the white loading bar and the white apple appear, my computer just... reboot.

It can bootloop for multiple times before completely booting as it can boot directly. I have never experienced twice the same thing.

That being said, I am almost sure about that:

- until now, it never happened before I install the web driver;

- it doesn't seem to happen when I change 'nvda_drv=1' by 'nv_disable=1';

- I don't recall having this problem with Yosemite but I am not sure I had this motherboard at the time (Z97 Pro (wifi ac));

- I don't recall having this problem during the first major versions of El Capitan 10.11.0, 10.11.1 and 10.11.2; I think I have stopped to use OS X when this problem appeared and I stayed on Windows since.

Any help would be appreciated. I am providing my DSDT, SSDT and my config.plist as attached files. If you need something else, don't hesitate (but for log or else, please tell me where to get them, if not, I will simply search on my own).

Thank you for your time and your help.

-- 

kignon

kignon_z97i-plus_gtx970.zip

Thank you for your answer.

I remove my DSDT.aml from Clover and put your config.plist instead of mine.

The last two startups I have made worked perfectly. I guess it is a little bit too soon to have the answer, but if it still works tomorrow I will probably mark your answer as solution.

For my own curiosity, would you please, my dear, tell me what you did in the config.plist (I have noticed you have removed a lot of lines)?

Another question if you allow me, isn't it better to have a DSDT file?

Cordially,

• Like 1

For my own curiosity, would you please, my dear, tell me what you did in the config.plist (I have noticed you have removed a lot of lines)?

I just have removed some useless lines. In fact, what I did, I do that in my own config.plist.  ;)

If you read what each lines means in Clover config.plist, you'll see that some things are not necessary for all Hacks.

Look: CloverWiki

Another question if you allow me, isn't it better to have a DSDT file?

IMHO, DSDT is more useful for specific things. E.g: USB, LPC, etc...

Today Clover can do almost all things for us.  :D

• Like 1

Good morning, here are some news!

:thanks_speechbubble: Firstly, thank you for your explanations. :) 

Secondly, your solution is almost perfect: most of the times my hackintosh starts normally, but it happens that it reboot in the middle of the boot sequence.

The difference: before it could bootloop, now, it just reboot and boot normally (I haven't experienced a bootloop, just reboot for now).

Another good news, it happens less too.

I had to wait the third boot to get a reboot (which end normally). I also made a clean install to remove all modifications I have made when I tried to solve my bootloop problem.

Using your config.plist and without DSDT, just after installing nVIDIA Web Driver during the necessary reboot it has rebooted, then boot normally (that is a lot of 'boot' words). I also experience those reboot when I reboot from Windows (on my last 3 times, it happens twice).

In a way, you did solve my problem since I haven't experienced bootloop anymore. Any idea on how to solve the random reset during the boot sequence?

Cordially,

My UEFI has the last version provided by Asus, here are the settings that I manually enable / disable.

Enable:

- CSM for UEFI only (bootloop when deactivate too, have not tried since your config.plist and removing DSDT), note that I put PatchVBios in your config.plist to have 1920x1080 resolution in Clover at startup and I use the CMS UEFI driver for Clover;

- Intel Virtualization

- RAM is 1600MHz but recognized automatically at 1333MHz, so I force it to 1600MHz without enabling Intel X.M.P.

Disable:

- Fastboot

- Secureboot for Windows only

- Onboard HD audio card

The UEFI is already set with AHCI and Intel X.M.P. disable. Do you think about something I didn't set correctly?

Maybe the problem can be the USB settings.

In a Asus Z97 Deluxe edition I made these changes, look:

Advance/USB Configuration

• Legacy USB Support > Enabled
  • Intel xHCI Mode > Auto
  • EHCI Hand-off > Enabled

Try change this, and see if will help you.  ^_^

- RAM is 1600MHz but recognized automatically at 1333MHz, so I force it to 1600MHz without enabling Intel X.M.P.

For this I use X.M.P as #1 in BIOS/UEFI, and in config.plist, I use as 1 too.

I'm back to do my report Sir!

Configuration C01: I went into my UEFI and set up my USB as you ask, I have also set my RAM frequency to 'Auto' then put X.M.P. to Profile 1. I then re-create my SSDT with '-x 1' (for X.M.P. enabled) in addition to my arguments.

Configuration C02: From C01, I have removed my SSDT-1.aml file from Clover, it is the Toldea's patch for my wifi card Broadcom 4352.

Configuration C03: From C02, I have removed the Clover patch to allow 21 USB ports on xHC drivers instead of the 15 allowed by Apple.

Configuration C04: From C03, I set back EHCI Hand-off to disabled as it was in my default UEFI configuration.

Configuration C05: From C04, I set back Intel xHCI Mode to Smart Auto as it was in my default UEFI configuration.

Configuration C06: From C05, I disable Intel X.M.P. in my UEFI (as it was), and removed all my SSDT files in Clover (so no SSDT or DSDT), I also put back my Clover patch to allow 21 USB ports on xHC.

Configuration C07: From C06, I have re-create my SSDT using Piker-Alpha' script and put it back in Clover's patched folder.

Configuration C08: From C07, I have removed all my kexts for Bluetooth from Clover (BTFirmwareUploader and AsusBCM20702A0Bluetooth).

Configuration C09: From C08, I simply have disabled my onboard Wifi and Bluetooth card in my UEFI.

Configuration C10: From C09, I have restored my SSDT-1.aml file, my kexts for Bluetooth and I have activated my onboard Wifi and Bluetooth card on my UEFI. In others words, my configuration is as it was before C01. I have replaced nvda_drv=1 by nv_disable=1.

For each settings, I have tried to boot 10 times and I have written if my hackintosh had reset or if the boot sequence succeded. After 10 times, I simply have written the result before I could boot and update my configuration.

Boot sequence / Configuration      C01      C02      C03      C04      C05      C06      C07      C08      C09      C10

#01              F     F     S     F     F     S     S     F    F     S

#02              F     F     F     F     F     F     F     F    F     S

#03              S     F     F     F     F     F     F     F    F     S

#04              F     F     S     F     F     S     S     F    S     S

#05              S     F     S     F     F     S     F     F    F     S

#06              F     F     F     F     S     S     F     F    F     S

#07              F     F     F     F     F     S     S     F    S     S

#08              F     F     F     S     S     F     F     F    F     S

#09              S     F     F     S     F     S     S     F    F     S

#10              F     F     F     F     F     S     F     S    F     S

#11              F     S     -     -     F     F     S     -    -     -

#12              S     -     -     -     F     F     -     -    -     -

#13              -     -     -     -     F     F     -     -    -     -

#14              -     -     -     -     S     S     -     -    -     -

F = Fail

S = Success

I think there is a problem between my graphic card, the NVIDIA Web Driver and OS X El Capitan; any idea ?

If the table is not properly displayed, check the attached file.

Cordially,

[edit]: the table is not properly displayed...

[edit]: Found this subject now that I have searched GTX 970 kernel panic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305142-gtx-970-random-kernel-panics-on-boot/the author has solved his problem by connecting his monitor with dvi cable; he was using a VGA one before. I am currently using a DVI to VGA adaptator, it is possible indeed that the problem comes from here. Weird is not it ?

post-788839-0-17051100-1472412624_thumb.png

Edited by kignon

Indeed, my mistake, I don't know why I mixed X.M.P. and XCPM.

I have connected an Apple Cinema display with DVI-D instead of my old Samsung with only VGA + DVI-I adaptator. Three reboots later, it seems to work...

I will checked that a little bit later about X.M.P. but thanks for showing a mistake.

• Like 1

Thanks! I will look your config.plist a little bit later.

As for mbasd=1, it allow you to use Apple External Superdrive with any kind of Mac. Usually, this equipment doesn't work with Mac with internal drive, but even using iMac15,1 that doesn't have one, I can't make it work without this flag. On Windows, you would use the ODDriver provided by Apple in any BootCamp driver pack.

• Like 1

As for mbasd=1, it allow you to use Apple External Superdrive with any kind of Mac. Usually, this equipment doesn't work with Mac with internal drive, but even using iMac15,1 that doesn't have one, I can't make it work without this flag. On Windows, you would use the ODDriver provided by Apple in any BootCamp driver pack.

Nice to know about that! Thanks for sharing with us  ;)

If you get time, report us back the results  ^_^

So, I have used your config.plist finally and hum...

Just to be sure, my configuration C10 is my initial configuration before I tried anything about USB (following your instructions), with nv_disable=1 instead of nvda_drv=1.

In others word, I have just disabled my graphic card (I wanted to be sure that I didn't have any problems to boot without it).

So I look into your config.plist and recreated a SSDT with XCMP enable, made the change into mine. On six boots, only 2 have failed, it is better, but again, not perfect.

Obvisouly, I did it using nvda_drv=1, because with nv_disable=1, I had not any graphic acceleration...  :hysterical:

I still do not understand too, why fixing USB is "solving" my problem, but I would be curious to hear what you had / have in mind about that.  :)

Did you notice that I found a "solution" by replacing the monitor by a one with digital connector (I am still trying of course, but it did seems to work by replacing my Samsung SMB2230 by an Apple Cinema Display); apparently the problem comes from the VGA (D-Sub) connector and does not seem to be present with a digital one (HDMI / DVI-D)?

I also recall that I had another monitor when I was on Yosemite, but it was too big, so I sell it and went on a former one (old, but for what I do, it was enough).

It is really time to change my monitor...  :whistle: