Ideal SMBIOS for Skylake system

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I understand this has been discussed, but I haven't been able to find a definite answer.

I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming mobo with an i5-6500 processor. As a GPU I'm using an nVidia 760 GTX card.

Two usage cases:
1. Using the 14,2 SMBIOS everything works, including second stage boot screen with a logo. Since I have a generated SSDT for the CPU everything works.
2. Using the 17,1 SMBIOS everything works, except no second stage boot screen, and I also need to use the 17,1 fix in config.plist to be able to use my 760 GTX card.

So the question is as follows:
- Do I actually gain anything by using the 17,1 signature? Or should I just use 14,2 as that seems more compatible with my GFX card?

Thank you!

Use iMac 17,1 if you want full compability for CPU states ( it is Skylake iMac after all ). Use iMac 14,2 for less hassle ( the new Mac Pro 3,1 anyone? )

Thanks. Based on this I dumped CPU states using both SMBIOS'es and indeed when using Skylake 17,1 it show almost double the CPU states. Thanks again!

Hi All,

I understand this has been discussed, but I haven't been able to find a definite answer.

I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming mobo with an i5-6500 processor. As a GPU I'm using an nVidia 760 GTX card.

Two usage cases:

1. Using the 14,2 SMBIOS everything works, including second stage boot screen with a logo. Since I have a generated SSDT for the CPU everything works.

2. Using the 17,1 SMBIOS everything works, except no second stage boot screen, and I also need to use the 17,1 fix in config.plist to be able to use my 760 GTX card.

So the question is as follows:

- Do I actually gain anything by using the 17,1 signature? Or should I just use 14,2 as that seems more compatible with my GFX card?

Thank you!

Hey man,

What's the 17,1 fix in config.plist that you mentioned? Im using iMac 17,1 because i have Skylake cpu but Im having the issue of the black screen when I boot with my GTX 980 ti card 

Just in case this is my machine:

- Asus Z170-PRO

- Intel i7-6700K

- 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 Ram

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED

I've been trying a lot of things but I still cant get it to work and it's getting really frustrating

thanks in advance!

Hey man,

What's the 17,1 fix in config.plist that you mentioned? Im using iMac 17,1 because i have Skylake cpu but Im having the issue of the black screen when I boot with my GTX 980 ti card 

Just in case this is my machine:

- Asus Z170-PRO

- Intel i7-6700K

- 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 Ram

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB CLASSIFIED

I've been trying a lot of things but I still cant get it to work and it's getting really frustrating

thanks in advance!

The fix is for exactly that :)

Put this into the KextsToPatch section next to the other patches you have in place:

<dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>(c)Pike R. Alpha</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                Ym9hcmQtaXg=