macOS Sierra & R9 290 Sapphire Vapor-X problem

Swear

35 posts in this topic

Sort of, it'll be a bit retarded with the 290X bios but there's the switch on the card so you can alway go back to the original bios just by flipping it.

Did you ever experience any kind of problem doing this? First I have to figure out where the switch button is, by the way lol

Thank you for your reply. Personally, I am a bit noob about this. Could you please guide us through? Again, thank for making something finally clear

ahaha ehm it would be helpful for me too cuze i'm super noob at it, btw i will try to use mac pro 6,1 and i will update if it work or not, the problem of some people here is that they don't have to do that, it's all about if they want or not help and put the hackintosh world, community ecc in the next level. Before here, i was using tony.. and i wrote an entire guide about my config...but none is equal.

Boot to windows. Download atiwinflash & 290X bios for your card

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=R9+290X&interface=&memType=&memSize=

Flip the switch on the card? Run command prompt as admin, atiwinflash -f -p 0 thebiosfileyoudownloaded.rom

You'll get black screen until the os is loaded, so you better setup clover to boot Sierra automatically.

hi i'm ombra thank you a lot for your help!!! if you can help, for me that i have the msi r9 290x with tri-x flashed bios, what should i do? cuze everytime i try to boot, i experience just a no signal screen.

i will try to use mac pro 6,1

Did it help?

Boot to windows. Download atiwinflash & 290X bios for your card

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=R9+290X&interface=&memType=&memSize=

Flip the switch on the card? Run command prompt as admin, atiwinflash -f -p 0 thebiosfileyoudownloaded.rom

You'll get black screen until the os is loaded, so you better setup clover to boot Sierra automatically.

I did what you said but I had no luck. I tried with three different .rom but I had weird flickering once in OS X, so I tried other two but nothing was displayed at all. So I went back to original bios. I thank you, but this didn't help me... :/

Did it help?

I did what you said but I had no luck. I tried with three different .rom but I had weird flickering once in OS X, so I tried other two but nothing was displayed at all. So I went back to original bios. I thank you, but this didn't help me... :/

Once you have the "wrong" bios flashed set clover inject to some invalid fb e.g., Radeon. This same procedure works with R9 Nano (vbios with invalid pci id).

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have the "wrong" bios flashed set clover inject to some invalid fb e.g., Radeon. This same procedure works with R9 Nano (vbios with invalid pci id).

My main problem with this method is the blind state of the computer. I have more hdds on the machine so I can't afford this method. It would be very messy every time I need to boot other OSs. Is there any way to accomplish macOS Sierra with this card? Thank you for your time

I managed to install and launch GM Candidate version and I can see the right video card name, but I get 5 mb of VRAM.

I used vBios method with Clover Configurator and the .rom file of 290x card in the ROM folder in the EFI partition.

How can I fix the 5MB vRAM problem?

I tried using "Radeon" as FB name as suggested, but I get the system to crash at some point after the login. And from what I can see it's laggy anyways..

http://imgur.com/a/gtTUD

It seems you haven't set fakeid in Clover. There's no matching driver for 1002 67b1 in osx. For now, boot blind or not at all.  :lol:

You're probably right, but I can't understand why it works fine in Yosemite and El Capitan without vbios or anything. For those I use fakeID only. And it works.

It does not work for Mavericks and Sierra. My question is "why?". Do you know the exact answer?