• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

CharCat

CharCat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I recently received an HP Pavilion A6400f with the ASUS IPIBL-LB mobo.  My brother keeps telling me to get a Mac so I thought I'd try to make a hackintosh using OSx Lion since both are from the same era. So far, all I've found are tutorials that all say "first get such and such from a previous install of OSx". If I had a previous install or access to a Mac I wouldn't need to try making a hackintosh. So, any suggestions or guidance? Hopefully, once I get OSx on, I'll be able to install Linux Mint and multiboot.

RAM: 8GB

HDD: 500GB

Chipset: Intel G33

Video: Intel GMA 3100 On board

Audio: On board ALC888S

Network: Realtek 8111C On board

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

It's a lost cause with that unsupported integrated graphics chip. You'd never get graphics acceleration, i.e. system would run like {censored}.

You'll have to add a supported PCIe graphics card to that desktop system. Then, you should be able to install OS X, from SL to El Capitan. Sierra will depend on your CPU since it requires a SSE4-capable model. What's your exact CPU model ?

CharCat

CharCat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Gee, Herve, your answer was so helpful. I've installed an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS PCI 16 vid card. Still, every post I've seen seen starts out with "On a Mac..." or words to that effect. Hello. If I had a Mac I bloody well wouldn't need a hacintosh then, now would I?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

The world of Hackintoshing requires doing lots of researching and reading. A lot... You may regret it and curse (did I say curse?) a lot about it, but there is no single easy method based on "take a DVD, burn the image, boot it and you're done". That's what distros aimed to do with a certain degree of success in the early and not-so early days but that's in the past now and "Vanilla" installation are the norm these days.

If you'd pay a little more attention to what you've read, you'd probably notice that what's actually meant is "(temporary) access to a Mac or a Hack" to create the USB installer. I don't believe anyone would have actually written that you need to possess a Mac...

You should search for published methods about creating USB installers from Windows or even consider a Virtual (OS X) Machine to that effect. I'll give you another tip since you have a supporting platform: get hold of a copy of retail Snow Leopard 10.6(.0), 10.6.3 or 10.6.8 and make a basic installation of SL using Nawcom's BootCD (name is self-explanatory, me think). You'll have to search for those of course. You'd be able to create any USB installer you want from a basic and even incomplete/non-tuned temporary SL installation. That's how I began a few years back...

CharCat

CharCat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Well, Nawcom BootCd works great. I also enter PCIRootUID=1 -x, swap the Nawcom with the Snow Lion, hit F5 and wait. The Snow Lion does NOT appear on the list of drives, only my HDD partitions. Had the same problem using that other guy's boot disk. Am I missing something?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

I guess you meant Snow Leopard... Is it a genuine retail SL disc or a disc made out of an image? If so, please give details.

CharCat

CharCat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

"I guess you meant Snow Leopard... Is it a genuine retail SL disc or a disc made out of an image? If so, please give details."

Yup, Snow Leopard. Too many wild cats to keep straight. The disc I have is from an ISO of the distro.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Well, that's why it doesn't work. Get a genuine SL DVD. It only costs $20.

http://www.apple.com...06-snow-leopard

Add your own country code after apple.com in the URL if necessary. Eg: www.apple.com/fr/shop/....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lion, ASUS, ipibl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy