New JaS DVD

mifki

427 posts in this topic

Guest bikedude880
If i have a processor that has hpet/nx support how to enable those features as i install 10.4.8 with the jas dvd?

thanks,

brad

Use mifki's kernel. It has hpet and nx enabled.

That is... once we all get off of 33.4%...

Considering I'll use mifki's kernel, how is the installation different comparing to real X86 OS X installed on Macs ?

We have all (?) 10.4.8 kexts, 10.4.8 kernel, apps too...

So basically it's just removed TMP and EFI ? Or are we still using some "legacy" stuff from Maxxus work?

Guest bikedude880
So during the install I'll get an option to choose a certain kernal? Also i have the same set up as you are there any ktext I need to same from my older install?

brad

Unless JaS didn't include some stuff (and I know he did) then you shouldn't have to copy anything over (hacked kexts from old system optional ;P)

From here:

JaS installer image

Guest bikedude880
Where did the 100% seeders go?

We've only really had one... the problem was that everyone hopped on the torrent at the same time... one seeder can't handle 100 connections (or in this case 200+).

I'm going to wait until after I deejay this dance tonight before I try reinstalling. Plus I have to download the whole thing still so it won't be done until after then anyway. Those of you who are complaining about it being slow.... Just remember we have 1 seed right now. Remember to seed when you are done so that it will help..... It's just being distributed and once it has a good distribution the speed will increase. RIght now I'm at 68/kbs but that will slow down once I get caught up to how much of this is distributed.

I know I have NX but how do I tell if I have hpet? I have a celeron d 2.93 and the asus p5gd1-vm

Magicman

Kallis -- JaS has said that there will be just this one base version issued and then small patches issued against it for the other versions. A ppf is a file you will download that will be say 50 MB. You will fire up a patching program (that there will be links to or it can be posted directly here). You tell the patching program to work with the full base version file we are all getting now, tell it to apply the patch you download for your setup, and in 5 minutes, all by itself, it will customize the big file you downloaded just for you. Then you burn that to DVD and install. This patching method is very easy to do, and it is way more efficient if everyone starts with the same 4.3 GB download rather than having 6 different huge downloads creeping along at the same time.

There was more than one seeder at one point, saw at least two, so someone finished and then dissconnected. Even just a few people seeding for a while after they are finished would really help out a lot.

could be an error in my client, but it sure said that some had gotten the whole thing, who knows.

I know patience is a virtue, but this is just so dang exciting and I've spent a lot of time trying to get the new kernels working myself.

Thanks Jas, Vitality, Semthex

Edit: I turned off my upload cap, so it clogs my download, but it'll help the swarm catch up, maybe take some load off the seeder. I'll start downloading again when it's healthier. If a few (hundred) more did that it might help over the next several hours.

I have just installed my new kernel, works fine so far.....fingers crossed but I am still downlooading JaS's new DVD anyway.

Why?

Two reasons.

First, it will be easier to reinstall if I have a problem. and...

Second, because I wish to help out the community and spread the wealth. When my download is done, I will not log out and concider my job done. I want to help seed for others for as long as I can. I just hope all in the community feel the same way.

Boris

At now the download speed is terrific. About 1,7-2 KB/s. It's ridiculous. Please somebody or someone help the seed. Please i want the 10.4.8 JAS install DVD.

Have some patience, it was only uploaded today. No one has it yet.

Christ.

Sorry i wasnt clear enough on that post when i say stuck at 4.1% im meant its been stuck there for about the last 100 megs lol

Thanks again

I have just installed my new kernel, works fine so far.....fingers crossed but I am still downlooading JaS's new DVD anyway.

Why?

Two reasons.

First, it will be easier to reinstall if I have a problem. and...

Second, because I wish to help out the community and spread the wealth. When my download is done, I will not log out and concider my job done. I want to help seed for others for as long as I can. I just hope all in the community feel the same way.

Boris

Dead right there m8 mines will be left on for at least he next 24 Hrs

Sorry i wasnt clear enough on that post when i say stuck at 4.1% im meant its been stuck there for about the last 100 megs lol

Thanks again

Dead right there m8 mines will be left on for at least he next 24 Hrs

WEll, I was thinking of just leaving my box runing for at least a week straight. I also take part in the SETI program so it is not unusual to run my box all night. Besides, I like seeing how long a Linux or Mac config will run before there is a problem. Wish I could say the same about Mr. Gates's product.

Lol mr gates what a chump

I said at least 24 hrs but yeah to be helping others i should really leave it on longer dont imagine it will self destruct yeah a week sounds good tho well i cant program or anything like that like you guys so if i leave the box for a week or even a good few days its helping out in 1 way huh