Dual nVidia Cards, Still Only Two Monitors... Want Three!

Eidola

8 posts in this topic

I have an nVidia 570 GTX (2.5gb RAM) and an nVidia 460 GTX (1.0gb RAM).

I have the 570 connected to a PCIe x16 slot, and the 460 is connected to a PCIe x1 slot using a x16 to x1 adaptor. I only want the monitors connected to the x1 PCIe port as a desktop extension, the 3D part of the 460 will not be used for gaming.

A single 1920x1080 resolution monitor is connected via DVI to the 570 and two additional monitors are connected to the 460, also via DVI. One of the monitors is 1280x1024, the other is 1024x1280 as it is rotated.

Under Windows all three monitors work perfectly, under OSX is seems I can only have one monitor active on the 460 at a time, which ever is plugged into the first DVI port... how can I get both monitors working under OSX at the same time?

I am running OSX 10.9.5 using the Enoch r2839 revision of Chameleon with the Graphics Enabler flag set to yes. I am also using the most recent nVidia Web Driver kexts.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide. Please also note that the second monitor connected to the 460 is just black, it does not display the 'no signal' error when connected, it just doesn't display anything and appears to be asleep. If I disconnect the cable the monitor gives a 'no signal' error, which when I plug the cable back in goes away but the screen goes black and the monitor enters sleep mode again. If I swap cables then the monitors switch, one works the other goes to black/sleep. 

Can OSX only support two monitors these days? I know I had three monitors working previously!

I'm going to guess you don't want my entire IOReg output? :)

OSX is detecting both video cards under Displays, however, it only shows one monitor on each card.

Also, for some reason during boot the graphics detection reports my 460 as having 4 billion MB of RAM, but once the system boots it changes to say 1 MB of video ram, the card actually has 1024 MB of video ram... though wouldn't 4 billion MB be nice? ;)

I looked through the IOReg a bit and it does list two distinct video cards, the 570 (with the correct 2.5gb of RAM) and the 460 and it does have a Display-A and Display-B entry for both.

What, specifically, would you like me to export from IOReg? Also, thank you very much for your reply. I have been doing the Hackintosh thing since the 10.4 Marklar release and love OSX very much, I really hope this issue can be resolved so I can once again have three monitors.

I just realised that when I had three monitors working previously I was using a different mainboard and CPU, also I was using the same 460 along with an 8800. Also I believe it was probably back in the 10.7 days so I don't know if Mavericks is making a difference. There are reports on Apple's discussion site of 10.9.3 only allowing people to use two monitors where they were previously using 3 or 4, but 10.9.4/5 was supposed to fix the issue.

I have my hackintosh set up as a MacPro 3,1... might that need to be changed? Or, perhaps there is a DSDT solution?

Again, thanks for your reply and assistance, it is greatly appreciated! :)

I will post the IOReg, thank you for your help. I haven't done it yet as currently I've been in Windows playing Neverwinter most of the day! :)

No, actually, I haven't tried the 460 on it's own under OSX, however, I do know both ports do indeed work on it under Windows.

Also, note that even connected to a 1x PCIe port both DVI outputs do work as I do have all 3 monitors working under Windows!

Please find attached my IOJones output! :)

Thanks again for your assistance!

EDIT: My comment about you may not want the whole thing was simply because I thought that may have been too much information to sort through. The last time I played with IO Registry stuff the nifty IOJones program didn't exist, now that it does it seems considerably easier to look through the IO Registry for other people!

Eidola.iojones.zip

We may have hit on something here... I recently changed both my mobo and my CPU so removed the old DSDT I had.

However, the new system seemingly worked perfectly without a DSDT and while I totally meant to look into patching it real-life issues arose and I totally forgot about it, especially since the system seemed to be working perfectly fine.

I am in Windows at the moment, however, I have extracted the DSDT using a Windows utility and attached it. If this DSDT will not suffice please let me know!

Thanks again for your assistance! :)

Well, this has all become moot as the video card in my server just died so I've had to stick my extra 460 that I was using into the server so I can watch TV again! :(

Thank you so much for your help, this problem will arise again when I get a new card for the server, but I won't be able to afford that for a while, unfortunately!

I really do appreciate the time you spent helping me, so thank you again! :)