HP z800 Stuck at grey screen with mouse after 10.9.5 update. Please Help.

3 posts in this topic

Hi, 

So I have:

HP Z800 Workstation
Dual Xeon x5670 6-core processors @2.93GHz 
48GB ECC Registered DDR3 1333 RAM installed (12 x 4GB sticks)

Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x 2G D5 or nVidia Quadro FX380 Graphics Card (Swapped back and forth to try things)

Installation So Far:

1) Managed to get OS X 10.9 installed using a ##### / ##### method (mainly since that is what I was familiar with from my last several installs).

2) Achievd native booting from HDD

3) Downloaded and installed 10.9.5 update from App Store.

4) Upon re-boot: The Apple loading screen finished and I am then moved to a plain grey screen with mouse cursor that lasts forever. (Occasional flickering with Quadro card and intermittent beach-ball.. Sapphire card will eventually beach-ball forever).

Currently:

1) -x (safe boot) will move to the login screen (after a few seconds) with either card installed, but this also renders the system useless for it's actual purpose: work.

2) With the Quadro card installed:

a) GraphicsEnabler=Yes is required or the screen simply goes blank/black once the Apple loading screen would appear.

b ) nv_disable=1 will allow the login screen to appear, but looks and runs terrible. 

c) -x booting and checking the console messages indicates that NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = DMA Engine Error (FIFO Error 8) and 

NDDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout! errors are occurring during the never-ending grey screen on normal boot attempts. 

3) With the Sapphire / 270x card installed:

a) GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No has no effect on the issue. (nv_disable=1 has no effect as well.. obviously).

b ) -x  booting and checking the console messages indicates that a WindowServer[88]: void __IOHIDEventQueueuRegister(): Timeout waiting for IOKit to be quiet error is occurring during the endless grey screen and is immediately preceded by Sandbox cache error 3850 and Sandbox cache error 11 database disk image is malformed errors. 

I have attempted permission and disk repair operations with no luck in solving this issue.

The initial issue only presented itself after the 10.9.5 update so I'm still not sure what changed / if anything in that update should be rolled back to a previous version based on what is happening?

Any help / fixes for this issue would be greatly appreciated as nothing I have searched out thus far has been of much help.

Thank you for the response.

Okay, so apparently I was unaware of committing some kind of community-specific taboo by mentioning the guides / tools that Google had found for me years ago in my first attempts at Hackintosh builds? I have no particular affinity for or loyalty to anything since at this point I've simply used what was readily available to reach a working system. 

I signed up and posted here because the threads and discussions here seemed to have an overall more detailed / in-depth tone and more instances of technical explanation.

That said, I looked through all of the links and read through a good chunk of that thread. There certainly seems to be a lot of useful information on the HP z-series workstations, and I suspect that a lot of it could be quite useful in creating more stable communication between my various OS installs and my specific hardware. (As a happy accident: comparing my own BIOS settings to yours revealed that a security setting was the reason why my front USB port had been inexplicably non-functional... so that's fun.) I am also hoping that the audio-related fixes might allow me to more directly support the built in audio and forgo the need for VoodooHDA.

I haven't however, found anything that would specifically speak to the particular issue that I am experiencing, although I am still looking. My installation in this instance is already completed and was perfectly functional before the update. Being stuck at this grey screen with cursor appears to be a result of something the update did and nothing I have seen or tried has had any effect on the boot process stopping there (with the exception of the console message changing with the installation of the better graphics card.)