Audio for ASUS Z97 Pro

hannele2

33 posts in this topic

I can't get the audio to work on this new install.

There is a built in sound card on this motherboard.

Also - I have HDMI monitor that has audio.

However - I'm using headphones straight from the headphone jack from the computer.

Will I need special drivers to get sound? Or do I just need to adjust something?

I've opened the sound settings in Preferences but I can't see anything.

As far as I know, your motherboard got ALC1150 codec. You can use CloverALC, RealtekALC or AppleALC. 

I suggest CloverALC or AppleALC, as they can be installed the vanilla way. :) 

Also one more thing, i'm not sure if this applies to your system configuration or not, but you might have to patch DSDT or change config.plist for HDAS to HDEF patch. 

• Like 1

Oh ok  - following Dwarfy's advice I should of course use simplest way!  Trying now...  For AppleALC.

But I can't find anything to download and install. Only some complex videos, using expressions I don't know.

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

use the release version 

Place the kext in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10

Thank you ! I'll try that as soon as I solved the issue of how to boot from the hard drive instead of from the USB stick....  Thank for trying to help me the other day. I really appreciate that you had a go - this seems really tricky.....

Also I am not quite sure what the actual kext is. Is it the whole folder, or just one on the files? 

Now you just need to inject audio in clover config.plist. 

You got ALC 1150 as far as I know, and that needs audio inject 1. 

But somehow when I helped you it said no audio codec found. Might want to double check with DPCIManager. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, your motherboard got ALC1150 codec. You can use CloverALC, RealtekALC or AppleALC. 

I suggest CloverALC or AppleALC, as they can be installed the vanilla way. :)

Also one more thing, i'm not sure if this applies to your system configuration or not, but you might have to patch DSDT or change config.plist for HDAS to HDEF patch. 

Hi again! I am still not successful with this! There has been an improvement though. The Realtek drivers are installed. I got help from somebody. Can't remember the nick but I remember the actual name - N.

I can now see various audio outputs, but there is no sound from any of them.

I think I need to open the Internal Speakers option and indicate that I'm using headphones. But I can't do that - no option.

I'm wondering if I'm better off trying Clover's audio or Apple ALC. Where would I be able to find some instructions about how to install it?

Hi again! I am still not successful with this! There has been an improvement though. The Realtek drivers are installed. I got help from somebody. Can't remember the nick but I remember the actual name - N.

I can now see various audio outputs, but there is no sound from any of them.

I think I need to open the Internal Speakers option and indicate that I'm using headphones. But I can't do that - no option.

I'm wondering if I'm better off trying Clover's audio or Apple ALC. Where would I be able to find some instructions about how to install it?

Hello Hannele, nice to see you again.

I think you mean stealsyourpizza, he helped you on TeamViewer as I remember. He's a good person. 

Anyhow, I think I told you this on the chat before, you got the "No codec found" issue. You need to research more about it and see what you can do. 

Regards,

Dwarfy 

• Like 1

Hello Hannele, nice to see you again.

I think you mean stealsyourpizza, he helped you on TeamViewer as I remember. He's a good person. 

Anyhow, I think I told you this on the chat before, you got the "No codec found" issue. You need to research more about it and see what you can do. 

Regards,

Dwarfy 

Hi! Nice to see you too :)  Yes that's right, it was stealsyourpizza who helped me.

I actually got past the "No codec found". I now get Input and Output devices. The problem now is that I'm still not getting any sound.  I will try to research a bit more on my own. I'll try to learn how to install codecs (i.e. kexts). I know people with my motherboard got it working, so it should be possible....

I think I just figured out how to solve my other issue with screen resolution of my second monitor  - old generic. So it's progressing, but a bit slow!

I'm getting so much help around here!  :lol:   It's really nice. I love this community.

ThankYou_checkeredflags_autodealercard.j

• Like 1

Hi! Nice to see you too :)  Yes that's right, it was stealsyourpizza who helped me.

I actually got past the "No codec found". I now get Input and Output devices. The problem now is that I'm still not getting any sound.  I will try to research a bit more on my own. I'll try to learn how to install codecs (i.e. kexts). I know people with my motherboard got it working, so it should be possible....

Sounds good, you should never give up. 

Some people have had issues with the latest AppleALC as far as I know. 

For CloverALC, you need to install Clover on the Mac drive, in a specific way, then you can just paste over and replace the EFI you got in the EFI partition made by clover on your Mac drive. (You might have done this already). 

Then modify your config.plist with kext to patch for appleHDA and realtek codec 1150. And add the realtekALC.kext in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10.Thereafter, you need to restart your computer and then run the terminal command patch for cloverALC. 

• Like 1

Really good explanation, thank you... 

At the moment my Clover installation is on the leftmost dpartition on this picture. So I need to copy it over straight onto the Mac partitioni?  Should I do that while in Mac or is it better to do it from another OS to avoid the files being locked.... ?

13721657.png

This is what it looks like on the EFI drive:

13721704.png

Really good explanation, thank you... 

At the moment my Clover installation is on the leftmost drive on this picture. So I need to copy it over straight onto the Mac Drive?  Should I do that while in Mac or is it better to do it from another OS to avoid the files being locked.... ?

13721657.png

You need to do this on your Mac side. Install clover on the Mac drive in a specific way, then EFI will be mounted with an EFI folder. Copy your old EFI  folder from the USB and replace it with the EFI folder in the EFI partition. 

***Update***

Wait, I think I might know why you don't have any audio. Maybe cuz your AppleHDA is not an "untouched" version. You would need to replace your AppleHDA kext with a new one in that case, and install it with kext wizard or something similar, then you would need to rebuild cache. 

Edited by Dwarfy
  • Like 1

Ok! I'll try both but I want to start with your later suggestion because I'm worried about breaking my multiboot setup which is a piece of art.... but breaks easily.

Also - I am worried about having to re-do all the settings in Clover. It took ages and I got lots of help. Don't want to start from scratch with that.....

Yeah I think I have the default AppleHDA but I am not completely sure - I still have no idea what I'm doing in Mac....

Which AppleHDA version should I replace it with and how do I do it?

Ok! I'll try both but I want to start with your later suggestion because I'm worried about breaking my multiboot setup which is a piece of art.... but breaks easily.

Yeah I think I have the default AppleHDA but I am not completely sure - I still have no idea what I'm doing in Mac....

Which AppleHDA version should I replace it with and how do I do it?

Don't worry on that part, I'll give you a clean AppleHDA.kext. Just wait for 20 min. 

You would have to get kext wizard or something similar to install it though. and then you would need to rebuild cache. 

• Like 1

Thank you!   :angel: OK! Now i'm in OS X ! Managed to fix my VGA monitor issue - now I can get the resolution I want on the second monitor. Big improvement. 

Let's see if I can do this.......

Step 1 - Kext Wizard Softpedia Download Now :)