HWSensors kernel panic and other problems

llamafilm

13 posts in this topic

I had a working Yosemite installation until today, when I installed HWSensors.  I used the pkg installer, and selected CPUSensors, GPUSensors, and LPCSensors.  That caused a kernel panic at boot, mentioning org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors in the backtrace.  First I deleted the CPUSensors plugin from inside FakeSMC.kext, but that didn't fix it.  Can't figure out why it was still trying to load CPUSensors, but anyway...

Then I deleted the whole FakeSMC.kext and replaced it with the vanilla one from the HWSensors binaries DMG.  That got me booting again.  So I installed GPUSensors and LPCSensors from the pkg.  Still booting fine.  Now when I add CPUSensors.kext to /S/L/E, I get the kernel panic and instant reboot.  

I tried adding CPUSensors to Clover's block kext line, and now I still get a reboot, but with a different message.  Now it mentions two other kexts in addition to CPUSensors in the backtrace.  How can I start troubleshooting this?  I'm running a 6950x with fakecpuid 0x0306F2.

This screenshot shows the results when CPUSensors is blocked by Clover.

For now I am just running without CPUSensors, and several sensors are incorrect.  GPU fan speed always shows 19rpm (obviously low).  CPU temp always shows 73C, regardless of load.  One case fan shows correct, but the other two show 0rpm.

post-1122323-0-60298200-1468965202_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

At first glance, it seems that Slice's version (rev 3.3) is an improvement over kozlek's build 1417, as I now have accurate temps for all 10 CPU cores. GeForceSensor fails to load for my Titan Black and 980 ti. ITE87x sensors doesn't add anything useful with my board.