BEST User data migration?

buzna

2 posts in this topic

I have MacBook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011, Processor 2.3 GHz Intel, 8 GB Memory. Running OS X 10.9.5. 

I have bought new SSD, installed partitioned/formated and installed 10.9.5 from scratch. So far, so good.

I would like to ask, what is, in your opinion, the best method to migrate user and SOME of his/her data, settings and profile? Background: It is my wife computer, no critical stuff, not many 3rd party apps, but profile was historically migrated few times and is full of "junk".

I can do things like

1/ CCC or another block copy, but that would take everything, literally everything. I probably do not want that.

2/ There is some recovery from Time Machine, I never tried, is it any good? How selective can I be in what to recover?

3/ There is migration assistant, again, little to no experience with that one, how selectively can I select what moves and what stays?

4/ Manual cp of selected folders or whatnot [which ones?] from old user directory?

What is good or best approach and why?

I definitely want to have 

1/ her music 

2/ her photos in iPhoto

3/ her emails

4/ her documents / desktop items / downloads

5/ her favorites in Safari? is it good idea? there will be like 1000 of them...

6/ passwords?

7/ suggest what am I missing? 

I might be missing some, can you suggest, what do you usually migrate for a user? I am perfectly fine with reinstall of handful of 3rd party applications by hand, again, say Skype, Handbrake, torrent client, VLC, that is about all she uses on that macbook pro...

I would like to avoid taking any flash, unused programs, obsolete stuff, fragments of few previous migrations, from an old ppc macbook 10 years ago, all that fat, that was making her perfectly fine macbook so slooooow. 

• 1 month later...