HDMI 2.0 for 4k 60hz?

swordsx48

13 posts in this topic

I know Mac doesn't support this because there are no Macs with HDMI 2.0. However, we are using an Nvidia driver, with an Nvidia card, so I'm sure there's a way we could get 60hz with 4k? If not, will using a displayport cable solve my problem? I hope so. Regardless, HDMI would be nice

ah so just the IOkit patch...

• "Enables HDMI2.0 on Nvidia Maxwell cards (Never tested this myself, for this you only need the IOKit patch not the Nvidia patch)"

I purchased a DisplayPort cable now, but it would be fun to make it work over HDMI...just because we are those kinds of people hahaha. But I also was facing random freezes that I wasn't before. I think Mac doesn't really like HDMI.

• Like 1

I went through this same problem and the IOkit patch didnt work. What happened was I got a Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 (3840x2160@60) Active Adapter. 

Eventually I got rid of the whole setup and got a monitor and used DisplayPort 1.2 natively - much better experience and clarity in visuals.

• Like 1

I went through this same problem and the IOkit patch didnt work. What happened was I got a Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 (3840x2160@60) Active Adapter. 

Eventually I got rid of the whole setup and got a monitor and used DisplayPort 1.2 natively - much better experience and clarity in visuals.

Well luckily, my purchased monitor had DisplayPort. So I used the cable and immediately Mac worked at 60hz 4k. Great! The freezing when going to full screen has become less but still occurs sometimes. Any help with that? Windows had a problem at first, for some reason running at 30hz but I updated the Nvidia drivers and it was all perfect.

I can see this being a problem for a monitor which only has HDMI 2.0. In which case, you would NEED that IOKit patch to work.

As for the freezing, I did some googling and I was already on iMac 12,2 and I now tried 14,1 because I have an LGA 1150 i5-4690K but it's about the same amount. Also freezes when plugging in a USB drive sometimes.

TL;DR: DisplayPort fixes 60hz 4k with Mac. Still freezes when going full screen?

• 1 year later...

Was this solved in anyway on Sierra? The patch that worked on El Cap, does not work on Sierra.
people just accepted that they need adapters? I ask because I'm not able to find updated discussions about this.

• Like 1

Was this solved in anyway on Sierra? The patch that worked on El Cap, does not work on Sierra.

people just accepted that they need adapters? I ask because I'm not able to find updated discussions about this.

Try finding a Sierra IOKit patch, and if it doesn't work, you'll need an adapter. You're using a TV I presume?

I Just bought an adapter from Dell (http://accessories.la.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=br&l=pt&s=dhs&cs=brdhs1&sku=492-bbxx) and it works beautifully on Windows.

But I still can't get 4K@60hz on MacOS Sierra. 

I plugin the TV, the signal goes through and it works for a minute or so, then the screen starts blinking, then goes black and freezes the computer. 

Right now I'm on Imac 17,1 SMBIOS. Used to use MacPro 3,1, then iMac 14,2. I thought I could try some other options to see if it works, but no success. 

The GPU is Geforce 1050.
The TV is a Sony X835D

I starting to feel frustrated.

@guzferreira that's the wrong adapter. Your GPU already has DisplayPort and HDMI. You want the opposite adapter to plug into your TV and give you HDMI out. Not sure how you used it with Windows, but I suppose you plugged that into your GPU and your TV has displayport out? In which case you don't need any adapter.

@guzferreira that's the wrong adapter. Your GPU already has DisplayPort and HDMI. You want the opposite adapter to plug into your TV and give you HDMI out. Not sure how you used it with Windows, but I suppose you plugged that into your GPU and your TV has displayport out? In which case you don't need any adapter.

Not sure If I understand you. The way I see, MacOS doesn't support the HDMI 2.0 in my GPU so I have to use the DisplayPort Out with an adapter since my TV doesn't have a DisplayPort In. You seem to suggest the opposite: I need and adapter to plug in my TV HDMI In and then send it to the DisplayPort Out on my GPU. But I don't believe there is such an adapter (HDMI -> DisplayPort). At least, didn't see anybody online saying they did that. 

The one I got is DisplayPort -> HDMI. I plugged it to the DisplayPort Out in the GPU, then used a HDMI cable to go to the HDMI In on the TV. As I understood, it's the same as this adapter that reportedly was working (https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54). I didn't get this one because it's insanely expensive here in Brazil (R$300 (U$ 95) as opposed to the R$100 (U$30) from Dell). Since I find Dell to be very reliable, and the site is informing that was capable of adapting to HDMI 2.0, I decided to try it out. Like I said, it did work on windows, but not on MacOS.

I don't know...